Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB 1 - 5 Celebrity Big Brother series 1 to 5 from 2001-2008.

Old 16-01-2007, 03:20 PM #1

Default These racism claims

Sorry but I think these calls of racism against Shilpa is a load of a bollocks.

As much as I loathe Jade, Jack and Danielle, I don't think even they would stupid enough to be overtly racist in front of cameras and millions of people. We've already had people misread a bleeped four letter word as '****' which was never said but has already been taken as fact and discussed at length by viewers.

From what I've read on this board (bearing in mind I haven't seen the programme since last week) it does appear that poor Shilpa is being bullied by a nasty bunch of girls, but I don't think its because she is Indian. There is no way C4 would tolerate it and allow it to be televised if that was the case.

As for this mocking of Shilpa's accent and calling it racist, please, don't be so small-minded will you. Is doing a funny French or American accent racist too then? Would I be racist for mocking a Geordie or Brum accent? My boss at work is from Cheshire and I'm forever mocking the way he speaks! He doesnt call me racist. You people are being really silly over this. No wonder we Brits have lost our sense of humour because we've so worried about being accused of racism over the smallest of things.

Yet again you've all shown yourselves as being typical tabloid armchair judge and jury, spewing out accusations and devaluing the word 'racism'.
AndyJK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 03:22 PM #2

Mocking somones accent in a nasty way is racism in my book.
Psylocke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 03:23 PM #3

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyJK
Sorry but I think these calls of racism against Shilpa is a load of a ********.

As much as I loathe Jade, Jack and Danielle, I don't think even they would stupid enough to be overtly racist in front of cameras and millions of people. We've already had people misread a bleeped four letter word as '****' which was never said but has already been taken as fact and discussed at length by viewers.

From what I've read on this board (bearing in mind I haven't seen the programme since last week) it does appear that poor Shilpa is being bullied by a nasty bunch of girls, but I don't think its because she is Indian. There is no way C4 would tolerate it and allow it to be televised if that was the case.

As for this mocking of Shilpa's accent and calling it racist, please, don't be so small-minded will you. Is doing a funny French or American accent racist too then? Would I be racist for mocking a Geordie or Brum accent? My boss at work is from Cheshire and I'm forever mocking the way he speaks! He doesnt call me racist. You people are being really silly over this. No wonder we Brits have lost our sense of humour because we've so worried about being accused of racism over the smallest of things.

Yet again you've all shown yourselves as being typical tabloid armchair judge and jury, spewing out accusations and devaluing the word 'racism'.
^ The voice of reason
Nowhere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 03:23 PM #4

Quote:
Originally posted by psylocke
So if I mocked someone's brum accent in a nasty way I am racist?
Old 16-01-2007, 03:25 PM #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Nowhere
Quote:

^ The voice of reason
TOTALLY AGREE
ttw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 03:27 PM #6

Quote:

^ The voice of reason
Well I'm just fed up of these people and their self-righteous attitutes always thinking they're right and taking the morale high ground acting as judge, jury and executioner.

I know they mean well and I can understand how they feel about Shilpa being bullied by vile Jade and her horrible little group of gobshites, but the word racism is thrown about too often in my book. And I think to say mocking Shilpa's accent as racist is political correctness gone barmy.
Old 16-01-2007, 03:27 PM #7

Quote:
You therefore cannot deny that Shilpa is racist as she too has mocked Jade's , Jackiey's , Jo's and Danielle's accent.

She also burst out laughing at Jade's pronounciation of the word "whale"
Old 16-01-2007, 03:29 PM #8

Quote:
Quote:
If you are doing it in a nasty way,then yes it is.
and you dont seem to be able to understand the concept of indirect rasism aswell.

How about you go and look up all the nasty things that have been said about shilpa in the house by jade and co,and nearly 99% of the time her race has come into it.

racism
Old 16-01-2007, 03:30 PM #9

Quote:
Originally posted by ttw
Quote:
You therefore cannot deny that Shilpa is racist as she too has mocked Jade's , Jackiey's , Jo's and Danielle's accent.

READ what i said,i said IN A NASTY WAY.
Old 16-01-2007, 03:31 PM #10

Quote:
Quote:
it stops being a game when the person affected is in floods of tears... we are all guilty of trying to take off asian accents, although i don't think jo is as bad as jade, jack, and danielle for their part in this rediculous banter/bullying (for want of a better word) jo knew she would get a laugh out of the others for her take off of shilpa.. i think jo is getting drawn into a silly game of cat and mouse with jade and danielle being the "cats"
zira is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 03:31 PM #11

Quote:
Originally posted by ttw
Quote:

we all take the pee out of Jade's language skills, the difference is Shilpa speaks better English than Jade and its not even her first language......
easypeasy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 03:32 PM #12

Quote:
Originally posted by ttw
Quote:
Quote:

^ The voice of reason
TOTALLY AGREE
Excellent post, well said
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 03:32 PM #13

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you are doing it in a nasty way,then yes it is.
and you dont seem to be able to understand the concept of indirect rasism aswell.

