Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB21 Celebrity Big Brother January 2018 [CBB 21] (dubbed Year of the Women). Discuss the housemates and series - which was won by Courtney Act - here.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 AM #26
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

Urgh, I can't stand that woman. She's truly vile!
Old 03-01-2018, 11:03 AM #27

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
How is that possible, theres only 5k people in the world
I have 2 Twitters so maybe some people with multiple accounts are liking?
Ant. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:08 AM #28
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbro View Post
I have 2 Twitters so maybe some people with multiple accounts are liking?
Oh yeah probably good point.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:27 AM #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
Nothing against India personally but I can think of women I'd rather have seen in a show promoting itself as celebrating women as I posted on a thread yesterday. Apparently thinking that maybe women shouldn't have to step aside for someone who wasn't born a woman is bigotry. Why is it women who must always be expected to step aside? Is it only sexism when it fits the populist shoe?

And I can't stand Katie Hopkins.
Women haven't been asked to step aside. There are 7 cis women in the house and 1 trans woman. Nobody is saying there shouldn't be any women who were born women, however you are saying there should be no trans women. I understand your view is that trans women shouldn't be included as part of the female cast (although I disagree with that), but it's not the case that people who are supportive of India's right to be in there are trying to take rights away from other people, it's about wanting both to be included.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:36 PM #30
🌈 silly cow 🌈

🌈 silly cow 🌈

Chuff do you agree with her tweet? Legit curious.
Jase. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:41 PM #31
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Nothing against India personally but I can think of women I'd rather have seen in a show promoting itself as celebrating women as I posted on a thread yesterday. Apparently thinking that maybe women shouldn't have to step aside for someone who wasn't born a woman is bigotry. Why is it women who must always be expected to step aside? Is it only sexism when it fits the populist shoe?

And I can't stand Katie Hopkins.
Basically this.

Though India is clearly a genuine transsexual, and is extremely critical of the ridiculous transactivists who reckon penises are female and lesbians are transphobic for not shagging male people. I don't mind calling her a woman (given the definition of woman appears to have changed to include male people, though noone can actually give a definition of woman that does not refer to biology or stereotypes, or is not circular) or using she for her. But she is NOT female. Female is a biological thing. This should have been billed as an 'all woman' launch or something.

India is very stereotypical and seems to think all female people should follow stereotypes too. India reckons its vile for female people to not shave their legs and such. Because of these opinions, India is a douchebag anyway. I genuinely hope she can change my mind though.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 03-01-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:15 PM #32

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
Women haven't been asked to step aside. There are 7 cis women in the house and 1 trans woman. Nobody is saying there shouldn't be any women who were born women, however you are saying there should be no trans women. I understand your view is that trans women shouldn't be included as part of the female cast (although I disagree with that), but it's not the case that people who are supportive of India's right to be in there are trying to take rights away from other people, it's about wanting both to be included.
I wanted to thank you for your reply Jamie because you managed to disagree intelligently without calling me names which happened in another thread. And I'm glad you see the point.

You say women haven't been asked to step aside but for India to be in the house, it means someone who was born a woman can't have that place in a house supposedly celebrating women. Therefore a born woman has had to make way for India.

India has 'been a woman' for two years, having lived as a man and fathering a son, for fifty years. I can't see how that qualifies her as a woman. What does someone who lived as a man for fifty years really know about being a woman? Would you put a two year old child into the house as a woman? Good luck to her if she wants to live as a woman. I fully support that if it makes her happy but it does not make her a woman with the same experiences as those of us born to it.

If this house was celebrating trans women or gay men, would you put me in as a representative when I know stuff all about living as a trans woman or a gay man?

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 03-01-2018 at 03:22 PM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:18 PM #33
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Great housemate vile human being

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:18 PM #34

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam. View Post
Great housemate vile human being
She was a one note tired hag in the house.
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:37 PM #35

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):

Remember when she wanted to build on being a gay icon after her stint in CBB15 lol
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:34 PM #36

Quote:
I wanted to thank you for your reply Jamie because you managed to disagree intelligently without calling me names which happened in another thread. And I'm glad you see the point.

You say women haven't been asked to step aside but for India to be in the house, it means someone who was born a woman can't have that place in a house supposedly celebrating women. Therefore a born woman has had to make way for India.

India has 'been a woman' for two years, having lived as a man and fathering a son, for fifty years. I can't see how that qualifies her as a woman. What does someone who lived as a man for fifty years really know about being a woman? Would you put a two year old child into the house as a woman? Good luck to her if she wants to live as a woman. I fully support that if it makes her happy but it does not make her a woman with the same experiences as those of us born to it.

If this house was celebrating trans women or gay men, would you put me in as a representative when I know stuff all about living as a trans woman or a gay man?
Thanks Jaxie. Basically I disagree with the idea of needing to have specific experiences to be considered a woman. People have vastly different experiences in life across all sorts of factors such as race, culture, social status and gender identity too. Yes there are certain biological differences that a trans woman will never experience (and there are things about being a trans woman that cis women will never experience), but I think it's still ok to have those different experiences and for both to be considered women... just different women with different experiences.
The way I think of it is like woman being more of an umbrella term that can include both cis and trans women, rather than saying that cis and trans women are the same, their differences can still be acknowledged whilst at the same time both be considered women in a broader sense, if that makes sense. I think there's a common misconception that when someone says "transwomen are women too" they're saying that "transwomen and women born female are the same" and it therefore diminishes the experiences of cis women, or lumps cis women into a category where they're the same as males, or takes something away from women or is a redefinition, but that isn't the case, as far as I'm concerned anyway.

So yes the house could have been all cis women but if it's meant to explore what it is to be a woman in 2018 then I think it makes sense to be inclusive of India as a lot of people would consider her a woman, and you say yourself that you support her to live as a woman so is it not contradictory to say she shouldn't take part in something that explores what it is like to live as a woman?

You're last paragraph I think I sort of explain in the above, in that I think trans women are part of a wider categorisation of women, and so still fit with this theme, whereas I don't think you'd fit in with a trans or gay theme (I don't know you that well I'm just assuming based on you asking the question ) However as an example, one of my friends is a trans man (born female) who is also bi-sexual, and if he was part of either of those scenarios I'd be in favour of it and would think he'd make a great addition, for example if he was part of a gay male cast he'd able to bring a different experience and perspective of what it is to be those things than most people could (he's bisexual but is married to a man so in many respects has a lot of the same social experiences that gay men have), so even though he isn't technically biologically male or gay, he's often treated as both by society, and bb after all is meant (supposedly) to be a social experiment.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:47 PM #37
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

I'm afraid i'm very skeptical about the inclusion of India. I think it was a cynical ploy by the producers to create a bit of controversy for the shows launch. Did they need to generate that controversy, not sure, but, I think to a degree India is being exploited for it, which to me goes against the theme they wish to promote, and by that, I refer to the exploitation of women
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:00 PM #38
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Totally agree
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:08 PM #39

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

I like India but she will never be a fully fledged woman,she may have the cosmetics outside the nips and tucks and things to make her look more like a woman but she has no womb,she has no ovaries and wont give birth as a natural female would.Having said that so be it if she wants to be seen as a woman,she is quite an attractive 'woman'but facts are facts.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:11 PM #40
User banned

Favourites (more):

User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
I like India but she will never be a fully fledged woman,she may have the cosmetics outside the nips and tucks and things to make her look more like a woman but she has no womb,she has no ovaries and wont give birth as a natural female would.Having said that so be it if she wants to be seen as a woman,she is quite an attractive 'woman'but facts are facts.
I agree, she can never be a fully fledged woman she's a wannabe
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:24 PM #41

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Thanks Jaxie. Basically I disagree with the idea of needing to have specific experiences to be considered a woman. People have vastly different experiences in life across all sorts of factors such as race, culture, social status and gender identity too. Yes there are certain biological differences that a trans woman will never experience (and there are things about being a trans woman that cis women will never experience), but I think it's still ok to have those different experiences and for both to be considered women... just different women with different experiences.
The way I think of it is like woman being more of an umbrella term that can include both cis and trans women, rather than saying that cis and trans women are the same, their differences can still be acknowledged whilst at the same time both be considered women in a broader sense, if that makes sense. I think there's a common misconception that when someone says "transwomen are women too" they're saying that "transwomen and women born female are the same" and it therefore diminishes the experiences of cis women, or lumps cis women into a category where they're the same as males, or takes something away from women or is a redefinition, but that isn't the case, as far as I'm concerned anyway.

