Notices

Big Brother 19 [Autumn 2018] BB19 UK will be shown on Channel 5. Start-date: Friday, 14th September 2018. Discuss the series here.


-----

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 03:11 AM   #1
Elliot
Senior Member
 
Elliot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,254

Favourites (more):
IAC2018: Fleur East
BB18: Isabelle
CBB17: Gemma Collins
BB8: Charley
Default kenaley talks about being the 'only black girl' in bb19

its old but idt there was a thread on this. interesting read
https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/23/big-b...inner-8066011/
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliyah View Post
I hate vegans.

My cousin is vegan so when I know she's at my nannas I make me and my nanna a ham sandwhich and eat it slowly in front of her. I even tried to force some left over beef from my nannas sunday dinner down her throat before but my nanna went crazy because she started crying
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:37 AM   #2
reece(:
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡
 
reece(:'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England
Posts: 73,804
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
Apprentice 2018: Jackie
Survivor 37: Angelina
CBB22: Natalie Nunn


Send a message via MSN to reece(:
Default

Quote:
‘There were certain times when I was like ‘Oh my God’, and I look at my hair and think maybe I should have worn fake hair,’ she said. ‘That’s just how you feel sometimes, those insecurities.’
__________________

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
Moniqua
angelina is winning
 
Moniqua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: shrek's swamp
Posts: 844

Favourites (more):
BB19: Kenaley
IAC2018: Fleur East
Strictly 2018: Vick Hope
X Factor 2018: Shan Ako
Default

she really was such a light in her series, t'public did ha dirty </3
__________________
Moniqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
Oliver_W
:)
 
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 4,073

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Raph
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece(: View Post
How many white girls would kill for hair like hers, and how much better did she look when she ditched the crap fake hair she did wear?
__________________
.
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
brat.
rockstar
 
brat.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: nun of yer business
Posts: 868

Favourites (more):
BB19: Kenaley
IAC2018: Sair Khan
Strictly 2018: Ashley Roberts
X Factor 2018: Dalton Harris
Default

she is SO underrated
__________________

jw
brat. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
Hayden
Halleloo!
 
Hayden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: 54th & Crenshaw
Posts: 42,314

Favourites (more):
BB19: Kenaley
IAC2018: Fleur East
X Factor 2018: Acacia & Aaliyah
Apprentice 2018: Kayode


Default

Quote:
‘I thought maybe I could be the first one [black woman to win Big Brother], but it’s just the way it always goes, I guess,’ she told us. ‘You kind of just accept it, it just becomes the norm.’

At times Kenaley even felt like she should adhere to the white beauty standards to blend in with her housemates. ‘There were certain times when I was like ‘Oh my God’, and I look at my hair and think maybe I should have worn fake hair,’ she said. ‘That’s just how you feel sometimes, those insecurities.’
__________________
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
y.winter
swapped for scrabble
 
y.winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8,107

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch
CBB20: Sarah Harding


Default

Tbf she gave the public reasons to evict her, so that's something worth acknowledging apart from being a black woman. She didn't deserve to win or getting to the final.
__________________

Spoiler:


Shifra, Tzabar, Ranin. BBIL 2008.
y.winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
BBDodge
Senior Member
 
BBDodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,903

Favourites:
BB19: Lewis F
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.winter View Post
Tbf she gave the public reasons to evict her, so that's something worth acknowledging apart from being a black woman. She didn't deserve to win or getting to the final.
Quite. It's not "the norm", she just wasn't good enough.
BBDodge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #9
brat.
rockstar
 
brat.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: nun of yer business
Posts: 868

Favourites (more):
BB19: Kenaley
IAC2018: Sair Khan
Strictly 2018: Ashley Roberts
X Factor 2018: Dalton Harris
Default

what reasons did she give the public?! she wasn't mean to anyone, gave us entertainment when they did ruddeh show us AND taught the nation how to twerk

and there clearly is a trend when quite often an entertaining black girl is voted out early for no apparent reason, the clearest case was Adjoa who literally did NOTHING wrong and came out to a fook ton of boos and the first boot, sub conscious or not there is definitely underlying racism in the british public
__________________

jw

Last edited by brat.; 03-12-2018 at 09:45 AM.
brat. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
Elliot
Senior Member
 
Elliot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 6,254

Favourites (more):
IAC2018: Fleur East
BB18: Isabelle
CBB17: Gemma Collins
BB8: Charley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.winter View Post
Tbf she gave the public reasons to evict her, so that's something worth acknowledging apart from being a black woman. She didn't deserve to win or getting to the final.
Because Cameron and Zoe were so much more deserving?
The favourite of the series gave plenty of reasons every night that only made people love him more. I highly doubt the reason kenaley didnít do well was purely because she gave tones of reasons to get evicted. Not saying itís because of what she stated in the article but the eviction order this series wasnít telling of how awful or undeserving the evictees were imo. Even the best bits on YouTube most of the comments are praising Anamelia and Tomasz
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliyah View Post
I hate vegans.