How about you go and look up all the nasty things that have been said about shilpa in the house by jade and co,and nearly 99% of the time her race has come into it.

racism
You don't even know the meaning of the word.
Old 16-01-2007, 03:33 PM #14

Quote:

Spot on Andy. Jade and co are spiteful, vindictive and petty - but there is no evidence of racism as far as I can tell.
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 03:35 PM #15

If they're racist then so is shilpa for making fun of jades, Dannielles and jos accent and the way they pronounced 'whale'
gemmalou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 03:38 PM #16

I think Jackiey was more guilty of it than anyone..
Diablo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 03:38 PM #17

Quote:
Originally posted by gemmalou
If they're racist then so is shilpa for making fun of jades, Dannielles and jos accent and the way they pronounced 'whale'
Exactly, even though I don't think impersonating someones accent is racist, if Jo Jade etc are guilty of it, so is Shilpa.
Nowhere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 03:39 PM #18

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ttw
Quote:

Bursting out loud at the way someone talks infront of a group of people, can be to some people humiliating. If Jade started crying cos she felt Shilpa took the piss, it could be seen as Shilpa being inconsiderate towards Jade's feelings and therefore nasty.

Although, I don't think Shilpa meant it in anyway nasty and I don't think Jade took it as a major offense.

What I am saying is it is being twisted, and them mocking her accent doesn't mean they are racist.
Old 16-01-2007, 03:39 PM #19

I dont think doing an accent is racist.. i try scouse loads.. lol
Diablo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 03:41 PM #20

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ttw
Quote:

So Shilpa is racist for mocking Jade's accent then. Yes?
Old 16-01-2007, 03:52 PM #21

Mocking someones accent and saying a joke is a fine thing, but mocking somones accent and higlighting them in a bad way is bad thing to do.
Its not just racism going on there, they have single handedly been picking on her, in other words bullying her.

Jackiey asks Shilpa if she lives in a "house or shack". Jade is now a millionaire, is she living in a "shack?" And Shilpa is a billionaire in her country so why wpuld she be living in a shack?
Jackiey referring to Shilpa as "That Indian" isn't fair.
Jackiey calling Shilpa "Princess" because Jackiey believes Shilpas waits on hands and knees on her house helpers, that isn't acceptable as this is an alleged view point and she should make it a point to learn her name.
Danielle could pronounce Shilpas' name fine but then in between she realised she didn't have a brain and started acting like a ****** and calling her "Shibloo".
Jack saying he hated and that too without having known her.
Danielle saying Shilpa is "just the cook", yet she complains how she is always cooking, make-up your mind your sl**er. They don't want to eat her food yet they expect it.
Danielle calling Shilpa a "dog" when in actualiity the 3 bitchers have been barking non stop, don't realise they are the ones with dog like antics.
Danielle says she wants to eat her own food, so Shilpa says for her to make the mash and vegetables only to get the response by ****** Danielle "I don't know how to cook".

All in all, this is Bullying
S2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 03:56 PM #22

I dont think they would be racist especially Jo because remember Bradley from s club 7 even though he was british she wouldnt be judging on the colour of the skin a dont know bout the other two but I think its been taking too far
texbex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 04:01 PM #23

So what? Just being she is accepting of black person, it doesn't automatically make her accepting of an asian person
S2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 04:11 PM #24

Jackiey's constant 'Indian' digs at Shilpa were very unpleasant, and that set the tone, but she's gone now.

I think for the Jade gang the main reason they targeted Shilpa for their bullying was because of their cultural ignorance rather than it being a racial matter.

Put it this way, if there had been instead, say, a French housemate they would have reacted in a similar manner as they do with Shilpa.

But if there was a British Asian girl (similar in age and upbringing to them) in the house I think Jade and co would have accepted her presence. So I think their problems are to do with ignorance of other cultures rather than racial predjudice.

What do you think?
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 04:14 PM #25

I think Jade Danielle and jo, have said more to offend Shilpa than anyone. However, i dont think the rasist remarks have been that strong for all this discussion. Shilpa is guilty of rasist remarks as everyone else.
Emilee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
claims, racism