So yes the house could have been all cis women but if it's meant to explore what it is to be a woman in 2018 then I think it makes sense to be inclusive of India as a lot of people would consider her a woman, and you say yourself that you support her to live as a woman so is it not contradictory to say she shouldn't take part in something that explores what it is like to live as a woman?

You're last paragraph I think I sort of explain in the above, in that I think trans women are part of a wider categorisation of women, and so still fit with this theme, whereas I don't think you'd fit in with a trans or gay theme (I don't know you that well I'm just assuming based on you asking the question ) However as an example, one of my friends is a trans man (born female) who is also bi-sexual, and if he was part of either of those scenarios I'd be in favour of it and would think he'd make a great addition, for example if he was part of a gay male cast he'd able to bring a different experience and perspective of what it is to be those things than most people could (he's bisexual but is married to a man so in many respects has a lot of the same social experiences that gay men have), so even though he isn't technically biologically male or gay, he's often treated as both by society, and bb after all is meant (supposedly) to be a social experiment.
I don't think we are going to agree but you express yourself well and have a positive point of view. You identify me as a cis woman and I am not. I am a woman, a female, that's my gender. By calling me a cis woman you are literally robbing me of my gender. I respect India's right to live as a woman and I hope it makes her happy but that's just the thing, she can live as a woman but she can never be a woman, a female. It's not possible, even with surgery.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
Old 03-01-2018, 05:34 PM #42

Quote:
I don't think we are going to agree but you express yourself well and have a positive point of view. You identify me as a cis woman and I am not. I am a woman, a female, that's my gender. By calling me a cis woman you are literally robbing me of my gender. I respect India's right to live as a woman and I hope it makes her happy but that's just the thing, she can live as a woman but she can never be a woman, a female. It's not possible, even with surgery.
"Cis woman" is purely meant as a way of differentiating from "trans woman", its not a further categorisation or a means of taking anyhing away, it's just to make the conversation easier to understand - I'd only use it in a conversation about trans people and it's only used so as to identify who is being referred to, there's nothing else intended and it's certainly not to be taken offensively. It's the same as if it were a conversation about race and the terms "black woman" or "white woman" were used to discuss differences, compared to "cis woman" or "trans woman". Yes I don't think we'll agree but I felt that should be clarified as the use of that word often gets misinterpreted.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:34 PM #43

Quote:

Well put together...and well said.
rusticgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:35 PM #44

Quote:
...and they are the facts...with no offence meant
rusticgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:47 PM #45
Banned

Banned

Quote:
So, by your definition, is a woman that has a hysterectomy no longer a woman?
Are women that can't give birth for whatever women not a woman in your eyes?
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:50 PM #46

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
"Cis woman" is purely meant as a way of differentiating from "trans woman", its not a further categorisation or a means of taking anyhing away, it's just to make the conversation easier to understand - I'd only use it in a conversation about trans people and it's only used so as to identify who is being referred to, there's nothing else intended and it's certainly not to be taken offensively. It's the same as if it were a conversation about race and the terms "black woman" or "white woman" were used to discuss differences, compared to "cis woman" or "trans woman". Yes I don't think we'll agree but I felt that should be clarified as the use of that word often gets misinterpreted.
I shouldn't need further categorisation. I'm a woman, India is a trans woman. Can I ask do you call non trans men cis men?

― Richard Dawkins
Old 03-01-2018, 05:52 PM #47

But she answered her own statement...

She has no penis...

So not a man.
Gusto Brunt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:54 PM #48

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Chuff if you're so proud of your own opinion (you clearly do agree with her) why were you trying to hide the fact you agreed with her by saying you were just posting what she had said?
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:56 PM #49

Quote:
I shouldn't need further categorisation. I'm a woman, India is a trans woman. Can I ask do you call non trans men cis men?
I said it's not meant as further categorisation, it's just used to make what's being discussed easier to understand so you know who's being referred to. This is all just semantics it's not about labelling so there really isn't any need for offense to be taken. I would refer to a non trans man as a cis man if the conversation was about trans people, as I said in my previous post. It's no different to you saying "non trans men" in your post. You used those words to identify a man who was born male, that's exactly the same as saying "cis man"

Old 03-01-2018, 05:57 PM #50
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

Legend Denise DRAGGED the vile specimen.
Greg! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
hopkins, katie