Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:07 AM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Default Term time holiday dad loses court battle

A father has lost his legal challenge against a fine for taking his daughter on an unauthorised term-time holiday.
The Supreme Court ruled against Jon Platt, who had won earlier legal battles against a £120 fine in a case brought by the Isle of Wight council.
He said the decision, over a trip to Florida, meant the "state was taking the rights away from parents".
Term-time holiday dad loses court battle
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39504338
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:09 AM #2
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

He says he's may take her out of school and home educate his daughter, because the same rules don't apply to home educated children. His daughter had a perfect attendance record apart from this. Ridiculous... and how come taking a child on holiday affects their education, but teachers taking INSET days off in term time does not?
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:10 AM #3

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
A father has lost his legal challenge against a fine for taking his daughter on an unauthorised term-time holiday.
The Supreme Court ruled against Jon Platt, who had won earlier legal battles against a £120 fine in a case brought by the Isle of Wight council.
He said the decision, over a trip to Florida, meant the "state was taking the rights away from parents".
Term-time holiday dad loses court battle
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39504338
Hm,teachers don't much care about the kids education when they close a school for certain days.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:13 AM #4
-

-

It's a ridiculous rule, an issue should only be flagged up if a child's overall attendance record is low without a good reason (e.g. Repeated illness) or if their education is obviously suffering (e.g. they are already lagging behind and time off will make things worse).

Other than that, I can imagine that any child is likely to learn far more on a two week holiday abroad than they are in two weeks sat in school.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:13 AM #5
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Is it the teachers decision to close the school...Would that not be the LEA?
Old 06-04-2017, 11:14 AM #6
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Ridiculous and it's always the hard working, dedicated parents who get made examples of, not the ones who are genuinely taking the piss

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:14 AM #7
Banned

Banned

It's fairly ridiculous, parents should only face fines if attendance becomes a real issue and holidays should be allowed in term time since not everyone will be able to afford taking holidays during school holidays since that's when they are at their most expensive.

I do agree that this law is encroaching on the parents' rights.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:15 AM #8
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
It's fairly ridiculous, parents should only face fines if attendance becomes a real issue and holidays should be allowed in term time since not everyone will be able to afford taking holidays during school holidays since that's when they are at their most expensive.

I do agree that this law is encroaching on the parents' rights
100%

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 06-04-2017, 11:18 AM #9
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
He says he's may take her out of school and home educate his daughter, because the same rules don't apply to home educated children. His daughter had a perfect attendance record apart from this. Ridiculous... and how come taking a child on holiday affects their education, but teachers taking INSET days off in term time does not?
I totally agree.
I find the term children should attend regularly really meaning they 'have' to attend totally confusing.

This rule is a ridiculous mess.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:18 AM #10
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Laughable ruling, the case should never have gone further than the High Court. This government gets more dictatorial by the day.

He seems a great guy who knows what he's talking about, I follow his page on Facebook. He suspected they'd rule this way a few weeks ago. His statement (unfortunately in all caps):

Quote:
I LOST.

THE FOLLOWING IS THE STATEMENT I WILL BE READING OUTSIDE COURT JUST AFTER 10AM.

I WANT TO START BY THANKING A FEW PEOPLE. FIRSTLY MY LEGAL TEAM OF MICHAEL SPOORS, LEE PECKHAM PAUL GREATOREX AND CLIVE SHELDON QC. THEY HAVE ALL BEEN OUTSTANDING ADVOCATES AND I CAN’T THANK THEM ENOUGH FOR THEIR WORK ON THIS CASE OVER THE LAST 2 YEARS. CRAIG LANGMAN OF PARENTS WANT A SAY AND KAREN WILKINSON OF PARENTS UNION WHO HAVE CAMPAIGNED ON THIS ISSUE FOR YEARS, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND HARD WORK. THANKS TOO TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE SENT MESSAGES OF SUPPORT AND TO THE SCHOOL TEACHER KARIN SIEMUND WHO HAS SPENT HOURS HELPING ME RESPOND TO MESSAGES FROM PARENTS WHO NEED HELP AND ADVICE.

