Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
LaLaLand
Senior Member
 
LaLaLand's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 15,104


Default Do you remember where you were on 9/11/01?

What were you doing/where were you when you heard about or saw what was happening?
LaLaLand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
montblanc
Senior Member
 
montblanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 12,283

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kemi
DOI 2019: Richard Blackwood
CBBUSA2: Tamar Braxton
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

no i was only 2

i’m pretty sure my parents do though
__________________





Spoiler:


montblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #3
Toy Soldier
#VoteTS2022 ✔️
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 17,922
Blog Entries: 1


Default

In maths when we heard about it (I was 16), at home watching it on the news by the time the first tower fell. Chilling.
__________________
"Sometimes the snow comes down in June
Sometimes the sun goes 'round the moon
Just when I thought our chance had passed
You go and save the best for last...
You go and save the best for last."


Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
Smithy
Twink Legend
 
Smithy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 51,940
Blog Entries: 8

Favourites (more):
BB12: Aaron
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
CBB8: Tara
UBB: Nikki


Default

Yeah, in Gran Canaria, laying on a sun lounger playing on me gameboy
__________________
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
Underscore
nancy pelosi is my mom
 
Underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Yorkshire/London
Posts: 5,958
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2019: Catherine Tyldesley
Love Island 5: Curtis
BB19: Zoe
IAC2018: James McVey
Default

appaz i was in my cot my mum said
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullen Girl View Post
i hope we all die soon

Spoiler:


ST☆RS (TiBB's CBB): 6th/12

I'm a TiBB Member 4: 3rd/16 & Highest Placed All-Star (1st/8)
TiBB on Ice: 4th/15
ST☆RS (TiBB's CBB) 2: 3rd/17
TiBB OTT3: 2nd/13
Underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
RileyH
A great thief
 
RileyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: I live in a purple world. Lavender highs and violet lows.
Posts: 36,559
Blog Entries: 5

Favourites:
BBUSA21: Analyse


Default

I wasn't even 1
__________________

Spoiler:

RileyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #7
Elliot
Senior Member
 
Elliot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 7,147

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
IAC2018: Fleur East
BB18: Isabelle
CBB17: Gemma Collins
Default

Being a 1 year old
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
Tony Montana
I...am.... Iron Man.
 
Tony Montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: A Galaxy far, far away
Posts: 12,407

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Maura
BB19: Lewis F
IAC2018: Noel Edmonds
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

I was only 6 at the time
Tony Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #9
LaLaLand
Senior Member
 
LaLaLand's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 15,104


Default

Oh wow I feel old! I was 11, first week of high school.

Last edited by LaLaLand; 11-09-2018 at 09:06 PM.
LaLaLand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:16 PM   #10
thisisdanny
Shut yer mouth ya PRICK
 
thisisdanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 6,986

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Maura
BB19: Sian
CBBUSA2: Tamar Braxton
IAC2018: Harry Redknapp
Default

I remember crying my eyes out because an episode of Captain Scarlet was cancelled because of news coverage... obvs I was only little so I didn't understand but I cried A LOT

EDIT: "Digitally remastered, the series resurfaced on BBC Two in the autumn of 2001.[10] On this occasion, the episode schedule needed to be re-arranged at short notice to avoid offence in the immediate aftermath of the September 11 attacks.[63] The second episode, "Winged Assassin", in which the Mysterons destroy and reconstruct a plane to assassinate a world leader, and the third, "Big Ben Strikes Again", in which London comes under threat from an atomic device, were held back and replaced with the fourth episode, "Manhunt", due to parallels between the plotlines and events in the real world.[106] In the week after the attacks, the Captain Scarlet section on the Carlton website was also temporarily removed.[106]"
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabelindabee View Post
I started declining people if they have a Foren names though as those people I think are contacting me about dating as they want a visa... Lots of people (who can't speak English well) contact me about wanting to be my bf... Then I find out that they actually live in indea or a place like that

Last edited by thisisdanny; 11-09-2018 at 09:19 PM.
thisisdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:39 PM   #11
Northern Monkey
Northern Monkey
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 12,938

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom
BB17: Jason
CBB16: Tila Tequila


Default

Yeah at work.My supervisor told me about it and i was like “meh”.Then when i got home and saw it i was in total shock.
__________________
Quote:
"And remember: they can’t undo the decision we take.

