Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 14-10-2018, 10:05 PM #601

So pretty

Nancy. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 11:07 PM #602

Madonna kicked off her controversial Erotica era with the first single released 26 years ago... what a song!

Old 14-10-2018, 11:28 PM #603
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 11:30 PM #604

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece(: View Post

Old 15-10-2018, 09:00 AM #605

Forgot to celebrate "Music" turned 18 last month.

Brilliant album (12 million copies Wordlwide)

Limited edition:

Old 15-10-2018, 12:52 PM #606

"Muuuusiiiiiiic makes the peeeeeople come togetherrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Old 15-10-2018, 02:43 PM #607

Let's remind ourselves of the old reviews from Rolling Stone, ect...

"Just when we’ve put Madonna in another box — one labeled “Introspective Celebrity Mom Who Doesn’t Want to Be an Icon Anymore but Can’t Help Herself” — the forty-two-year-old reverts to pleasure girl on the punk-funk dance floor, partying with the break dancers, the queers, the addicts and insomniacs. It’s been eighteen woozy years since Madonna dropped “Everybody”; with “Music,” the lead track off her thirteenth album, she looks back at that up-for-grabs, early-Eighties era, when the only freaks who could program electro beats for the street were Germans, B boys or near-transvestites. “Music makes the people come together,” she cries, as if her life and ours still depended on it.

Unlike Ray of Light‘s pristine inner-ear landscapes, Music is dirty, casually urgent, as if Madonna walked into the studio, got on the mike and let the machines bump. Check the improvisational, silly surge of “Impressive Instant,” which first roars like a rock rocket ship, then purrs while a digitally tweaked Ms. Ciccone squeaks, “I like to singy singy singy/Like a bird on a wingy wingy wingy.”

Music embodies that moment when destiny shoots us into the unknown. You thought Madonna was calculating, but here she’s never been more instinctive. “This guy was meant for me,” she prays in the ballad “I Deserve It,” dropping her guard, clearly portraying Guy Ritchie, her newborn’s father. She isn’t painting a fairy-tale romance: “Amazing” palpitates with passionate ambivalence, while “Nobody’s Perfect” admits and aurally embodies major ****-ups. But she’s still devoted to love.

Music does all this with Madonna’s most radical sonics yet. William Orbit makes “Amazing” live up to its title by conjuring an even sassier spin on the gurgling grooviness of “Beautiful Stranger.” And the six cuts co-produced with French synth weirdo Mirwais madly reference the past while achieving intimate, futurist pop. Her closely miked voice, recorded with minimal sweetening, abandons her recent Evita-schooled operatics for a spontaneous yelp that circles back to her club-belter beginnings. “What It Feels Like for a Girl” clinches it with a feminist anthem that’s as musically gentle as it is lyrically barbed. “When you’re trying hard to be your best,” she croons as the voice of social authority, “could you be a little less?” The inability to do just that is what makes her matter yet again; there’s still more to Madonna."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...usic-2-185097/
Old 15-10-2018, 02:46 PM #608

Slant Magazine:

After her hugely successful and critically-lauded Ray Of Light, Madonna could have gone in one of several possible directions: (1) a more hardcore trance route, enlisting a world-class DJ like Sasha (who remixed a few tracks from Ray Of Light and whom Madonna allegedly dismissed after collaborating on several tracks early in the recording process of this new album) (2) staying in safe territory by writing and recording once again with William Orbit, the mastermind behind Ray Of Light; or (3) a weird, more experimental direction, commissioning someone like French electronica guru Mirwais Ahmadzai. Madonna once told producer Shep Pettibone “You can never do the same thing twice…ever,” but two new collaborations with Orbit, “Runaway Lover” and “Amazing,” prove that when you do, it will probably be completely uninteresting. “Runaway Lover” sounds like a Ray Of Light outtake with uninspired couplets like “It doesn’t pay to give away what you lack/You’ll never get your money back.” But amid the clichés, Madonna throws in profound food for thought like “You get your education from your lovers.” “Amazing” is incredibly catchy and has a Supremes-like melody but that’s where it ends. The track borrows the drum loop Orbit used in “Beautiful Stranger” (which was originally the loop from his “Ray Of Light” remix), and proves that he may not have had enough tricks up his sleeve for an entire new album anyway (and perhaps Madonna knew that).

