Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB21 Celebrity Big Brother January 2018 [CBB 21] (dubbed Year of the Women). Discuss the housemates and series - which was won by Courtney Act - here.

Closed Thread

Old 30-01-2018, 03:45 PM #101
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Ann doesn't seem to be fond of scientific evidence either

Quote:
She has expressed a variety of views on scientific issues such as climate change but has been opposed to legislation reducing emissions. Her views on the subject appear to have hardened over time. In 2007, she wrote that she did not want to belittle the issue but was sceptical of the claims that specific actions would prevent catastrophe,[18] then in 2008 that her doubts had been "crystalised" by Nigel Lawson's book An Appeal to Reason,[19] before stating in 2009 that "There is no climate change, hasn’t anybody looked out of their window recently?"[20] She was one of the five MPs who voted against the Climate Change Act 2008.[21] In 2011 she expressed the view that "climate change money should go to armed services".[22] The previous year, she voted to support a parliamentary motion supporting homeopathy, criticising the Science and Technology Committee's Report on the subject
Wikipedia
Old 30-01-2018, 03:53 PM #102
🌈 silly cow 🌈

🌈 silly cow 🌈

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaki da View Post
You've heard very little in your life if a comment like that is shocking to you.
Shocking? Nah. Preposterous? Absolutely.
Old 30-01-2018, 03:56 PM #103
Banned

Favourites (more):
CBB21: India Willoughby
CBBUSA: Omarosa Manigault
Banned

Favourites (more):

A lot of these votes are pretty bad but Ann has been a fantastic housemate (far better than the rest of them really) and people like Amanda and such have shown that you can find common ground and enjoy a person despite conflicting political opinion
Old 30-01-2018, 04:12 PM #104
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

I have always thought the majority of Ann's views sucked all the way back to when she was voting, but that's not what being a hm on big brother is about, at least not for me anyway. I look to be entertained. As India put it herself in the house, it's not panarama, so why should it be viewed like panarama outside the house either?

I haven't seen the show in the last week, but the shows I watched, I found her consistently entertaining, and inoffensive ... I couldn't really ask for more

Last edited by bitontheslide; 30-01-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 30-01-2018, 04:25 PM #105
haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

haunted

Favourites (more):

horrible woman.

Spoiler:

Old 30-01-2018, 04:26 PM #106

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

I probably would have voted the same apart from the last one.
Old 30-01-2018, 04:33 PM #107
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Well, I suppose that's where we differ. I can't put aside what a HM stands for. It's too big a part of them, I mean, their views and past actions.
If you take the logic of just judging them as they are in the house then even a serial killer might be charming to be around for a few weeks. I'm taking this argument ad absurdum, of course. I'm not comparing Ann, a dogmatic right-wing former politician with intimacy issues to a dangerous killer.

I agree with everyone's efforts in there to bring a human side of Ann out. Whatever you think of individual HMs, they all tried to engage her in a positive way. I'm sure it will do her a lot of good and maybe in time, lead to her changing some of her preconceptions.
But I don't agree with ignoring or brushing aside her core beliefs because it's inconvenient to challenge them (like Amanda or Wayne or all others, except ShaneJ or Andrew, do). It compromises their integrity and looks false.
Old 30-01-2018, 04:36 PM #108
haunted

Favourites (more):

haunted

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Well, I suppose that's where we differ. I can't put aside what a HM stands for. It's too big a part of them, I mean, their views and past actions.
If you take the logic of just judging them as they are in the house then even a serial killer might be charming to be around for a few weeks. I'm taking this argument ad absurdum, of course. I'm not comparing Ann, a dogmatic right-wing former politician with intimacy issues to a dangerous killer.

I agree with everyone's efforts in there to bring a human side of Ann out. Whatever you think of individual HMs, they all tried to engage her in a positive way. I'm sure it will do her a lot of good and maybe in time, lead to her changing some of her preconceptions.
But I don't agree with ignoring or brushing aside her core beliefs because it's inconvenient to challenge them (like Amanda or Wayne or all others, except ShaneJ or Andrew, do). It compromises their integrity and looks false.
this!

Spoiler:

Old 30-01-2018, 04:40 PM #109
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Don't be silly it does nothing of the sort, have all the HMs been interogated on their political or religious views, no they haven't, Amanda and Wayne did not research Ann before they went into the house because they went in to get a fee and perhaps have the experience, Shane J researched her, not sure if he researched anyone else but I think its a first for CBB for someone to own up that they had researched someone before going into the house instead of going in with an open mind

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 30-01-2018, 04:40 PM #110
Banned

Favourites (more):
Banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:

It’s not about inconvenience, Amanda gets she isn’t going to change Ann’s views on stuff so she just accepts and loves her as a person

Shane j isn’t bothered bout changing her views he just wants to push a, imo malicious, narrative. I wouldn’t like Ann if she forced her views down people’s throats, but she doesn’t so I can put them aside and appreciate her as a person
Old 30-01-2018, 04:47 PM #111

Quote:

Ann is no serial killer, this exaggeration is a step too far.

