Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 25-03-2019, 10:06 PM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB15: Katie Price

Favourites (more):
Default Birmingham school should resume LGBT lessons ex-Ofsted chief says

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...hief?CMP=fb_gu

A Birmingham primary school that suspended lessons about LGBT rights following protests by parents should resume them, the former head of the schools watchdog has said.

“Parents of pupils at Parkfield community school in Saltley have staged weekly protests over the lessons, which they claim promote gay and transgender lifestyles. Earlier this month, hundreds of mainly Muslim children, aged between four and 11, were withdrawn from the school for the day.”

Last edited by TomC; 25-03-2019 at 10:07 PM.
TomC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:08 PM #2

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

So glad this case is getting such recognition. There’s no place for this ignorance, bigotry and downright stupidity in this country
Old 25-03-2019, 10:21 PM #3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
So glad this case is getting such recognition. There’s no place for this ignorance, bigotry and downright stupidity in this country
How old are you?

I'm 49.

When I was at primary school I got taught maths and the usual stuff...sex came in at secondary school...but I did get me balls felt by a stranger in p6 or 4.

So what's the point in distracting the education of kids with **** like this before they are at an age when it might actually effect them.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:24 PM #4

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
How old are you?

I'm 49.

When I was at primary school I got taught maths and the usual stuff...sex came in at secondary school...but I did get me balls felt by a stranger in p6 or 4.

So what's the point in distracting the education of kids with **** like this before they are at an age when it might actually effect them.
It’s not about ‘sex’, don’t be imbecilic. It’s about relationships. But as a matter of fact, we did get basic sex education in primary school a decade ago. It certainly did us nothing but good.

Last edited by TomC; 25-03-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 25-03-2019, 10:35 PM #5

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It’s not about ‘sex’, don’t be imbecilic. It’s about relationships. But as a matter of fact, we did get basic sex education in primary school a decade ago. It certainly did us nothing but good.
Oh give over...it's got nothing but appeasing a minority in its agenda....

I would feel patronised if I was in their shoes.
Old 25-03-2019, 10:41 PM #6
Banned

Banned

Quote:
How old are you?

I'm 49.

They aren't teaching kids the ins and outs of gay sex, it's literally just story books in which the child might have two moms or two dads. That's it.

I utterly despise the attitude that simply talking about gay people existing with children is seen as inappropriate.

The school should tell those parents to **** off and reinstate the lessons, any more absences on this issue should be fined. If bigots use religion as their excuse, tell them to go to a faith school instead.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:42 PM #7
Banned

Banned

Quote:

Pray tell, what is this agenda you oppose so much, I really want to know.
Old 25-03-2019, 10:46 PM #8

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Absolutely not. It’s about educating everyone, and helping a minority greatly. It doesn’t harm ANYONE, except for bigoted parents’ fragile sensibilities.

Who would feel patronised?
Old 25-03-2019, 10:49 PM #9
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Cancelling the LGBT lessons was also appeasing a minority, one who it could be argued would be more in need of learning that LGBT people are just like everyone else.

Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:50 PM #10

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Pray tell, what is this agenda you oppose so much, I really want to know.
The agenda of having to appease minorities in the uk these days...

Imo. ..it patronises them. And I find that humiliating and sad for the minorities that governments have to have rules and regulations that further separate them from the percieved norm...do you honestly think a person that's made thier mind up is suddenly going to change thier minds? Cause I don't!

So from my view point.....it's a case of why point out a difference to a child when the child may not care if thier is a difference anyway?
Old 25-03-2019, 10:52 PM #11

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Cancelling the LGBT lessons was also appeasing a minority, one who it could be argued would be more in need of learning that LGBT people are just like everyone else.
They are beyond help...pointing it out shows the future generation that thier is a difference
Old 25-03-2019, 10:54 PM #12
Banned

Banned

Quote:
The agenda of having to appease minorities in the uk these days...

Imo. ..it patronises them. And I find that humiliating and sad for the minorities that governments have to have rules and regulations that further separate them from the percieved norm...do you honestly think a person that's made thier mind up is suddenly going to change thier minds? Cause I don't!

So from my view point.....it's a case of why point out a difference to a child when the child may not care if thier is a difference anyway?
So you think teaching acceptance of gay people is 'appeasing' a minority?
Old 25-03-2019, 10:59 PM #13

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
So you think teaching acceptance of gay people is 'appeasing' a minority?
I don't see a need to teach the acceptence of gay people in the schools of the United Kingdom. ..unless something drastic has happened to our pupils since I was a kid then it should all be fine....or is this cause there are so many more children being brought up in the uk to believe that homosexuality or anything else that isn't seen as manly is a criminal offence punishable by being hurled from high story buildings?
Old 25-03-2019, 11:06 PM #14
Banned

Banned

Quote:
I don't see a need to teach the acceptence of gay people in the schools of the United Kingdom. ..unless something drastic has happened to our pupils since I was a kid then it should all be fine....or is this cause there are so many more children being brought up in the uk to believe that homosexuality or anything else that isn't seen as manly is a criminal offence punishable by being hurled from high story buildings?
Yes, because when we were kids, the world was so accepting... I left school in 2006 and things have changed and become way more accepting in that short window of time so if you are older and you're trying to make out that people have always been accepting of homosexuality then, lol, you don't know the first thing you're talking about.

What's the problem with telling kids that some families have same sex parents and others don't? That's literally all there is to it but teaching that to kids can save lives because it normalisses homsexuality and gives gay kids something that they have often gone without, a feeling of acceptance and security in who they are.

There are no bad sides to this, the only people that think otherwise are people who take issue with homosexuality itself and refer to it as an 'agenda'....
Old 25-03-2019, 11:13 PM #15

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

The kids don't need patronised to this extent...little Johnny is still going to get bullied in the playground if he says he used to have a dad that's now demanding to be called mum...

All its doing is pointing out further things for school bullies to pick on someone for. Cause it makes that child feel like he or she can speak about it...the bully is always perched.
Old 25-03-2019, 11:16 PM #16

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

There are no bad sides to this, the only people that think otherwise are people who take issue with homosexuality itself and refer to it as an 'agenda'....

I hope my post above helps you with your paranoia.

Last edited by parmnion; 25-03-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 25-03-2019, 11:38 PM #17

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
What's the problem with telling kids that some families have same sex parents and others don't? That's literally all there is to it but teaching that to kids can save lives because it normalisses homsexuality and gives gay kids something that they have often gone without, a feeling of acceptance and security in who they are.
Exactly.

Quote:
The kids don't need patronised to this extent...little Johnny is still going to get bullied in the playground if he says he used to have a dad that's now demanding to be called mum...

All its doing is pointing out further things for school bullies to pick on someone for. Cause it makes that child feel like he or she can speak about it...the bully is always perched.
In the same way, this education normalises differences to bullies, rather than ‘pointing out differences’. The prejudice that bullying is based on almost always starts at home, and this kind of education actually brings the class together, normalising the issue.
Old 25-03-2019, 11:48 PM #18

Quote:

The bullying involving stuff like this, kids having "Gay!!" shouted at them as an insult would actually stop with education like this. Making gay as normal and as casual as straight.

To say, "it should be fine" as though there's no issue, when the big uproar from a bigoted older generation at this school proves it is still an issue in need of addressing.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 11:54 PM #19

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Exactly.

In the same way, this education normalises differences to bullies, rather than ‘pointing out differences’. The prejudice that bullying is based on almost always starts at home, and this kind of education actually brings the class together, normalising the issue.

No, the bully is a bully due to his home life, perhaps beatings from older siblings or father's....girls thinking they are it in a gang perhaps..basically the come in all shapes and sizes...but this is primary school age...and there is only one or two bullies each year..and they will always be bullies.

The bullied kid will be bullied by the bully because he or she is the only kid at school that has spoken up about his dad being mum or anything else that makes him stand out from the norm to the bully.

They ain't helping **** imo.
Old 25-03-2019, 11:57 PM #20
No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

No filter

Favourites (more):

It’s about teaching kids that homophobia and discrimination is wrong, there is no way anyone with half a brain cell can object to that.
Do you realise how many gay teens consider or even commit suicide because of their sexuality because of the amount of **** they get from bullying? This aims to eradicate that. It shouldn’t even be up for discussion. Any parent objecting to this should be told that their child isn’t needed at the school if that is the attitude they want to install in them, because yes, it is the parents that will ultimately cement that in their child.
Old 25-03-2019, 11:59 PM #21
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No, the bully is a bully due to his home life, perhaps beatings from older siblings or father's....girls thinking they are it in a gang perhaps..basically the come in all shapes and sizes...but this is primary school age...and there is only one or two bullies each year..and they will always be bullies.

The bullied kid will be bullied by the bully because he or she is the only kid at school that has spoken up about his dad being mum or anything else that makes him stand out from the norm to the bully.

They ain't helping **** imo.
Granted - most bullies are bullies because they have crappy lives, and might not actually care if someone is gay, but is using as an "excuse" to target someone.

But it's not just about curing bullies. It's about making people who might otherwise see homosexuality as wrong or sinful realise there's nothing wrong with it.

Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 12:00 AM #22

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob! View Post
It’s about teaching kids that homophobia and discrimination is wrong, there is no way anyone with half a brain cell can object to that.
Do you realise how many gay teens consider or even commit suicide because of their sexuality because of the amount of **** they get from bullying? This aims to eradicate that. It shouldn’t even be up for discussion. Any parent objecting to this should be told that their child isn’t needed at the school if that is the attitude they want to install in them, because yes, it is the parents that will ultimately cement that in their child.
If you took the attitude of telling the parents that thier parent isn't needed at that school their wouldn't be many kids left in school in certain areas of certain cities.
Old 26-03-2019, 12:02 AM #23

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Granted - most bullies are bullies because they have crappy lives, and might not actually care if someone is gay, but is using as an "excuse" to target someone.

But it's not just about curing bullies. It's about making people who might otherwise see homosexuality as wrong or sinful realise there's nothing wrong with it.
12 yr old kids?

Just cancel assembly it will work out if they are left without anything being said to them.

Last edited by parmnion; 26-03-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 26-03-2019, 12:08 AM #24
No filter

Favourites (more):

No filter

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If you took the attitude of telling the parents that thier parent isn't needed at that school their wouldn't be many kids left in school in certain areas of certain cities.
Well, no, because if the parent was the sort of person who would willingly take their child out of a school because said school is trying to teach their children that homophobia is wrong, that's on the parent.
Old 26-03-2019, 12:20 AM #25
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

This was the ex ofsted chief talking, not the current one.

Anyway, let's see how it plays out. It's a power struggle between equality and pandering to religious prejudice. I'd not hold my breath with tories in charge.

Last edited by Twosugars; 26-03-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
birmingham, chief, exofsted, lessons, lgbt, resume, school