Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 19-02-2018, 01:01 PM #1
Banned

Favourites (more):
CBB21: India Willoughby
CBBUSA: Omarosa Manigault
Banned

Favourites (more):
CBB21: India Willoughby
CBBUSA: Omarosa Manigault
Default ‘If everyone’s super, nobody is’

Was rewatching incredibles to get be hyped for the second one and damn dis movie woke. I also like ‘we’re inventing new ways to celebrating mediocrity’.

What are your opinions on this ‘participation reward’ culture a lot of schools and parts of society in general are pushing? Do you think it’s a good idea to make everyone feel special, or do you feel this sort of behaviour makes people feel entitled later on in life? Do you think it’s fair people with genuine talents and attributes aren’t praised as much to prevent those without from feeling bad? Or do you think this is an elitist way of looking at things? Personally I feel this kinda egalitarian way of thinking might seem good initially but ends up being bad for everyone involved later in life. Those who work hard and have things to offer end up feeling under appreciated and spiteful. Those with nothing to offer adopt a sense of entitlement.
Marches is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 01:14 PM #2
-

-

The main problem in my opinion is that no one is allowed to be clearly better than anyone else at anything. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, but no one is allowed to point out their own (or other people's) strengths for fear of highlighting that it's a weakness for someone else. Like you can't say "Sue is brilliant at maths!" in a school setting any more... because it might upset Betty who isn't good at maths. But then you can't point out that Betty is the best in the class at writing stories, because poor Sue shouldn't feel inferior. So this culture of "everyone is doing their best and no one is any better than anyone else!" has arisen... which actually doesn't make anyone feel particularly good. It also allows people to not actually bother doing their best... because so long as they can convincingly claim that they are, "it's all good".
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 01:17 PM #3
haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

haunted

Favourites (more):

oooo interesting

Spoiler:

montblanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 01:24 PM #4
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

There should be tasks which play to everyone's strengths, rather than rewarding everyone for one task.

Meritocracies all the way.

Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 01:26 PM #5

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Wouldn’t do for us all to be the same.
I would much prefer it if every child knows they are valued, whatever they are capable of doing, and that the fact that some may excel in stuff doesn’t make them a better person than them.
Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition either, not everyone in a race etc can come in at the top, that’s life.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 01:41 PM #6
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I don't understand the concept of 'mediocrity' nobody is mediocre. some are more adept at things than others that is not a gauge of worthyness as a person.
Of course those who are suited or educated enough get roles requiring specific attributes, that's not to say there aren't roles out there for those with non specific talents.

Nobody need feel entitled or undervalued, should you excel great if that isn't possible that is also great.
Old 19-02-2018, 01:47 PM #7
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
There should be tasks which play to everyone's strengths, rather than rewarding everyone for one task.

Meritocracies all the way.
exactly

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 06:05 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marches View Post
Was rewatching incredibles to get be hyped for the second one and damn dis movie woke. I also like ‘we’re inventing new ways to celebrating mediocrity’.

What are your opinions on this ‘participation reward’ culture a lot of schools and parts of society in general are pushing? Do you think it’s a good idea to make everyone feel special, or do you feel this sort of behaviour makes people feel entitled later on in life? Do you think it’s fair people with genuine talents and attributes aren’t praised as much to prevent those without from feeling bad? Or do you think this is an elitist way of looking at things? Personally I feel this kinda egalitarian way of thinking might seem good initially but ends up being bad for everyone involved later in life. Those who work hard and have things to offer end up feeling under appreciated and spiteful. Those with nothing to offer adopt a sense of entitlement.
Absolutely. Children should be encouraged to excel and taught that effort/success is rewarded otherwise when they enter the real world they won't be prepared for it, some children might get their feelings hurt by failing but then that's something they can also learn from and will help them prepare for the real world too, the ability to deal with failure is essential. And also you end up finding out what you're good at by failing at the things you aren't and then focusing your efforts elsewhere. If someone is taught they're great at sports when they aren't they may not go on to explore something else such as arts/science/music etc where they might have a talent. Likewise somebody who is talented at sports might not feel as encouraged to pursue their talent if they aren't really recognised for it. All children can still be made to feel special though and be celebrated for who they are as people.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 06:10 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I don't understand the concept of 'mediocrity' nobody is mediocre. some are more adept at things than others that is not a gauge of worthyness as a person.
Of course those who are suited or educated enough get roles requiring specific attributes, that's not to say there aren't roles out there for those with non specific talents.

Nobody need feel entitled or undervalued, should you excel great if that isn't possible that is also great.
Well, tbf, if someone is mediocre in academia it doesn't mean they're a mediocre person. It's just describing their ability in academic subjects.

Last edited by Marsh.; 19-02-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 06:21 PM #10
haunted

Favourites (more):

haunted

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
Absolutely. Children should be encouraged to excel and taught that effort/success is rewarded otherwise when they enter the real world they won't be prepared for it, some children might get their feelings hurt by failing but then that's something they can also learn from and will help them prepare for the real world too, the ability to deal with failure is essential. And also you end up finding out what you're good at by failing at the things you aren't and then focusing your efforts elsewhere. If someone is taught they're great at sports when they aren't they may not go on to explore something else such as arts/science/music etc where they might have a talent. Likewise somebody who is talented at sports might not feel as encouraged to pursue their talent if they aren't really recognised for it. All children can still be made to feel special though and be celebrated for who they are as people.
this is honestly so beautiful

Spoiler:

montblanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 06:24 PM #11
0_o

0_o

I don't really agree with everyone being praised no matter how good/bad they are. yeah if you get a kid thats average or below average at everything they may not get anything, but sorry thats the way the world works..people should get rewards for being better than others IMO

But the main thing I disagree with in schools is 'attendance awards'. Its punishing kids for being ill, and encouraging parents to send their child into school ill also, to spread whatever to the other children. There was a kid in my daughters school who recently got awarded a free cinema trip and an award for not having a day off school in 6 years. But, this kid had been sent into school with vomiting bugs and all sorts..been sent home on an afternoon after puking in the middle of class, and then sent back the very next day (when they are meant to be off for 48 hours) and at the same time, other kids started going down with this bug. I suspect it was because of the ****ty parenting involved in a child being ill. Yet, this was praised?! The other children who stayed off, as you are supposed to, were penalized for doing the right thing. Attendance awards seriously annoy me
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 19-02-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 08:01 PM #12

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Well my teachers always told me i was special
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 08:33 PM #13
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Well, tbf, if someone is mediocre in academia it doesn't mean they're a mediocre person. It's just describing their ability in academic subjects.
I didn't say they were did I? You have misunderstood what I said obviously seeing as I said I didn't believe in mediocrity.

The non specific talents are the non academic qualities.
Old 19-02-2018, 09:56 PM #14
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

I don't think we have much of a functioning culture atm, truly, so anything goes right now Do your worst (or best in this case!). At most, we're running off of fumes of the past until we can all agree on what is a level playing field for all... seems every small thing now is sensationalized and becomes a talking point.

As for the OP, it should be common sense (who says that?) that we don't lie to people or to ourselves, or to society. That doesn't mean don't be encouraging?

Empathy and compassion are great qualities to aspire to, but it needs to be built on top of humility to be a solid foundation. If it's turning kids into narcissistic/oversensitive/neurotic little sh*ts, then we're going about it the wrong way...

Last edited by Maru; 19-02-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 12:20 AM #15
Sod orf

Sod orf

I blame Eastenders heart-throb Nick Berry for this culture change

Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
everyone’s, is’, super, ‘if