TO MY FAMILY, WHO HAVE PUT UP WITH THIS NIGHTMARE FOR 2 YEARS BECAUSE I WAS TOO STUBBORN TO PAY A £60 PENALTY NOTICE, THANK YOU AND SORRY. FINALLY MY WONDERFUL WIFE SALLY WHO HAS BEEN FORCED TO LIVE ALMOST EVERY SECOND OF THIS AND PUT UP WITH SO MUCH, THANK YOU, IT IS ALMOST OVER.

AS YOU ALL JUST HEARD, THE SUPREME COURT HAS JUST REVERSED DECADES OF JUDICIAL PRECEDENT. THEY DIDN’T JUST SAY THAT A HIGH COURT JUDGE WHO HEARD MY CASE, LORD JUSTICE LLOYD JONES, MISINTERPRETTED THE LAW, THEY HAVE CONCLUDED THAT EARLIER HIGH COURT DECISIONS FROM 2006 (THE BROMLEY JUDGMENT) AND 1969 (CRUMP V GILMORE) WERE ALSO WRONG IN THEIR INTERPRETATION OF THE LAW AND SHOULD NO LONGER BE FOLLOWED.

BE IN NO DOUBT, DESPITE TODAY'S JUDGMENT, I FOLLOWED THE LAW, PRECISELY AS LAID DOWN AND INTERPRETED BY HIGH COURT JUDGES IN TWO DIFFERENT CASES FROM 1969 AND 2006. TO ATTEND REGULARLY, THEY TOLD ME, WAS TO ATTEND ‘VERY FREQUENTLY’ SO I DECIDED NOT TO PAY A £60 PENALTY NOTICE BECAUSE MY DAUGHTER HAD OTHERWISE NEAR PERFECT ATTENDANCE. THE DECISION OF THOSE HIGH COURT JUDGES FROM 1969 AND 2006 INFORMED MY DECISION MAKING PROCESS, BUT HERE I STAND OUTSIDE THE SUPREME COURT HAVING JUST BEEN TOLD THAT I WAS WRONG TO RELY ON THE DECISIONS OF THOSE HIGH COURT JUDGES TO GUIDE ME ON THE LAW. WITH THIS JUDGMENT THOSE PRECEDENTS HAVE BEEN SWEPT AWAY AND THE CONSEQUENCES CAN ONLY BE DESCRIBED AS SHOCKING.

TO ATTEND SCHOOL REGULARLY NO LONGER MEANS TO ATTEND VERY FREQUENTLY - IT NOW MEANS TO ATTEND AT ALL TIMES AND ON ALL DAYS THAT THE SCHOOL REQUIRES IT. EVERY UNAUTHORISED ABSENCE, INCLUDING BEING A MINUTE LATE TO SCHOOL IS NOW A CRIMINAL OFFENCE.

IF YOU SHARE CUSTODY OF YOUR CHILD WITH A FORMER PARTNER AND THEY ARE LATE GETTING YOUR CHILD TO SCHOOL…. YOU HAVE COMMITTED A CRIMINAL OFFENCE EVEN IF YOU WEREN’T AWARE OF IT.

IF YOU DECIDE TO KEEP YOUR CHILD OFF SCHOOL FOR A DAY BECAUSE THEY LOOK EXHAUSTED AFTER HAVING A DIFFICULT NIGHT OF BAD DREAMS, YOU HAVE COMMITTED A CRIMINAL OFFENCE IF THE HEAD TEACHER SECOND GUESSES THAT DECISION AND MARKS IT AS UNAUTHORISED.

THIS ISSUE IS NO LONGER, IF EVER WAS, ABOUT TERM TIME HOLIDAYS, IT IS ABOUT THE STATE TAKING AWAY PARENTS ABILITY TO MAKE DECISIONS ABOUT WHAT IS BEST FOR THEIR CHILDREN.

