Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB22 Celebrity Big Brother Summer 2018 [CBB 22], won by Ryan Thomas, and housemates here.

-----

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 31 34.44%
Yes
31 34.44%
No 59 65.56%
No
59 65.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-08-2018, 12:07 AM #51

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I don't remember it like that

And she also wasn't meaning it to be offensive, from memory

'Push it out, my n*****' I think was what was said, in a ridiculously ill judged matey type way of talking.

Regardless, there was absolutely no need for BB to throw her out in the middle of the night(and without any knickers on...), when the comment had been through the ****ing day

I think the main reason she got kicked out is because CBB5 was just months prior and they couldn't let another controversy out. Like I have no doubt it was innocent (although offensive) but Big Brother probably thought "we won't look good if we let an incidence of racism go unpunished after last series" and so decided to kick her out

I'm sure you realise that, so idk why I explained it all BUT the idea that the producers discussed how serious this word being aired could be after recent controversies is probably why she got kicked out so late (god knows why they didn't want until the morning though)
Ant. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 12:10 AM #52

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

to answer the question: no

simply by the standard set by Carol 5 years ago, she also said the same word yet wasn't evicted. It'd be a tad unfair if he was ejected and she wasn't

That aside though, Big Brother was really serious with their warning and didn't take his ****, and that's more than I expected, and nah, I don't think he should've been ejected
Ant. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 12:19 AM #53
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob! View Post
The thing is he even said that little N boys were his thing so at least he wasn’t trying to be racist I guess?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
I don't think it was racist. I think it was just really offensive... to be fair, I don't really get anymore what I'm supposed to be outraged over. If it's someone calling someone else out their name, then it would seem to be clearly crossing a line... but he was saying he preferred black folk... I think he was trying to be edge-y and BBUK was prudent to reign it in if they were concerned people in the media would get really butthurt about it...

Why do people think that just because he's attracted to black men it means it wasn't a racist thing to say? Him saying that little ****** boys were his type just tells me that this man fetishises black men, he doesn't really respect them or see them as his equals in life or the relationship. I am shocked that nobody around him said anything to him Natalie especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam. View Post
Not if it doesnt offend nobody,

Only sad people would find it super offensive
Well it offended me and I imagine most black viewers watching were offended too.

Last edited by armand.kay; 18-08-2018 at 12:26 AM.
armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 12:22 AM #54
haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post
Oh wow just watched that part :/

Being drunk isnt an excuse, he said it so easily as if its a completely normal thing to him speaking that way.
exactly

same thing with how emily just casually said it like um

Spoiler:

montblanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 12:45 AM #55
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand.kay View Post
Why do people think that just because he's attracted to black men it means it wasn't a racist thing to say? Him saying that little ****** boys were his type just tells me that this man fetishises black men, he doesn't really respect them or see them as his equals in life or the relationship. I am shocked that nobody around him said anything to him Natalie especially.
Yeah, I don't feel that fetishes have anything to do with racism in the categorical sense. That's too extreme a line for me to draw just slide it in underneath that term like that. It's also potentially trivializing.

I understood though why they took him to task for his language, because it is still an inappropriate term to use so freely in such a charged setting.

Last edited by Maru; 18-08-2018 at 12:47 AM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 01:42 AM #56

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
No neither should Jade goody
Jade Goody was never removed she was evicted there's a difference .

But i'm glad people have brought up Emily from BB8 , she rightly so got removed for using the N word . But over the years BB has let alot of things slide while others get punished . Totally messed up and confusing , clearly BB and their rule book is a joke as not even they know what's a removable offence and what isn't anymore
Old 18-08-2018, 01:51 AM #57

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane

Favourites (more):

Yes.

Emily was ejected because of the sensitivity CBB5 caused that was still around when BB8 aired...

Ken was ejected a few days in because C5 paid him to appear on the show...

Had Rodrigo said this a few days later and not on Day 1, he would have got ejected as well...
Eddie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 01:59 AM #58

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie. View Post
Yes.

Emily was ejected because of the sensitivity CBB5 caused that was still around when BB8 aired...

Ken was ejected a few days in because C5 paid him to appear on the show...