My cousin is vegan so when I know she's at my nannas I make me and my nanna a ham sandwhich and eat it slowly in front of her. I even tried to force some left over beef from my nannas sunday dinner down her throat before but my nanna went crazy because she started crying

Last edited by Elliot; 01-12-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #11
y.winter
swapped for scrabble
 
y.winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8,107

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch
CBB20: Sarah Harding


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
Because Cameron and Zoe were so much more deserving?
The favourite of the series gave plenty of reasons every night that only made people love him more. I highly doubt the reason kenaley didnít do well was purely because she gave tones of reasons to get evicted. Not saying itís because of what she stated in the article but the eviction order this series wasnít telling of how awful or undeserving the early evictees were imo
Both Zoe and Cameron didn't face the public vote until the final. I think it was obvious from the very first days that Kenaley is a non-entity at most a supporting act and not a main character. Her eviction was prominent.
Both her and (white) Brooke didn't get enough support in the public poll, but it was only slightly luckier for Brooke (who was more positive, more loved in the house but eventually got evicted first in the final vote).
Isaac was evicted one week before her, but I don't think people would blame it on him being black (because he wasn't a good housemate and that's about it). The same goes for the first couple of evictees being white. I'm not speaking about my personal taste, but all four of them were reasonable enough.
Lewis F was far more interesting than Kenaly, had far more charisma than her, far more dominant and interesting and yes, an eye candy for an audience which is consists a fair share of females and gays - all in all, he stood better chance. Not all polarizing housemates did well on BB, white or black.

Generally speaking, in my opinion, BB's representation of black women was poor. Not in terms of figures, but most of them weren't that good and those who were big characters were understandably disliked by being the same old "black loud diva" template which is controversial (Toya, Natalie, Charley, Sue and the list goes on). Very stereotypical imo. I wish there were more housemates like Deborah for example.
__________________

Spoiler:


Shifra, Tzabar, Ranin. BBIL 2008.
y.winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #12
Scoot
Senior Member
 
Scoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: South Australia
Posts: 264

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
Default

Stunning, lovely girl
She, like fair few of the housemates this series tbf, was pretty quiet but when they shone they really shone.
__________________
Scoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #13
LeatherTrumpet
Grrrrrr
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 57,797


Default

how many white winners have BB Nigeria had?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #14
Scoot
Senior Member
 
Scoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: South Australia
Posts: 264

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
how many white winners have BB Nigeria had?
BB Nigeria has had 3 seasons compared to the UK's 44. They're not comparable.
__________________
Scoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #15
LeatherTrumpet
Grrrrrr
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 57,797


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
BB Nigeria has had 3 seasons compared to the UK's 44. They're not comparable.
so none

how many in BB South Africa?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #16
Scoot
Senior Member
 
Scoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: South Australia
Posts: 264

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
so none

how many in BB South Africa?
Again, 5 total seasons is not comparable to 44.

But for the record none have been won by a white woman and only one woman has won full stop, alongside her partner. Three of the five men who won were white though, so not sure what your point is really.
__________________
Scoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #17
LeatherTrumpet
Grrrrrr
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 57,797


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
Again, 5 total seasons is not comparable to 44.

But for the record none have been won by a white woman and only one woman has won full stop, alongside her partner. Three of the five men who won were white though, so not sure what your point is really.
so no white woman have won in the huge continent of Africa
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #18
brat.
rockstar
 
brat.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: nun of yer business
Posts: 868

Favourites (more):
BB19: Kenaley
IAC2018: Sair Khan
Strictly 2018: Ashley Roberts
X Factor 2018: Dalton Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
so no white woman have won in the huge continent of Africa
i literally don't understand the point you are trying to make?
__________________

jw

Last edited by brat.; 03-12-2018 at 09:58 AM.
brat. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #19
Scoot
Senior Member
 
Scoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: South Australia
Posts: 264

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Sarah Harding
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
so no white woman have won in the huge continent of Africa
What exactly does this have to do with Kenealyís personal experience in the Big Brother UK house?
__________________
Scoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #20
Jigs
Senior Member
 
Jigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: london
Posts: 175

Favourites:
BB19: Tomasz
Apprentice 2018: Jackie
CBB17: Gemma Collins
CBB4: Pete Burns
Default

i fully understand the argument about 0 black female winners out of 44 seasons, but Kenaley was never going to break that cycle. She was boring af.


saying that, I completely sympathize with her in that article I feel like it speaks VOLUMES about the struggles black women face and it definitely shouldn't be undermined or rewritten
__________________
Jigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #21
brat.
rockstar
 
brat.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: nun of yer business
Posts: 868

Favourites (more):
BB19: Kenaley
IAC2018: Sair Khan
Strictly 2018: Ashley Roberts
X Factor 2018: Dalton Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigs View Post
i fully understand the argument about 0 black female winners out of 44 seasons, but Kenaley was never going to break that cycle. She was boring af.
can people please stop branding her as boring, she literally provided 2 out of the only 3/4 big arguments of the series and was constantly cut out for Lewis and Cameron and any time she was shown she was a scream, sure the edit might have made her out to be boring but she wasn't 'boring'
__________________

jw
brat. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bb19, black, girl, kenaley, talks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:09 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts