Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 15-03-2018, 02:53 PM #76
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
From the age of 18 to 24 i used to sit freezing and hungry with barely enough money for heating and food...why?

Cause i was a lazy ****er to lazy to go to work, then to lazy to look for work..

Look at me now though, i have everything i need and want because i finally got if my arse and realised what lifes all about...now if i can get a good paying job with my past employment record then any able bodied person can...
I'm happy for you but what has this to do with the thread?
Old 15-03-2018, 02:54 PM #77

There are enough jobs for every able bodied person?
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 02:57 PM #78

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I'm happy for you but what has this to do with the thread?
Stuff was just the same for some then as it is now, maybe all these cold hungry poor souls need to take a leaf out of uncle parmys book and get off thier lazy arses and go where the work is...
Obvioysly not cold and hungry enough yet with the appeasment made for the idle by offering them foodbanks.

Last edited by parmnion; 15-03-2018 at 02:57 PM.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 03:28 PM #79
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
"could" being the operative word in that headline

and if it does, it does, will we starve, probably not

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 03:31 PM #80
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Local authorities and the underfunded special schools which don't have the staff to offer the children the one to one attention they desperately need. Who have one standing frame in the whole school when a lot of the kids require it's use for several hours a day.
kids need their own standing frames suited to their size and weight, the school I worked at had a standing frame per student that needed one, maybe its the management at the school that is at fault?

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 15-03-2018, 03:35 PM #81
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
"could" being the operative word in that headline

and if it does, it does, will we starve, probably not
The point o posting that was primarily to silence the mocking voices that are suggesting that basically I'm one sandwich short of a picnic to even suggest that there is a direct correlation between the economy today and that of the 1930s.

Yet here we have a very similar theme running through the economic forecasts of a popular newspaper...

Whether or not is says 'could''might' 'may' or whatever the theory is out there isn't it, I'm not the only person in the UK to suggest it?
Old 15-03-2018, 04:10 PM #82

Quote:
I came to London 20 years ago, I was poor I found it exciting tbh, and one thing about London if you want to work you will get a job.
I came to London twenty years ago as well. I walked straight into a job and so did my husband. We've done okay so I'm not going to complain about my personal circumstances.

Not everyone is as fortunate as us. If you have a qualification and you can earn more than the living wage; if you have enough money for a mortgage or a stable place to live and if you have a secure job, then London can be a fabulous place to live. If on the other hand you work a zero hour contract and can only afford to rent a grubby flat in Stockwell or Harlesden, then life in London isn't going to be easy or fun.

We can't say that because we did okay, everyone else has the same opportunity... they don't
Old 15-03-2018, 04:18 PM #83
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:

In economics, a depression is a sustained, long-term downturn in economic activity in one or more economies. It is a more severe economic downturn than a recession, which is a slowdown in economic activity over the course of a normal business cycle.

A depression is an unusual and extreme form of recession. Depressions are characterized by their length, by abnormally large increases in unemployment, falls in the availability of credit (often due to some form of banking or financial crisis), shrinking output as buyers dry up and suppliers cut back on production and investment, large number of bankruptcies including sovereign debt defaults, significantly reduced amounts of trade and commerce (especially international trade), as well as highly volatile relative currency value fluctuations (often due to currency devaluations). Price deflation, financial crises and bank failures are also common elements of a depression that do not normally occur during a recession.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depression_(economics)

Unemployment is decreasing, there is still plenty credit available, there are still plenty buyers. We are not seeing an abnormal number of bankruptcies, our government has not defaulted on any loans, we are still doing plenty of trade and commerce. Our currency is relatively stable. We have not seen any recent financial crisis, our banks are recovering nicely.

No, we are not in a depression or anything close to it
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 04:24 PM #84
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
I came to London twenty years ago as well. I walked straight into a job and so did my husband. We've done okay so I'm not going to complain about my personal circumstances.