Had Rodrigo said this a few days later and not on Day 1, he would have got ejected as well...
Well BB should stick to their same rules instead of making up one for 1 person and 1 for another . I can't take them serious , over the years they've done so many ludicrous things let so many people off scot free while other's pay the price .Makes no sense and makes the show a bit of a mockery .

I guess time will tell , seen as BB are being so lenient on him as it's day 1. but it's still unfair that he got away with it twice . I bet he'll say it again then lets see if BB removes him .
Old 18-08-2018, 02:11 AM #59

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Perhaps the final housemate could be 12 boys in the hood type bad asses....lets see if he repeats it then..
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 04:58 AM #60

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

I think he should have been ejected from the house because they should be consistent and others have been ejected for similar language. You can't allow one person to say it and stay when you've thrown out another for the same word.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 18-08-2018 at 04:59 AM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 05:02 AM #61

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
I think he should have been ejected from the house because they should be consistent and others have been ejected for similar language. You can't allow one person to say it and stay when you've thrown out another for the same word.
Exactly my point
Emily BB8 said it and got removed straight away
Old 18-08-2018, 05:03 AM #62
baddie

Favourites (more):

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Yeah, I don't feel that fetishes have anything to do with racism in the categorical sense. That's too extreme a line for me to draw just slide it in underneath that term like that. It's also potentially trivializing.

I understood though why they took him to task for his language, because it is still an inappropriate term to use so freely in such a charged setting.
I don't think fetishising itself is racist because a lot of people do it without realising but to further dehumanise them by referring to them as "little ****** boys" in a condescending tone, to me you've stepped on racist territory. I also brought up fetishising just to let people know that just because someone has a sexual preference for a race doesn't exempt them from holding racist believes

Last edited by armand.kay; 18-08-2018 at 05:07 AM.
Old 18-08-2018, 05:10 AM #63

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I don't think fetishising itself is racist because a lot of people do it without realising but to further dehumanise them by referring to them as "little ****** boys" in a condescending tone, to me you've stepped on racist territory.
And to use alcohol as an excuse aswell was pathetic of him , let's put the shoe on the other foot and how would he of felt if Dan or someone used a derogatory term for gay people or Brazilians . I'm pretty sure Rodrigo wouldn't like that .
Old 18-08-2018, 05:23 AM #64
baddie

Favourites (more):

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
Well BB should stick to their same rules instead of making up one for 1 person and 1 for another . I can't take them serious , over the years they've done so many ludicrous things let so many people off scot free while other's pay the price .Makes no sense and makes the show a bit of a mockery .

I guess time will tell , seen as BB are being so lenient on him as it's day 1. but it's still unfair that he got away with it twice . I bet he'll say it again then lets see if BB removes him .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
You have to remember that big brother is just a group of producers who don't always make the best decisions and frequently make mistakes. If they were to be bound to consistency it would mean that if they were to handle a situation in the wrong way or act too harshly in one season they would have to stick to handling that specific situation like that every season. Even in lets say, 11 years.

Emily's ejection imo wasn't the best decision for that season but I completely understand it. The show was in the wake of a massive race row and it's image was at stake. You can tell it was a hard decision for them to come too, because of how long it took them to call her to the diary room. Really though at the time there was no choice but to eject her. that however doesn't mean that the same should be done in every instance.

Old 18-08-2018, 05:25 AM #65
baddie

Favourites (more):

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
And to use alcohol as an excuse aswell was pathetic of him , let's put the shoe on the other foot and how would he of felt if Dan or someone used a derogatory term for gay people or Brazilians . I'm pretty sure Rodrigo wouldn't like that .
Yeah the excuse was pretty crappy and he kind of tried to joke it off with the whole hangover thing.

Old 18-08-2018, 05:28 AM #66

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yeah the excuse was pretty crappy and he kind of tried to joke it off with the whole hangover thing.
He's a idiotic clown , i just can't like him
Old 18-08-2018, 05:31 AM #67
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...so if a specific skin colour is a preference then it’s ok to say he likes n.... boys..?...it’s good to get the rules right on this, on racism and complete disrespect with such a derogatory term....it doesn’t matter what the context in which it was said..there is no context which would make it ok or less than racist in its context...there are lots of black music artists I love, probably more black music artists than white...would it be ok then to say...I like them n.... music artists...?...not in this world, not in any world...it’s a racist remark, a disrespectful, derogatory remark and it’s that black and white for me...

...I haven’t seen the warning...I hope the warning wasn’t..’it could be perceived as....etc, etc..’...because that would be equally wrong as well, there is no other perception other than what it was...

...the boy can inherit a fortune, move in the most expensive of circles with the prettiest of people...but apparently you can’t take the ignorance out of the boy...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 05:37 AM #68

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You have to remember that big brother is just a group of producers who don't always make the best decisions and frequently make mistakes. If they were to be bound to consistency it would mean that if they were to handle a situation in the wrong way or act too harshly in one season they would have to stick to handling that specific situation like that every season. Even in lets say, 11 years.

Emily's ejection imo wasn't the best decision for that season but I completely understand it. The show was in the wake of a massive race row and it's image was at stake. You can tell it was a hard decision for them to come too, because of how long it took them to call her to the diary room. Really though at the time there was no choice but to eject her. that however doesn't mean that the same should be done in every instance.
It just seemed since BB moved to C5 that they became more strict , infact people were even saying it felt like there was too many rules and that BB removed people too easily.

Yeah it's obvious after the whole Shilpa controversy that they had to act quickly but it still makes the producers look ridiculous in other instances.

Plus prior to the whole Shilpa drama , in BB7 remember how there was NO FILTER what so ever and Grace & Nikki said alot of rude ignorant things which would be considered offensive today and would of gotten them removed, yet at the time BB didn't even say boo to them about it.

And in BB8 apparently Ziggy also used the N word aswell but it wasn't aired and it was in a different context ,as he was singing a rap song or something (still doesn't make it ok though), but BB only gave him a warning and he allegedly apologised to Brian and he accepted it saying he knows he's not racist or something .
Old 18-08-2018, 06:52 AM #69
Banned

Favourites (more):
CBB21: India Willoughby
Banned

Favourites (more):
CBB21: India Willoughby

A little question for people in this thread

Do you think Rodrigo is a racist person?
Osjama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 06:58 AM #70
Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob! View Post
The thing is he even said that little N boys were his thing so at least he wasn’t trying to be racist I guess?
That’s... not how it works
Old 18-08-2018, 06:58 AM #71
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osjama View Post

Does he look down his nose at black people?

Id say from last night

yes

yes he does
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 07:16 AM #72
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Ken Morley got thrown out and he wasnt being "nasty" when he said what he said. That is also historically much closer in time than other mentioned incidents. However, I'm pretty sure he received a warning prior to his subsequent ejection, so there was no instant dismissal there either.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 07:18 AM #73

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osjama View Post

I think he had the same intentions as Emily and didn’t mean it that way...?
Eddie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 07:23 AM #74
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Umm I chose 'no', but I do understand why people would think he should and armand's comments. I'm not a black person myself, but I try to think of a similar situation if someone would've used the word "kike" for Jewish people.
The difference is that the n word did become an acceptable slang amongst black people, though I'm not sure why - is it a way of trying to reclaim it? If so, they still accuse white people of racism if they use it in the same context (let's say Natalie could've said she likes "n**** boys" and nothing would've happened). I think if a word is unacceptable, it should be like that for everyone (you won't hear Jewish people calling each other "kike boy" or whatever, it's just bad and racist). But that's my views on the use of this word in general.

Were they right to eject Emily? Yes and no. She used it as a slang like black people do and didn't mean to harm Charley. Did she deserve a formal and final warning? in my opinion, yes. The thing is that it came straight after CBB5, so it was highly sensitive and they couldn't have acted differently.

Should they eject Rodrigo? I believe giving a final and formal warning was good enough at this stage, especially with BB not accepting Rodrigo's reasons. If it was a clear racist remark then they should've kicked him out the house in seconds.

Spoiler:

Shifra, Tzabar, Ranin. BBIL 2008.
y.winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 07:27 AM #75
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...with what he said...it’s not just that he’s objectifying black guys as sexual objects, which in itself is dehumanising...he’s also referring to them in a completely derogatory and disrespectful way with the n word...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ejected, rodrigo