Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:52 AM #51
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Fox also agreed that it's not a safety issue, even if this food did start being used in schools and care homes etc I'm not sure it's any worse than the current cheapest alternatives that they use now. And with an ageing and growing population I think it's legitimate to look at how different methods could help with that. The obesity link is a bit tenuous imo, agree with TS that there are much more important other factors

Fox was suggesting that we probably wouldn't accept these methods anyway and that it was standard stuff for the US to request at the start of a negotiation but not necessarily a major sticking point
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:13 PM #52

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
That not the point though, we shouldn't be importing sub standard products after Brexit just to get 'a deal' otherwise the UK is being held hostage to an even worse scenario than we currently have....I thought the whole point of Brexit was that we held our own destiny in our hands, not that you best take this sub standard crap otherwise we aint playing ......the idea that Brexiteers are even on board with this scenario is pretty laughable...looks like a case of well obvs I won’t be eating it but some other mug can have the pleasure
Who’s saying US meat is “sub standard” though?

Different farming methods to the EU doesn’t automatically mean bad.
If anything you’d think chlorine washed chicken would be safer than just water washed chicken?

As for growth hormone,Is there any evidence that it gets passed on to humans through consumption and if so that it’s in any way harmful?

Maybe the US’ farming techniques are actually ahead of the curve?

Maybe all countries will adopt these practices soon enough anyway?

Alot of this stuff to me seems like project fear 3.0 tbh.

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 03-03-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:32 PM #53
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

British farmers are getting jumpy because they have been protected for decades in the EU. The biggest concern will be that they get priced out the market
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:24 PM #54
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Who’s saying US meat is “sub standard” though?

Different farming methods to the EU doesn’t automatically mean bad.
If anything you’d think chlorine washed chicken would be safer than just water washed chicken?

As for growth hormone,Is there any evidence that it gets passed on to humans through consumption and if so that it’s in any way harmful?

Maybe the US’ farming techniques are actually ahead of the curve?

Maybe all countries will adopt these practices soon enough anyway?

Alot of this stuff to me seems like project fear 3.0 tbh.
thats alot of ifs and buts, will you be feeding your children the beef full of hormones?

also how do you feel about American dictating the terms of the deal because that is how its looking from where I am sitting

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:25 PM #55
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Fox also agreed that it's not a safety issue, even if this food did start being used in schools and care homes etc I'm not sure it's any worse than the current cheapest alternatives that they use now. And with an ageing and growing population I think it's legitimate to look at how different methods could help with that. The obesity link is a bit tenuous imo, agree with TS that there are much more important other factors

Fox was suggesting that we probably wouldn't accept these methods anyway and that it was standard stuff for the US to request at the start of a negotiation but not necessarily a major sticking point
The obesity link is tenuous

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 03-03-2019, 06:47 PM #56
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The obesity link is tenuous
Well yeah the only place I've seen the two linked is on here, what's the evidence that these methods contribute to obesity?
Old 03-03-2019, 06:59 PM #57
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well yeah the only place I've seen the two linked is on here, what's the evidence that these methods contribute to obesity?
Read and digest (pardon the pun) what I have actually posted, I never said these methods contribute to obesity, I said we should learn from what we have already imported from the US...ie Mc Donalds, KFC, hotdogs, doughnuts...etc.............ect.........etc......

what I actually posted, not sure why this wasn't clear to you?

Should we not be learning from our past mistakes? Obesity in Britain is down to our love and import of many things American in particular their fast food chains

Last edited by Cherie; 03-03-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:00 PM #58
-

-

The "supersize" obesity problem in the US is down to hydrogenated fats, HFCS and the culture of the food service industry supplying huge portions as standard. Oh and the weird tenancy to add sugar to products that don't need it, like bread and milk. There's not really any mystery around it, these things are already known. But sugar has always been an abundant and cheap energy source in the US so it's sort of baked into ( ) their culture.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:03 PM #59
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
The "supersize" obesity problem in the US is down to hydrogenated fats, HFCS and the culture of the food service industry supplying huge portions as standard. Oh and the weird tenancy to add sugar to products that don't need it, like bread and milk. There's not really any mystery around it, these things are already known. But sugar has always been an abundant and cheap energy source in the US so it's sort of baked into ( ) their culture.
we wont learn from that though will we, we NEED a trade deal, so lets just bring even more ****ty stuff in so we can stretch the health service even more, then we can buy even more of their over priced pharmaceuticals and privatise the NHS because the state wont be able to cope. YAY!

Last edited by Cherie; 03-03-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:51 PM #60
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Read and digest (pardon the pun) what I have actually posted, I never said these methods contribute to obesity, I said we should learn from what we have already imported from the US...ie Mc Donalds, KFC, hotdogs, doughnuts...etc.............ect.........etc......

what I actually posted, not sure why this wasn't clear to you?

Should we not be learning from our past mistakes? Obesity in Britain is down to our love and import of many things American in particular their fast food chains
Stuff the whole world has imported, its not really relevant to this particular issue of farming methods so yeah it still seems pretty tenuous to me..
Old 03-03-2019, 09:53 PM #61
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Should we never import anything from the US ever again because some families got fat from eating McDonald's every day
Old 03-03-2019, 10:22 PM #62

Quote:
This is a stretch. We have junk food and would have junk food regardless of if American franchises can sell their own junk food over here.

Most of it tastes and is made differently to how it is done in the US anyway so there is no connection to the type of thing they're proposing now.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:46 AM #63
-

-

Tbqfh good ol' British fish & chips are far worse than most meals from KFC or McDonald's... And things like Chinese and Indian take-aways aren't much better.

I just think this argument is off the mark simply because it misunderstands the reasons for bad relationships with food and related health / weight problems. People overeat for comfort and eat badly because of lifestyle. The type of food and where it came from is largely irrelevant.

The only slightly relevant factor is the price and availability; there is an issue in the US with huge portion sizes being expected for a reasonable price. But... Let's be honest here... No matter what else happens with Brexit, I don't think food getting CHEAPER is a realistic outcome. We'll in fact be very lucky if it doesn't become significantly more expensive.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:59 AM #64
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Should we never import anything from the US ever again because some families got fat from eating McDonald's every day
You are missing my point, obesity is a huge drain on the NHS and a leading cause of cancer, whats the point of leaving one Union where we are dictated only to replace it by another even worse dictator, these foods are banned for a reason and not available in the EU, I thought the whole point of leaving the EU was so we could make our own deals, be in charge of our own destiny yadda yadda …..

also I have to laugh at all the...well I won't be buying it posts and the consumer will have the choice......there is a serious hint of I'm alright Jack raising its head there

Last edited by Cherie; 04-03-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:04 AM #65
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Tbqfh good ol' British fish & chips are far worse than most meals from KFC or McDonald's... And things like Chinese and Indian take-aways aren't much better.

I just think this argument is off the mark simply because it misunderstands the reasons for bad relationships with food and related health / weight problems. People overeat for comfort and eat badly because of lifestyle. The type of food and where it came from is largely irrelevant.

The only slightly relevant factor is the price and availability; there is an issue in the US with huge portion sizes being expected for a reasonable price. But... Let's be honest here... No matter what else happens with Brexit, I don't think food getting CHEAPER is a realistic outcome. We'll in fact be very lucky if it doesn't become significantly more expensive.

Yes and when the deals with India and China include sending banned foods or drugs to the UK I will raise it, I don't know what argument you are trying to make as you keep going off in non relatable tangents

Old 04-03-2019, 08:07 AM #66
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

The only way the UK will benefit economically from leaving the EU is by reducing standards in order to reduce production costs. Give those outside of the EU the cheap **** they crave. This lowering of standards works both ways though in that we will be over run with complete tosh. You pay your money and you take your choice. I'm sure euro goods will still be available, just a lot more expensive.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:11 AM #67
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

just seen this blog from DR and she has put it much better than I ever will....hope you don't mind me reproducing it here..

rexit was described by US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross as a “God-given opportunity” to take business from the UK, while Britain is facing a “period of confusion”.

We have outsourced ourselves for decades to the EU and subsequently have very little experience on how to make good trade deals and because of the imbalance of market size, that puts us in a terrible bargaining position. This could well end up as a game of bullying and when it comes to bullying, the larger guy usually wins.

What we are going to end up with is American rabid free traders because most people won’t be willing to pay for expensive cuts of British meat and dairy products. Our own prices will cripple the economic sustainability of large parts of our farming and that’s why the American food chain will move in with ease. The more we are forced to close down, the more unaffordable our meat and dairy products will become.

Remember what happened when Thatcher removed the tariffs from imported coal? This is going to be the same story again and again and for what… for some short term gain to a small number of people at the top.

And for those worried about chlorinated chicken (and so you should be), its not just food. Food labelling, in fact any labelling will have to be deregulated. Changes in our NHS system will almost certainly happen. Undermining our already crippled NHS by charging for pharmaceutical products more in line with America will ensure our NHS fails. It means changing our laws, our standards. Compromising our environment, giving up more and more control to the big boy.

Should we be scared, I mean could we be cleaned out like Wilbur Ross is so gleefully suggesting? As far as I can see it, we are jumping from one union straight into another… out of the frying pan into the fire. Its like we have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:00 AM #68
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

The Duchess of Sussex has entered the post-Brexit trade deal row over chlorine-washed chicken from America.
Californian-born Meghan yesterday expressed her clear unease about ‘industrial US food systems’ and how ‘badly wrong the US food systems are’.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:02 AM #69

Quote:
The Duchess of Sussex has entered the post-Brexit trade deal row over chlorine-washed chicken from America.
Californian-born Meghan yesterday expressed her clear unease about ‘industrial US food systems’ and how ‘badly wrong the US food systems are’.

Of course she would
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:27 AM #70
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Of course she would
well she is better placed than most of us to comment

Old 06-03-2019, 10:04 AM #71
-

-

Quote:
Has no one told her yet that the Royals aren't supposed to take political sides? Maybe after she has her baby she'll learn how to look pretty and stay quiet . Harry needs to get his house in order and Kate needs to ramp up the Stepford lessons, this is unacceptable loud-mouthery.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 06-03-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:09 AM #72
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Has no one told her yet that the Royals aren't supposed to take political sides? Maybe after she has her baby she'll learn how to look pretty and stay quiet . Harry needs to get his house in order and Kate needs to ramp up the Stepford lessons, this is unacceptable loud-mouthery.
will someone tell her to play by the rules

Old 06-03-2019, 10:11 AM #73
-

-

Quote:
will someone tell her to play by the rules
I know Cherie! These Americans, coming in here, taking our princes, loudly stating their opinions. Chlorinating our chicken and Momo'ing our children
Old 06-03-2019, 11:36 AM #74
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I know Cherie! These Americans, coming in here, taking our princes, loudly stating their opinions. Chlorinating our chicken and Momo'ing our children

Old 06-03-2019, 11:53 AM #75
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

No one cares what Meghan thinks. Actresses are just there to say the words written by more intelligent people.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
beef, chicken, chlorinated, gm, growth, hormones, import, produce