Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 25-01-2018, 05:43 PM #1
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Default Jordan Peterson: Anti-social Psychopaths

I'll add my comments, but watch the video first...

My husband works with the mentally ill in detentions and so we have a lot of conversations about this type of stuff because he sees a lot. Anyway, we also have friends who either work in psych or have a lot of experience with it (), so we watch a lot of documentaries/interviews.... I find this stuff utterly fascinating.

I thought this one clip would be a nice one to share... it's not too long and it's quite meaty. But I have some 1-2 hour long ones if anyone is interested... I just don't post very much YT because most of what I watch/read is not going to be on the short side.

It's interesting what he mentions in terms of some people feeling strongly they are good people, but once you put them in a position where they can be bad without fear of consequences, those people would find out quickly they are not the good people they thought they would be in those circumstances...

I'd argue the internet and the case for anonymity obviously sets up conditions for these character traits to thrive in the general populace, though usually through written communication.

Is this a bad thing? I don't necessarily think so. It is good we have the opportunity to see what we are truly capable of (at our worst) and it does give us a chance to modify/curtail our own behavior... as mentioned in the video.

So maybe it is good we have a somewhat "safe" and mostly harmless environment for us to explore our Shadow side without causing too much damage... so something to think about it if you are a privacy advocate.

Last edited by Maru; 25-01-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 05:49 PM #2
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post

It's interesting what he mentions in terms of some people feeling strongly they are good people, but once you put them in a position where they can be bad without fear of consequences, those people would find out quickly they are not the good people they thought they would be in those circumstances...
Surely all, or nearly all people think this way?! I know people say they don't, but I cannot actually believe it. If there was personal gain, and there were no chance of consequences than I would absolutely do bad things tbh..
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 05:56 PM #3
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Surely all, or nearly all people think this way?! I know people say they don't, but I cannot actually believe it. If there was personal gain, and there were no chance of consequences than I would absolutely do bad things tbh..
Well, I don't think it's no chance of consequences at all, just no chance of consequences that will personally affect the perpetrator. Obviously it will affect someone. If it doesn't affect anyone then it can't really be described as "a bad thing".

I guess the answer for me is... It depends on who will be affected, and it depends how badly someone will be affected relative to the personal gain. Like in a "know you'll get away with it" sense I very much doubt that many people would steal £10 knowing that the consequence would be a random person dying. On the other hand, if someone could steal £50k (no risk of getting caught) and the consequence was a large corporation having to make an insurance claim... I think the majority of people (at least those on average incomes) would probably do it.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 10:21 PM #4
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

what he mentions in terms of some people feeling strongly they are good people, but once you put them in a position where they can be bad without fear of consequences, those people would find out quickly they are not the good people they thought they would be in those circumstances...

Yeah this theory was proven in the both the Milgram experiment and the Stanford prison experiment, this is not a new concept, he's not breaking any new ground here is he?

As with media influence the public will lean as far as is socially acceptable to do so if supported by 'the majority'.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
antisocial, jordan, peterson, psychopaths