Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB18 Celebrity Big Brother Summer 2016 [CBB 18] won by Stephen Bear here.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:35 PM #1
Zakaccino

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Saira Khan
Zakaccino

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Saira Khan
Default HuffPost - 'It’s About Time CBB Stopped Letting Unacceptable Behaviour Go Unpunished'

Quote:
Controversy is never far away where Celebrity Big Brother is concerned, and the new series has proved to be no different since its launch last week, with several housemates already sparking a backlash with their actions inside the TV compound.

However, a worrying trend has emerged in the few days the current run has been on air. It seems that you’ll be more severely punished for discussing nominations than if you display any sort of unacceptable behaviour, as bosses have so far ignored two separate calls from the public for action to be taken against some of the more controversial contestants.

Many viewers, including myself, watched in disgust as Marnie Simpson flashed her breasts in the face of Loose Women panellist Saira Khan earlier this week, after the Geordie Shore star was dared to issue a prank apology to her, following an argument they’d had earlier in the day.

“I need to ask you a very serious question,” Marnie said as she marched up to Saira. “Do you think we had the big confrontation because I feel like I’ve got better boobs than you?” she asked, before whipping down her top and shaking her bare breasts in Saira’s face.

At this point, it’s worth remembering that during last year’s civilian series, Aaron Frew was removed from the house after exposing himself to fellow housemate Joel Williams. His ejection also came despite the fact Joel insisted he was not bothered about the incident, and it being apparent his actions were part of a playful joke that had gone too far.

In stark contrast, Marnie‘s behaviour was a clear attempt to embarrass, humiliate and intimidate Saira, and smacked of her attempting to show Saira she was not part of her cool little gang. Given it also took place after the pair had a confrontation, it’s also hard to interpret Marnie’s actions in any other way than as aggressive.

To me, if you are using your sexuality in an confrontational or unsolicited way, that boils down to sexual harassment. It’s irrelevant what gender you are, or who you are doing it to, and I can pretty much guarantee the situation would have been dealt with very differently if it had been a man shoving his genitals in Saira’s face.

Saira was also praised by some fans on Twitter for dealing with the issue in a calm manner. However, this isn’t something we should be praising.

If someone is violated, we should not encourage them to be “calm” about it - we should be telling them to shout about it as loud as they can, to shame the perpetrators and have them held accountable. While Saira may have said she was “fine” following the incident, that still does not make what Marnie did acceptable either. All that does it make that sort of behaviour excusable, and make others afraid to speak out if they find themselves in similar situations.

Meanwhile, viewers have also been feeling let down by the (formerly-titled) showbiz legend, Christopher Biggins and ‘Mob Wives’ star Renee Graziano, following some disparaging remarks they made about bisexual people.

Biggins - a proud gay man himself - sparked outrage when he said in a conversation about sexuality with Renee: “I think the worst type though, I’m afraid to say, is the bisexuals. What it is, is people not wanting to admit they’re gay... be honest, that’s what you’ve got to be.” Renee then added: “You can pick any one you want! But you have to pick a team.”

Viewers accused Biggins and Renee of “blatant biphobia” and delegitimising bisexuality, with many taking to Twitter to question why the pair hadn’t been pulled up on their comments.

It’s particularly sad that a member of the LGBT community has proved bi-erasure is a real problem, but bosses also reinforced the damaging stigma that bisexual people constantly face - that being “bi” is not a “real” thing and that those who identify with the term are confused or lying to themselves. Is this what we’re willing to accept from a reality TV show in 2016?

With it since being confirmed that the pair will not face any repercussions, you do have to question whether if Biggins and Renee had made the comments about gay or trans people, would the producers’ decision have been the same?

What both of these examples demonstrate is that Big Brother has a responsibility to act upon the events that happen inside the house. While the show has always held a mirror up to society and the issues within it, that is not enough any more - it should be seeking to challenge problematic behaviours and opinions wherever possible. And by not punishing Marnie, Biggins or Renee - or at least explaining to them why their actions were wrong - producers are sending out a message that they condone what they have said and done.

I thought lessons had been learnt from the infamous Jade Goody race row fiasco back in 2007, but evidently things haven’t changed that much over the last nine years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ashl...ml?1470160866&
Some valid points raised tbh.

Spoiler:

zakman440 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:38 PM #2
Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

HuffPost says a lot of things I agree with
Old 02-08-2016, 06:43 PM #3
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):

regarding the bisexuality chat - bb should instead to trying to police housemates opinions they should do tasks like the ones in bb3 where they had to sit down and had to discuss and debate certain issues.

The Marnie thing with saira was just taken too seriously and people need to get the **** over it. I think comparing it to the Aaron incident is silly because all marine did was wave her bare chest in her her face she didn't get her genitals out and try to rub them on her.

Huffpost being ott and way too PC ✓

armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:46 PM #4
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron

To me, if you are using your sexuality in an confrontational or unsolicited way, that boils down to sexual harassment. It’s irrelevant what gender you are, or who you are doing it to

Excellent point
Old 02-08-2016, 06:49 PM #5
baddie

Favourites (more):

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
To me, if you are using your sexuality in an confrontational or unsolicited way, that boils down to sexual harassment. It’s irrelevant what gender you are, or who you are doing it to

Excellent point
Marnie didn't explicitly do the boob shake in a sexual way. so whether or not she was using her sexuality is arguable.

armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:58 PM #6
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

I'm glad they're being less PC this year. Just because someone says something that could be offensive to a lot of people doesn't mean they should be punished for it. I do think Marnie should have been warned though bc that was bordering on harassment
Greg! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:07 PM #7
Team Grrumpy

Team Grrumpy

A bit surprised nothing was mentioned in this article about the boys harassing James Whale beyond endurance. This would have added extra gravitas to the opening paragraphs. This production team need to sort themselves out! They got punished for talking about noms but nothing has been said to them about appropriate behaviour.
mr rochester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:37 PM #8
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Adam
BB12: Harry
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Adam
BB12: Harry

What a load of PCs tosh. It's a cooking reality show. Deal with it and put the pic stick away.
sampvt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:43 PM #9
Namaste

Namaste

Brilliant article

Marnie defenders can moan about people needing to get the **** over it all they want, I for one am glad a lot of people aren't rushing to drop it so easily.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:53 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr rochester View Post
A bit surprised nothing was mentioned in this article about the boys harassing James Whale beyond endurance. This would have added extra gravitas to the opening paragraphs. This production team need to sort themselves out! They got punished for talking about noms but nothing has been said to them about appropriate behaviour.
I thought that too. The bi topic was after all only their opinion, whereas James was being physically intimidated.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 PM #11
No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand.kay View Post
regarding the bisexuality chat - bb should instead to trying to police housemates opinions they should do tasks like the ones in bb3 where they had to sit down and had to discuss and debate certain issues.

The Marnie thing with saira was just taken too seriously and people need to get the **** over it. I think comparing it to the Aaron incident is silly because all marine did was wave her bare chest in her her face she didn't get her genitals out and try to rub them on her.

Huffpost being ott and way too PC ✓
That would require intelligence from the cast that only about two of this series possess

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
behaviour, cbb, huffpost, it’s, letting, stopped, time, unacceptable, unpunished