MANY OF YOU MIGHT HAVE THOUGHT, GIVEN IN 2015 WHEN I TOOK MY FAMILY ON THIS NOW INFAMOUS TERM TIME HOLIDAY, AS I WAS, AT THAT TIME FOLLOWING THE LAW AS LAID DOWN BY SEVERAL HIGH COURT JUDGES, THAT IT WOULD BE GROSSLY UNFAIR TO RETROSPECTIVELY CRIMINALISE ME. THAT WAS VERY NEARLY NOT THE CASE. THE FIRST DRAFT OF THE COURT'S JUDGMENT THAT I RECEIVED YESTERDAY REMITTED THIS CASE BACK TO THE MAGISTRATES WITH A DIRECTION TO CONVICT. IT WAS ONLY WHEN MY LEGAL TEAM POINTED OUT THAT I HAVE NOT EVEN HAD A TRIAL YET THAT THIS REFERENCE WAS REMOVED. I NOW HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE ISLE OF WIGHT MAGISTRATES COURT WHERE THIS ALL STARTED 2 YEARS AGO FOR A TRIAL. I CAN TELL YOU TODAY THAT I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION OF PLEADING GUILTY TO THIS OFFENCE.

TO PARENTS ALL OVER ENGLAND, I SAY THIS. THE LEGAL BATTLE IS OVER. THERE IS NO RIGHT OF APPEAL BEYOND THIS PLACE. IT WILL BE A GENERATION OR MORE BEFORE THIS COURT REVISITS THIS DECISION IF EVER THEY DO. YOU CAN NO LONGER MAKE A DECISION TO TAKE YOUR CHILD OUT OF SCHOOL, EVEN FOR ONE DAY, WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE STATE.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN THIS IS THE END OF THIS MATTER. PETITIONS HAVE BEEN SIGNED BY HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PARENTS. PARLIAMENT HAS DEBATED THIS ISSUE MULTIPLE TIMES. NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

SO I WOULD URGE EACH AND EVERY PARENT AND GRANDPARENT THAT FINDS THE CONSEQUENCES OF THIS JUDGMENT TO BE SHOCKING, TO VOTE ON THE 4TH MAY. LOCAL ELECTIONS ARE BEING HELD ALL OVER ENGLAND AND THAT WILL BE YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO EXPRESS YOUR VIEWS ON THIS JUDGMENT. A CONSERVATIVE SECRETARY OF STATE FOR EDUCATION SENT LAWYERS TO THIS PLACE TO ARGUE FOR THE JUDGMENT THAT WAS HANDED DOWN TODAY AND SHE NOW HAS THAT JUDGMENT. THEY WON, BUT WE GET TO VOTE ON THAT VICTORY ON MAY 4TH.

VOTE TO REMOVE PEOPLE LIKE COLIN NOBLE THE CONSERVATIVE LEADER OF SUFFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL WHO ISSUED MORE PENALTY NOTICES TO PARENTS LAST YEAR THAN ANY OTHER COUNCIL – 6000 OF THEM. I’D URGE YOU TO VOTE FOR A GREEN PARTY CANDIDATE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE BUT IF ONE ISN’T STANDING IN YOUR AREA VOTE FOR A LIB DEM OR AN INDEPENDENT. MOST COUNCIL SEATS ARE HELD BY VERY SMALL MAJORITIES. A FEW HUNDRED PARENTS IN EACH COUNCIL WARD COULD CHANGE THE FACE OF LOCAL POLITICS ALL OVER ENGLAND IN LESS THAN A MONTH. IF EVERYONE WHO HAS RECEIVED ONE OF THESE PENALTY NOTICES WAS TO VOTE GREEN, THIS GOVERNMENT WOULD PASS EMERGENCY LEGISLATION OVERNIGHT TO REVERSE THE CONSEQUENCES OF THIS JUDGMENT HERE TODAY.

