Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Sport Talk about all the latest events from the world of sport here

Old 24-02-2016, 08:48 PM #1

Default Female sports stars missing out on endorsements to models and pop stars

Quote:
.... Girls got to play instead of cheerlead, but our sports viewing habits did not change. Why? The reason is that, while schools had to change and let girls play sports, the media was allowed to continue its old ways of ignoring women’s sports. A primary reason why we do not perceive male and female athletes equally is that the media treat women’s sports like second-class citizens, and advertisers only follow suit.

Bottom line, our attitude toward women’s athletes is shaped by sports media and Madison Avenue. And Madison Avenue sets the standard for our double standard of social currency among men (rich/winner/athletic) and women (attractive/youthful).

When it comes to male athletes, all that matters is whether you win at one of the major sports. The general rule is that if you are a winner — the best in the business — then you will be rewarded handsomely with endorsements or marketing deals like Michael Jordan, Shaquille O’Neal, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James or Kevin Durant, to name a few. In marked contrast, the sports brands realized over the years that you don’t have to pay top women athletes the big bucks no matter what.

For example, when we represented Lisa Leslie, the best player in the WNBA, Nike kept reducing its offers to her even as she got better and more dominant as a player. The reasoning was that Nike discovered that male athletes were still driving the sales of the shoes anyway (girls looked up to the male athletes more because of the additional exposure and promotion that they received).

More recently, as women have been wearing workout gear or athletic apparel throughout the day (as men have done for years), the sports brands have started to experiment with different approaches seeing this as a growth market. Now, there is much more emphasis on whether a female athlete is attractive and youthful, rather than the best in the world. In fact, it is arguably better to be an athletic youthful model rather than an athlete who happens to be attractive (at least from Under Armour’s perspective). All of this is completely in line with Madison Avenue’s view of how to market women.

There was quite a bit of chatter around Under Armour’s signing of Bundchen to a reportedly whopping deal to be the face of its women’s athletic footwear and apparel line. Obviously, she is super-attractive, athletic and perhaps even a remarkable lady, but she certainly is not considered a world-class athlete nor is she the best in the world at a sport that large numbers of girls play (i.e. soccer, basketball or volleyball).

But who can argue with Under Armour’s results in light of the growth for its women’s business as a result of the “I Will” campaign?

I appreciate attractive female athletes, but I don’t think that being physically attractive should be the initial criterion when a sports brand is deciding whether to sign a woman endorser. But it seems the women who are buying the product don’t really care about this.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jou...d-Armato.aspx?

No wonder girls would rather be a footballer's WAG (wife) than an actual footballer in her own right. Colleen Rooney's sports endorsements dwarf anything actual women footballers get. Models Gisele and Karlie Kloss have athletic endorsements. And we get mad when female sports stars take kickbacks / dope/ throw matches for cash?

Last edited by alex_front2; 24-02-2016 at 09:00 PM.
alex_front2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 02:36 PM #2
My keyboard is bullocks

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
CBBUSA: Mark McGrath

My keyboard is bullocks

Favourites (more):

It's a darn shame really.

Although here most of the more recognizable US Women's Football (Soccer) team members have deals with Nike and are featured in their soccer ads too. (because they can actually play the game unlike the men's team)
Nintendo ID (Wii U): BRLNerd
BBfanUSA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 02:46 PM #3
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBfanUSA View Post
It's a darn shame really.

Although here most of the more recognizable US Women's Football (Soccer) team members have deals with Nike and are featured in their soccer ads too. (because they can actually play the game unlike the men's team)
Yeah with the USWNT, I've never seen such positive role models for young girls and it kind of annoys me we don't really have that here in the UK. The US team winning the world cup last year was just incredible and I'd love for more girls to have goals to be like the US women team, rather than like, idk, Rooneys wife.
Old 28-02-2016, 03:07 AM #4
My keyboard is bullocks

Favourites (more):

My keyboard is bullocks

Favourites (more):

Yeah, they're idolized by girls in the soccer community. I've seen a couple skin care ads here featuring Alex Morgan and Christen Press for Nuetrogena during the world cup. Abby's been featured in a Mini Cooper ad as well about stereotypes (since she's openly gay) but she recently retired from soccer all together, but it looks like she'll become a pundit however. Maybe for the Men's game s
Nintendo ID (Wii U): BRLNerd
BBfanUSA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
endorsements, female, missing, models, pop, sports, stars