As such, Madonna enlisted Mirwais for most of the rest of the album in question, Music. The title track, a retro hands-in-the-air club song reminiscent of Debbie Deb’s “When I Hear Music” and Madonna’s own “Into The Groove,” is the singer’s best dancefloor-beckoning track since “Vogue.” She sings “Music makes the people come together” like a track off of her debut album, and as an added bonus she uses words like “bourgeoisie” and “acid-rock” with equal abandon. If you can get past the initial horror of hearing Madonna’s voice get the Cher “Believe” treatment on “Nobody’s Perfect,” another Mirwais collaboration, you’ll find a brilliant song full of genuine sorrow. The track opens with an intentionally imperfect and somber “I feel so sad,” and it is indeed believable. Lyrics like “What did you expect? I’m doing my best” are sung with an intriguing juxtaposition of human emotion and mechanically detached vocalizations. Though hard to swallow at first (like most on the album), the track is one of the singer’s best creations. With its distorted vocals and grinding electronic burps, “Paradise (Not For Me)” is another distinctive Mirwais production. At a turning point in the song, Madonna awkwardly struggles to speak the words “There is a light above my head/Into your eyes my face remains” while strings swell and bring the song to a climax. It is at this point that “Paradise” resembles the cinematic grandeur of tracks like “Frozen,” and it is also one of the few moments throughout Music that recalls the spiritual introspection of Ray Of Light.

Two tracks take a striking folk direction. “I Deserve It” finds Madonna once again singing with a warm yet detached voice, but this time her vocals are completely untouched by effects. “Gone” ends the album and is possibly one of Madonna’s best performances. In the vein of “Live To Tell,” the song seems to sum up everything Madonna has tried to tell us about being the most famous woman in the world. Earlier attempts have seemed obvious and sometimes trite (“Goodbye To Innocence,” “Survival,” “Drowned World”), but this song seems to be particularly telling. It is also, perhaps, the most human she has ever been. Self-deprecation and vulnerability have never been Madonna’s strong-suits, but the way she sings “I won’t let it happen again/I’m not very smart” could make you wonder. Music seems more like a collection of songs than a cohesive album, and it is an unexpected answer to Ray Of Light. But strangely, in an attempt to make a “fun,” less-introspective album, Madonna has revealed more of herself than ever. No longer shrouded with pedantic spirituality, she has become even more human, exposing her fears on tracks like “Nobody’s Perfect” and “Paradise,” her soul on “Don’t Tell Me” and “What It Feels Like For A Girl,” and revealing her joys on “Impressive Instant” and “Music.”

https://www.slantmagazine.com/music/.../madonna-music
Old 15-10-2018, 10:29 PM #609

Just watched Madonna performing her Oscar winning song at the Oscars in 1991.

A performance by a TRUE LEGEND with star quality and charisma.

"Sooner or Later," Madonna (1991):

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2zp3a2

One icon's tribute to another is bound to be an extravagant display, and that just what Madonna gave at the 1991 Academy Awards. Dressing and performing in the likeness of Marilyn Monroe, Madonna gave a sultry performance with a sequined dress, feather boa and all. Her most boldest moment of night, however, was taking fellow pop royalty Michael Jackson as a date.

Last edited by Nancy.; 15-10-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 15-10-2018, 10:55 PM #610

"Sooner or Later" is a track taken from Disney's number one box office hit movie, "Dick Tracy".