"If we vote out, that’s it.

"It is irreversible.

"We will leave Europe – for good.
David Cameron 2016
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:01 AM   #12
Ant.
♀ are Strong as Hell
 
Ant.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 17,567

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Roxanne Pallett
Love Island 4: Georgia
CBB21: Wayne Sleep


Default

Guessin i was ****ting in a diaper at home
__________________
Ant. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:08 AM   #13
armand.kay
armand.kay
 
armand.kay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The Underworld
Posts: 23,575
Blog Entries: 2

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Natalie Nunn
Love Island 4: Hayley
BB18: Chanelle
Love Island 3: Camilla


Default

non of y'all were in theatres watching glitter hugh?
armand.kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:14 AM   #14
LaLaLand
Senior Member
 
LaLaLand's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 15,104


Default

I didn't even put an answer to my own question oop.

Well, It was the first week of secondary school, possibly even first day with it being a Tuesday (Mondays after holidays are usually "Staff Training"). Anyway, my school photos from my last year in primary school had arrived majorly late during the Summer so we all had to go back to our old school which is in my village to pick them up after the holidays.

I did so with a friend on the 11th straight off the school bus home, got there and was just catching up with some teachers who were asking how "big school" is etc and then a different teacher came in and said "just heard on the radio there's some sort of plane crash in New York it sounded like", and we didn't think anything of it.

Cut to me walking into my house about 15 mins later and my Mam on the edge of her seat, mouth open watching the live coverage. Absolutely horrifying.

Last edited by LaLaLand; 12-09-2018 at 01:17 AM.
LaLaLand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:06 AM   #15
Shaun
#Annabelindabee2020
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 102,928
Blog Entries: 17

Favourites (more):
BB19: Kay
IAC2018: Anne Hegerty
Strictly 2018: Danny John
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

I'd also just started secondary school, think I went in for the Friday/Thursday the week before as like a sort-of induction, so it wasn't completely new.

I remember it was hometime and I was walking through the corridor of classrooms and seeing students and teachers all huddled around the televisions... I didn't stop to wonder why, really, just wanted to go home. Then found out what had happened on the radio on the drive home, and I think as I got in the first tower was just about to fall. I don't remember feeling as engrossed in what was happening as we all do now whenever something's a breaking story and it's so easily accessible on our phones etc., I think I only watched an hour or so at most... but in hindsight I think it'll never be surpassed as the most chilling "visual" experience of my lifetime. I hope not, anyway.
__________________


Season 11 Faves: Nina, A'Keria, Shuga & Mercedes
DRUK Faves: The Vivienne, Divina, Baga, Blu & Sum Ting Wong
Bake-Off Faves: Helena, Michael, Amelia, Priya, Alice & Phil
Strictly Faves: Michelle, Anneka, Mike, Dev, Alex & Emma W

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T* View Post
Christopher Maloney is the new judge of the voice 2019! my cat is the producer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB. View Post
Him to throw up every time he spins round?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:28 AM   #16
Hayden
And I Oop
 
Hayden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Celeb hangouts
Posts: 46,153

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kemi
Love Island 5: Amber
BBCanada 7: Eddie
Amazing Race 31: Elissa & Rachel


Default

Too young to remember it myself, would've only been two.

But whenever I think about 9/11 I always think about a woman who was participating in Big Brother US at the time and had made it to the final week, only for the crash to happen just before she left the house/was reunited with her family and had to be told by producers that her cousin had been killed

I saw someone tweet a clip of it today and it always gets me

__________________
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:31 AM   #17
Glenn.
Senior Member
 
Glenn.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17,361

Favourites:
BBCanada 4: Nick
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman
BB12: Aaron


Default

I was a couple of days into Year 7. I remember coming home and starting science homework in a fresh new notebook. I looked up at the telly and watched live as the second plane hit.
__________________
.

