Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:09 AM #51
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
You don't get the show at all if you think the origin of the zombie apocalypse is more important than the characters and their relationships to one another.

To quote the creator "it's not important to the story".

The zombie apocalypse is the setting, the playground for the stories.

In fact, how many times has the "omg virus we need to find a cure" been done? Cliche is an understatement.
Cliche or not it's a Zombie story so it has to follow certain things just like any other story has to, in fact the only people that would accept Lori as being in any shape or form as being relevant to the show are more than likely not normally fans of the genre.

And as I've said the creator has basically used the Zombies as a gimmick to try and get people to tune into the show, because let's face it what is the point of the Zombies in the show then if the most important stuff in the show is relationships and friendships? If the writer wanted to make that type of show then don't put Zombies in the programme, otherwise characters like Lori are a waste of time as they don't fit into the certain tropes that comes with the genre and is a necessity for the genre to follow.

Basically if it's a Zombie show then the dynamics take a back burner to trying to find out what caused the outbreak, and if it's a Drama/Soap Opera then the writer should've made an entirely different show instead of pretending that it was a Zombie show.

Out with extreme Politics on both sides of the divide.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:11 AM #52

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Plus shows that follow their friendships/relationships is possibly more cliched at this point than a Zombie outbreak.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:16 AM #53

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
That's like saying Eastenders is nothing but a gimmick because they haven't explained the origins of Albert Square.

They don't need to. It's the setting, the fictional universe within which the stories play out.
EastEnders isn't claiming to have mysteries surrounding Albert Square though, it is what it is which is a Soap Opera where relationships, friendships, and rivalries occur, and affairs/other types of scandals, I'm no fan of the show but it is following it's genre to a tea.

However EastEnders would be doing a bad job if Zombies started turning up and the characters had to try and stop them (which whether the you like it or not) that is what TWD is about as realistically the show can't honestly believe that these people are gonna survive for much longer if they honestly don't put a stop to the Zombies? And also as I said the show is very one note if all it is about is moving from one place to the next, that isn't even a plot it's just changing location for more of the same Lori-esque stuff that doesn't fit in with what the audience was promised in season 1, or with any other Zombie story that's ever been made which it does have to follow those tropes to an extent.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:02 AM #54

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I think that this review off IMDB summons up alot of the issues with TWD.

"They've lost me, the producers have lost me. How many times can they recycle the same plot? This is no longer humanity vs zombies, this is humans vs humans with a unnecessary dose of violence and twisted psyche, all for the sake of maintaining ratings and milking the cash cow. The writers creativity have been depleted for a few seasons now, there has been no direction, no gradual learning, no story development. All the physical moving around is just the illusion of story to mask the fact that there isn't a story being told at all. The show isn't going anywhere. I have stopped watching, and I feel liberated from this burden of a show. TWD has slowly decomposed into a gross, unintelligent TV show. Who keeps making gas, electricity... but then there's no radio communication... What happened to the military, the government, smart people, common sense... I understand the appeal for certain demographics, but I, for once, demand more from entertainment than this garbage, good bye!!!"

There's nothing wrong with being slow paced, but there does still need to be a story going on that the fans will accept being in the programme.

And they make a good point about how the Military, The Government, and the Scientists have all disappeared and has been substituted for pointless violence, and characters relationships.

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 08-03-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:24 AM #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
EastEnders isn't claiming to have mysteries surrounding Albert Square though, it is what it is which is a Soap Opera where relationships, friendships, and rivalries occur, and affairs/other types of scandals, I'm no fan of the show but it is following it's genre to a tea.
What? You mean, except when it does have mysteries?

That's not the point Mock. We're talking about these shows/stories having a setting/background. That background is largely irrelevant and just the stage for the characters and stories.

Quote:
However EastEnders would be doing a bad job if Zombies started turning up and the characters had to try and stop them (which whether the you like it or not) that is what TWD is about as realistically the show can't honestly believe that these people are gonna survive for much longer if they honestly don't put a stop to the Zombies? And also as I said the show is very one note if all it is about is moving from one place to the next, that isn't even a plot it's just changing location for more of the same Lori-esque stuff that doesn't fit in with what the audience was promised in season 1, or with any other Zombie story that's ever been made which it does have to follow those tropes to an extent.
"Realistically" this small group of people are not going to discover the cause and find a cure neither.

The show is about a group of survivors struggling to cope in a zombie apocalypse. The show has never changed from this premise.

No, it doesn't have to follow tropes from other zombie stories. What a ridiculous comment. There's no point in it existing, if it has to do everything that's already been done because Mock wants it to.

You're talking as though they're moving location for the sake of it... uh, hello... zombies.

Wanting Daryl or whoever else to suddenly develop the skills to produce a zombie cure is laughable. It's not what the show is about.

Last edited by Marsh.; 08-03-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:27 AM #56

Quote:
Plus shows that follow their friendships/relationships is possibly more cliched at this point than a Zombie outbreak.
It has to follow them or there's no story beyond a 90 minute movie. You might as well just have one character on their own in that case.

Last edited by Marsh.; 08-03-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:19 AM #57
Namaste

Namaste

Quote:
Cliche or not it's a Zombie story so it has to follow certain things just like any other story has to, in fact the only people that would accept Lori as being in any shape or form as being relevant to the show are more than likely not normally fans of the genre.
Oh the old "if you don't agree with me you're not a real fan" argument. I've been a fan of the zombie genre for years and I think the idea of Lori being irrelevant is ridiculous. I don't watch it but I think Z Nation sounds more like what you're looking for.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:47 PM #58

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
What? You mean, except when it does have mysteries?

That's not the point Mock. We're talking about these shows/stories having a setting/background. That background is largely irrelevant and just the stage for the characters and stories.

"Realistically" this small group of people are not going to discover the cause and find a cure neither.

The show is about a group of survivors struggling to cope in a zombie apocalypse. The show has never changed from this premise.

No, it doesn't have to follow tropes from other zombie stories. What a ridiculous comment. There's no point in it existing, if it has to do everything that's already been done because Mock wants it to.

You're talking as though they're moving location for the sake of it... uh, hello... zombies.

Wanting Daryl or whoever else to suddenly develop the skills to produce a zombie cure is laughable. It's not what the show is about.
Individual characters will have mysteries (like most shows do tbf) but none of it is about Albert Square itself on any episode that I've ever seen of the show.

I think the biggest thing that the show should be having happen is for groups to be bumping into Scientists, Military Officers, and just characters wanting to put a stop to the madness rather than all of them wanting to kill each other.

I mean these posts make it sound like I hate the show (I honestly don't) I just do feel that the show has written itself in a way where either the Zombies are pointless in the show, or the Lori type characters are pointless in the show as Zombie stories and Soap Opera stories don't naturally mesh with one another as the stories are nothing alike.

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 08-03-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:54 PM #59

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostie! View Post
Oh the old "if you don't agree with me you're not a real fan" argument. I've been a fan of the zombie genre for years and I think the idea of Lori being irrelevant is ridiculous. I don't watch it but I think Z Nation sounds more like what you're looking for.
I have actually heard that Z Nation is meant to be more entertaining tbf.

And let's be honest Lostie how many Zombie stories have had Lori type of characters? And I want an honest answer here and not some sarcastic post that seems to be going on at the moment on this thread with digs at Z Nation which from what I'm gathering has always promised to be more like a Parody rather than a Drama.

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 08-03-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:58 PM #60
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Oh she was terrible last season, as was Jon Snow, but tbf I feel that they both have their own parts to play in the story.
Davos though, ''this is jon snow................. he's king in the north''

so funny

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:59 PM #61

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I'm sorry if I've upset any fans of TWD, but I'm just stating issues that I think alot of people have had with the show that I think has lost the show alot of ratings.

Tbf I don't think that Lori is the only pointless character the show has ever had, I mean if it weren't for the fact that he is playing the villain role, Negan would be completely out of place in a show like TWD.

Out of interest as fans of the show Marsh and Lostie, what do you both think has caused the show to lose so many viewers in such a short space of time if you don't think that my issues are the reason for the negative response towards the show?

Old 08-03-2018, 01:03 PM #62
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I'm sorry if I've upset any fans of TWD, but I'm just stating issues that I think alot of people have had with the show that I think has lost the show alot of ratings.

Tbf I don't think that Lori is the only pointless character the show has ever had, I mean if it weren't for the fact that he is playing the villain role, Negan would be completely out of place in a show like TWD.

Out of interest as fans of the show Marsh and Lostie, what do you both think has caused the show to lose so many viewers in such a short space of time if you don't think that my issues are the reason for the negative response towards the show?
what, don't say bad things about someone with a deadly baseball bat, that's a ballsy but dumb decision to do

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:06 PM #63
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:

tbf though the show was extremely popular when Lori was in it and was one of the main driving forces of the storyline

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:07 PM #64

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
Davos though, ''this is jon snow................. he's king in the north''

so funny
I do like Davos as a character, but that actor was actually one of the redeeming factors about Outcasts imo.

If you don't know what the show is Nicky, it was a British show that aired on the BBC that did only one season, the genres were Sci-Fi, and Drama, I've told you just in case you like the sound of it.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:08 PM #65

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
tbf though the show was extremely popular when Lori was in it and was one of the main driving forces of the storyline
Ratings shot up as soon as she was killed though.

I honestly think that the show's creators, the channel with it's trailers, the Comic Book fans, and the normal TV Show fans all have their own ideas of what the show is supposed to be, and I can't help but feel that's what hurting the show's quality as the creators/the channel want the Drama/Soapy bits. The TV Show fans on average seem to love the action meets Drama/Soap elements. The Comic Books fans seem to want it to be more gory and more Drama driven, with also more focus on the Zombies and better writing for Rick (the Rick stuff really is true with the Comic fans when I've heard them speak) so I think the show then is looking like a mess because they're having to incorporate all of these different things into the show and they don't all naturally gel with each other, and the show seems to be half hazard at pulling certain things off.

Personally aswell I do feel that they need to stop turning alot of the female characters into Stepford Wives, they're never gonna be able to carry an episode in this type of show if that's all their role is suppose to be.

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 08-03-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:10 PM #66
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Ratings shot up as soon as she was killed though.
Ratings went up because people liked Seasons 1 & 2, people didn't just say oh hate Lori so I'm going to stop watching until she dies

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 08-03-2018, 01:25 PM #67

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Ratings went up because people liked Seasons 1 & 2, people didn't just say oh hate Lori so I'm going to stop watching until she dies
I've just checked on Wikipedia and the ratings didn't go up quite as big as I thought it did after she died, I do know that Shane's death saw the show jump up 2 million viewers afterwards.

I personally do think that alot of people was fed up of how the show doesn't seem to have a structured storyline, and I do think that characters like Lori, Negan, Sasha, and controversially Daryl do not help matters when they're either not heavily involved in the plot (Daryl, Sasha, and Lori) or they just don't seem to have enough dynamics with the cast to sustain themselves (Sasha in particular fell into this trap quite brutally imo, as did Lori who just was only there for Rick and Shane) I'm not saying that I'm speaking for everyone, but these were noticeable mistakes to me, and I bet in particular with the Lori and Negan storylines that alot of people just didn't check the show out past season 1 because of Lori, or quit the show in season 7 because of Negan. I also personally think that the Alexandria stuff was quite pointless too as there was no proper threat in Alexandria and the show had to force danger onto the group I felt.

As I've said though I'm interested to read what alot of the fans think is the issue as to why TWD has lost around 8 million viewers in the last two seasons.

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 08-03-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:29 PM #68
Namaste

Namaste

Quote:
I have actually heard that Z Nation is meant to be more entertaining tbf.

And let's be honest Lostie how many Zombie stories have had Lori type of characters? And I want an honest answer here and not some sarcastic post that seems to be going on at the moment on this thread with digs at Z Nation which from what I'm gathering has always promised to be more like a Parody rather than a Drama.
I wasn't making a "dig" at Z Nation, I was saying (without a shred of sarcasm) that it sounds more like the type of zombie show that you want.

I'm not sure how "other zombie stories don't have Lori types" makes her irrelevant to The Walking Dead. That literally makes no logical sense. The Walking Dead has always been about more than just zombies, that's just the backdrop against which the stories take place and it sounds like that's your problem. Well it never "promised" anything else because the focus on character drama (including the Lori story) are from the source material. Lori's importance to the show is a matter of fact, what's subjective is whether you like her or not.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:36 PM #69

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I wasn't making a "dig" at Z Nation, I was saying (without a shred of sarcasm) that it sounds more like the type of zombie show that you want.

I'm not sure how "other zombie stories don't have Lori types" makes her irrelevant to The Walking Dead. That literally makes no logical sense. The Walking Dead has always been about more than just zombies, that's just the backdrop against which the stories take place and it sounds like that's your problem. Well it never "promised" anything else because the focus on character drama (including the Lori story) are from the source material. Lori's importance to the show is a matter of fact, what's subjective is whether you like her or not.
Fair enough then I must have caught the wrong end of the stick with your post then, I apologise.

I just think that when you call yourself The Walking Dead, your whole pilot is about surviving against the Zombie outbreak, and the trailers are all about Rick and his group fighting Zombies, it is kind of expected then that the Lori type characters shouldn't really be getting so much screentime as they conveniently leave those types of characters off the trailers.

Btw I'm not even saying that The Walking Dead shouldn't have Drama, it's the Soap Opera elements that are not needed for a show like this which is all Lori gave, I mean think about it did Lori have much screentime with anybody but Rick or Shane?

Old 08-03-2018, 02:06 PM #70
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I've just checked on Wikipedia and the ratings didn't go up quite as big as I thought it did after she died, I do know that Shane's death saw the show jump up 2 million viewers afterwards.

I personally do think that alot of people was fed up of how the show doesn't seem to have a structured storyline, and I do think that characters like Lori, Negan, Sasha, and controversially Daryl do not help matters when they're either not heavily involved in the plot (Daryl, Sasha, and Lori) or they just don't seem to have enough dynamics with the cast to sustain themselves (Sasha in particular fell into this trap quite brutally imo, as did Lori who just was only there for Rick and Shane) I'm not saying that I'm speaking for everyone, but these were noticeable mistakes to me, and I bet in particular with the Lori and Negan storylines that alot of people just didn't check the show out past season 1 because of Lori, or quit the show in season 7 because of Negan. I also personally think that the Alexandria stuff was quite pointless too as there was no proper threat in Alexandria and the show had to force danger onto the group I felt.

As I've said though I'm interested to read what alot of the fans think is the issue as to why TWD has lost around 8 million viewers in the last two seasons.
Ratings went up because people started watching as the show started getting popular so everyone who according to ratings only started watching in Seasons 3 or 4 obviously would have watched the first two online or somewhere first, like I did.

I really disagree with everything you say about Lori and her storyline (as much as I disliked her) She didn't just have a dynamic with Rick and Shane btw, there's a dislike between her and Andrea and also her relationship with Carl. But look it sounds to me as if you're just disappointed that the show doesn't focus on what you want it to focus on and that your needs aren't being met, that doesn't make a character pointless in general, just to you

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-03-2018, 04:45 PM #71

Quote:
Individual characters will have mysteries (like most shows do tbf) but none of it is about Albert Square itself on any episode that I've ever seen of the show.

I think the biggest thing that the show should be having happen is for groups to be bumping into Scientists, Military Officers, and just characters wanting to put a stop to the madness rather than all of them wanting to kill each other.

I mean these posts make it sound like I hate the show (I honestly don't) I just do feel that the show has written itself in a way where either the Zombies are pointless in the show, or the Lori type characters are pointless in the show as Zombie stories and Soap Opera stories don't naturally mesh with one another as the stories are nothing alike.
What if the scientists and military officers are all dead? Maybe the bleak reality of the story is that by the end the entire population/world will die?
Old 08-03-2018, 04:48 PM #72

Quote:
The Walking Dead has always been about more than just zombies, that's just the backdrop against which the stories take place
Old 08-03-2018, 10:09 PM #73
-

-

To be fair, it makes literally zero sense that a small town sheriff and his rag-tag group of plucky normal people have survived this long, and The Kingdom with a zookeeper leader and again normal followers... And Negan and Co... And the trash yard kids... Have all survived and become expert zombie killers...

... And yet they haven't encountered ONE military group? Who would all be trained in survival tactics and armed to the teeth from the start. Or, say, a SWAT unit and their families for similar reasons. Basically, if multiple groups of mostly UNtrained people have survived, how are there no organised groups of trained individuals. Hmmm.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:35 PM #74

Because the outbreak started at a military base and they are to blame, they were turned first.

SOLVED. Bravo TS! Bravo!

Last edited by Marsh.; 08-03-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:34 AM #75

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Ratings went up because people started watching as the show started getting popular so everyone who according to ratings only started watching in Seasons 3 or 4 obviously would have watched the first two online or somewhere first, like I did.

I really disagree with everything you say about Lori and her storyline (as much as I disliked her) She didn't just have a dynamic with Rick and Shane btw, there's a dislike between her and Andrea and also her relationship with Carl. But look it sounds to me as if you're just disappointed that the show doesn't focus on what you want it to focus on and that your needs aren't being met, that doesn't make a character pointless in general, just to you
BIB, again I hardly saw her interact with Carl, in those first two seasons I saw Carl mainly hanging around Rick and Shane, Lori was hardly developed with Carl in my view which always looked strange to me considering she was supposed to have been his Mother.

And the Andrea scene (which is all it was if I remember correctly) was in season 2 which I said I do think tried a bit harder to make her relevant in the dynamics, but the show just never seemed to have the confidence to let her be her own character for the whole hog.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
10, characters, pointless, tv