Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:06 PM #51
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Labour only have to drop Corbyn imo and they'd win the Election, people have had enough of the Tories hence why even Corbyn got so many votes in the last Election.

And also the Media have done a hatchet job to both Miliband and Corbyn during Election time and the Tories still struggled to get more votes than both of them, that's not exactly a huge endorsement.
I strongly suspect that Labour will drop Corbyn for a "younger, strong, sensible, charismatic" leader just in time for the next election campaign, and the "fresh buzz" combined with a hunger for change will serve them very well in the voting. I reckon Corbyn is a red herring.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:10 PM #52
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
It can be a bleak picture looking forward T.S. but I can only look back at the decades when I was growing up AND growing old, and all I see is the infinitely better standard of living EVERYONE has now and the infinitely better chances and opportunities for ANYONE to better their own personal standards IF they REALLY want to invest effort, time and hard work.

WHATEVER problems there are now - and THERE ARE plenty - life will go on and circumstances WILL improve.
I actually think we're currently in a bit of a paradoxical situation where people have both less hope and fewer real opportunities, AND YET better day to day standards of living at the same time... Which means that people seem to have a lot more, and in terms of day to day comforts DO have a lot more, and yet in other ways... Less. I suppose because day to day comforts are not really the things in life that are meaningful or fulfilling. It's a really quite complicated situation in that way.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:13 PM #53

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I actually think we're currently in a bit of a paradoxical situation where people have both less hope and fewer real opportunities, AND YET better day to day standards of living at the same time... Which means that people seem to have a lot more, and in terms of day to day comforts DO have a lot more, and yet in other ways... Less. I suppose because day to day comforts are not really the things in life that are meaningful or fulfilling. It's a really quite complicated situation in that way.
Perhaps its just that every young generation thinks its hard done by at the time, even though standards of living are a lot better than they were when their parents were young. I mean everyone has a phone these days. To me real poverty is not being able to afford things like that but others have posted before that they think having a phone is a necessity of life and not a luxury item.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 10-04-2018 at 03:14 PM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:24 PM #54

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

People want too much for too little input in a lot of cases, most of us live a life some could only dream of,even those who chose not to work and pay taxes get money for nothing and some keep it as a lifestyle which their children emulate and the cycle goes on,those who have wealth have usually achieved that by sheer hard work, the world doesn't owe us a living.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:25 PM #55
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
the internet has opened up amazing opportunities for young people like no other generation before

what a time to be alive
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:40 PM #56
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
Perhaps its just that every young generation thinks its hard done by at the time, even though standards of living are a lot better than they were when their parents were young. I mean everyone has a phone these days. To me real poverty is not being able to afford things like that but others have posted before that they think having a phone is a necessity of life and not a luxury item.
I'm not really talking about "poverty" though, I'm just saying... "things" aren't really what makes life fulfilling, are they? A lot of very lonely and miserable people out there with a lot of "things".

That said, I would say that having at least a basic android mobile phone IS a necessity these days to hold down even a basic job, etc... for example, you have to be involved in staff group chats, things like social media and skype are becoming more and more standard. We don't even do paper rotas anymore - it's all via app. Also payslips are all electronic. So we sort of are at a point where these devices aren't entirely "luxury items". Although obviously having the latest / best model all of the time isn't exactly necessary.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:00 PM #57
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I remember that too, BOTS - and he is a hopeless prat.
Whether or not he was a prat is not the issue... if you remember the point I raised was the antisemitism in the right wing media during his time as Labour leader.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:05 PM #58
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Yes mock, the younger generation will get older and as they do so, they will change and vote for the tories. Young labour voters is not a new phenomena, it just reflects their priorities at their voting age.
What a bizarre concept... how do you account for the 500,000 Labour membership, are you suggesting they're all under 25?
Old 10-04-2018, 06:28 PM #59

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
People want too much for too little input in a lot of cases, most of us live a life some could only dream of,even those who chose not to work and pay taxes get money for nothing and some keep it as a lifestyle which their children emulate and the cycle goes on,those who have wealth have usually achieved that by sheer hard work, the world doesn't owe us a living.

Yeah i like that.

I think a lot of poor people judge all rich people by what they have seen in the house of lords over the years. The true facts are just about all rich people have worked bloody hard for what they have. The havenots are simply self loathsome and jealous.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 PM #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
What a bizarre concept... how do you account for the 500,000 Labour membership, are you suggesting they're all under 25?
Bearing in mind that Corbyn is the Labour Leader and that abhorrent Racist Abbot has her big behind firmly wedged in one of the party's top seats, how about APPALLING LACK OF JUDGEMENT?

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:15 PM #61
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Not you putting down half a million Brits! :/
Old 10-04-2018, 08:21 PM #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Not you putting down half a million Brits! :/
Not so.

We are all capable of having a poor lack of judgement at some time in our lives and in MY opinion, anyone who STILL remains a Labour Party member with Corbyn at the helm and Abbott in his crew ARE experiencing such a lack of judgement right now.

Saying as much is NOT putting anyone down.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:40 PM #63
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Not so.

We are all capable of having a poor lack of judgement at some time in our lives and in MY opinion, anyone who STILL remains a Labour Party member with Corbyn at the helm and Abbott in his crew ARE experiencing such a lack of judgement right now.

Saying as much is NOT putting anyone down.
What? all those who voted Labour at the last election then? Even worse :/

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
corbyn, election, jeremy, popular, theresa, time