Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB22 Celebrity Big Brother Summer 2018 [CBB 22], won by Ryan Thomas, and housemates here.

-----

Old 19-08-2018, 10:48 PM #51
Simba Wiv Ya Friggin ‘Air

Location: You Chanelle from Wikkfield, wherever the **** you’re from

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: A'Whora
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Simba Wiv Ya Friggin ‘Air

Location: You Chanelle from Wikkfield, wherever the **** you’re from

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: A'Whora
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

I’ve only ever seen ghetto used myself as to refer to a black person. White people would probably get called ‘white trash’ etc. as the equivalent of what ‘ghetto’ means, which is also quite derogatory. But yeah there’s no denying ‘ghetto’ definitely has racist undertones.

Last edited by Daniel-X; 19-08-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Daniel-X is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 10:49 PM #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
But it's also reinforcing negative stereotypes.

The way I see it the word Ghetto has become a general insult for someone loud and argumentative and it came across the pond .
....except it hasn't.

It's like saying "The way I see it the n word has become a loving word to mean "My black bestie who I love so much"...
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 10:52 PM #53
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Oh hell, I have called other white folk out for being ghetto before. "That sh*t is ghetto!" "Girl, you're ghetto" is very common language in my area... that term has nothing to do with what color the person was either who said it. We all said it to each other.

Maybe it is different in the UK, but here being ghetto has to do with class differences, life choices, having an attitude specific, a specific type of upbringing that results from having limited money and having to "make do" with what we have... there doesn't have to be a race distinction at all to be deemed "ghetto". Some people wear that label with extreme pride. Like cardboard boxes turned to CPU cases sort of pride. It can also mean someone doesn't feel like they believe in having to pay for "nice" things and they'll gladly settle with knock offs...

The "hood", or hood-rat tends to be the one to have more an ethnic distinction I think. For example, when people from the NE wanted to give an idea to people here where they once lived while living in places like NY/Baltimore, they were clearer to say hood... which tended to trigger the images of poor blank neighborhoods such as the Bronx, LA, etc... i.e. the most authentic example of hood one could cite... On the other hand, poorer Asians and Hispanics call their own neighborhoods that as well. Though white people can certainly be a hood-rat... there are a lot of kids who enjoy wearing those particular labels and wear them proudly.

Keeping in mind though, there are major dialect differences between different parts of the US and certain neighborhoods may proudly wear one label while not another.

Last edited by Maru; 19-08-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 10:53 PM #54
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
But it's also reinforcing negative stereotypes.

The way I see it the word Ghetto has become a general insult for someone loud and argumentative and it came across the pond .
I'm not reinforcing anything, in fact I'm calling out the fact that that word is heavily associated with black people especially African Americans. Literally one google search of the words "Ghetto woman" and its just a sea of black women.

also your whole "loud and argumentative" argument just doesn't work I mean would you call kim woodburn ghetto? what about Katie Hopkins? or Megan McKenna? Did anyone call them ghetto? Because if they did I certainly didn't see it.

armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 10:55 PM #55
baddie

Favourites (more):

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
It's like saying "The way I see it the n word has become a loving word to mean "My black bestie who I love so much"...
or "my black lover whom I respect"

Old 19-08-2018, 10:55 PM #56
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand.kay View Post
I'm not reinforcing anything, in fact I'm calling out the fact that that word is heavily associated with black people especially African Americans. Literally one google search of the words "Ghetto woman" and its just a sea of black women.

also your whole "loud and argumentative" argument just doesn't work I mean would you call kim woodburn ghetto? what about Katie Hopkins? or Megan McKenna? Did anyone call them ghetto? Because if they did I certainly didn't see it.
Try DuckDuckGo:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ghetto+gir...ages&ia=images

Google Images tracks your prior searches and is heavily influenced by your browser history. I wouldn't go based on that alone... Look up "filter bubble"
Old 19-08-2018, 10:57 PM #57

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton

Oh wow are we really debating this

like no matter what you interpret 'ghetto' to mean it CANNOT be denied that James Jordan meant it in a racist way I won't be challenged on this
Ant. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 11:00 PM #58
bottle blonde

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BBCanada 9: Julie
bottle blonde

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
Aaaaaaand the racism begins

not this prick again

It takes a special and extremely misguided type of person to not believe the statement that there is a racist connotation behind associating the word ghetto with a black person.

Think about it this way, words like "ghetto" and "ratchet" are often, if not always, used to imply that someone is inferior. So when someone uses it to describe a specific group or community, it insinuates that those people are inferior. If that's not racist, then I don't know what is
Old 19-08-2018, 11:05 PM #59
baddie

Favourites (more):

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Try DuckDuckGo:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ghetto+gir...ages&ia=images

Google Images tracks your prior searches and is heavily influenced by your browser history. I wouldn't go based on that alone... Look up "filter bubble"
I mean theres a few more white faces but its still predominantly black, also the caption on one of the pictures of a white girl is "white people that act a different race"

Last edited by armand.kay; 19-08-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 19-08-2018, 11:11 PM #60

Favourites (more):
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

Quote:

It is reinforcing negative stereotypes because we're going backwards, as Maru eloquently put all kinds of people get labelled Ghetto but yes it's an American term and it came form people's background and where they lived etc. Yes it was originally aimed at certain people but that's not the case these days.