Not everyone is as fortunate as us. If you have a qualification and you can earn more than the living wage; if you have enough money for a mortgage or a stable place to live and if you have a secure job, then London can be a fabulous place to live. If on the other hand you work a zero hour contract and can only afford to rent a grubby flat in Stockwell or Harlesden, then life in London isn't going to be easy or fun.

We can't say that because we did okay, everyone else has the same opportunity... they don't
With all due respect there are as many job opportunities in London now as there every were, there are still jobs where you work on a contract, you can get lots of government which wasn't available 20 years ago to buy a property, help to buy isa, shared ownership, etc, not every rented flat is grubby, yes things have changed and you might not be able to own your property outright to begin with, but eventually you will get there and you have to roll with the times and appreciate the positives, like low interest rates, alot of people will also benefit from inheritances which really didn't happen in the past. You say not every one is as fortunate is you, maybe not, but then maybe not everyone has the same aspirations or drive or desire to do okay... it takes all sorts and you can't pidgeon hole everyone into neat boxes

Last edited by Cherie; 15-03-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 15-03-2018, 04:29 PM #85
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
In economics, a depression is a sustained, long-term downturn in economic activity in one or more economies. It is a more severe economic downturn than a recession, which is a slowdown in economic activity over the course of a normal business cycle.

A depression is an unusual and extreme form of recession. Depressions are characterized by their length, by abnormally large increases in unemployment, falls in the availability of credit (often due to some form of banking or financial crisis), shrinking output as buyers dry up and suppliers cut back on production and investment, large number of bankruptcies including sovereign debt defaults, significantly reduced amounts of trade and commerce (especially international trade), as well as highly volatile relative currency value fluctuations (often due to currency devaluations). Price deflation, financial crises and bank failures are also common elements of a depression that do not normally occur during a recession.

Unemployment is decreasing, there is still plenty credit available, there are still plenty buyers. We are not seeing an abnormal number of bankruptcies, our government has not defaulted on any loans, we are still doing plenty of trade and commerce. Our currency is relatively stable. We have not seen any recent financial crisis, our banks are recovering nicely.

Totally agree ,but sadly that doesn't suit everyones agendas
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 04:36 PM #86

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

A lick of paint may help erradicate the grubbiness.

More DIY tips are available.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 04:39 PM #87
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

Have you heard of Carillion? or Brexit? You don't think they've affected investment or trade :/

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...nancial-crisis
Old 15-03-2018, 05:41 PM #88

Quote:
With all due respect there are as many job opportunities in London now as there every were, there are still jobs where you work on a contract, you can get lots of government which wasn't available 20 years ago to buy a property, help to buy isa, shared ownership, etc, not every rented flat is grubby, yes things have changed and you might not be able to own your property outright to begin with, but eventually you will get there and you have to roll with the times and appreciate the positives, like low interest rates, alot of people will also benefit from inheritances which really didn't happen in the past. You say not every one is as fortunate is you, maybe not, but then maybe not everyone has the same aspirations or drive or desire to do okay... it takes all sorts and you can't pidgeon hole everyone into neat boxes
You're presuming the entire population are well educated and can therefore climb the ladder to success. Fortunately London still need cleaners, shop assistants, care assistants and waitresses but most of those contracts aren't sallaried and even if they are, many contracts aren't the needed 40hpw but more like 22hpw. You can't independently survive on Ł7.83 ph in a job that isn't salaried or only gives you part time hours without having a second job or even a third job and even if you slog a 50 hour week, your earnings, after tax, are still going to be a poor mans wage. If your'e a single earner, you are hardly going to afford your rent, never mind get on the housing ladder.

Last edited by DemolitionRed; 15-03-2018 at 06:18 PM.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 05:53 PM #89
User banned

User banned

Quote:
You're pressuring the entire population are well educated and can therefore climb the ladder to success. Fortunately London still need cleaners, shop assistants, care assistants and waitresses but most of those contracts aren't sallaried and even if they are, many contracts aren't the needed 40hpw but more like 22hpw. You can't independently survive on Ł7.83 ph in a job that isn't salaried or only gives you part time hours without having a second job or even a third job and even if you slog a 50 hour week, your earnings, after tax, are still going to be a poor mans wage. If your'e a single earner, you are hardly going to afford your rent, never mind get on the housing ladder.
That’s why people get an education and skills is it not - to improve their lifestyles. Not everyone can have the same. The world never has and never will work like that.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 06:11 PM #90
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

Deleted a lot of posts in here. This is serious debates so let's keep the discussion on topic and serious
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 06:18 PM #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
That’s why people get an education and skills is it not - to improve their lifestyles. Not everyone can have the same. The world never has and never will work like that.
Yes. But he was highlighting why everybody can't do what Cherie did because not everybody gets into higher education either because they don't pass the exams or they can't afford it etc etc rather than them not climbing the ladder because they lack drive.

Not everyone is going to reach huge heights with a posh car and 4 holidays a year but people who do honest work 50 hours a week should at least be able to show something for it. In the current climate, they cant.

Last edited by Marsh.; 15-03-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 06:27 PM #92

Quote:
Anyone who works in a modern society, should be able to afford some level of comfort. That includes living accommodation, decent food and a way of paying the bills. There are many adults in the UK who can't afford to move out of their parents house.
Old 15-03-2018, 06:51 PM #93
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

As my husband would often say, "should" and "are" are two different things.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 08:01 PM #94

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

We definitely are not in a depression like those of the past and it's mind boggling that anyone would think that. We are very lucky to live somewhere there are opportunities and even for those is dire situations there is some help available. It just isn't the same situation at all.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 09:48 PM #95
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You're presuming the entire population are well educated and can therefore climb the ladder to success. Fortunately London still need cleaners, shop assistants, care assistants and waitresses but most of those contracts aren't sallaried and even if they are, many contracts aren't the needed 40hpw but more like 22hpw. You can't independently survive on Ł7.83 ph in a job that isn't salaried or only gives you part time hours without having a second job or even a third job and even if you slog a 50 hour week, your earnings, after tax, are still going to be a poor mans wage. If your'e a single earner, you are hardly going to afford your rent, never mind get on the housing ladder.
and you are presuming that no one without a third level education can be successful which has been proven over the years to be untrue, as long as you are astute and are prepared to work hard lack of formal education does not need to be a barrier to success.

Last edited by Cherie; 15-03-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 16-03-2018, 02:55 AM #96
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
And the country won't work without an 'unskilled' workforce, cleaners and such they are cogs in the machine like any other aren't they?

What's the point of a thousand solicitors or dentists when all you need is someone to make the bed in your hotel?

Unskilled work does not equal unnecessary work.
Old 16-03-2018, 02:56 AM #97
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
As my husband would often say, "should" and "are" are two different things.
Could you expand please?
Old 16-03-2018, 05:20 AM #98
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

what seems to be implied here is that everyone should be rewarded equally whether they work hard or not, whether they are skilled or not, which of course is communist nonesense
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 07:22 AM #99
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
what seems to be implied here is that everyone should be rewarded equally whether they work hard or not, whether they are skilled or not, which of course is communist nonesense
that is how I am reading it as well

Old 16-03-2018, 07:41 AM #100

Quote:
and you are presuming that no one without a third level education can be successful which has been proven over the years to be untrue, as long as you are astute and are prepared to work hard lack of formal education does not need to be a barrier to success.
No I'm not. But people have to be in the right place at the right time to be given opportunities. My husband has apprentices but they are carefully selected. They have to show a level of intelligence or he's wasting his time and theirs. He also has laborers. Guys he pays on a daily basis to come along and do the dirty work.
One of his laborers has now become his apprentice because he's committed, has an eye for detail and has a good head on his shoulders, this guy told me recently that he can't believe he's come this far because he always believed his working life would come to nothing. Lack of confidence and lack of the right contacts where you have the opportunity to prove yourself hold a lot of people back.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
depression, great