Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:58 AM #1
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Default The NYPD Is Ready to Arrest Harvey Weinstein.

The NYPD Is Ready to Arrest Harvey Weinstein.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-ny...ee-to-let-them

Quote:
The NYPD Is Ready to Arrest Harvey Weinstein. Will District Attorney Cy Vance Finally Agree to Let It?

The NYPD is prepared to collar Harvey Weinstein for felony sexual assault, a police official with direct knowledge of the case told The Daily Beast.

“We’re ready to go with an arrest,” the official said yesterday afternoon.

The NYPD is awaiting only a nod from Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance.

Earlier in the day, Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce was asked during a wide ranging press availability about the investigation into sexual assault allegations against Weinstein. Boyce replied that the detectives are still gathering evidence in the case and, “It is going very, very well.”

Boyce then suggested that questions regarding the next step would be best addressed to Vance.

“I would ask you to ask him,” Boyce said.

The Daily Beast did ask.

“We will decline,” a Vance spokesman said when asked for comment.

According to police sources, the NYPD has been investigating five separate sexual assault allegations against Weinstein. One case is said to be particularly strong.

The NYPD does not name sex crime victims, but the victim in this instance has spoken for publication about the alleged assault.

As she recounted in a 2017 New Yorker article by Ronan Farrow, Lucia Evans was a college student interested in an acting career when she met Weinstein at the Cipriani Upstairs nightspot in the summer of 2004. Weinstein offered her professional guidance and she imagined that was his intention she arrived at his office for a daytime meeting.

As Evans subsequently recounted to Farrow and to detectives from the NYPD’s Special Victims Unit, Weinstein made his real purpose clear when he forced her to perform oral sex.

“I said, over and over, ‘I don’t want to do this, stop, don’t,’” she told Farrow. “He’s a big guy. He overpowered me.”

The SVU has also been speaking to actress Paz de la Huerta, who told Vanity Fair that Weinstein threw her down on a bed and raped her in 2010. Detectives found both women believable. The Evans case is apparently the stronger of the two.

The other three cases involving Weinstein are said to be still developing.

In the case involving Evans, one hurdle the SVU detectives reportedly faced was a reluctance on her part to deal with Vance’s office.

One reason for Evans’ hesitation may have been Vance’s failure to authorize the SVU to arrest Weinstein for groping Ambra Battilana Gutierrez in 2015. Vance’s office declined—and left that victim all the more vulnerable to be smeared by the press—even though Gutierrez had immediately reported the incident and had subsequently recorded Weinstein making what amounted to a confession.

“I won’t do it again,” Weinstein can be heard telling Battilana, implicitly admitting he had done it to her before.

In defending the decision not to prosecute, Chief Assistant DA Karen Friedman Agnifilo actually sought to blame the detectives, saying that before making the recording they should have first consulted with the “seasoned prosecutors” in her office.

“While the recording is horrifying to listen to, what emerged from the audio was insufficient to prove a crime under New York law, which requires prosecutors to establish criminal intent,” Agnifilo said.

Weinstein’s lawyers had reportedly insisted to the prosecutors that he had touched her breasts only to evaluate her as a possible lingerie model. He would have had a harder time explaining why he had reached under her skirt without criminal intent.

“She was going to play the part of a gynecological patient in a movie?” a police official joked.

Another police official noted that the Manhattan DA routinely prosecutes subway gropers on far less evidence.

“But they’re not Harvey Weinstein,” the other official noted.

A Weinstein victim is liable to be all the more leery of going to the Manhattan DA since the mogul retained defense attorney Ben Brafman, whose law partners include Marc Agnifilo. He is the husband of Karen Friedman Agnifilo, who is said to have recused herself from any further involvement in anything Weinstein.

Evans eventually agreed to meet with the DA’s office after the SVU detectives offered to accompany her and remain while she was interviewed. She is said to have been as convincing with the prosecutors and she had been with the detectives.

Evans, who has since married and moved on to interests unrelated to acting, seems to be as determined as the detectives are to follow through in the Weinstein case.

She told The New Yorker: “I tried to get away, but maybe I didn’t try hard enough. I didn’t want to kick him or fight him… I just sort of gave up. That’s the most horrible part of it, and that’s why he’s been able to do this for so long to so many women: people give up, and then they feel like it’s their fault.”

She also recalled that Weinstein had seemed unconcerned about any possible consequences after the attack.

“It was like it was just another day for him,” she said. “It was no emotion.”

A decade later, Weinstein seems bound for a day of reckoning. The SVU detectives had a few final details to chase down in recent days, but now they are ready to make the collar in at least one case. They only need Vance to give the go-ahead.

According to several news accounts, Vance’s office has been looking into Weinstein’s finances, as regard to nondisclosure agreements with other accusers as well as in general. A number of people in his office had been subpoenaed to testify before a grand jury. The DA also hopes to subpoena Weinstein’s driver, though prosecutors were said at one point to be having difficulty locating him.

Meanwhile, the New York State Attorney General’s office has filed a civil suit against Weinstein’s company, charging it with “vicious and exploitative mistreatment” of employees., including “sexual harassment, intimidation, and other misconduct.”

At the same time, the district attorney out in Los Angeles is reportedly examining a total of five cases of sexual assault by Weinstein that the police have referred to it for possible prosecution.

But none of that precludes Vance from just going ahead and authorizing Weinstein's arrest in the Evans case. Weinstein is said to have stayed away from recent negotiations regarding the sale of his business because he feared he might be arrested if he came to New York.

He just might be if the detectives decide just to go ahead and make the collar with or without Vance’s approval.

And the result could be a long prison term.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:58 AM #2
In my nice era

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Tia Kofi
DOI 2020: Ben Hanlin

In my nice era

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Tia Kofi
DOI 2020: Ben Hanlin

Finally.
Barry. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:02 AM #3
haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

get ha!

Spoiler:

montblanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:07 AM #4

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane

Can they also get Matt Lauer in the process as well...?

Anyways, I'm happy justice is finally being served, he should have been in his jail cell months ago...
Eddie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:24 AM #5
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

i will believe it when i see it
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:31 AM #6

Yes Harvey sell your business, you'll need every penny you can get for those astronomical legal fees you are going to incur - won't keep you out of jail though ! and can't happen soon enough.

Last edited by hijaxers; 08-03-2018 at 06:31 AM.
hijaxers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:04 PM #7
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

He's undoubtedly a deplorable excuse of a man. However... what about the actresses who didn't mind selling their bodies for roles? Who used their looks and their bodies to beat other women to roles, maybe women with more acting talent but less inclination to shag someone like Weinstein? I mean, the "casting couch" has been a joke in the film industry ever since there's been a film industry. Haven't heard anything about the actresses who chose that route and are now living high on the hog because of it... but I'd be interested in other actresses naming names.

Last edited by Livia; 08-03-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:11 PM #8
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
He's undoubtedly a deplorable excuse of a man. However... what about the actresses who didn't mind selling their bodies for roles? Who used their looks and their bodies to beat other women, maybe with more acting talent but less to the best roles? I mean, the "casting couch" has been a joke in the film industry ever since there's been a film industry. Haven't heard anything about the actresses who chose that route and are now living high on the hog because of it... but I'd be interested in other actresses naming names.
The problem being is that it's a catch 22, I suppose alot of actresses would have felt like I either do this and get somewhere or just get passed over for the girl who will do it no matter if I was better for the role or not. It's abuse of power, pure and simple.

Look at this article from 1945 for example, she said no and was still successful but look what she suffered for not complying :

Irish Hollywood star Maureen O'Hara was ready to walk away from stardom over sustained sexual harassment in 1945, an interview unearthed from the period reveals.

In it, the movie icon said: "Because I don’t let the producer and director kiss me…or paw me, they have spread word around town that I am not a woman", adding they were instead saying she was as cold as a statue.

She acidly remarked: "I guess Hollywood won’t consider me as anything except a cold hunk of marble until I divorce my husband, give my baby away and get my name and photograph in all the newspapers.

"If that's Hollywood's idea of being a woman, I'm ready to quit now."

O'Hara, who died in 2015 when she was 95, was just 25 when she made the statement, and is being praised again now for having the courage and wit to issue so withering a put-down to those harassing her.

The 1945 Mirror article was shared by pianist James Rhodes on Twitter, who simply remarked: "What a woman.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...45-812956.html

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:17 PM #9
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

it will be quite the case of poetic justice if Harvey is made to "provide" sexual favours in prison
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:27 PM #10
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
it will be quite the case of poetic justice if Harvey is made to "provide" sexual favours in prison
No it will still be rape. It does amaze me somewhat that people think "an eye for an eye" justice is somehow OK when it comes to sexual assault.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:26 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
No it will still be rape. It does amaze me somewhat that people think "an eye for an eye" justice is somehow OK when it comes to sexual assault.
I doubt he'll be in the mood for 'penis swinging' very soon. Anyway it would take half a wing to nail that enormous git down.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:50 PM #12

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

So this innocent until proven guilty stuff dont count on here..come on comrades power to the people.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:01 PM #13
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
not at all
I'd imagine his sexual relations in prison will be consensual, like his sexual relations outside have been
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:21 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
not at all
I'd imagine his sexual relations in prison will be consensual, like his sexual relations outside have been
Old 08-03-2018, 05:34 PM #15

Quote:
He's undoubtedly a deplorable excuse of a man. However... what about the actresses who didn't mind selling their bodies for roles? Who used their looks and their bodies to beat other women to roles, maybe women with more acting talent but less inclination to shag someone like Weinstein? I mean, the "casting couch" has been a joke in the film industry ever since there's been a film industry. Haven't heard anything about the actresses who chose that route and are now living high on the hog because of it... but I'd be interested in other actresses naming names.
That's not a crime though. Morally, it's not very nice.

But it has nothing to do with the women he raped and assaulted against their will.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:05 PM #16
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
That's not a crime though. Morally, it's not very nice.

But it has nothing to do with the women he raped and assaulted against their will.
Hollywood casting couch/sex sells culture though has long enabled this behavior. It makes it very difficult for someone to report. It's a bit of a ponzi scheme in that sense, because if you're attractive, you'll get roles, but you're encouraged to push the envelope a little bit further each time to maintain and keep your career... It's far from the professionalism that they polish for the media... this has long been covered by many folk in interviews (especially if it's not broadcast media). Young men also fall prey to this culture.

That's why when Hollywood became the leader of the #metoo, a lot of people here scoffed... as if we're supposed to take seriously the industry that is literally oiled by those practices. I'd argue it's even had a bad effect on the women/men who watch their shows... because even in the shows you're told that you have to look and act a certain way to get the attention you desire.

It's quite sad, Marsh. I wish Hollywood will reform... a lot of young folk have traditionally looked up to the stars that come out of the industry as the American Dream. They may just be images and not really real people in that sense, of course... but I guess what people there say about the royals, our fascination is similar with Hollywood... it may tend to lead to decadence, but so does our culture and that needs to modernize as well... imagine if it were to change.

Quote:
For some reason, this guy you just met at a party has suddenly taken a liking to you. To him, you seem sharp and able to recognize a gold mine when you see it. He only offers this tip to his closest friends, but he's willing to make an exception for you. He says if you get in on this opportunity now, you'll be an early investor in the next big thing. Not only that, it's fail-safe and will return your investment in no time. If you're skeptical, why not ask your friends at the party -- they invested last month and have already seen returns. You do ask them, and it's true. So why not hand over a few thousand dollars before it's too late? Despite what your trustworthy friends say, it's better to walk away. This guy is probably selling a Ponzi scheme.
Ponzi Scheme
https://money.howstuffworks.com/ponzi-scheme.htm

Last edited by Maru; 08-03-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:58 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Hollywood casting couch/sex sells culture though has long enabled this behavior. It makes it very difficult for someone to report. It's a bit of a ponzi scheme in that sense, because if you're attractive, you'll get roles, but you're encouraged to push the envelope a little bit further each time to maintain and keep your career... It's far from the professionalism that they polish for the media... this has long been covered by many folk in interviews (especially if it's not broadcast media). Young men also fall prey to this culture.

That's why when Hollywood became the leader of the #metoo, a lot of people here scoffed... as if we're supposed to take seriously the industry that is literally oiled by those practices. I'd argue it's even had a bad effect on the women/men who watch their shows... because even in the shows you're told that you have to look and act a certain way to get the attention you desire.

It's quite sad, Marsh. I wish Hollywood will reform... a lot of young folk have traditionally looked up to the stars that come out of the industry as the American Dream. They may just be images and not really real people in that sense, of course... but I guess what people there say about the royals, our fascination is similar with Hollywood... it may tend to lead to decadence, but so does our culture and that needs to modernize as well... imagine if it were to change.

Ponzi Scheme
https://money.howstuffworks.com/ponzi-scheme.htm
Not really my point.

I was drawing a distinction between the girls going along with it and the girls who were forced (ie raped) hence his arrest.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:03 PM #18

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I dare any male using an android phone to admit to having a longer cock than that link in the op.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:29 AM #19
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Not really my point.

I was drawing a distinction between the girls going along with it and the girls who were forced (ie raped) hence his arrest.
Sure it wasn't your point, but I had a different takeaway from Livia's post. She makes a valid point. The rape culture couldn't be as prevalent in Hollywood without the "transactional" sex culture that also goes on within it. The other has to be addressed before I think the rape culture can be addressed and dealt with...
Old 09-03-2018, 02:36 AM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Sure it wasn't your point, but I had a different takeaway from Livia's post. She makes a valid point. The rape culture couldn't be as prevalent in Hollywood without the "transactional" sex culture that also goes on within it. The other has to be addressed before I think the rape culture can be addressed and dealt with...
People have used sex as a business exchange since the dawn of man.

It's no excuse for abuse and rape.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:47 AM #21
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but let's face it I don't think that any of us are gonna be angry if it was to happen are we?

KRO!
Mystic Mock is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:12 AM #22
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
People have used sex as a business exchange since the dawn of man.

It's no excuse for abuse and rape.
Yes, transactional sex happens in every industry. However, the Hollywood machine is oiled by sex. Whether it's in the movies or the business practices. It's not right for those young women or men who are abused, no excuse. I agree, that's why, imo, American culture should distance itself from Hollywood until it is significantly curtailed...the transactional sex will not stop on it's own as long as there is greed so the push back has to be external from those of us watching/buying the movies. Situations like the Harvey Weinstein sex crimes going unnoticed for so long were the camel that broke the back for some and just makes people all the more uncomfortable and disgusted by it. Not at all surprising given the culture and pushing of sex and sexual display as currency in that industry... but because we've been fooled by the "sexual empowerment"/"sexual liberation" cultural message, many people have bought into it without fully realizing the hypocrisy of the messengers they were supposedly supporting.

How can they also have drug fueled sex parties with top names where young boys are passed around as meat underneath the noses of pretty much everyone who has "bought in" to the industry. This is deemed acceptable, because for some people, this is "the price you pay", but it is not morally correct. And unfortunately, the same women who claim to be feminists are actually enablers often times (who also sometimes engage in consensual sex) because they practice the sex culture as a lifestyle, i.e. the ironic virtues of "sexual freedom" "sexual empowerment", etc... when in certain spaces all that does is enable an atmosphere with no real boundaries and contains no barriers to a system of abuse... that is immoral... chastity and decent behavior is discouraged and insecurities and vulnerabilities are instead exploited... because as they say, sex sells. None of it is right, and the people who enable it who are aware of the open secrets are not much better than the people who commit sexual assault themselves... they aided in this going unnoticed, hence all the women going on TV and apologizing despite knowing Harvey Weinstein was likely a predator (edit) and even when they knew it actually...

Last edited by Maru; 09-03-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:16 AM #23

The boys being "passed around" is part and parcel of the rape and abuse aspect which is now hopefully bring targeted for the elite criminal activity that it is. Along with any other time that naive young people are abused and taken advantage of.

However, the few who willingly will just throw themselves at someone for a help up the ladder has and will always happen all over the world and shouldn't be blurred to be the same as the actual crimes being committed.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:22 AM #24

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The boys being "passed around" is part and parcel of the rape and abuse aspect which is now hopefully bring targeted for the elite criminal activity that it is. Along with any other time that naive young people are abused and taken advantage of.

However, the few who willingly will just throw themselves at someone for a help up the ladder has and will always happen all over the world and shouldn't be blurred to be the same as the actual crimes being committed.
I agree with this, I don't like it personally, but there is a bigger priority here than someone having sex to get work.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:25 AM #25
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:

You bring up a valid point, but that's also why I say that our own culture needs to reject these values. Yes, those who engage in these practices, they are feeding into their own greed, absolutely. My issue is more the overall culture, the people who KNOW what is happening, what they are actually supporting (on the whole), but instead continue to feed into the machine, because me is me, and all I care about is me, myself and I... is there no moral expectation there?... shouldn't we as a public put some kind of block on this culture at least growing (edit)? This is bad, but this is why Hollywood is the way it is and to a large degree, it is also reflective of American culture. So in a way, yes, you're right, it's mirroring our culture. But Hollywood is particularly bad with it is because being oversexed is the standard. I only hope that it will at least be curtailed enough so that these abuses become far less common. But will transactional sex also be par for the course? Absolutely, it will always occur to some degree.. but I don't believe that the way it occurs in Hollywood is anywhere close to standard practice of other industries.

It's just a different viewpoint is all.

Last edited by Maru; 09-03-2018 at 03:26 AM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
arrest, harvey, nypd, ready, weinstein