So no obviously Megan , Kim or Katie probably wouldn't get labelled that as such . As none of them are American . But then again maybe some people have referred to them as ghetto who know's .

I see Ghetto as the American word for Chav

The word chav was and is an insult to people usually youngsters who blare loud music out , commit crime ,behave obnoxiously and fight . It was also aimed at predominantly white youth but nowadays all kinds of people get that label with antisocial behaviour and cheap dress sense and certain style in furniture and other things .

Last edited by GoldHeart; 19-08-2018 at 11:12 PM.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 11:13 PM #61
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

James Jordan confirmed racist?

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 11:16 PM #62

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
....except it hasn't.

You can't compare the N word with Ghetto come on Marsh .
I feel like we've gone down the rabbit hole now . if Ghetto is racist then what is chav?? .
Old 19-08-2018, 11:20 PM #63

Quote:
You can't compare the N word with Ghetto come on Marsh .
I feel like we've gone down the rabbit hole now . if Ghetto is racist then what is chav?? .
Who's comparing? I'm pointing out you can't just invent new definitions of words every time you speak.

Chav? Is this the part where you tell me white people are victims of racism too? (Not that chav has ever been a white person insult).

Last edited by Marsh.; 19-08-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 19-08-2018, 11:20 PM #64

Has anyone noticed Jordan didn't spell Ghetto correctly
Old 19-08-2018, 11:21 PM #65
bottle blonde

Favourites (more):
bottle blonde

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece(: View Post
always got that impression from him tbh,

he really kept pouncing at every opportunity to call Hannah and Debs aggressive during BB18.

also, on launch night for CBB19, he was adamant that Stacy had to be the one "edited out" and wouldn't even consider anyone else

Last edited by Moniqua; 19-08-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Moniqua is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 11:25 PM #66
baddie

Favourites (more):

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It is reinforcing negative stereotypes because we're going backwards, as Maru eloquently put all kinds of people get labelled Ghetto but yes it's an American term and it came form people's background and where they lived etc. Yes it was originally aimed at certain people but that's not the case these days.

So no obviously Megan , Kim or Katie probably wouldn't get labelled that as such . As none of them are American . But then again maybe some people have referred to them as ghetto who know's .

I see Ghetto as the American word for Chav

The word chav was and is an insult to people usually youngsters who blare loud music out , commit crime ,behave obnoxiously and fight . It was also aimed at predominantly white youth but nowadays all kinds of people get that label with antisocial behaviour and cheap dress sense and certain style in furniture and other things .
How is acknowledging the racial undertones of the word going backwards? Why do people always want to sweep racism under the carped and pretend that we're in this colourblind utopia and it doesn't exist anymore and call anyone who would rather have a discussion about it "decisive".

Also you point about Natalie being American doesn't hold true because both Hannah and Deborah were called ghetto last year, both english and neither of them tried to hit anyone like Ellie did...

Old 19-08-2018, 11:28 PM #67
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I mean theres a few more white faces but its still predominantly black, also the caption on one of the pictures of a white girl is "white people that act a different race"
Considering that a lot of people here living in poorer neighborhoods tend to enjoy and emulate more "ethnic" music, that's not surprising either... the ethnic "look" is considered as part of that core aesthetic.

I don't consider ghetto in US, particularly in the southern metros like Houston and Miami where race relations are more relaxed, to be a steady term at all. I've seen it in a variety of uses in our community... that's why I don't really associate it with black/brown-ness... I think a lot of urban poor neighborhoods tend to be on the black/brown side, but if there's white trash living in a trailer park someplace, we tend to class them in as part of the ghetto... maybe it is completely different in the UK and those are terms that are used more sparingly. In the poorer neighborhoods here, a lot of the younger folk have taken back ownership of the word to refer to the type of lifestyle and neighborhood they were born in... so maybe once upon a time it had a racial history to it. Now it doesn't seem to be used that way.. but rather an upbringing that we're all "proud" of, in a weird sort of way...

I think Hispanics and Blacks here like to use "hood" and "barrio" separately when specifically speaking about their own neighborhoods... but in general, a ghetto is a class of neighborhood in which all types of poor folk generally reside in... (where I live anyway...)

Last edited by Maru; 19-08-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 19-08-2018, 11:30 PM #68

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Who's comparing? I'm pointing out you can't just invent new definitions of words every time you speak.

Chav? Is this the part where you tell me white people are victims of racism too? (Not that chav has ever been a white person insult).
I know where the word Ghetto came from i'm not stupid , the point i'm making is it's become ingrained in pop culture and all types of people get called ghetto. Yes there's racist connotations when some people use that word.

Ghetto was usually an insult because of where somebody lived , and lack of education aswell as their behaviour . Yes it was aimed at predominantly black people because when people think of poor areas in America like the hood etc where there's alot of crime it's usually places like compton etc .

I'm just saying you can't immediately assume ghetto is racist when anyone uses it today . Think about context aswell.

Well you were the one trying to say it's as bad as the N word which is ridiculous.

I'm just saying the word Chav can be taken a certain way, but we use it. Chav is aimed at british low class people . the way people dress, act and the way they decorate their homes get's called chavvy .
Old 19-08-2018, 11:31 PM #69
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece(: View Post
Audley had him sussed?
Jason. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 11:39 PM #70

Favourites (more):
BB15: Helen
CBB 13: Jim Davidson

Favourites (more):
BB15: Helen
CBB 13: Jim Davidson

Quote:
She's not just disagreeing though? She's being a child about it.

She's literally attacking Kirstie because she knows she voted for Trump, not because of anything Kirstie has actually said or done. That kind of calls into question her intelligence and, therefore, her education.
she doesnt actually know who Kirstie voted for, but is it now acceptable to slate someone for their political views, if they are right wing? what happened to freedom of thought??
Old 19-08-2018, 11:41 PM #71

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
How is acknowledging the racial undertones of the word going backwards? Why do people always want to sweep racism under the carped and pretend that we're in this colourblind utopia and it doesn't exist anymore and call anyone who would rather have a discussion about it "decisive".

Also you point about Natalie being American doesn't hold true because both Hannah and Deborah were called ghetto last year, both english and neither of them tried to hit anyone like Ellie did...
Sweep what racism under the carpet?? , i don't sweep anything under any carpet when racism is concerned .

Regarding Deborah & Hannah i never watched that BB , i've seen clips though.

If people referred to them as "Ghetto" then it might of been racially forced if that's the way to put it , which i agree is wrong . Listen i'm not denying racism and subtle undertone racism isn't around believe me i've watched things and been completely irritated at the injustice of people of colour .

I also thing some people get edited a certain way to be seen as "the angry black person" , i've seen it all . But i'm just saying regarding that tweet from james jordan i don't think he's being racist, i know he's a tool bag but i don't think he's racist that's just my opinion .

Last edited by GoldHeart; 19-08-2018 at 11:41 PM.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 11:42 PM #72

Quote:
I know where the word Ghetto came from i'm not stupid , the point i'm making is it's become ingrained in pop culture and all types of people get called ghetto. Yes there's racist connotations when some people use that word.

Ghetto was usually an insult because of where somebody lived , and lack of education aswell as their behaviour . Yes it was aimed at predominantly black people because when people think of poor areas in America like the hood etc where there's alot of crime it's usually places like compton etc .

I'm just saying you can't immediately assume ghetto is racist when anyone uses it today . Think about context aswell.

Well you were the one trying to say it's as bad as the N word which is ridiculous.

I'm just saying the word Chav can be taken a certain way, but we use it. Chav is aimed at british low class people . the way people dress, act and the way they decorate their homes get's called chavvy .
I didn't say it was as bad as the 'n' word. In fact I didn't make a comparison on the words at all. READ what I wrote!

You think James Jordan called her ghetto because of her background? Does he know her that well? Or did he think "Oooh, angry black girl"? He's very vocal about all kinds of housemates in CBB and not once has he called a mouthy white girl "ghetto". In fact he's friends with Helen Wood!
Old 19-08-2018, 11:44 PM #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda123 View Post
she doesnt actually know who Kirstie voted for, but is it now acceptable to slate someone for their political views, if they are right wing? what happened to freedom of thought??
I haven't slated anyone for their political views.

However, Kirstie was a very vocal supporter of Trump throughout his election which may be what has coloured Natalie's view of her.

Last edited by Marsh.; 19-08-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 19-08-2018, 11:44 PM #74

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda123 View Post
That's why i think Kirstie is now the new Ann Widdecombe , the amount of times people and certain housemates brought up her views.

I don't support tories but i was judging Ann on her behaviour in the house . And i will take Kirstie the same way , plus as it turns out it looks like in the end Kirstie didn't support either candidate in the election but as i've said maybe she's still a republican .
Old 19-08-2018, 11:46 PM #75

Quote:
That's why i think Kirstie is now the new Ann Widdecombe , the amount of times people and certain housemates brought up her views.
Not really. Ann was very open with her views, opinions and political persuasion. Kirstie hasn't been.

It's fair enough to respond and react to someone should they be sharing those views, discussing them with you/on the show, like Ann did.

However, so far, Kirstie has done no such thing so is getting judged on nothing but a childish assumption that Kirstie has designed the whole Trump themed task.

I can only assume Natalie doesn't know Stormy Daniels was originally going to appear.

Last edited by Marsh.; 19-08-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
natalie, nunn, trash, type, uneducated, worst