Notices

CBB 1 - 5 Celebrity Big Brother series 1 to 5 from 2001-2008.

Old 26-01-2017, 05:02 PM #1

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):

Default Some context for CBB5

As I'm watching it out of context 10 years later and it's a series that very much needs the press/general public reaction to give a full viewing experience of it, could someone please update me on the opinions of the press/general public in the early days of the series?

I think Danielle and Jo come across well. There seems to be something off with Jade from the outset. Did the public pick up on this? Was Jackiey disliked for her treatment of Shilpa or were the public less concerned with that in the grand scheme of things?
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 05:34 PM #2
Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):

There's loads of news clips on YT that talk about Jackiey I think? Her treatment of Shilpa was definitely seen as worse as the Jade stuff went on, papers like Daily Mail did pick up on things like her calling Shilpa 'the Indian' and stuff.

It was basically called a dull series until all the controversy... Jade was the main fave but Danielle was liked too (Davina said she really liked her during one live eviction)
Old 26-01-2017, 05:45 PM #3
-

-

I think a lot of the love Danielle got at the beginning was because of how popular Chantelle became in CBB4. I think a lot of people saw her as the "Chantelle" of the series in the first week because she was young, inoffensive (was at that time), good-looking, not really all that famous and in a house filled with all these other celebrities and their big egos, if that make sense.
Jason. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 05:49 PM #4

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
There's loads of news clips on YT that talk about Jackiey I think? Her treatment of Shilpa was definitely seen as worse as the Jade stuff went on, papers like Daily Mail did pick up on things like her calling Shilpa 'the Indian' and stuff.

It was basically called a dull series until all the controversy... Jade was the main fave but Danielle was liked too (Davina said she really liked her during one live eviction)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason. View Post
I think a lot of the love Danielle got at the beginning was because of how popular Chantelle became in CBB4. I think a lot of people saw her as the "Chantelle" of the series in the first week because she was young, inoffensive (was at that time), good-looking, not really all that famous and in a house filled with all these other celebrities and their big egos, if that make sense.
Thank you.

Danielle has come across really well I think. She's funny and upbeat (which is shocking considering she's very monotone now), she seems very friendly, she's a mix of a ditz and clever and her crying because she realised her dad does hard work for nowhere near the amount of money she earns for doing nothing felt real surprisingly because usually stuff like that feels forced. It's a shame she must become a racist at some point because she's probably my favourite at the moment.

Jade seems nice but 'off' compared to how I've seen her before. She keeps defending Shilpa against Jackiey which is good - it only seems to be Shilpa she defends over Jackiey, everyone else that Jackiey clashes with Jade usually intervenes and clashes with that person as well.
Old 26-01-2017, 05:58 PM #5
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

I'm sure the media did pick up on Jackiey's comments, but having watched her evicion interview they were completely glossed over by Davina. They were made light of, and her it's almost as if Davina (was prompted) allowed Jackiey to use the excuse that she wasn't able to pronounce names in general.

The night Carole was evicted, Davina praised Jade so much (she even said "that's why we love her", and Carole agreed with her and gave Jade so many compliments). Then at the end of that eviction interview Davina gleefully said "Apparently it's all kicking off between Shlipa and Jade & Danielle".

Carole's interview was seven whole days before Jade was evicted, so within those 7 days that's when the furore officially started. The media coverage amped up and it basically climaxed with Jade's argument with Shlipa about the Oxo cube, which is probably a big reason why Jade got more of a raw deal than the other two girls.

The craziest thing about the whole ordeal is that it only took seven days for the whole thing escalate and become what it was.
Braden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 06:07 PM #6
-

-

Jo was the launch night favourite to win iirc or at least really high in the odds. She came across well but she also had the S Club fanbase. I remember liking her at the beginning when it aired but when I re-watched the series last year, I found she was quite dull. Even before all the race row stuff kicked off, she wasn't featured all that outside of the first few days.

Someone on here made a really great post in regards to Jade and her family entering during my CBB5 re-watch last year. I think it was about how the public were highly against the idea of Jade entering from the moment speculation began pre-series and when it became true, a lot of the viewers were annoyed and would pretty much find anything to use against Jade so when the whole hostility towards Shilpa began the public (who were already pissed off at Jade going back in in the first place) used it as another stick to beat her with and I think that's why she received the most backlash out of anyone involved during and after the incident.

Last edited by Jason.; 26-01-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 26-01-2017, 06:09 PM #7
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy

It was when gay boy Keith Vaz came along being a drama queen that the flames really went up.

Last edited by UserSince2005; 26-01-2017 at 06:10 PM.
UserSince2005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 06:19 PM #8
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden View Post
I'm sure the media did pick up on Jackiey's comments, but having watched her evicion interview they were completely glossed over by Davina. They were made light of, and her it's almost as if Davina (was prompted) allowed Jackiey to use the excuse that she wasn't able to pronounce names in general.

The night Carole was evicted, Davina praised Jade so much (she even said "that's why we love her", and Carole agreed with her and gave Jade so many compliments). Then at the end of that eviction interview Davina gleefully said "Apparently it's all kicking off between Shlipa and Jade & Danielle".

Carole's interview was seven whole days before Jade was evicted, so within those 7 days that's when the furore officially started. The media coverage amped up and it basically climaxed with Jade's argument with Shlipa about the Oxo cube, which is probably a big reason why Jade got more of a raw deal than the other two girls.

The craziest thing about the whole ordeal is that it only took seven days for the whole thing escalate and become what it was.
Danielle came across the worst during that and that's why it pisses me off that she got away with it all because I think her actions during that pretty much triggered the whole thing and she loaded the gun. I think the part when Jade begins to turn is that night when she's in the kitchen with Shilpa and Cleo telling Shilpa how she thinks she isn't being genuine or herself and that she needed to take a step back or something along the lines of that and it made Shilpa upset. By then, Jo and Danielle had already made the remarks about the undercooked chicken and the eating with the hands.

Last edited by Jason.; 26-01-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 26-01-2017, 06:19 PM #9
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

Quote:
Jo was the launch night favourite to win iirc or at least really high in the odds. She came across well but she also had the S Club fanbase. I remember liking her at the beginning when it aired but when I re-watched the series last year, I found she was quite dull. Even before all the race row stuff kicked off, she wasn't featured all that outside of the first few days.

Someone on here made a really great post in regards to Jade and her family entering during my CBB5 re-watch last year. I think it was about how the public were highly against the idea of Jade entering from the moment speculation began pre-series and when it became true, a lot of the viewers were annoyed and would pretty much find anything to use against Jade so when the whole hostility towards Shilpa began the public (who were already pissed off at Jade going back in in the first place) used it as another stick to beat her with and I think that's why she received the most backlash out of anyone involved during and after the incident.
Yeah, it's the British mentality of 'they're up, we'll knock'em down'.

Jade was always due a fall from grace by appearing on BB again, but she gave the public a bloody good reason to turn against her. On a less serious note, the same happened with Nikki. The public chanted and wanted her back, but when she returned people complianed and she left to boos.
Old 26-01-2017, 06:21 PM #10
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

Quote:
Danielle came across the worst during that and that's why it pisses me off that she got away with it all because I think her actions during that pretty much triggered the whole thing and she pretty much loaded the gun. I think the part when Jade begins to turn is that night when she's in the kitchen with Shilpa and Cleo telling Shilpa how she thinks she isn't being genuine or herself and that she needed to take a step back or something along the lines of that and it made Shilpa upset. By then, Jo and Danielle had already made the remarks about the undercooked chicken and the eating with the hands.
I agree, but I also think Jade took her Mum's eviction out on Shilpa too, which caused her to hold a lot of resentment against Shilpa.
Old 26-01-2017, 06:24 PM #11
-

-

Quote:
Yeah, it's the British mentality of 'they're up, we'll knock'em down'.

Jade was always due a fall from grace by appearing on BB again, but she gave the public a bloody good reason to turn against her. On a less serious note, the same happened with Nikki. The public chanted and wanted her back, but when she returned people complianed and she left to boos.
That's actually a really good point. Jade and Nikki were both polarising housemates and despite the ill feeling when they both re-entered, they were still pretty popular (Jade probably topped that first eviction and Nikki had 63% of the vote to return back). The public are pretty much hypocritical when it comes to this sort of thing.

Last edited by Jason.; 26-01-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 26-01-2017, 06:24 PM #12
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Thanks for the info

Spoiler:

Shifra, Tzabar, Ranin. BBIL 2008.
y.winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 06:30 PM #13
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

Also, I think it's worth noting that Danielle made comments about having a problem with immigrants (I can't remember verbatim what she said) during the casting process, but they weren't taken seriously at all.
Old 26-01-2017, 06:42 PM #14
-

-

Quote:
Also, I think it's worth noting that Danielle made comments about having a problem with immigrants (I can't remember verbatim what she said) during the casting process, but they weren't taken seriously at all.
Oh really? I didn't know that.

I'm surprised that they were never brought up during the whole furore. Saskia mentioned something along the lines of how she didn't like people entering the country in her VT during BB6 and she was received critcism for it when allegations of racism during the series surfaced.
Old 26-01-2017, 06:48 PM #15
Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):

Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):

When they cut Carole's eviction interview because there was finally an argument When will Channel 5?
Old 26-01-2017, 06:52 PM #16
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

Quote:
Oh really? I didn't know that.

