Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:52 AM #1
-

-

Default Marvel's Inhumans

...did they blow the entire budget for this on the IMAX / effects stuff or something?

I mean... I like it in concept. I even want to actually like it. It *is* really well shot, the difference in quality above "usual TV filming" is actually noticeable when I didn't expect it to be... and most of the effects are good, etc.

But... some of the acting. . It's not just poor... it's not even just bad for a TV show... it's actually abysmal. Like "below daytime TV soap" bad . Like... like early PS1 era voice acting bad.

Or is it mainly the script / direction? Because Iwan Rheon is in it, and I found him unwaveringly good in both "Misfits" and "Game Of Thrones", but even some of his scenes in this are pretty dodgy.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:11 AM #2

I have seen the trailer - the level of production looked like Stargate Atlantis or something. The giant dog made me laugh out loud though.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:22 AM #3
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I have seen the trailer - the level of production looked like Stargate Atlantis or something. The giant dog made me laugh out loud though.
The production isn't too bad, obviously not movie budget, but decent for what it is. I did chuckle a bit at the fact that they found excuses to take both the giant CGI dog and the "living hair" of one character out of play within the first half hour... knowing that animal CGI is very expensive and hair CGI is very difficult . Once they start sticking to standard CGI stuff and practical effects, that side of things is decent. It's just the acting. It's an actual joke. Several main characters are bad on and off, one main character is bad full stop, and some of the extras are [i]hilariously[/b] bad to the point that it almost seems like a deliberate spoof . "Hey! You are one of them! "

Some of the best acting in the show is from the guy who doesn't speak at all (Black Bolt) and even he overdoes the facial expressions. I feel like they told him to communicate with expressions but he missed the class on subtlety.

Meh. Maybe it'll improve. I mean, the last season of Agents of Shield was (in my opinion) up there with DareDevil and Jessica Jones... but was pretty bad until the middle of Season 2. So I guess it has time to improve. Not much time though I'd imagine, production budget is high and there's only so much that the people funding it will soak up "cos it's Marvel".
Old 04-10-2017, 11:50 AM #4
Banned

Banned

I've only seen the trailer but it looked woeful.

You can't do the Inhumans on a TV budget, it's impossible to do it justice. They should have stuck to the original plan and have it be a film.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:06 PM #5
-

-

Well like I said, they

Spoiler:

had Ramsay Snow, who at first didn't seem like Ramsay Snow but it turns out is basically just Ramsay Snow, lock the dog away and shave off Medusa's hair within the first episode

So I definitely think they're masking budget issues . The characters they still have with their powers in play are the ones with more TV-standard practical abilities (super strength, super fightyness etc.) and Black Bolt who (true to the source material, to be fair) is so over-powered that he actively avoids using them most of the time.

I have to say it did raise a chuckle when

Spoiler:

They flashed back to him as a teen just after getting his powers, and he says "Why!?" to his parents and all that's left of them after is a red smear on the wall

...though I guess that's not meant to be funny. .

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 04-10-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
inhumans, marvel