Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 27-06-2019, 01:30 PM #1
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Default Labour anti-Semitism row: Chris Williamson allowed back into party

An MP has been allowed back into Labour after an investigation into comments he made about the party's handling of anti-Semitism allegations.

Chris Williamson, MP for Derby North, was suspended in February after saying Labour had been "too apologetic" in the face of criticism on the issue.

A Labour source said Mr Williamson was found to have breached party rules and was given a formal sanction.

They said he could face further action if he repeats any similar behaviour.

Mr Williamson said he was pleased to have been allowed back into the party and had been "inundated with overwhelming messages of support from all over the country".

He told BBC Radio Derby: "Anybody who knows me, who knows my record, knows I'm someone who has stood up against bigotry throughout my political life and indeed beforehand."

He added that some of the comments made about his re-admission had been "really quite offensive and incredibly hurtful".

A Labour spokesperson said the party took all complaints "extremely seriously", but they could not comment on individual cases.

Labour is being formally investigated by the Equality and Human Rights Commission over allegations of anti-Semitism.

The watchdog told the party in March it had received a number of complaints and was considering its next steps.

But it confirmed in May it would be launching a probe into whether Labour had "unlawfully discriminated against, harassed or victimised people because they are Jewish".

A Labour source said the suspension was lifted following a hearing of the party's National Executive Committee (NEC) anti-Semitism panel, which was advised by an independent barrister.

But the national chair of the Jewish Labour Movement, Mike Katz, said the decision "stinks" and showed the "moral turpitude" the party was in.

The vice president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, Amanda Bowman, said it was "an utter disgrace" to allow Mr Williamson back in, and was "more damning evidence" of anti-Semitism in the party.

Karen Pollock, the chief executive of the Holocaust Educational Trust was critical of the decision, asking people to "speak up" and "do something".

And Labour MP Margaret Hodge condemned the decision as "unbelievable", and said the party was "turning a blind eye to Jew-hate".

"This shows that the complaints process is a complete sham," she tweeted. "This is not zero tolerance. Every decent Labour Party member must challenge this."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48778129

-----

Over 100 labour MP's have signed a letter voicing their disgust and asking for the decision to be withdrawn.

Corbyn was supposed to make a public statement on it, but is apparently in hiding
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 01:51 PM #2

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
An MP has been allowed back into Labour after an investigation into comments he made about the party's handling of anti-Semitism allegations.

Chris Williamson, MP for Derby North, was suspended in February after saying Labour had been "too apologetic" in the face of criticism on the issue.

A Labour source said Mr Williamson was found to have breached party rules and was given a formal sanction.

They said he could face further action if he repeats any similar behaviour.

Mr Williamson said he was pleased to have been allowed back into the party and had been "inundated with overwhelming messages of support from all over the country".

He told BBC Radio Derby: "Anybody who knows me, who knows my record, knows I'm someone who has stood up against bigotry throughout my political life and indeed beforehand."

He added that some of the comments made about his re-admission had been "really quite offensive and incredibly hurtful".

A Labour spokesperson said the party took all complaints "extremely seriously", but they could not comment on individual cases.

Labour is being formally investigated by the Equality and Human Rights Commission over allegations of anti-Semitism.

The watchdog told the party in March it had received a number of complaints and was considering its next steps.

But it confirmed in May it would be launching a probe into whether Labour had "unlawfully discriminated against, harassed or victimised people because they are Jewish".

A Labour source said the suspension was lifted following a hearing of the party's National Executive Committee (NEC) anti-Semitism panel, which was advised by an independent barrister.

But the national chair of the Jewish Labour Movement, Mike Katz, said the decision "stinks" and showed the "moral turpitude" the party was in.

The vice president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, Amanda Bowman, said it was "an utter disgrace" to allow Mr Williamson back in, and was "more damning evidence" of anti-Semitism in the party.

Karen Pollock, the chief executive of the Holocaust Educational Trust was critical of the decision, asking people to "speak up" and "do something".

And Labour MP Margaret Hodge condemned the decision as "unbelievable", and said the party was "turning a blind eye to Jew-hate".