Madonna's soundtrack jazz album, "I'm Breathless" is an album of completely new and original music from and Inspired by the Film Dick Tracy and features zero covers in sight. The album went on to sell 8 million copies wordwide.

Old 16-10-2018, 12:12 PM #611
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

another nice picture of the movie dick tracy

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 12:43 PM #612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post

another nice picture of the movie dick tracy

Hi Nicky. Yes, she was seeing Warren Beaty back then - he was also in "Truth Or Dare".

Old 16-10-2018, 12:45 PM #613
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy. View Post

Hi Nicky. Yes, she was seeing Warren Beaty back then - he was also in "Truth Or Dare".

this is what the good man looks as of today

Old 17-10-2018, 09:43 AM #614

He's in his 80's, Nicky.
Old 17-10-2018, 09:48 AM #615
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy. View Post
He's in his 80's, Nicky.
yes i know

btw here's a recent video of Madonna's daughter Lourdes at the Jeremy Scott fashion show

Old 17-10-2018, 11:02 AM #616

Lourdes seems like such a grounded girl despite who her mother is. Best way to be, unlike her bratty brother., Rocco
Old 17-10-2018, 11:07 AM #617

Madonna at JFK airport. I wonder where she's going...

Old 20-10-2018, 11:10 PM #618

"Papa Don't Preach" was the #1 song on last nights classic top of the pops on BBC4. Such a great song.
Old 21-10-2018, 03:45 PM #619

Old 24-10-2018, 12:19 PM #620

Old 24-10-2018, 04:47 PM #621

The QUEEN about to watch her Son play football...

Old 24-10-2018, 11:48 PM #622

New IG post:

Old 25-10-2018, 09:37 AM #623

Some tweets on this brilliant album....

Such a complete piece of art. It is an album that gets richer and more meaningful with time

Honestly, this album covered the topic more broadly than the book concerning one night stands, lust, regret, love, breaking up, AIDS, jealousy, the hunt, politics and sex as a weapon. It’s all there and still pushed a newish sound outside the clubs into people’s homes.

Buying it with my hard earned money was a very liberating feeling. Also felt like I was getting something that was a taboo. Something forbidden but nonetheless satisfying. ❤️

Buying the Sex book and being made to take it back to Target by mother as she said you were the Antichrist but I lied and hid it in bushes and picked it up when she went to work

The way she sang about the need for LGBT+ rights on Why’s It So Hard and In This Life. One of her most overlooked albums and definitely in the top 5 of her best albums

The Erotica era was amazing. I was 15 years old and the only openly gay kid in my school who admitted to owning and loving the album. There was so much scandal, shock and gossip about Madonna, Erotica and Sex. The entire album is beautiful! ❤️

A relentlessly amazing album... I loved it. I also was hypnotized with the "Erotica" video and transfixed with the photos in your Vanity Fair cover story. "Hot Madonna" indeed!

The music ,The videos ( Bad Girl is a masterpiece and brilliant )the whole mood. I remember going to the record store right at 10 am the day or release with bunch of friends and buying it and we had a whole day listening session. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

I think it's stood the test of time. The lyrics, bass lines and even experimental early jungle track 'Secret Garden' is amazing. Still a very underrated album! Sounds far superior to today's releases #eroticaalbum #madonna #1992

One of the best and most consistent Madonna albums. It creates a unique dark, but elegantly modern atmosphere. The songs come with a message but not sweaty or overly political. Serious, but still entertaining. The ballads are beautiful while other songs are perfectly danceable.

One of the few albums that I had on continuous loop forever. What a record! And then the Girlie Show. Pretty amazing time to be alive when this album was released.