I'm surprised that they were never brought up during the whole furore. Saskia mentioned something along the lines of how she didn't like people entering the country in her VT during BB6 and she was received critcism for it when allegations of racism during the series surfaced.
I always thought Saskia got away with those comments in terms of her reception and the fact she was one of the favourites to win (circa week 2/3?).

The racial divide during BB6 was quite interesting too because it was only brought to light after Maxwell and Saskia became unpopular. Though, it was only apparent after the numbers dwindled.
Old 26-01-2017, 06:54 PM #17
Namaste

Namaste

Quote:

I never realised that
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 07:08 PM #18
-

-

Quote:
I always thought Saskia got away with those comments in terms of her reception and the fact she was one of the favourites to win (circa week 2/3?).

The racial divide during BB6 was quite interesting too because it was only brought to light after Maxwell and Saskia became unpopular. Though, it was only apparent after the numbers dwindled.
I remember some people talking about it during the first few days of BB6 and being suspicious about why she held that view but then it fizzled after she became more popular in the first two weeks and then after her behaviour during Cidergate and the supposedly racial undertones in her "chip on your shoulder like people like you" comment, it was brought back up again. Not to mention this was during a time when you could pretty much get away with political incorrectness on BB whereas if that series aired when BB8 did, there would've been a heavy number of Ofcom complaints and she probably would've been ejected like Emily was.

Last edited by Jason.; 26-01-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 26-01-2017, 07:15 PM #19
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

Quote:
I remember some people talking about it during the first few days of BB6 and being suspicious about why she held that view but then it fizzled after she became more popular in the first two weeks and then after her behaviour during Cidergate and the supposedly racial undertones in her "chip on your shoulder like people like you" comment, it was brought back up again. Not to mention this was during a time when you could pretty much get away with political incorrectness on BB whereas if that series aired when BB8 did, there would've been a heavy number of Ofcom complaints and she probably would've been ejected like Emily was.
Yeah, definitely. Her comment: "people like you have a chip on your shoulder" was so ****ing dodgy. It's crazy how much BB has evolved in the respect that you can't say anything to anyone that may be remotely offensive.

The fact that the crowd joined in with Maxwell's monkey chants is really gross too. Like, I don't have much respect for how the crowd act during C5-era BB, but I don't think they'd be able to get away with that without a firm telling off from either Emma or people who work for the show. It would be the nail in the coffin for BB.
Old 26-01-2017, 07:16 PM #20

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I never even saw it as racist. I thought she meant people like Makosi as in self absorbed/bitchy/everything Makosi was
Old 26-01-2017, 07:18 PM #21

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Saskia was a smart girl. She wasn't stupid and the fact she knew that she needed to last quite a while or do something that made her memorable if she was going to get the career she wanted out of BB6 was evidence of this. I don't think she'd basically say 'Black people have chips on their shoulder' to an actual black person in an argument with said black person.
Old 26-01-2017, 07:19 PM #22
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

That's the thing though, she didn't say that^

She said "people like you", which can be inferred in many ways like you suggested.
Old 26-01-2017, 07:21 PM #23

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Hmm, I guess. I just don't personally believe she meant it in that way. Much like I don't believe Nicola was referencing Kim's stillbirth. I guess these things can never be proven and can be debated forever and ever if people cared enough.

Last edited by Cal.; 26-01-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 26-01-2017, 07:24 PM #24
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal. View Post
Hmm, I guess. I just don't personally believe she meant it in that way. Much like I don't believe Nicola was referencing Kim's stillbirth. I guess these things can never be proven and can be debated forever and ever if people cared enough.
I don't think either me or Jason are using it as a way to say Saskia is racist, but more pointing out the fact that Saskia got away with that comment; but if she said in modern-day BB people would be on it like a fly on **** (like the Nicole/Kim situation).
Old 26-01-2017, 07:55 PM #25
-

-

Tbh I can understand why people would think her comment was racist with the whole racial divide of that series coupled with her comments in her VT, but I personally thought she meant drama queens as Saskia was going on about how Makosi was being fake and how she pretended to cry etc and then followed up with that "chip on your shoulder" comment straight afterwards. Mind you, I was Team Makosi during that whole argument.

It was an ambiguous comment for sure and I guess we'll never know whether she meant black people or drama queens. Though if she did mean black people, Makosi or the other black housemates surely would've picked up on it and mentioned it. I doubt they would've just brushed it off, especially as Makosi acknowledged her awful reception when leaving the house and stated she heard racial abuse from the crowd during her interview, I don't think she would've kept quiet if she found the "people like you" comment racist. The same way Shilpa actually thought and questioned whether Jade, Jo and Danielle were maybe treating her how they were because of her race and how she wasn't the same as them inside the house.

Last edited by Jason.; 26-01-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
cbb5, context