"I named them for my brothers, Viserys and Rhaegar"


.
Glenn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:54 AM   #18
Macie Lightfoot
As Told by Troy
 
Macie Lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 21,833

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
BBUSA19: Cody
BB OTT: Shelby
BBUSA18: Natalie
Default

I was in third grade. I grew up in north/central NJ so I'm about 50 minutes away from NYC. Our school didn't tell us anything because we were only in elementary school, but the biggest memory was just kid after kid getting called down for an early dismissal all throughout the day, like about half of the class in total. We had no clue what was going on so we all thought it was like a game and we were trying to predict who would get picked up next. I can't even imagine trying to be a teacher on that day, but I do take a little bit of comfort in knowing that we were all so innocent and it was probably a bit heartwarming to our teacher that we were so unaware of what was going on.

I was in after care (at another elementary school in town, third grade was weird for me) because both of my parents worked and I was an only child so I loved hanging out with my friends because when I got home from school each day it was just me and my parents. It was so empty that day and none of my good friends were there or they were picked up pretty early and I just remember that it was suuuuuuch a boring day and I wished that my parents picked me up earlier. I'm glad they didn't, though, they didn't want me to be scared or upset or worried so they just wanted to treat it like a normal day.

The whole thing is still so surreal and crazy. Every TV channel was the news for what felt like an eternity. The whole country stopped and was on a hiatus, you couldn't escape the news even as a kid. I was a huge reality TV buff back then and 9/11 affected everything. Survivor was going to have a season in Jordan but then that had to get scrapped, the first season of The Amazing Race had to get pushed back a few weeks and the second season of the Mole was put on hiatus for nearly a year I think, and then the second season of Big Brother was wrapping up but had to be put on pause for a good week. We had three episodes a week but then went nearly a week without an episode. It was especially somber with Monica's cousin Tamitha, like Hayden said, who was never accounted for. She reportedly was on the ground floor ready to exit but then went back upstairs to grab her purse, likely unaware that the second tower was going to be hit as well.

And that's not even to mention all the huge changes in airport security, friends of mine who had parents working in NYC and were counting their blessings that their moms and dads made it home alive and well, and just feeling like we lost our safe space. Everyone was on high alert and vulnerable and we didn't feel like we were immune from anything anymore. I can't even describe it properly, it's like how the kids in school now were born in 2001 or later and they don't know what life was like before 9/11. To them it's just another day. It can't be said enough how much life in America changed that day.
__________________
Macie Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:56 AM   #19
JerseyWins
Meow Meow
 
JerseyWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 19,070

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane
BB19: Lewis G
Survivor 38: Kelley
Default

Yeah I remember clearly it was in 3rd grade. Living in NJ (close to New York, not far from the other side of the Hudson river), we could see the Twin Towers from one side of the school. I think classes one at a time were going into the classroom that could see the Towers from what I can remember but I never got a good look at the window. I remember kids were leaving throughout the day, and my parents came to pick me up before most of the others did so I didn't want to leave and I ended up staying. By the afternoon it was just a few other people in class with me and we just kinda had a free day playing board games and stuff all day.
__________________

Spoiler:

JerseyWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:04 AM   #20
JerseyWins
Meow Meow
 
JerseyWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 19,070

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane
BB19: Lewis G
Survivor 38: Kelley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
Too young to remember it myself, would've only been two.

But whenever I think about 9/11 I always think about a woman who was participating in Big Brother US at the time and had made it to the final week, only for the crash to happen just before she left the house/was reunited with her family and had to be told by producers that her cousin had been killed

I saw someone tweet a clip of it today and it always gets me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macie Lightfoot View Post
It was especially somber with Monica's cousin Tamitha, like Hayden said, who was never accounted for. She reportedly was on the ground floor ready to exit but then went back upstairs to grab her purse, likely unaware that the second tower was going to be hit as well.
Omg that's awful </3
__________________

Spoiler:

JerseyWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:57 AM   #21
jaxie
Senior Member
 
jaxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 7,038

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke
Default

I had been helping out at the primary school, listening to readers. I got in close to noon and put the kettle on, turned on the TV for a bit of background while I had lunch. There was a smoking building and they were talking about a plane hitting it. I thought what a terrible accident, how on Earth did it happen in the middle of a city and then watched in absolute horror as a second plane disintegrated as it flew into the building live. It was shocking to watch, I don't think I'll ever forget that moment.
__________________
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
Terry Pratchett

