Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 27-07-2018, 01:46 PM #26
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
To be fair I don't think it really had anything to do with them wanting to cast a black actress... there would have been a backlash against a full reboot even if they were casting someone who looks exactly like SMG.

I mean in another 10/20 years, maybe, but it only ended in 2003... I think TV shows need longer than that before being remade.
I think that's optimistic tbh, I think there would be an outcry as there always is with reboots but I don't think it would have been as bad as it was if they didn't mention they wanted a black actress to play Buffy.

It's not a perfect set of comparisons but look at the cases of Charmed and Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Both are being remade for release this year and both have had a very different reaction. Sabrina's reboot has been met with way more intrigue and interest with less backlash and they've cast a blonde white actress in the lead.

Charmed, judging from the trailers, looks about as good as the original series did yet has been met with backlash because they've gone for non-white actors to play the sisters.

I think people are just less accepting of different ehtnicities in these roles.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 02:49 PM #27
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I think that's optimistic tbh, I think there would be an outcry as there always is with reboots but I don't think it would have been as bad as it was if they didn't mention they wanted a black actress to play Buffy.

It's not a perfect set of comparisons but look at the cases of Charmed and Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Both are being remade for release this year and both have had a very different reaction. Sabrina's reboot has been met with way more intrigue and interest with less backlash and they've cast a blonde white actress in the lead.

Charmed, judging from the trailers, looks about as good as the original series did yet has been met with backlash because they've gone for non-white actors to play the sisters.

I think people are just less accepting of different ehtnicities in these roles.
I don't know. It might be a factor, but it can't be taken as the only factor; Buffy and Charmed also both have a massive (and dedicated) cult following to this day whereas something like Sabrina - while loads of people loved it and of course we all remember it - is not really in that category.

In terms of the casting (as mentioned in another thread recently) I personally have no issue with "black Buffy" if it is indeed a reboot (though I don't want them to reboot at all). However, I'd have preferred if it had been an open casting in terms of ethnicity and they'd simply chosen the best person for it... even if the casting people quietly "had their eye out" for a non-white candidate... specifically announcing that they "want an ethnic minority" before even auditioning the role seems a little bit political. Exploiting the issue for headlines, almost? Like... just cast a black girl and then announce her! Don't say "we've not even looked yet but guys... she's def gunna be black!"
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 02:57 PM #28

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Maybe a minority of people had an issue with a black Buffy but most just didn't want to see a classic franchise be tarnished by a reboot (which happens 90% of the time) It's no deeper than that really.

Last edited by Jordan.; 27-07-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 03:11 PM #29
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I don't know. It might be a factor, but it can't be taken as the only factor; Buffy and Charmed also both have a massive (and dedicated) cult following to this day whereas something like Sabrina - while loads of people loved it and of course we all remember it - is not really in that category.

In terms of the casting (as mentioned in another thread recently) I personally have no issue with "black Buffy" if it is indeed a reboot (though I don't want them to reboot at all). However, I'd have preferred if it had been an open casting in terms of ethnicity and they'd simply chosen the best person for it... even if the casting people quietly "had their eye out" for a non-white candidate... specifically announcing that they "want an ethnic minority" before even auditioning the role seems a little bit political. Exploiting the issue for headlines, almost? Like... just cast a black girl and then announce her! Don't say "we've not even looked yet but guys... she's def gunna be black!"
I suppose the reason for casting a black actress in particular is that it gives the writers the options to cover stories from angles that you simply couldn't cover with a white actress. If that's their thinking then I think it's a very valid reason.

I do honestly think the whole 'black actress' thing is what's caused the backlash to get as bad as it did. Reboots are becoming increasingly common but they typically don't garner that level of backlash.

I don't think a sequel series will work at all. What's the point of doing a Buffy the Vampire Slayer sequel when SMG doesn't want to reprise the role? If a new Buffy series is going to happen then I'd much prefer a reboot then a sequel series in which most of the (successful) cast probably wouldn't want to come back. Let the story of that Buffy continue untethered within the realm of comics.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 04:11 PM #30
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

A reboot would ditch the whole mythos that was created in Buffy and Angel, whereas a spin off allows them to expand on it.
Old 27-07-2018, 04:13 PM #31
Mode: Broken

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Sheldon
BBCanada 7: Anthony

Favourites (more):

Just like Macgyvers reboot, it is not going to work.
Calderyon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 04:16 PM #32

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Charmed and Sabrina the teenage whatever were horrible shows in themselves. Nothing is going to make them good.
Calderyon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:39 AM #33
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

I'm guessing the rumoured reboot isnt going to happen at this point, though we are getting the Slayers audio drama this week
https://www.audible.com/about/newsro...-on-october-12

I believe Spike and Cordelia are the main cast

Last edited by Scarlett.; 10-10-2023 at 10:41 AM.
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 11:39 AM #34
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

I'm interested to see how this is.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
back, buffy