Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 19-12-2018, 08:34 AM #1
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

Default Belgium's PM quits: Liberal Leader jumps before being pushed over support pro migrant

Charles Michel has quit after he lost the backing of the New Flemish Alliance
They stopped supporting PM after he backed United Nations migration pact
Agreement has angered anti-immigration parties across continent of Europe

Belgium's Prime Minister has quit less than two weeks after his main coalition partner quit in a row over migration, leaving him leading a minority government.

Charles Michel, who took office in 2014, lost New Flemish Alliance (N-VA) backing over his support for the UN migration pact, a source of anger for anti-immigration parties.

The resignation comes two days after demonstrations against the pact in central Brussels descended into scuffles, with police forced to use tear gas and water cannon to restore order.

After a debate in parliament where opposition parties refused to lend their support to keep his government working until legislative elections in May next year, Michel announced he would quit.

'I have taken the decision to submit my resignation and it is my intention to go to see the king immediately,' Michel said, jumping before lawmakers could push him with a motion of no confidence.

Afterwards, King Philippe received Michel but will hold consultations before deciding whether to accept his resignation, the palace said in a statement.

Agriculture Minister Denis Ducarne of Michel's liberal MR party, criticised left wing and green parties for risking 'paralysis and crisis for our country' instead of cooperating.

The Flemish nationalist N-VA, led by powerful Antwerp mayor Bart De Wever, had made political demands which Michel judged 'unacceptable' - notably on possible constitutional changes.

The liberal premier has steadfastly defended the Marrakesh migration pact, saying it presented an 'opportunity for better European and international cooperation.'

The non-binding UN accord, which would promote a common global approach to migrant flows, was initially supported by all four parties in Belgium's coalition.

But the N-VA changed its mind in late October and pulled out of the coalition the day before Michel flew to Morocco to sign the deal.

Belgium has a history of division between wealthier Dutch-speaking Flanders in the north and the run-down French-speaking former industrial heartland of Wallonia in the south.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...overnment.html

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 08:48 AM #2
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I don't get why a left wing party and a nationalist party coalitioned with each other in the first place, it's a recipe for disaster imo.

Out with extreme Politics on both sides of the divide.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 08:52 AM #3
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
I don't get why a left wing party and a nationalist party coalitioned with each other in the first place, it's a recipe for disaster imo.
yes, the whole belgian parliament is crumbling, so basically Michel resigned before his cabinet fell

i can see elections happening next year and i hope they then make a better decision

and also here in my country, majority of the dutch people don't have faith in our PM Rutte anymore, still impressive him being our PM for the last 8 years and only now that the people lose confidence in him

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
belgium, jumps, leader, liberal, migrant, pm, pro, pushed, quits, support