Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 10-04-2018, 10:01 PM #26

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbro View Post
My friend lied about her GCSEs for ha maccies application and they didnt care but you're not gonna wanna lie about your GCSEs for college or University. Pretty sure that's fraud?
not sure you'd get very far if you lied about your gcse grades in a university application. all five universities i applied to offered me a place, on the condition that i emailed them proof of my gcse and a level grades first. same for my a level college, i had to provide proof of results to enrol.

i think it's best if u study hard and get the best results u can. it makes things a little bit easier later on. ^^

Last edited by RichardG; 10-04-2018 at 10:03 PM.
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:04 PM #27
Banned

Banned

Important for college and stuff but you won't ever get asked about it in most jobs.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:09 PM #28

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardG View Post
not sure you'd get very far if you lied about your gcse grades in a university application. all five universities i applied to offered me a place, on the condition that i emailed them proof of my gcse and a level grades first. same for my a level college, i had to provide proof of results to enrol.

i think it's best if u study hard and get the best results u can. it makes things a little bit easier later on. ^^
Yeah, we had to bring our GCSE results to enrolment day
I'm reading now though and I've seen like three people claim using the wrong GCSE results is fraud and would be taken seriously (and others say the application would just be ignored which is well, understandable and expected)

But I'd imagine colleges would review the uni application anyway? Regardless there's NO way you'd get away with it
Ant. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:11 PM #29
it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Tera
BBUSA22: Janelle

it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):

i remember my maths teacher telling my class that if we didn’t get our intermediate 2 maths qualification that we’d be living in caravan sites by the age of 20.

Not quite as dramatic as that, however and I think this is the correct terms, GCSEs (Int 2/Nat 5) lead you to A-Levels (Higher) which will lead you to college or university applications. My brother is doing his Nat 5’s just now and like me, he isn’t doing N5 maths this year because we failed our prelims but will do it next year alongside some Highers.

Spoiler:

Matthew. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:18 PM #30
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

English and maths are to continue into college but I'll be honest with you I don't even put them on my cv anymore, when I was applying for post grad jobs I was told not to bother with GCSE's and I still got a few responses.

armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:03 PM #31
27/01/2020

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Clara Amfo
BBUSA22: Da'Vonne

27/01/2020

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Clara Amfo
BBUSA22: Da'Vonne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbro View Post
I mean not really?
They are important because you'll need them to get into college, but not that important
Like my college only required a few Bs and Cs which is like, manageable
But of course your chosen college may not offer you a certain course/certain courses if you don't reach a certain grade in a particular subject (we needed a 7 for Further Maths for example)

Also it depends on whether or not you want to be on the High Achievers programme at colleges. You need a lot of A*s (8s/9s in your case) for this and it the programme differs between colleges and some colleges don't offer it, and it's not even anything fancy, at our college they do push all the HA to apply to Unis early but that's it, High Achievers is only really tailored to people who want to go to Uni so if you're not interested in Uni I guess there's no point in pushing for a majority of A*s in that case

We also had to achieve a certain number of As/A*s to be able to do 4 A Levels too I believe? The rules will change for colleges obviously but I imagine this will be similar across the board

Also given the fact I haven't yet applied to Unis I can't speak for this, but I don't know any Unis that care for GCSEs (excluding a pass in English Lang/Maths/Science) as they focus on your A Levels/BTECs/Personal Statement (or so I'm led to believe)
That said, Medicine and Dentistry do have certain GCSE requirements. I think some of them require a 6 in Maths and English? I can't speak for all degrees but it's worth looking at some degrees you want to do (and the minimum requirements for your ideal courses at college)

This was an incoherent mess but honestly? GCSEs don't matter generally, but that said you're gonna need good grades under certain scenarios

Are you sitting your GCSEs this year, or next year? Even this time last year I'd say I was in your situation, but come the actual GCSEs I found myself not actually revising
I didn't revise and ended up with A, A, B, B, B, C, C, C, C - you just have to know how to structure the questions and how to talk bull ****.

Last edited by Morgan.; 10-04-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Morgan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:17 PM #32

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurryface View Post
I didn't revise and ended up with A, A, B, B, B, C, C, C, C - you just have to know how to structure the questions and how to talk bull ****.
I wish you got an extra GCSE that was an A because that'd be 3 As, 3 Bs, and 3 Cs

It's ironic, I'd say my worst grades were the ones I revised the most for (Maths and Geography) yet the rest I honestly didn't revise as much as I should've and got really high in them
That said, I got VERY lucky with my Lit questions
Old 10-04-2018, 11:21 PM #33
it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):

it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):

oh and you can answer the questions in any order you like. you are not penalised for doing them in a different order

Spoiler:

Matthew. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:35 PM #34

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew. View Post
oh and you can answer the questions in any order you like. you are not penalised for doing them in a different order
I'd actually do this imo
For maths I definitely spent too long on the longer questions which resulted in me missing out half the second paper
For science I learnt, I always left the big question of the paper until the end because I just KNEW I'd spend so much time on it

One technique my teachers recommended me that I never considered (but you may find useful) is quickly skimming the paper at the start and reading the questions so you have a general idea and can sorta think of what you'd write in advance? I always thought that'd waste time but I'd try it while you're doing past papers and see how that works
Old 10-04-2018, 11:56 PM #35
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi. View Post
I want the truth RIGHT some adults tell me that my whole future depends on my GCSE’s but others tell me that workplaces don’t really care what GCSE’s you have and that I can easily just lie on my CV

So are my exams worth the STRESS? Xx
No there nt worth the stress
michael21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
gcse’s, important