I remember watching erotica video (full version) in the living room with my family and my father got up and left the room stared at me with a very serious face. I. Was 20 yo. It’s one of my favourite videos

This album is ART! I can't explain how much I love it and how much it means to me. Love the freedom, rythm and the explicit lyrics of every song. Now beside of being in my heart is also on my skin, love you forever ❤

Buying it and driving to Palm Springs listening to it all weekend long non stop with friends still the hottest cd I ever owned along with the book

Oh my God I was so shy and that time in my life. a lot happen My lover after eight years left me for someone else. I was only 24 and just coming into my own and erotica help me discover my sexual being and being comfortable with who I was..

Erotica was light years ahead of its time! It was misterpreted, judged, and critiqued—and now I look at it as masterful, powerful, sexy. Props to Madge

My best memory was feeling free and powerful for the first time. Singing Erotica mimicking her moves from the video. I had never felt that way before. I wanted more. Clouds started gathering for the biggest **** storm of my life. Oppression be gone!

I remember working in downtown #Milwaukee at the time, and the #bookstore had just begun selling the #Sex book. The store was PACKED. So I told myself, if the book is that popular and #buzzworthy, Erotica must be incredible. So I bought it instead of the book(I was 19).

I asked my grandma to buy it for me for Xmas - I would have never thought she would (dare) but in fact she did. I listened to the LP so many times it almost got broken! Good Erotica memories @Madonna !

The excitement going to the store before it opened waiting in line and then finally holding it looking at the track list and then getting home to listen to it, blew my mind was definitely before it's time

Blown away at tender age of 13, it's still too advanced an album, feckin masterpiece!! Need it on vinyl RIGHT NOW! Ahh the hormones doth pumpeth once again, nnsszz nsszz nssz ns EROTIC- CCCCAAAAAA

Last edited by Nancy.; 25-10-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 25-10-2018, 09:44 AM #624

I remember racing to Waldenbooks at the mall to get copies with a pair of scissors in my car so I could sit in the backseat and carefully open the mylar without having to wait to get back home. Biggest event of the year.

I purchased it for my girlfriend on the day of its release. It was hard to get. Gorgeously done. The silver foil was beautifully alien. Contents - gorgeous. A big moment in time. Thank you @Madonna

Fooking #Queen...thee biggest #balls in the history of #music...You will always and all ways be in a different #Demention in the industry...#AheadOfYourTime love this #Masterpiece...I have a sealed 1st edition and I cherish it

I was lucky enough to get a copy on the day of release, I remember I was working that day and had to wait till my lunch break and headed straight to my local #whsmiths it was on a top shelf behind the counter and it felt great getting my hands on this book !

I wanted a copy so bad but was unable to afford it then. I remember my friend getting it and loving the artistry of it all. Still want a copy!

I got what most of the entire population of the world didn’t! I got the irony, the images juxtapose to the words, and the way it all tied in with the album! Way ahead of its time yet no less groundbreaking! A masterpiece!

My mom wouldn’t allow it in our house. Got to see it at a friend’s...we were awestruck! Now it’s a piece of history. I hope you produce another book based on your fashion. ❤️

1992 October 21st, I rushed to Eaton Centre in #Toronto after school. The then Eaton Centre had a few copies left. Under 40.00, I bought the book n filled with excitement. The book has beautiful photographs, but what’s the big deal with all the controversies? #HumanNature

I BOUGHT A COPY & STILL HAVE IT AFTER 26 YEARS- I AM STILL A FAN !!

We went to Tower Records in Seattle and stood in line I think we paid $50 for it - but it was worth it. Omg, how obsessed we were and wowza, it was worth it!

I went and checked it out with my friend Jess and we were *mesmirised* by her audacity, her unashamed celebration and control of her sexuality and herself. Couldn’t have articulated that at the time, now I can. Who’d have thought #whsmith could provide such a formative moment?!

Last edited by Nancy.; 25-10-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 25-10-2018, 10:56 AM #625

Beautiful...

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
16th, 1958, 25th, 33rd, album, anniversary, appreciation, august, billboard, born, coming, erotica, film, heart, horizon, legend, like a virgin, madonna, make, music, planned, ready, rebel, thread, tour