"This shows that the complaints process is a complete sham," she tweeted. "This is not zero tolerance. Every decent Labour Party member must challenge this."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48778129

-----

Over 100 labour MP's have signed a letter voicing their disgust and asking for the decision to be withdrawn.

Corbyn was supposed to make a public statement on it, but is apparently in hiding
He better not be in hiding with Boris

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 03:22 PM #3
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

I'm stunned.
As a Labour Party member, I can't defend this move.

Thankfully there is a full outside independent investigation into this anti semitism issue as to the Party.
Which I think should always be done.
No Parties should just investigate themselves.

My view would have been on the lines of leave him suspended until that's completed, since suspension was considered appropriate following his remarks.

Last edited by joeysteele; 27-06-2019 at 03:39 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 03:37 PM #4

Labour are ready for for a Snap Election.
So they demanded him back in Parliament
its that simple Joey

Last edited by arista; 27-06-2019 at 03:43 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 03:55 PM #5
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I am not surprised. I'm not sure of the exact figure for Labour members excluded for anti-Semitism and then reinstated, but there are quite a few of them. I look forward to the findings of Labour's investigation by the Equalities and Human Rights Commission.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 03:58 PM #6
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I'm stunned.
As a Labour Party member, I can't defend this move.

Thankfully there is a full outside independent investigation into this anti semitism issue as to the Party.
Which I think should always be done.
No Parties should just investigate themselves.

My view would have been on the lines of leave him suspended until that's completed, since suspension was considered appropriate following his remarks.
I'm sure most Labour supporters would be scratching their heads at the decision. Who would want to be a politician? Of any party....
Old 27-06-2019, 06:33 PM #7
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I'm sure most Labour supporters would be scratching their heads at the decision. Who would want to be a politician? Of any party....
Many are Livia.

I know now on politics you and I are wide apart.. I also get your intense dislike of Corbyn.

You know your stuff however and on this anti semitism.
I am stunned and appalled at how poor the process has been by Labour on the issue.

I have many Jewish friends.
I am furious that any Party now, worse still the Party I'm in.
Has not only had suspicion of but actually had to take even just moderate action against clear anti semetic views.
Which maybe ought to have been much more than moderate.

It shouldn't be tolerated anywhere in any form.
It is and should be shameful.

It's why I'm glad this independent investigation is taking place and I hope it leaves no stone unturned, as to anything and anyone in the Party.

It's a disgrace Jewish individuals or communities have had to come across this, in the UK, disgraceful.
Old 27-06-2019, 06:58 PM #8
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

An absolute disgrace. Corbyn's leadership again falls short.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 06:59 PM #9
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Antisemitism is a growing issue, there are independent studies to back it up and the decision makers in the labour party are enabling it if not actually encouraging it or participating directly.

However, there is a wider problem of intolerance in general. It's not even just about religion or race, it's about any subject that people have opposing opinions on. It's the worst i've seen in my lifetime and it looks to be getting worse, not better.
Old 27-06-2019, 07:39 PM #10
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Antisemitism is a growing issue, there are independent studies to back it up and the decision makers in the labour party are enabling it if not actually encouraging it or participating directly.

However, there is a wider problem of intolerance in general. It's not even just about religion or race, it's about any subject that people have opposing opinions on. It's the worst i've seen in my lifetime and it looks to be getting worse, not better.
Interested in those studies you mentioned. Could you suggest anything?
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 05:39 AM #11
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Interested in those studies you mentioned. Could you suggest anything?
here is a starter

https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/06/04/...emitism-europe

With that report in mind, and Corbyn and the labour party exec knowing this, for me, it shows the labour party by their actions are not doing anything meaningful to address the issue. Note how quick Corbyn was to come out in quick vocal support of the Iranians recently, so when he wants to, he can speak out quick enough

Last edited by bitontheslide; 28-06-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 28-06-2019, 08:02 AM #12
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
here is a starter

https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/06/04/...emitism-europe

With that report in mind, and Corbyn and the labour party exec knowing this, for me, it shows the labour party by their actions are not doing anything meaningful to address the issue. Note how quick Corbyn was to come out in quick vocal support of the Iranians recently, so when he wants to, he can speak out quick enough

While I agree the Labour leader and the national executive have not done anywhere near enough.
It's not the case that nothing has been done.

