Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB20 Celebrity Big Brother Summer 2017 [CBB 20] was was won by Sarah Harding. Discuss the series and housemates here.

Old 30-08-2017, 07:41 PM #76
Legends Only

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
Apprentice 2018: Sabrina
Legends Only

Favourites (more):
Apprentice 2018: Sabrina

I mean like someone else said earlier, if it moved online there would probably be a much younger viewing demographic and since everyone blames catladies for some of the worst results surely that would solve that problem?

(Also VTS is terrible and rewards attention seeking and overall ****ty behaviour)

Last edited by Oaker; 30-08-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Oaker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 07:42 PM #77
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaker View Post
I mean like someone else said earlier, if it moved online there would probably be a much younger viewing demographic and since everyone blames catladies for some of the worst results surely that would solve that problem?
Exactly! I'd absolutely love Netflix or Amazon to pick it up

Last edited by Greg!; 30-08-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Greg! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 07:48 PM #78
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaker View Post

(Also VTS is terrible and rewards attention seeking and overall ****ty behaviour)
They're only half the problem, if you asked me this in 2013 I'd say TiBB's taste would be decent enough to produce a good eviction order, it certainly isn't anymore. Let's also not forget that many younger casual viewers tend to support attractive males just for the sake of it

Also Big Brother isn't a charity or a morality contest, so there's no rewarding of anything
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 08:22 PM #79
Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
Just for fun...

Rebecca (yes I know this was VTS)
Joe
Simone
Sue
Chanelle!
Marco
Natalie
Georgina
Charlie
Harriet/Amy & Sally/Sarah
Jade
Marc
Harry Amelia
Pauline
Toya
Steven
Mark
Wolfy
Dan
Callum
Hazel

So 23 evictions where the wrong person went in around 40 legit evictions. I wouldn't call that a success rate

I've no problem with them keeping a public vote either, in fact I think it'd be a good compromise. But if they're going to have public influence it cannot be direct control over who goes home or else there's no point in even tweaking the format. If the HoH were to nom three people, and the public voted to save one post-Veto, leaving the housemates to evict one of the remaining two I'd quite like that. It would add another dynamic to the game too because your target could be saved week on week by the public.

I'll always agree about a consistent format (I just don't believe the original is the right one) and less tacky twists, but I no longer believe a 'back to basics' series is going to cut it. The entire show is stale, even down to the very way it's edited and put together, to the live show presentation - everything. The show needs an entirely new look and I don't think more normal housemates and regular noms is it. Either way though, none of this is going to happen and it's going to be more of the same crap from Ben Frow and the BTEC Media students and BBUK will be axed within a year.

That's because people don't like and aren't open to change (a common validation for VTE is 'it's the traditional way' ffs) I know I'm in the minority on this too but there's a reason why the first two weeks of BB13 were the best (and why it was one of the best starts to a BB series on C5)
Lol the ones in bold absolutely deserved to be evicted. I didn't watch much of BB18 but from what I know, Joe, Rebecca, Sue and Simone were all awful. VTS just champions dickheads tbh. I don't mind it used for CBB because I don't care much for it or don't get invested in it nowadays, but if it was to go back to BB then it would be rubbish, now that the voting public seem to have pretty terrible taste. It worked in the 2011/2012 era as it was a fresh concept back then and the majority of housemates they cast weren't arseholes.

Last edited by Babayaro.; 30-08-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Babayaro. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 08:34 PM #80
how i'm feeling now

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

how i'm feeling now

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

I think this would be great. Certainly a bigger production budget as well.
Old 30-08-2017, 08:37 PM #81
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

I hate the idea of evictions being completely taken out of the hands of the viewers. That's so far removed from the point and purpose of the show. I don't think a Netflix/Amazon takeover is likely and if it did happen we would be left with a very different product.

I actually want it to stay with C5. I know its got problems and its not perfect but we have still had some good series recently. It might not be up to the standards of BB's height but it probably never will be now. Any other channel would change BB much more than C5 have done imo.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 08:37 PM #82

Quote:
"I would be much happier with a channel that did not have Big Brother on it."

Wow, with comments like that do people still believe when they "Want it to do well" and are "listening to the fans".

If they don't want it, I'd rather they just stopped making it.

But if they honestly think anybody is interested in channel 5's "homegrown" content they are deluded.

Last edited by Marsh.; 30-08-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 08:52 PM #83
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babayaro. View Post
Lol the ones in bold absolutely deserved to be evicted. I didn't watch much of BB18 but from what I know, Joe, Rebecca, Sue and Simone were all awful. VTS just champions dickheads tbh. I don't mind it used for CBB because I don't care much for it or don't get invested in it nowadays, but if it was to go back to BB then it would be rubbish, now that the voting public seem to have pretty terrible taste. It worked in the 2011/2012 era as it was a fresh concept back then and the majority of housemates they cast weren't arseholes.
Marco over Emma, Natalie over Charlie, Georgina over Evelyn, Charlie over Jason, Sarah over Chloe, Marc over Sam, Harry Amelia over Chloe & Sam, Pauline over Marlon, Jale, Christopher & Ash, Toya over Ash, Chris, Christopher, Jale, Marlon & Winston, Steven over Pav & Zoe, Wolfy over Jackie & Hazel, Dan over SAM AND SOPHIE, and Hazel over Jack & Joe & Sophie were all deserved evictions? Yeah sorry but it's just not realistic in any way shape or form

Joe was lowkey amusing and also gave both Raph and Rebecca a storyline and Sue and Simone were the only thing keeping the two weeks they were in the series remotely interesting so I've no idea where you've heard that. VTE just champions total non-entities who play no part in their series and somehow end up in the final at the expense of housemates who bothered to turn up, only to then finish 5th and 6th (or in some dire cases actually win ). It's completely counterproductive, give me a dickhead who I actually have an opinion on any day. Also most of the housemates in BB13 (2012) were arseholes...
Old 30-08-2017, 08:57 PM #84
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I hate the idea of evictions being completely taken out of the hands of the viewers. That's so far removed from the point and purpose of the show. I don't think a Netflix/Amazon takeover is likely and if it did happen we would be left with a very different product.

I actually want it to stay with C5. I know its got problems and its not perfect but we have still had some good series recently. It might not be up to the standards of BB's height but it probably never will be now. Any other channel would change BB much more than C5 have done imo.
The premise of Big Brother is to lock a bunch of strangers inside a house for an extended period of time and film and broadcast them 24/7, and BBUK is one of the only versions on planet earth not doing the latter (while the US and Canadian shows are, with BBCan giving away feeds for free) - so what does that say about it being true to the purpose and point of the show?

The method in which housemates are evicted is an additional part of different versions of the show, it has nothing to do with the premise of Big Brother. And as I said earlier, I would go so far as to say that a version without a public vote is a lot more purer and true to the 'social experiment' idea that BB once was.

Last edited by Jack_; 30-08-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 30-08-2017, 09:13 PM #85
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Marco over Emma, Natalie over Charlie, Georgina over Evelyn, Charlie over Jason, Sarah over Chloe, Marc over Sam, Harry Amelia over Chloe & Sam, Pauline over Marlon, Jale, Christopher & Ash, Toya over Ash, Chris, Christopher, Jale, Marlon & Winston, Steven over Pav & Zoe, Wolfy over Jackie & Hazel, Dan over SAM AND SOPHIE, and Hazel over Jack & Joe & Sophie were all deserved evictions? Yeah sorry but it's just not realistic in any way shape or form

Joe was lowkey amusing and also gave both Raph and Rebecca a storyline and Sue and Simone were the only thing keeping the two weeks they were in the series remotely interesting so I've no idea where you've heard that. VTE just champions total non-entities who play no part in their series and somehow end up in the final at the expense of housemates who bothered to turn up, only to then finish 5th and 6th (or in some dire cases actually win ). It's completely counterproductive, give me a dickhead who I actually have an opinion on any day. Also most of the housemates in BB13 (2012) were arseholes...
Everyone you've put in bold is either trash or nothing special (apart from Toya, Charlie and maybe Natalie)
Greg! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 09:19 PM #86
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg! View Post
Everyone you've put in bold is either trash or nothing special (apart from Toya, Charlie and maybe Natalie)
Some of them are sure, the point I'm making is they in no way deserved to be evicted over the people they were up against

The public vote sucks because the actual right person hardly ever leaves
Old 30-08-2017, 09:21 PM #87

Tbf, BBCan isn't 20 years into its run with the novelty factor well and truly over and past its best.

It may make sense for them financially to provide free feeds. BBUK is dead in the water really.
Old 30-08-2017, 09:26 PM #88
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The premise of Big Brother is to lock a bunch of strangers inside a house for an extended period of time and film and broadcast them 24/7, and BBUK is one of the only versions on planet earth not doing the latter (while the US and Canadian shows are, with BBCan giving away feeds for free) - so what does that say about it being true to the purpose and point of the show?

The method in which housemates are evicted is an additional part of different versions of the show, it has nothing to do with the premise of Big Brother. And as I said earlier, I would go so far as to say that a version without a public vote is a lot more purer and true to the 'social experiment' idea that BB once was.
But the idea is that each housemate is subject to the scrutiny of not just the other housemates but also the viewing audience, it's what involves us in the show and gives the public a chance to shape it. I get that a lot of people aren't always happy about the eviction results that leads to but its still a fundamental part of the show. Its why it's not as simple to have a 'gameplan' in BBUK as it might be in BBUS.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 09:30 PM #89

Quote:
Some of them are sure, the point I'm making is they in no way deserved to be evicted over the people they were up against

The public vote sucks because the actual right person hardly ever leaves
Surely, the public are more likely to keep the annoying-but-entertaining housemates, than the other housemates who have to live with them.

In the traditional format it's the housemates who nominate the big-character housemates in the first place. That why so many of that type of housemate leave in public votes.

Making the show into one about strategy and making alliances might stop that, if you didn't keep the public vote, but I think that kind of show would get boring quite quickly. That's not what Big Brother is all about, in my opinion.

Last edited by James; 30-08-2017 at 09:31 PM.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 10:12 PM #90
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Tbf, BBCan isn't 20 years into its run with the novelty factor well and truly over and past its best.

It may make sense for them financially to provide free feeds. BBUK is dead in the water really.
Of course, but BBUS still provides them for a subscription 19 seasons in, as do many other countries around the world. There is no justification whatsoever - other than C5's long-running desperation to run this show into the ground - to not provide a live stream, which was the original premise of Big Brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
But the idea is that each housemate is subject to the scrutiny of not just the other housemates but also the viewing audience, it's what involves us in the show and gives the public a chance to shape it. I get that a lot of people aren't always happy about the eviction results that leads to but its still a fundamental part of the show. Its why it's not as simple to have a 'gameplan' in BBUK as it might be in BBUS.
It has been for BBUK, sure, but the method of evictions isn't included in the premise of Big Brother itself (though you may not have implied that in your last post tbf).

I don't agree with your last sentence. Having a gameplan in BBUK is completely straightforward. You enter the house, you befriend everyone, you do not rock the boat, you don't get nominated (and if you do you make sure you say nothing so as to fly under the radar and escape eviction under VTE), you make the final week, then suddenly appear, play up the 'nice guy/girl' schtick, and hey presto you've won Ł100k. In actuality your biggest obstacle to winning BBUK these days is some ridiculous twist the producers have decided upon hours before the eviction shows.

In BBUS your social and strategic game are everything. You need to convince your houseguests that you're loyal enough to trust, likeable enough to award $500k to on finale night, yet not so much so that you become a threat to their chances of winning. You need to win competitions at the right time or risk being seen as a threat, and be able to nominate and evict people without burning their jury vote. There's a hell of a lot more to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Surely, the public are more likely to keep the annoying-but-entertaining housemates, than the other housemates who have to live with them.

In the traditional format it's the housemates who nominate the big-character housemates in the first place. That why so many of that type of housemate leave in public votes.

Making the show into one about strategy and making alliances might stop that, if you didn't keep the public vote, but I think that kind of show would get boring quite quickly. That's not what Big Brother is all about, in my opinion.
You would hope so, re. the first point - and it's something I say day in, day out during every on season - but it just doesn't happen. VTE is a system which encourages people to think they too are living with the housemates and so they vote negatively, it's counterproductive. I agree about the normal nominations process being part of the problem since housemates will always nominate those who annoy them - in many ways it supersedes the public vote in that sense (which is why it should change!).

To be fair, there are other reasons for this (namely the CEO of CBS being married to the host) - but BBUS looks likely to continue way beyond BBUK, so I wouldn't agree it could get boring quickly. The reason I watch Big Brother is because I enjoy watching strangers living in a house (and being able to 24/7), locked away from the outside world and having to interact with each other (which is what I see the premise of the show as being). The format of the show is secondary, I just happen to prefer the US one as I think it's more interesting, isn't counterproductive to the entertainment value of the series, and is actually more of a social experiment than if you have the public involved. If it's just the housemates left to their own devices rather than having public influences, there's nothing purer a social experiment than that.
Old 30-08-2017, 10:14 PM #91

Oh I agree they've ran it into the ground.

But I also agree that BBUS probably has a hell of a lot more willing viewers to pay for a subscription feed. I don't see it being all that popular over here.
Old 30-08-2017, 10:17 PM #92

I'd much rather we went back to the heart of BBUK.

Watching people living together and trying to sort out their own differences whilst being picked off one by one by the viewers.

It would be a nightmare for it to become "strategy". I don't watch BBUS but even I am bored of the number of times you hear those words and other similes when watching clips.

BB15 illustrated how annoying it could be with the Power Housemate nonsense we endured for the first three weeks or so.
Old 30-08-2017, 10:17 PM #93
Hakuna Matata

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Love Island 5: Maura

Hakuna Matata

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Love Island 5: Maura

Until Jack deletes this man from his avatar and sig no one take him seriously
Ross. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 10:17 PM #94
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Oh I agree they've ran it into the ground.

But I also agree that BBUS probably has a hell of a lot more willing viewers to pay for a subscription feed. I don't see it being all that popular over here.
That is a fair point, but whilst I realise any network is a business, I still don't think you should take on a format like Big Brother which has at its heart an understanding that you can watch it play out 24 hours a day (an innovation at the time), and remove that - whether it made a loss or not. There are many ways they could save money in order to fund a subscription feed.
Old 30-08-2017, 10:19 PM #95

Quote:
That is a fair point, but whilst I realise any network is a business, I still don't think you should take on a format like Big Brother which has at its heart an understanding that you can watch it play out 24 hours a day (an innovation at the time), and remove that - whether it made a loss or not. There are many ways they could save money in order to fund a subscription feed.
And on that I'll agree completely. They shouldn't have taken on the show if they're not willing to do it properly and include everything it entails. If they feel they can't afford to fund such an endeavour, or don't have the resources, schedule space or whatever reason they're using this year they shouldn't have taken it on.
Old 30-08-2017, 10:19 PM #96
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross. View Post
#TheTeam at TiBB Mattress tho
Old 30-08-2017, 10:23 PM #97
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
And on that I'll agree completely. They shouldn't have taken on the show if they're not willing to do it properly and include everything it entails. If they feel they can't afford to fund such an endeavour, or don't have the resources, schedule space or whatever reason they're using this year they shouldn't have taken it on.
At last I agree with someone in this thread!

C5 have systematically and slowly destroyed every fibre of this once wonderful programme, it makes me sad. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed certain series on C5, I have, but they were certainly not thanks to them. The show is now a laughing stock not just to the commentariat, but even to its biggest fans. It's a disgrace.
Old 30-08-2017, 10:25 PM #98
A great thief

A great thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross. View Post
nothing wrong with Matt
Old 30-08-2017, 10:39 PM #99

Quote:
At last I agree with someone in this thread!

C5 have systematically and slowly destroyed every fibre of this once wonderful programme, it makes me sad. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed certain series on C5, I have, but they were certainly not thanks to them. The show is now a laughing stock not just to the commentariat, but even to its biggest fans. It's a disgrace.
Old 31-08-2017, 12:06 AM #100

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Asttina Mandela
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Asttina Mandela
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

it would probably be a vote on the BB app and it would probably be free as well as Netflix don't rely on ads.
Maxxie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
amazon, channel 5, drop, fight, netflix, show