Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 18-04-2018, 07:18 PM #1
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Default U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley ERUPTS Over White House Disagreement: 'I Don't Get Confus

Nikki Haley is my #1 candidate for our first female president tbqh

U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley ERUPTS Over White House Disagreement: 'I Don't Get Confused'
https://www.dailywire.com/news/29592...-emily-zanotti

Quote:
U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley ERUPTS Over White House Disagreement: 'I Don't Get Confused'
The White House suggested Haley got ahead of the game announcing new sanctions against Russia.

United Nations ambassador Nikki Haley took her take-no-prisoners attitude to the White House late Tuesday, firing back after Trump Administration officials accused her of being "confused" about new sanctions against Russia.

Over the weekend, Haley made the talk show circuit, explaining on most major news networks that the United States was considering imposing sanctions against Russia for its role in Syria's chemical weapons program. But the White House says it was shocked by the revelation, telling those same news networks — independently — that Haley had gotten "ahead of the curve" and "confused," and that they hadn't yet discussed sanctions.

"She got ahead of the curve," National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow told reporters, according to CNN. "She's done a great job, she's a very effective ambassador. There might have been some momentary confusion about that."

He added that President Trump has intervened to "pump the brakes" on Haley's aggressive U.N. strategy.

But Haley says she was clear in her directives, and, turning her now-famous acerbic wit against the president and his advisors at Mar-a-Lago, issued a stinging rebuke: "I don't get confused."

It may have been an honest mistake. A meeting held late last week with Haley and other top foreign policy advisors apparently ended with an agreement that the United States would, in fact, consider leveling sanctions against Russian companies who directly supplied or aided Bashar al-Assad's chemical weapons development program as a way of scaring off potential corporate investors who might find profit in doing business with the Middle Eastern dictator.

Haley's remarks were very specific, noting that the Treasury Secretary would be handling the economic side of the administration's dealings with Russia — and it would be shocking that the administrations' own top diplomat would simply make things up about specific foreign policy initiatives.

The White House simply wasn't ready to announce it, it seems. Sources told CNN that the administration was primarily angry that Haley didn't clear her talking points through the White House communications department before she announced possible sanctions on the Sunday talk shows. The president has long been rumored to want one-on-one dealings with Russian President Vladimir Putin and could feel Haley jeopardized chances of holding that meeting.

Either way, it might be beneficial to the White House to realize that no one crosses Nikki Haley.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 08:15 PM #2
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Nikki Haley for first female President!

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 08:50 PM #3

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Good for her for standing her ground.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 09:59 PM #4
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

SE Cupp: The White House response to Haley is pure sexism
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/18/opini...upp/index.html

Quote:
(CNN)I'm not prone to cry sexism, and I don't do it often or lightly.

But there's no other word to describe the way President Donald Trump and his advisers have treated a woman who is arguably his strongest, most competent and effective Cabinet official.

Nikki Haley, US ambassador to the United Nations, was not only hung out to dry by the Trump administration, she was then dismissed and head-patted by an old boys' club Trump adviser who thought he could. And it was shameful.

Haley said over the weekend that Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin would be announcing new sanctions on Russia for aiding in Syria's suspected chemical attacks on civilians.

"You will see that Russian sanctions will be coming down," Haley said Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation." "Secretary Mnuchin will be announcing those on Monday, if he hasn't already."

It was something she had said earlier on Fox News. And it was specific -- Mnuchin on Monday.

Clearly, Haley didn't invent this idea out of thin air.
In fact, the White House reportedly told surrogates Saturday that sanctions were coming.

"We also intend to impose specific additional sanctions against Russia to respond to Moscow's ongoing support for the Assad regime, which has enabled the regime's atrocities against the Syrian people," said a document distributed by the Republican National Committee.

And the Russian newspaper Kommersant published a report that Sunday claiming Jon Huntsman Jr., the US ambassador to Russia, had also delivered a formal letter to Moscow warning of impending new US penalties over "support of the Syrian regime," according to NPR.
And yet Monday came and went with no sanctions.

So, when it came time for White House officials to answer for this, instead of shouldering the obvious blame for poor communication with one of Trump's top officials, or admitting they had simply changed their minds, they threw Haley under the bus.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said the administration was "considering additional sanctions on Russia," but that a decision hadn't yet been made.

And two senior administration officials told CNN on Tuesday that Trump had not signed off on the new sanctions and suggested that "Haley must have walked away from a Friday White House meeting about the sanctions having misunderstood how firm the plans were."
Then came Larry Kudlow, Trump's top economic adviser.

"She got ahead of the curve," he insisted before offering, "She's done a great job, she's a very effective ambassador. There might have been some momentary confusion about that."

Yes, it's Haley who was confused.

Kudlow was sure to point out who really knew what was going on.
"But if you talk with Steve Mnuchin at Treasury and so forth, he will tell you the same thing -- they're in charge of this -- we have had sanctions. Additional sanctions are under consideration but not implemented," he added.

The whole spectacle was not only embarrassing for spotlighting the lack of organization among the men running Trump's bumbling White House, but for its naked attempt to deflect that by making it all Haley's fault for getting, like, confused and stuff.

Fortunately, Haley was quick to put Kudlow and the rest in their place: "With all due respect, I don't get confused."

It was the perfect rebuttal, only I'd have left out the respect bit. They don't deserve hers because she clearly doesn't have theirs.

And that's odd. Because while Kudlow and the rest are running around trying to clean up after whatever inane thing the President's just tweeted, or to make actual policy decisions that don't contradict one another, or to keep all the scandals straight, Haley's taking on global terrorists like Vladimir Putin and Bashar al-Assad with tougher language than Trump's ever mustered. She makes her male counterparts look like scared schoolboys merely playing at government.

It gets even more pathetic, if you can believe it. According to a report in The New York Times, "Mr. Trump has grown suspicious of her ambition, convinced that she had been angling for (former Secretary of State) Mr. (Rex) Tillerson's position and increasingly wondering whether she wants his own job."

What children. I, for one, hope she is looking to run for president in the near future. It would be nice to have someone with balls, er, brains, in the White House.
Yeah... no Sexism has nothing to do with it. This White House is so dysfunctional and self-destructive. His whole cabinet has been thrown under the bus at one point or another, it was only a matter of time before Nikki got thrown. They constantly contradict themselves... how many times have his cabinet/communications said one thing, only for Trump to blow it up with a contradictory tweet 24 hours later? And all the in-fighting between depts? Honestly, she has been one of their most stable advisors by far ...

I do agree on the bits about her being one of their strongest, if not the strongest cabinet member. I think they would be crazy to cross her and cause her resign. That's a real concern. The turnover at the WH really does bring to mind, Russian Roulette... and they're still dealing with a major staffing shortage last I read.

Last edited by Maru; 18-04-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ambassador, confus, disagreement, erupts, haley, house, Nikki, white