Her core beliefs are hurting no one at the moment because she has retired and her views are now ineffective.

These views will die out in time when the older generation meets their maker and fingers crossed the next generation can move forwards without the hate and vitriol shown on here by her detractors.

There is nothing anyone can do to change her, she is content within her skin. I do not think with all the pontificating in the world has made Shane J happy with his.
Old 30-01-2018, 05:29 PM #112
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppsywoppsy View Post
Ann is no serial killer, this exaggeration is a step too far.
Can you understand English?
I wrote:

Quote:
I'm not comparing Ann, a dogmatic right-wing former politician with intimacy issues to a dangerous killer.
Old 30-01-2018, 05:34 PM #113
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
[/B]

Don't be silly it does nothing of the sort, have all the HMs been interogated on their political or religious views, no they haven't, Amanda and Wayne did not research Ann before they went into the house
I'd imagine he researched everybody as he is from abroad.

You think Amanda or Wayne lived under a rock all their lives? Ann has been a prominent public figure for decades.
Old 30-01-2018, 05:34 PM #114

Quote:
Can you understand English?
I wrote:
In your first paragraph, it was a comparison.

The fact you negated it later did not remove why you compared them in the first place, the inference had been made.

No personal comments please

Last edited by poppsywoppsy; 30-01-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 30-01-2018, 05:38 PM #115

Favourites:
BB13: Luke A

Favourites:
BB13: Luke A

Quote:

Absolutely spot on. I cannot look the other way just because she's entertaining, which she is tbh, but on her terms it seems. Shame that BB put her in seeing it's the Year of The Woman and she's hardly stood up for woman's rights now has she?
Old 30-01-2018, 05:43 PM #116

Did any one else read that list in Marcus' voice as her launch night entrance facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
It’s her religion and that’s what her religion believes. All religions truly don’t agree with homosexuality but that wouldn’t stop you befriending a Christian, Muslim or Jew would it?
She converted to Catholicism quite late in life I think... because it was more in line with her views.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Old 30-01-2018, 05:43 PM #117
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I'd imagine he researched everybody as he is from abroad.

You think Amanda or Wayne lived under a rock all their lives? Ann has been a prominent public figure for decades.
Do you think Malika or G researched anyone, they are from abroad too, he is just a little too desperate, and it goes against the whole premise of the show, with regard to Amanda and Wayne, could you tell me everything they did in their lifetime as you seem to expect them to know every detail of Ann Ws, I would hazard a guess nobody on here knew much about her voting record either as there wasn't a peep about it during her time in Strictly

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 30-01-2018, 05:47 PM #118
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Tbh, since when researching before you go on a long tv programme where you're forced to live with strangers is something to be ashamed of?
Wouldn't you if you could?
I think most of them do, Shane mentioned it as a matter of course.
Old 30-01-2018, 05:50 PM #119
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
In your first paragraph, it was a comparison.

The fact you negated it later did not remove why you compared them in the first place, the inference had been made.

No personal comments please
No, it wasn't. I'm not going to discuss rhetorical devices with you here.
Old 30-01-2018, 05:52 PM #120
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Tbh, since when researching before you go on a long tv programme where you're forced to live with strangers is something to be ashamed of?
Wouldn't you if you could?
I think most of them do, Shane mentioned it as a matter of course.
I never said it was something to be ashamed of, it shows a level of pre planning on his part, rather than using the time in the house to learn about his fellow HMs with no preconceptions, what else do they have to do in there all day every day, and anyway they are allegedly not meant to know who is going in with them apart from those rumoured,

Old 30-01-2018, 06:00 PM #121

Quote:
No, it wasn't. I'm not going to discuss rhetorical devices with you here.
That's OK, I understand why you wouldn't
Old 30-01-2018, 06:14 PM #122
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

That is an awful track record.
Old 30-01-2018, 06:16 PM #123
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I never said it was something to be ashamed of, it shows a level of pre planning on his part, rather than using the time in the house to learn about his fellow HMs with no preconceptions, what else do they have to do in there all day every day, and anyway they are allegedly not meant to know who is going in with them apart from those rumoured,
I see your point.
I suppose it takes all sorts, some people want to know as much as they can to prepare themselves, others prefer to go with the flow.
Don't they say that roughly we fall into two personality types, organized and spontaneous, a and b, or something like that? Maybe that's where it comes from

My point was that to me it seems natural to get all info you can. For example, I can never understand whenever a HM says that they never even watched the programme.
Old 30-01-2018, 06:21 PM #124

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
That is an awful track record.
Not so drastic as painted though.....18yrs voted what could be described as 4 times against gay rights......
Old 30-01-2018, 06:23 PM #125
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
That's OK, I understand why you wouldn't
good we have some understanding. Let's agree not to probe each other's knowledge coz it may get embarrassing.

let's be adults and discuss issues and not get personal
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ann, interesting, tweet, widdecombe