Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 30-12-2017, 06:11 PM #1
Banned

Banned

Default Top 5/10 games of 2017?

What's been your top 5/10 games of the year?

10. What Remains of Edith Finch
Feels a bit odd to call it a game since it feels more like an interactive film more than anything. The 'game', if I'm to briefly explain it is about a girl named Edith Finch who returns to her family home to learn more about her family history and the supposed curse that has led to everyone in her family dying in premature and unfortunate ways. The gameplay consists of exploring the house and learning about each family member and how they perished and each story has it's own unique style of gameplay. It doesn't really sound that interesting but it's very engrossing and is one to be experienced.

9. Life is Strange: Before the Storm
I loved Life is Strange and Before the Storm just gives more details to characters we only heard about in the first one. Despite lacking the time travel hook or the central mystery of the first game, it still proves to be as interesting as the first one. It could have done with another episode though to help space some of the rapid plot developments that happened in the last episode but aside from that I thought the game was excellent.

8. Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Uncharted is a consistently great series and Lost Legacy didn't change that. It's concise but endearing and most of all, it proves that the series can live on without Nathan Drake.

7. Danganronpa V3
I love this series, each game is an emotional rollercoaster and V3 was no different. Each twist that happened snatched me bald and I rarely knew the killer in each case until the end which is rare. The story itself is bold and goes in a direction that I never would have expected and I think the developers finally cracked a lot of the aspects of gameplay which bogged the previous two games down. It makes me wish murder mystery games were more common, I need more than this and Phoenix Wright in my life tbh.

6. Injustice 2
Best fighting game of the year bar none. Loads of unique characters, a lot of different modes (an increasingly rare thing in fighting games) and an excellent story mode (as always from NRS) that just so happens to have some of the best facial animations I've seen in a game. Easy to get into but hard to master, Injustice 2 held my attention for ages.

5. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Possibly one of the most important games of the year. Hellblade follows Senua, a celtic warrior that suffers from Psychosis who goes on a journey into the Norse underworld in order to try to bring her lover back to life. The story is amazing and emotional, the presentation is great and the combat is addictive. The core gameplay of solving visual puzzles does get a little repetitive but it ties in so well to the main character's psychosis that it doesn't really matter that it's repetitive. If you're going to play this one, do so with earphones.

4. Resident Evil VII: Biohazard
I hated everything about this game leading up to it's release, I thought it looked like a knockoff of those cheap first person horror games that are ten a penny on Steam and VR but I was wrong, despite the drastic changes it still managed to be the most traditional RE experience since the PS1 days and the new aspects of the game worked really well. The Bakers were fantastic, their mansion was atmospheric and each encounter with them was a highlight. REVII probably brought back the series from the brink and I can't wait to see what REVIII brings.

3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
A fantastic open world, an intriguing story and a deep battle system that rewards experimentation and creativity make for a game that would have probably been number two in my last had the next game not been released in the same window.

2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I loved this game, the level of detail in the gameplay mechanics are amazing, the world is huge and full of **** to do and the game has constantly got me going back to it. The lack of dungeons in comparison to other Zelda games is disappointing but the inclusion of shrines is a nice way to keep the puzzle aspect alive. It's a game that will go down as an all time great.

1. Persona 5
One of the best RPGs I've played. It's a 70+ hour adventure with an excellent story and a great battle system that you'll spend hours tinkering with. The divide between managing your character's every day life with their nocturnal lives as phantom thieves/demon slayers never gets boring and it's just an addictive game through and through. It's also amazing to look at, the art direction is sensational and even things as mundane as textboxes and menus pop and come to life in a way that only cements this game as one of the best looking games of all time on top of being an all time great in itself.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 06:14 PM #2
-

-

wolfenstein 2
persona 5
resident evil 7
nier automata
horizon: zero dawn
mario + rabbids
breath of the wild

i feel like i’m forgetting some but icr
Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 06:41 PM #3

I haven't played enough to really do a ranking but I'll just give some credit to Breath of the Wild - one the most enjoyable games I've ever played it totally blew me away, might be my favourite game of all time.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 06:51 PM #4
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

1.Friday The 13th