Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB19 Celebrity Big Brother January 2017 [CBB 19] [All Stars and New Stars] was won by Coleen Nolan.

Old 25-09-2016, 10:14 AM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Keith Chegwin
BB15: Mark

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Keith Chegwin
BB15: Mark
Default Channel 5's Big Brother 5 years on

I have been a fan of the show since it started in 2000 when my best mate and I had to watch it for General Studies and I caught some of the episodes and saw Craig's win and when he so unselfishly gave his winnings away which brought tears of happiness to my eyes, as he was such a nice, giving guy and a deserved winner all those years back.

I was devastated when the show was axed in 2009 on 4 as I thought Big Brother could be a format that could run and run. The viewing figures weren't what they were, but the launch figure was around 6 million.

When I learned it was going to move to 5, I was happy and thought they would inject a fresh impetus into the franchise. Brian Dowling I thought was a great choice and the idea of Bit on The Side took a while to accept but worked well.

However, 5 years on I am beginning to worry whether Big Brother will have a future. I think it has been damaged irreparably by bear's win and viewers have no real draw or reason to watch unless there are major changes.

The new set is superb and it is very reminiscent of the first ever house where the crowd was in close proximity and there was an amazing atmosphere. It is a shame the production team are insistent on TOWIE, Made in Chelsea, Geordie Shore characters filling the celebrity house.

We have had some pretty decent housemates enter the celebrity house on 5. Gary Busey was a hilarious addition and the series with Jim Davidson was one of the best.

I think they really need to have a good mix of household names and stop pandering to these rubbish reality TV stars. Big Brother is Big Brother. I want my Big Brother back.
thediaryroomchair is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 10:18 AM #2

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

It's never gonna come back unless Miss Armand becomes producer. And even then she'll be casting Megan McKenna as a returnee every series.
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 10:42 AM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediaryroomchair View Post
I have been a fan of the show since it started in 2000 when my best mate and I had to watch it for General Studies and I caught some of the episodes and saw Craig's win and when he so unselfishly gave his winnings away which brought tears of happiness to my eyes, as he was such a nice, giving guy and a deserved winner all those years back.

I was devastated when the show was axed in 2009 on 4 as I thought Big Brother could be a format that could run and run. The viewing figures weren't what they were, but the launch figure was around 6 million.

When I learned it was going to move to 5, I was happy and thought they would inject a fresh impetus into the franchise. Brian Dowling I thought was a great choice and the idea of Bit on The Side took a while to accept but worked well.

However, 5 years on I am beginning to worry whether Big Brother will have a future. I think it has been damaged irreparably by bear's win and viewers have no real draw or reason to watch unless there are major changes.

The new set is superb and it is very reminiscent of the first ever house where the crowd was in close proximity and there was an amazing atmosphere. It is a shame the production team are insistent on TOWIE, Made in Chelsea, Geordie Shore characters filling the celebrity house.

We have had some pretty decent housemates enter the celebrity house on 5. Gary Busey was a hilarious addition and the series with Jim Davidson was one of the best.

I think they really need to have a good mix of household names and stop pandering to these rubbish reality TV stars. Big Brother is Big Brother. I want my Big Brother back.
Jim Davidson is AWFUL in CBB.
Epic. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 11:14 AM #4
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron

Im gonna look at the cast before deciding to watch it.. If theres too many 'reality stars' in cbb or too many 'models' or wannabees in the civilian, I'm gonna give it a miss.

C5 have ruined it, little point pretending its still good.

Its not just a terrible cast that ruins it, the producer manipulation pisses me off, the rules regarding nominations changes all the time depending on who the top 2 are/who has more than one nom/ who has more than 2 noms...

It used to ne good because it was a weird and great mix of reality tv, a game show and a social experiment.

But because they fake scenes, because the producers change the rules to save whoever they want and because they havent mixed up the personalities in the cast ever, its now none of those things.
Old 25-09-2016, 11:35 AM #5
-

-

Meh BB reached its natural end by 2007. C5 are just dragging it on its last leg.
Jason. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 11:43 AM #6
Sod orf

Sod orf

The only way to get it back is for 24 hour life feed to return, because that way, they won't be able to script the show, which is what they do now.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 12:58 PM #7
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal. View Post
It's never gonna come back unless Miss Armand becomes producer. And even then she'll be casting Megan McKenna as a returnee every series.
It really is the only way to save the show.

Last edited by armand.kay; 25-09-2016 at 12:59 PM.
armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 01:49 PM #8

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB22: Nick Leeson

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB22: Nick Leeson

It's confusing.

The show will never be like it was pre BB8. But they have had their ups on C5 too. IMO BB11 was pretty terrible and a lot of series (mostly CBB ones) have been better than BB11... and IMO CBB has been generally good on C5, in fact better than C4. Take out CBB3/4, the C4 years were pretty bad for CBB.

However the recent CBB left a bad taste in my mouth after a great civilian series. IMO, BB17 saved civilian BB on C5 (critical acclaim wise) but CBB18 damaged the CBB series after an impressive CBB run.

Basically, what I'm saying is that, it will never be groundbreaking anymore because back then it was new and fresh, nowadays everything has been done. BUT there can be some very good series coming out still. Just needs good cast and good production/tasks. BB17 had the former but not the latter.

One thing for a start would be 24/7 feed but that will never ever happen again.

Last edited by *mazedsalv**; 25-09-2016 at 01:49 PM.
*mazedsalv** is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:43 AM #9
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mazedsalv** View Post
However the recent CBB left a bad taste in my mouth after a great civilian series. IMO, BB17 saved civilian BB on C5 (critical acclaim wise) but CBB18 damaged the CBB series after an impressive CBB run.

Basically, what I'm saying is that, it will never be groundbreaking anymore because back then it was new and fresh, nowadays everything has been done. BUT there can be some very good series coming out still. Just needs good cast and good production/tasks. BB17 had the former but not the latter
I second that.
I think it's necessary to make BB adapt to 2016 because a) something like the first series wouldn't work nowadays b) it will be boring having the same thing without refreshing changes every series. The problem is that C5 and Endemol execute it pretty awful. They lost creativity very quickly and they don't come up with something better. BB17 proved that a good cast can make it or break it, even with the production being mediocre.
The only thing that can save BB in the long run imo is a break of a few years and then a reboot in a new channel. I doubt it, though. CBB18 has shown that C5 treats it as a pimp-spot for other RTV shows, they actually think that it's what BB meant to be from now on. They're drowning their own flagship.

Spoiler:

Shifra, Tzabar, Ranin. BBIL 2008.
y.winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:32 AM #10

All a bit gloomy. I suppose it's natural to highlight the negatives, and let's face it C5 gives us plenty, but I'll be looking forward to the next series along with millions of others so it's not dead yet.
I doubt I could take another Bear, but hopefully he was a one off. I'm sure there's more mileage in nicer characters so C5, if only for the sake of change, should move the show in a better direction. C5 are greedy and not very creative, but I'm sure they will decide basing the whole show around one bully has got a bit tired now.
johne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:45 AM #11

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Isabelle

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Sarah Harding
BB18: Isabelle

And the most annoying thing is that it's clear that the public want a return to what the show used to be. Just look at how popular the Outsiders were compared to the TOWIE-style Insiders. BB14 also had a cast very reminiscent of a C4 series with all the varied characters, and it scored the highest ratings for a series on C5.

I know Bear won and whatnot, but that was simply because he was shoved down everyone's throats so much that no one else really got a look in.
Lush is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
big brother 5, channel 5, years