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:11 AM   #22
Ammi
Quand il pleut, il pleut
 
Ammi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: on Blueberry Hill
Posts: 47,432


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macie Lightfoot View Post
I was in third grade. I grew up in north/central NJ so I'm about 50 minutes away from NYC. Our school didn't tell us anything because we were only in elementary school, but the biggest memory was just kid after kid getting called down for an early dismissal all throughout the day, like about half of the class in total. We had no clue what was going on so we all thought it was like a game and we were trying to predict who would get picked up next. I can't even imagine trying to be a teacher on that day, but I do take a little bit of comfort in knowing that we were all so innocent and it was probably a bit heartwarming to our teacher that we were so unaware of what was going on.

I was in after care (at another elementary school in town, third grade was weird for me) because both of my parents worked and I was an only child so I loved hanging out with my friends because when I got home from school each day it was just me and my parents. It was so empty that day and none of my good friends were there or they were picked up pretty early and I just remember that it was suuuuuuch a boring day and I wished that my parents picked me up earlier. I'm glad they didn't, though, they didn't want me to be scared or upset or worried so they just wanted to treat it like a normal day.

The whole thing is still so surreal and crazy. Every TV channel was the news for what felt like an eternity. The whole country stopped and was on a hiatus, you couldn't escape the news even as a kid. I was a huge reality TV buff back then and 9/11 affected everything. Survivor was going to have a season in Jordan but then that had to get scrapped, the first season of The Amazing Race had to get pushed back a few weeks and the second season of the Mole was put on hiatus for nearly a year I think, and then the second season of Big Brother was wrapping up but had to be put on pause for a good week. We had three episodes a week but then went nearly a week without an episode. It was especially somber with Monica's cousin Tamitha, like Hayden said, who was never accounted for. She reportedly was on the ground floor ready to exit but then went back upstairs to grab her purse, likely unaware that the second tower was going to be hit as well.

And that's not even to mention all the huge changes in airport security, friends of mine who had parents working in NYC and were counting their blessings that their moms and dads made it home alive and well, and just feeling like we lost our safe space. Everyone was on high alert and vulnerable and we didn't feel like we were immune from anything anymore. I can't even describe it properly, it's like how the kids in school now were born in 2001 or later and they don't know what life was like before 9/11. To them it's just another day. It can't be said enough how much life in America changed that day.
...yeah it wasn't just in the day, Macie...obviously outside of a school and its protection was the reality that couldn’t be cushioned from completely because it impacted the whole world with shock and sadness...it was also in the aftermath of things like observing silences etc...what would be the best for the very young children while they were at school ...to observe or not to observe and carry on with their school days in ‘normality’...to discuss in assemblies or not to discuss etc...hard decisions to make, you know...
__________________



Paris is always a good idea...
Ammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #23
AnnieK
Senior Member
 
AnnieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchester
Posts: 8,544


Default

I was in work. One of our candidates rang and said a plane had flown into one of the Towers. We thought it was one of those pleasure flight planes and thought it was an awful accident, then the radio just stopped mid song, the news came on and the whole thing unfolded. I went home and watched the whole thing unfold on sky news in horror.
__________________
AnnieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #24
LeatherTrumpet
User banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 62,114


Default

working for an American nascent tech company in London. Got the news early that a light aircraft had hit, got online (most main news sites crashed) via guardian then we all headed to boardroom and watched it all, several folk had friends and or relatives in the Towers so it was pretty grim..
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:37 AM   #25
Toy Soldier
#VoteTS2022 ✔️
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 17,922
Blog Entries: 1


Default

A very disturbing thought I've just had;

if it happened today, most people wouldn't be particularly shocked.
__________________
"Sometimes the snow comes down in June
Sometimes the sun goes 'round the moon
Just when I thought our chance had passed
You go and save the best for last...
You go and save the best for last."


Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
remember

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:17 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts