Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 28-11-2018, 07:22 AM #1
-

-

Default Cleaning car headlights but like rly lazy and it's cold

OK so we just had the car MOT'd and he passed with flying colours except we got an advisory because the headlights are cloudy.

I know there are ways to clean them with sandpaper and various products... but it sounds like a LOT of work and no one wants that, and it's cold and constantly raining at the moment, so I'm wondering... does anyone know a way to clean them so that they're "basically OK" but requires very little time or effort? The latter part is very important to me.

Thanks.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 07:38 AM #2
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Didn't know you had to do that

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 07:46 AM #3
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
OK so we just had the car MOT'd and he passed with flying colours except we got an advisory because the headlights are cloudy.

I know there are ways to clean them with sandpaper and various products... but it sounds like a LOT of work and no one wants that, and it's cold and constantly raining at the moment, so I'm wondering... does anyone know a way to clean them so that they're "basically OK" but requires very little time or effort? The latter part is very important to me.

Thanks.
yes, remove each one (its not that hard) and use a scouring sponge and toothpaste on insides

If you want it done right then my old friend and on da spectrum pal Chris Fix shows you how

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 08:33 AM #4
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Didn't know you had to do that
Will happen to all headlights eventually but probably faster up here in the frozen north as apparently road salt is a contributing factor, so it happens faster in colder climates. Also it's caused by UV light so I think the months of snow last winter (erodes the protective coating) followed by the months of sun (yellows the plastic) is wot's done us in, they were fine last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
yes, remove each one (its not that hard) and use a scouring sponge and toothpaste on insides

If you want it done right then my old friend and on da spectrum pal Chris Fix shows you how

I'll probably give it a shot in the spring... it just seems like a lot of effort. Look how fast he's moving that sandpaper . I'll try the quicker fix to tide us over.

We were actually looking at getting a new car a couple of weeks ago as I was legit convinced there was about £500-£600 of work needing done to pass the MOT... but had it yesterday and the guy was like "£29.95" and I was like "U wot m8?" and he was like "Nothing needing done, just £29.95 for the MOT". Baffled.

To be fair we got both front tires done just before it and found out that the drivers side one was smooth as silk on the inside... I had been feeling juddering on corners and was convinced it was wheel bearings or suspension but it turns out it was probably just the wheels slipping because they were ****ing bald .

So looks like we're trundling along for another year

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 28-11-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
car, cleaning, cold, headlights, lazy, rly