Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:23 PM #1
Banned

Banned

Default Iron Fist (Debuts on Netflix on the 17th March)

The last Marvel solo series to air before the Defenders. I think it looks okay, definitely looks more in line with Daredevil than Jessica Jones/Luke Cage.

Last edited by Tom4784; 07-02-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:51 AM #2
-

-

I can't say I previously knew much about Iron Fist before he was announced for Netflix/Defenders but from this trailer... ... ...

... ... ... Oliver Queen? Iss dat you?

Some definite similarities ther but it still looks decent and I'll probs binge it. I just hope the final 20 minutes of Luke Cage wasn't indicative of the direction we're heading because I honestly found it awful despite enjoying the series as a whole .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:06 PM #3
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I can't say I previously knew much about Iron Fist before he was announced for Netflix/Defenders but from this trailer... ... ...

... ... ... Oliver Queen? Iss dat you?

Some definite similarities ther but it still looks decent and I'll probs binge it. I just hope the final 20 minutes of Luke Cage wasn't indicative of the direction we're heading because I honestly found it awful despite enjoying the series as a whole .
I loved the first half of Luke Cage but the second half was terrible and it only gets worse the more I think about it.

Spoiler:

Getting rid of Cottonmouth so quickly was stupid, Diamondback was a pantomine villain and they missed a trick by sidelining Mariah in favour of him.

It's also annoying that a huge chunk of the series was spent on trying to sort out Luke' injury when they could have dealt with that arc in less time and still have the impact it had before. Luke Cage should have been an eight episode series, there was way too much filler in the last half.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:16 PM #4
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I loved the first half of Luke Cage but the second half was terrible and it only gets worse the more I think about it.

Spoiler:

Getting rid of Cottonmouth so quickly was stupid, Diamondback was a pantomine villain and they missed a trick by sidelining Mariah in favour of him.

It's also annoying that a huge chunk of the series was spent on trying to sort out Luke' injury when they could have dealt with that arc in less time and still have the impact it had before. Luke Cage should have been an eight episode series, there was way too much filler in the last half.
Spoiler:

Cottonmouth was a much better villain, and the only thing that saved the latter half in terms of villains was Mariah and Shades who I thought was decent. I still found it watchable almost all of the way but I swear to god, the second half of the final episode is some of the worst written television I've ever seen, literally. To the point that I don't actually understand how it can have happened. The writing is bad... The dialogue is awful... The premise is stupid and unrealistic (for a superhero drama, even!)... I just can't.
Old 19-03-2017, 11:47 AM #5
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Finished the Iron Fist, I quite enjoyed it, here's my rankings for all four Defenders

1) Daredevil
2) Luke Cage
3) Iron Fist
4) Jessica Jones

I've really loved them all, despite any flaws they may have.
Old 19-03-2017, 01:28 PM #6
Banned

Banned

I watched the first two episodes and I'm completely bored by it. The writing is terrible and clumsy (the hobo in the first episode randomly offering to google people for Danny was atrociously written). The choreography so far is underwhelming and most of the characters seem like archetypes. I'll keep going with it but it does feel like the bosses of the Netflix Marvel shows decided to let the interns do Iron Fist.
Old 19-03-2017, 02:15 PM #7
-

-

I'm sort of enjoying it but agree it's not quite up to Netflix-marvel standards for me. Some of the writing is indeed clumsy but the major issue for me is that Danny Rand (thus far, I'm on episode 6) is straight up unlikeable? And a bit... Simple, almost?
Old 19-03-2017, 02:46 PM #8
Banned

Banned

Quote:
I'm sort of enjoying it but agree it's not quite up to Netflix-marvel standards for me. Some of the writing is indeed clumsy but the major issue for me is that Danny Rand (thus far, I'm on episode 6) is straight up unlikeable? And a bit... Simple, almost?
Yeah, for a monk that spouts off wise sayings a lot he is quite dumb and naive.
Old 19-03-2017, 02:52 PM #9
-

-

Quote:
Yeah, for a monk that spouts off wise sayings a lot he is quite dumb and naive.
It's how confused he seems when people think he's nuts when he starts talking about the Iron Fist and other dimensions...

"Wot? It's true! Why are you not believe me? "
Old 19-03-2017, 03:00 PM #10

Reviews are slaughtering it. Will give it a go soon. It can't be worse than Luke Cage after you know what happens..

Last edited by Brother Leon; 19-03-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Brother Leon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 03:02 PM #11
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Leon View Post
Reviews are slaughtering it. Will give it a go soon. It can't be worse then Luke Cage after you know what happens..
Just judging from what I've seen, I'd say it's easily worse. It might get better in time but I'll probably drag myself to the end of it just so I don't miss out on anything for The Defenders.
Old 19-03-2017, 03:04 PM #12
Banned

Banned

Quote:
It's how confused he seems when people think he's nuts when he starts talking about the Iron Fist and other dimensions...

"Wot? It's true! Why are you not believe me? "
It's really bad writing.... Although on one hand the characters exist in a world where the existence of aliens and alternate dimensions where Norse Gods reside are common knowledge so I'm guessing it's not too much of a stretch...

The way Danny goes about trying to prove it is silly though.
Old 19-03-2017, 03:04 PM #13
-

-

Quote:
Reviews are slaughtering it. Will give it a go soon. It can't be worse then Luke Cage after you know what happens..
To be fair some of the problems that the reviewers have with it are political bull**** like cultural misappropriation. Yawn. I think they're on the harsh side. The writing is still MOSTLY decent. The main issue for me is Danny Rand himself. I don't rate the character or the actor tbh
Old 19-03-2017, 03:07 PM #14
-

-

Quote:
It's really bad writing.... Although on one hand the characters exist in a world where the existence of aliens and alternate dimensions where Norse Gods reside are common knowledge so I'm guessing it's not too much of a stretch...

That bothers me too, though! The fact that they find it SO crazy. In a world where they know about Thor... The Hulk... And it's New York so they now have Spiderman on their doorstep. They react like they don't understand that it's possible.
Old 19-03-2017, 03:14 PM #15
Banned

Banned

Quote:
That bothers me too, though! The fact that they find it SO crazy. In a world where they know about Thor... The Hulk... And it's New York so they now have Spiderman on their doorstep. They react like they don't understand that it's possible.
Yeah, it's just bad writing on both sides, it makes no sense for any of them to act like they do but they do so anyway because the plot demands it.
Old 19-03-2017, 03:33 PM #16

Quote:
To be fair some of the problems that the reviewers have with it are political bull**** like cultural misappropriation. Yawn. I think they're on the harsh side. The writing is still MOSTLY decent. The main issue for me is Danny Rand himself. I don't rate the character or the actor tbh
That would be fairly stupid if so considering Danny Rand is supposed to be a white guy from NYC.

Brother Leon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 04:58 PM #17
-

-

Quote:
That would be fairly stupid if so considering Danny Rand is supposed to be a white guy from NYC.
True but show critics aren't always aware of the comic book lore, and also, there has been criticism of the comic in the past for the same...
Old 19-03-2017, 05:56 PM #18
-

-

Quote:
Just judging from what I've seen, I'd say it's easily worse. It might get better in time but I'll probably drag myself to the end of it just so I don't miss out on anything for The Defenders.
Tentatively, I'd say the first 2/3 episodes are the worst, but there's always the chance it could slide backwards before the end. I mean, I thought Luke Cage was great for the first half, mediocre for most of the second half, and then straight up ****ing ridiculous in the final episode sooo it's not over until it's over I guess
Old 19-03-2017, 06:00 PM #19
-

-

I'm also unsure what it is that Rand brings to the defenders that's any different? He essentially fights like Daredevil, but with a Luke-Cage-Hand limit break . OK his iron fist thing might actually be stronger than Cage / Jessica Jones but from what I've seen so far, he can't or doesn't actually use it very often .
Old 19-03-2017, 06:01 PM #20
-

-

Maybe he's the Tony Stark and they need his dollaz...
Old 19-03-2017, 06:02 PM #21
-

-

Oh yeah, which reminds me, someone in an early episode described that Rands as the richest family in New York / Rand as the richest company. Does that mean he's richer than Stark? Also... Isn't it likely that he would have met / know the Starks when he was young?

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 19-03-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 19-03-2017, 08:46 PM #22
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Quote:

The way I see it, is, Danny is still sort of a child, sure he's grown up with monks, but in the real world he has next to no experience, you see hints of that in the board meetings. Iron Fist does have issues, but its an okay series, I'd say it mostly suffers from a low low budget. Also, Iron Fist should have had a mask, they could have had a double doing the fight scenes.
Old 19-03-2017, 08:49 PM #23
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Oh yeah, which reminds me, someone in an early episode described that Rands as the richest family in New York / Rand as the richest company. Does that mean he's richer than Stark? Also... Isn't it likely that he would have met / know the Starks when he was young?
I guess the Stark family isnt just confined to New York though, where as the Rand family seems to have been based there for years. It is possible that the Rand and Stark families once met I'd say.

Also, interesting little nugget, this is from the flashback in S1 Ep1 of Daredevil
Old 19-03-2017, 09:57 PM #24
Banned

Banned

Just finished Episode 4, it's gotten watchable now that they've started to develop a story beyond all the Dallas styled soap opera **** but Danny's insufferable and the actor is just not very convincing in the role. He looks and acts like a student that's just come back from a gap year, not a martial arts master that spent 15 years training.

I guess I consider it watchable as a guilty pleasure but it's a far cry from the likes of Jessica Jones which was just a fantastic show through and through.
Old 19-03-2017, 11:19 PM #25
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

I've given it time now, I think the show is okay, if they do a season 2, they need to really up their game, hopefully Danny will be better in the Defenders.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
17th, debuts, fist, iron, march, netflix