There have been expulsions from the Party but more are needed.

To generalise the Labour party doing nothing is unfair.
To the Margaret Hodges etc; to the MPs even now exclaiming outrage, also Labour peers too.
Even members of the party like myself, who were also demanding for much more to be done.
The Labour party is NOT just the leader and national executive.

This sensitive and vitally important issue, needs dealing with.
One of the problems is when the organisation complained against, investigates itself.
For me that does not work.

I applauded the day it was said that an independent investigation was going to be done as to this issue.
That investigation will conclude how bad the issue is, if there are things not being dealt with, what should be done now and in the future.

Also IF there is any evidence of any actual criminal intent, then those people need hauling to the courts.
However this will be a rightly intrusive and thorough investigation and not some pre set conditions of a Party internal one.
So that is satisfying to know now.

As to this guy, over 100 Labour MPs and peers have condemned his reinstatement already.

I agree with what was said on Question time last night, that Corbyn needs to really realise this is a disgrace affecting the, name, decency and support of the Party.
He should address the national executive and demand a stronger less tolerant line on this extremely serious issue.

All Labour leaders however have had difficulties with the national executive.
That needs looking at too in my view.

However, great this full independent investigation is taking place.
It's in my view what should be done as a first action.

As to all Parties, as to complaints of racism, antisemitism,Islamaphobia or even other human rights issues.
I'd take that rule in the wider field too, as to Hospital trusts investigating themselves too, after complaints.
Where whitewashing takes place probably more often than not.

Take investigations such as this antisemitism and other serious issues out the whichever Party's hands it is.
Have independent investigative authorities to take it over once the problem is known.

Anyone or anything complained about, only investigating themselves or itself, is never likely to reach the desired or in any way right result.

Last edited by joeysteele; 28-06-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 28-06-2019, 10:38 AM #13

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Another day, another anti-semitism case from Labour
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 10:43 AM #14
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I would really like to see the figures for how many expelled members have been quietly reinstated.
Old 28-06-2019, 10:55 AM #15
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I would really like to see the figures for how many expelled members have been quietly reinstated.
Well I'm fairly sure the independent investigation may in fact reveal that.

With this investigation, Labour would be foolish to try to cover anything.
So I hope you get your answer to that, and I go further.
If there are any who were genuinely proven to be antisemitic but then re-admitted, then I'm sure this independent investigation will result in them being expelled again.
Rightly so too 100%.

To NM, this Williamson issue is not necessarily that he is antisemitic but that he has supported expelled individuals who have been found to be so.

I still think that is bad enough.

However this is NOT a new antisemitic case at all, re Williamson, it is an old case.
However, I think he should have remained suspended at least, until after this independent and for me, welcome proper investigation.
Old 29-06-2019, 08:45 AM #16

Well he did not last long
They have removed his Whip , again

[Chris Williamson: Labour U-turn over decision
to readmit antisemitism row MP
]

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-mp...ssion-11750930
Old 29-06-2019, 09:01 AM #17
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Well he did not last long
They have removed his Whip , again

[Chris Williamson: Labour U-turn over decision
to readmit antisemitism row MP
]

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-mp...ssion-11750930
There's been a strong outcry at his reinstatement by MPs, Peers and in part the membership too.

It was the right thing to do, no matter the dressing put onto the new action against him.
It's good the outcry has been listened to and acted on.
Old 29-06-2019, 09:11 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
There's been a strong outcry at his reinstatement by MPs, Peers and in part the membership too.

It was the right thing to do, no matter the dressing put onto the new action against him.
It's good the outcry has been listened to and acted on.

Yes it was the number of Labour MP's
Angry, well over 100
Old 29-06-2019, 10:46 AM #19
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I was pleased to see that this decision has been reversed because, mainly, of the backlash from Labour MPs and piers. Good for them.
Old 29-06-2019, 10:54 AM #20

Old 29-06-2019, 11:23 AM #21
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

there is more to all this than meets the eye. I hope the full story comes out
Old 29-06-2019, 03:16 PM #22
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun

Very glad they have reversed their decision, he should not be allowed in the party. Shame that it took so much pressure though

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote