Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 26-03-2018, 06:49 PM #1
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Default Extreme right wing terrorism

Where is the media attention... Where's the outcry?

Another female MP was due to be murdered, who are these people and why can't the 22yr old involved be named?...

An alleged neo-Nazi has appeared in court charged with plotting to murder a Labour MP with a machete.

The 22-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been charged with preparing an act of terrorism by allegedly buying a “Gladius Machete” – a type of weapon used by Celtic tribes and Roman legions – for the purpose of murdering Rosie Cooper.

The defendant, from Lancashire, is also accused of making threats to kill a female police officer.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8274521.html
Old 26-03-2018, 06:51 PM #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
why can't the 22yr old involved be named?...
Because these are "alleged crimes"?
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 06:56 PM #3
Banned

Banned

Because it doesn't fit the image of terrorism that the media wants to portray. They want you to be scared of brown skin and head scarves and to be suspicious of muslims. They don't want a narrative of white right wing extremists targetting female members of the left because they're too busy pushing the anti-women narrative on the muslims.

No doubt that a lot of the media, if they cover this story at all will not describe this person as a terrorist but as a mentally disturbed individual, he probably doesn't have the right skin tone to call him a terrorist.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 06:59 PM #4
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Because these are "alleged crimes"?
I'm not responding to you if you can't even be bothered to read the article.

He has been charged and appeared in court alongside 5 other named men.
Old 26-03-2018, 07:02 PM #5

Quote:
In court "accused of alleged crimes".

Once found guilty, I'm all for plastering his name and face everywhere.

I detest this culture of vultures wanting names and shames rather than letting the justice system do their jobs first. It's incredibly damaging.

Quote:
I'm not responding to you
Then don't.

Last edited by Marsh.; 26-03-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 07:11 PM #6
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter
I'm a Celeb 2012: David Haye
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter
I'm a Celeb 2012: David Haye

Quote:
Where is the media attention... Where's the outcry?

Another female MP was due to be murdered, who are these people and why can't the 22yr old involved be named?...

An alleged neo-Nazi has appeared in court charged with plotting to murder a Labour MP with a machete.

The 22-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been charged with preparing an act of terrorism by allegedly buying a “Gladius Machete” – a type of weapon used by Celtic tribes and Roman legions – for the purpose of murdering Rosie Cooper.

The defendant, from Lancashire, is also accused of making threats to kill a female police officer.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8274521.html
it's odd how 5 can be named yet one can't, wonder what legal reason it is.

Me
Tozzie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 07:11 PM #7
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

My guess someone has paid for the privilege.
Old 26-03-2018, 07:17 PM #8

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

Quote:
I'm not responding to you if you can't even be bothered to read the article.

It seems a bit odd doesn't it? The only I can think of if the others have been named is perhaps he has some sort of mental condition that means he can't be treated the same as them like autism or something?

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 07:23 PM #9
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

I’m not sure if this is a controversial thing to say. But I think it all stems from just being stupid. It leads to frustration and anger, and which group is most welcoming of frustrated and angry people? Extreme right wing. They give them a place to direct their anger, and eventually, **** like this will happen.
Old 26-03-2018, 07:24 PM #10
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
It seems a bit odd doesn't it? The only I can think of if the others have been named is perhaps he has some sort of mental condition that means he can't be treated the same as them like autism or something?
People with autism have to face justice like everyone else.
Unless it is his mental age... but to be part of a sophisticated plot and purchase items such as those that seems unlikely :/
Old 26-03-2018, 07:26 PM #11
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

it says pretty clearly he can't be named for legal reasons, which could be any number of things. It's not like he is not going to be tried/sentenced. Any terrorism is wrong, whoever does it and its treated equally by the courts, no matter the colour of skin.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 07:27 PM #12

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
People with autism have to face justice like everyone else.
Unless it is his mental age... but to be part of a sophisticated plot and purchase items such as those that seems unlikely :/
Yeah what I meant was if he had severe autism, or some other mental issue there might be some doubt over him understanding the rights and wrongs and some grey area over being treated the same as adults he may have been with.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 07:32 PM #13
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
Yeah what I meant was if he had severe autism, or some other mental issue there might be some doubt over him understanding the rights and wrongs and some grey area over being treated the same as adults he may have been with.
Would he then be fit to stand trial?.. He is so you would think he could be named.
Old 26-03-2018, 07:34 PM #14

To be included in the same trial as the other defendants I would have thought he was mentally competent. I don't think I've seen a trial before where they name some but not all defendants. Seems odd.
Old 26-03-2018, 07:35 PM #15
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Because it doesn't fit the image of terrorism that the media wants to portray. They want you to be scared of brown skin and head scarves and to be suspicious of muslims. They don't want a narrative of white right wing extremists targetting female members of the left because they're too busy pushing the anti-women narrative on the muslims.

No doubt that a lot of the media, if they cover this story at all will not describe this person as a terrorist but as a mentally disturbed individual, he probably doesn't have the right skin tone to call him a terrorist.
See, I used to think it was about the media pushing an agenda and wanting to portray things a certain way... But I've more recently started to think, does the media really want anything other than to make money and sell as many copies as possible? Does the media not just go with what's popular?

So it's not that the media "wants to sell" an image of the brown-immigrant-monster-on-your-street... It's just that they know that that's what their readers want to hear. If they start veering away from the accepted narrative of their regular consumers, then people will spit their cornflakes and get their morning outrage elsewhere.

People don't want to hear that "Little James Born And Bred Known His Parents Since He Was A Nipper" has become a violent thug. That upsets their comfortable worldview. They want to hear that strange others from faraway places are the ones to fear.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 07:39 PM #16
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I agree.
Old 26-03-2018, 07:40 PM #17
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
I’m not sure if this is a controversial thing to say. But I think it all stems from just being stupid. It leads to frustration and anger, and which group is most welcoming of frustrated and angry people? Extreme right wing. They give them a place to direct their anger, and eventually, **** like this will happen.
I think I agree with that; it's sort of like football hooliganism. The violence and destruction of property happens simply because that's what they want to do. That's their reason for being there. The rest is just excuses and a convenient way to band into a cohesive group.

There was recently a far right rally in my local town that was "countered" by a far left group. Not many from either side actually turned up and it was pretty clear that NEITHER was actually involved in it for the politics... It was just an excuse to wave things about and shout at each other. I'd be very, very surprised if you could have picked any one of them out of the crowd and had them discuss political philosophy with any degree of conviction.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 07:55 PM #18

Quote:
Absolute biased TOSH - EVERY extremist is STUPID and DANGEROUS and should never be tolerated by the authorities or Society as a whole, no matter if they are Extreme LEFT WING or Extreme RIGHT WING.

Frustrated and angry people are welcomed by both LEFT and RIGHT WING Organisations in addition to dim-witted people, gullible people, poorly educated people, anti-Social people, people with 'Chips On Their Shoulders' and any other type of people.

We have a Democracy in this country and RIGHT WING EXTREMIST CRETINS who make Death Threats to innocent politicians or anyone else are just as deserving of imprisonment as are LEFT WING EXTREMIST CRETINS who intimidate and threaten and put their hands on such as Nigel Farage when he is out with his family having Sunday Lunch.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 07:57 PM #19
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
Absolute biased TOSH - EVERY extremist is STUPID and DANGEROUS and should never be tolerated by the authorities or Society as a whole, no matter if they are Extreme LEFT WING or Extreme RIGHT WING.

Frustrated and angry people are welcomed by both LEFT and RIGHT WING Organisations in addition to dim-witted people, gullible people, poorly educated people, anti-Social people, people with 'Chips On Their Shoulders' and any other type of people.

We have a Democracy in this country and RIGHT WING EXTREMIST CRETINS who make Death Threats to innocent politicians or anyone else are just as deserving of imprisonment as are LEFT WING EXTREMIST CRETINS who intimidate and threaten and put their hands on such as Nigel Farage when he is out with his family having Sunday Lunch.
I asked who was most welcoming, and I answered the extreme right.. Your post seems to have misinterpreted that for something else. This isn’t really relevant to the thread topic, Kirk.

Last edited by Withano; 26-03-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:00 PM #20
User banned

User banned

Quote:

Very well put! Bigots on both sides - always have been and always will be.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:01 PM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
See, I used to think it was about the media pushing an agenda and wanting to portray things a certain way... But I've more recently started to think, does the media really want anything other than to make money and sell as many copies as possible? Does the media not just go with what's popular?

So it's not that the media "wants to sell" an image of the brown-immigrant-monster-on-your-street... It's just that they know that that's what their readers want to hear. If they start veering away from the accepted narrative of their regular consumers, then people will spit their cornflakes and get their morning outrage elsewhere.

People don't want to hear that "Little James Born And Bred Known His Parents Since He Was A Nipper" has become a violent thug. That upsets their comfortable worldview. They want to hear that strange others from faraway places are the ones to fear.
The media in this country SHY AWAY from mentioning COLOUR, RACE or even TERRORIST affiliations in criminal incidents until AFTER the 'suspected perpetrators' have been caught and arrested or the Police release definitive identifications.

Witness the LONG interval before the word Asian or Pakistani or Muslim was freely used by the media in the various Nationwide 'Children For Sex' 'Grooming' cases, and a host of other cases.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 26-03-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 26-03-2018, 08:05 PM #22
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I asked who was most welcoming, and I answered the extreme right.. Your post seems to have misinterpreted that for something else. This isn’t really relevant to the thread topic, Kirk.
What’s relevant or not is a matter of perspective and you do not have the monopoly on perspective. Focusing more on your own words than those of other posters would likely be more productive and relevant to the thread.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:06 PM #23

Quote:
Here's what you put Withano:

"I’m not sure if this is a controversial thing to say. But I think it all stems from just being stupid. It leads to frustration and anger, and which group is most welcoming of frustrated and angry people? Extreme right wing. They give them a place to direct their anger, and eventually, **** like this will happen."

You asked a RHETORICAL question which you immediately answered yourself so you were NOT asking a question but making a statement which I RIGHTFULLY interpreted as 'biased'.

If YOUR post is relevant to the thread topic then mine then certainly is too.

Old 26-03-2018, 08:06 PM #24
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

the most obvious reason for him not being named is that he is the subject of another pending or ongoing trial. Does everything have to be some sort of conspiracy these days?
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:10 PM #25
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Here's what you put Withano:

"I’m not sure if this is a controversial thing to say. But I think it all stems from just being stupid. It leads to frustration and anger, and which group is most welcoming of frustrated and angry people? Extreme right wing. They give them a place to direct their anger, and eventually, **** like this will happen."

You asked a RHETORICAL question which you immediately answered yourself so you were NOT asking a question but making a statement which I RIGHTFULLY interpreted as 'biased'.

If YOUR post is relevant to the thread topic then mine then certainly is too.
Literally nome of your posts have been on-topic in this thread yet. This is about 5 right wing extremists. You have not commented on them, or their affiliation. Just an overview on terrorism really, which isnt relevant.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
extreme, terrorism, wing