PLEASE VOTE ON 4TH MAY AND TELL THIS GOVERNMENT THAT WE AS PARENTS WILL BE THE FINAL ARBITERS OF WHAT IS RIGHT FOR OUR CHILDREN - NOT THE STATE.
https://www.facebook.com/schoolfines...87548108107943
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:24 AM #11
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Thanks Jack, that's a good read

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 06-04-2017, 11:26 AM #12

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Ridiculous and it's always the hard working, dedicated parents who get made examples of, not the ones who are genuinely taking the piss
Yeah this.There are people who don't give a **** if there kids go to school or not and don't encourage their work etc or help them.But the decent parents who just wanna give the kids a break in the sun(which is probably good for them) are persecuted.Not everyone can or wants to pay the holiday time prices.It also gives travel companies alot of power to rip us all off.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:30 AM #13
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yeah this.There are people who don't give a **** if there kids go to school or not and don't encourage their work etc or help them.But the decent parents who just wanna give the kids a break in the sun(which is probably good for them) are persecuted.Not everyone can or wants to pay the holiday time prices.It also gives travel companies alot of power to rip us all off.
Yep definitely. Parents should be reported at the schools own discretion imo, If the child is missing massive amounts of school, falling behind on their work etc then report the parents but otherwise it's a joke really.

I'm not even sure what the law is on it over here, if there is a law like that they don't really enforce it, i don't think, I've often took my kids off school for things and nothing was ever said

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 06-04-2017, 11:59 AM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Is it the teachers decision to close the school...Would that not be the LEA?
It is the LEA who close schools....inset days, election days etc but also the LEA who issue the fines
Old 06-04-2017, 12:03 PM #15

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Good.
Our generation never thought about taking the kids out of school for a holiday.
Such feelings of entitlement these days.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:09 PM #16
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

If he thought for a minute he would win against this govt he's crazy. The proles can't be seen to be beating the 'ministry'
Old 06-04-2017, 12:16 PM #17

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
If he thought for a minute he would win against this govt he's crazy. The proles can't be seen to be beating the 'ministry'
Is this a 1984 quote?
Old 06-04-2017, 12:16 PM #18
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I agree with this. Teachers go on strike now and then, so if they are so concerned about students education why are they forcing them to have a day off because they want more money etc (teachers shouldn't be allowed to do this, they get paid during the holidays ffs, nurses/firemen/police are the ones that can do strikes since they save and risk their lifes to protect our country)

the holidays thing must have got stricter because I was allowed to go to spain for 2 weeks when i was in primary and i was going 4 weeks before exams.

Spoiler:

LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:18 PM #19
-

-

Horrifying. Yet another reason to be grateful that the education & courts systems are devolved in Scotland .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:20 PM #20
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeB View Post
I agree with this. Teachers go on strike now and then, so if they are so concerned about students education why are they forcing them to have a day off because they want more money etc (teachers shouldn't be allowed to do this, they get paid during the holidays ffs, nurses/firemen/police are the ones that can do strikes since they save and risk their lifes to protect our country)

the holidays thing must have got stricter because I was allowed to go to spain for 2 weeks when i was in primary and i was going 4 weeks before exams.
Teachers don't issue the fines, it's the local authority, teachers as well as any other worker has a right to take strike action if all other courses of action have been explored

Last edited by Cherie; 06-04-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:23 PM #21
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Education welfare officers follow up on child absence, again this is not the schools job (unless they are an academy) its down to the Local Authority.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:25 PM #22
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
funny you should say this since this happened at my school, someone who was there all the time got into a bit of trouble but someone who wags it, gets let off.

Spoiler:

LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:29 PM #23
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

I love how teachers always get it in the neck even for decisions not taken by them, only the Head can make a decision on time off, only the LEA issue fines, only the Education Welfare officer can follow up on absent children etc etc....

all because teachers get long holidays...if it were such a great job why is it so difficult to recruit and retain teachers especially in secondary schools?
Old 06-04-2017, 12:34 PM #24
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Each term has a set number of days that the students must attend, these do not include inset days, so technically inset days are not "term time"

Last edited by Cherie; 06-04-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:47 PM #25
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Good.
Our generation never thought about taking the kids out of school for a holiday.
Such feelings of entitlement these days.
Entitlement to have authority over your own children? Umm yeah.........

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
battle, court, dad, holiday, loses, term, time