Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:55 PM #51
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Well not to do a Livia and jobgasm, but if you understand odds and probability, you also understand that increasing the number of fixed variables doesn't change the fact that more chances = more likelihood. I mean if you want actual figures;

Condom failure is 98% (thus odds of failure are 50/1)

The pill has a "perfect" (lab) rate of 99% but a "real terms" rate of 91%, we'll split the difference and call that 95% or 20/1

The combined odds therefore are 50/1x20/1 = 1000/1, or 99.99% effective.

Which means if a couple is together for 10 years and has sex 100 times per year, using condoms and the pill, it is probable that they will experience one failure. I personally think with the best will in the world perfect usage is unlikely and even that 1000/1 figure is unrealistic, but I suppose with extreme vigilance possible. That doesn't really mean much in real world scenarios, though.

As most are only using one form of contraception the failure rate is 1 or 2 in 100, which means if a couple has sex 100 times a year, they will have 1 or 2 failures a year. If they have sex 200 times a year, they will have 2 to 4 failures. And so on. Again... you literally cannot argue against the maths of probability, it's not possible. If it was the scumbags I work for wouldn't be in business .
So ****ing patronising.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:04 PM #52

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

What if the man wanted the fetus aborted and the woman refused...would he still be expected to pay for maintenence ?
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:05 PM #53
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
So ****ing patronising.
Well, I suppose "so ****ing patronising" isn't any worse a counter-argument than "Argh I've been attacked".
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:13 PM #54
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Well, I suppose "so ****ing patronising" isn't any worse a counter-argument than "Argh I've been attacked".
Because everything you've come at me with has basically been to attack my experiences and launching into an entry level GCSE maths lesson about probability won't change that.

Not everybody in the world will experience a pregnancy scare and vice versa, even the most secure methods will fail very occasionally but neither are guarantees. Probability is not an exact science and you can't try to rubbish my life because I've not experienced a pregnancy scare just because the odds are that it's possible that I would at some point in life.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:24 PM #55
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Because everything you've come at me with has basically been to attack my experiences and launching into an entry level GCSE maths lesson about probability won't change that.
Everything I've been coming at you with has been an attack on your experiences, because experiences aren't universal, and yet your opening to this entire discussion was the pointed comment that;

Quote:
I've never gotten anyone pregnant because I'm careful.
A statement which is judgemental, attacks the experiences of others by (falsely) implying that those who have gotten pregnant or gotten others pregnant have NOT been careful, and ironically assumes that your own experience that being careful = no pregnancies is universal.

I'd suggest that if you don't want to feel attacked or patronised, you don't enter discussions with statements that are patronising and combative, and then follow it up with aggressive and belittling (or this was the goal, I'm sure) quips about GCSE maths because you're "feeling patronised" and want to aggressively re-assert. I'm well aware of my own posting style and intentions and I'm rarely bothered by yours Dezzy, but I'm not up for the hypocrisy.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
abortion, clinic, girlfriend, man, permission, sues, usa