Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 19-07-2019, 03:56 PM #1
Banned

Banned

Default Scarlett Johanssen's casting controversy

Quote:
Scarlett Johansson has addressed the casting controversies she became embroiled in over the past few years, maintaining that she should be “allowed to play anyone”.

In 2018, the actor stepped down from playing a trans male character in new film Rub & Tug after receiving widespread backlash for the casting decision.

The move angered many trans actors and queer activists, who argued that there was an entire roster of trans male actors to play the role instead of her.

Johansson had earlier acknowledged those who criticised her decision to star in the film with a statement that read: “Tell them that they can be directed to Jeffrey Tambor, Jared Leto, and Felicity Huffman’s reps for comment.”

She later called her comments “insensitive” and said: “Our cultural understanding of transgender people continues to advance, and I’ve learned a lot from the community since making my first statement about my casting.”

Now, in a new interview with As If magazine – which the Avengers: Endgame star is now claiming has been “edited for clickbait” – said: “You know, as an actor I should be allowed to play any person, or any tree, or any animal because that is my job and the requirements of my job.”

“I feel like it’s a trend in my business and it needs to happen for various social reasons, yet there are times it does get uncomfortable when it affects the art because I feel art should be free of restrictions,” Johansson continued, adding that “society would be more connected if we just allowed others to have their own feelings and not expect everyone to feel the way we do”.

Just one year earlier, criticism was sparked upon the announcement Johansson was to play the lead in a live-action version of Japanese anime Ghost in the Shell; fans accused it of being another example of Hollywood “whitewashing”.

Just one year earlier, criticism was sparked upon the announcement Johansson was to play the lead in a live-action version of Japanese anime Ghost in the Shell; fans accused it of being another example of Hollywood “whitewashing”.

Scarlett Johansson says controversial casting comments were ‘edited’
In Marie Claire’s March cover interview, Johansson said: “I certainly would never presume to play another race of a person. Diversity is important in Hollywood, and I would never want to feel like I was playing a character that was offensive.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9003991.html
The story is a few days old but it's one that promotes an interesting conversation. For the sake of clarity, ScarJo has since clarified her comments to essentially say that acting should be free of political correctness and that it's an actor's job to embody someone other than themselves.

When it comes to race, I think racebending is fine as long as the character's race isn't an important part of the story but I don't think a white person should ever play a black character or a black character play an asian person ETC. The creator of Ghost in the Shell actually supported her casting but I remember feeling uncomfortable when she went around calling herself 'Motoko Kusanagi'. I think there's wriggle room when it comes to stories like Ghost in the Shell but I just think that film handled it poorly. I think Altered Carbon did a better job of telling that kind of story better.

I do disagree with controversies surrounding cisgendered actors portraying trans characters though. I think it's great if you can cast a trans person in the role but I think the story is often more important than the actor portraying it. I also think there's a certain level of hypocrisy in the reaction to Scarlett being cast in that film that was highlighted well by Sonique who is a trans drag queen who basically made the point of saying that a lot of trans people complain if they are only considered for trans roles so if they want to play cisgendered roles then they can't really oppose the opposite either.

Same with sexuality really, there was a film released a year or two ago called Love, Simon and that got hit with a lot of controversy from the LGBT community because the lead wasn't a gay actor and I find that ridiculous. Actors shouldn't be limited to only playing their sexuality and actors shouldn't be typecast for it either.

Last edited by Tom4784; 19-07-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 04:13 PM #2
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

I agree with pretty much all of this.

I don't know if anyone whinged about the casting of Ariel in the upcoming Mermaid movie, but that doesn't matter as her race isn't tied into the story; changing the race of Mulan or Poke wouldn't work, as they are Chinese and Native American respectively.

I had to google Ghost in the Shell just now to see the story, and it doesn't look like it's tied into race so, like Mermaid, it could be any.

There are so few trans people full stop, let alone actors, so it's understandable they wouldn't prioritize this when casting. Especially if they want a Big Name. Double especially if they need to look a certain way - in Ugly Betty, Alexis Meade needed to appear to be a beautiful woman.

As for sexualities ... if all actors could only play their own sexuality, Broadway would close down!

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 04:16 PM #3
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

I agree with you Dezzy

Their job is to act and they are doing that, as you said they shouldn't be a limit on what they can do.It would be nice if a transgender did have the roles but it's all about the story and how they tell it, Scarlett might have been better in her audition/screen test.

Spoiler:

Last edited by LukeB; 19-07-2019 at 04:16 PM.
LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 04:21 PM #4

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

The best actor should get the jobs, shoehorning minorities into roles doesn’t work when it comes to Hollywood, it’s all about the quality of the product, obviously if a minority happens to be the best for the job, crack on, but actors are actors for a reason, they should be able to play anyone, people need to get a grip.
Old 19-07-2019, 04:25 PM #5
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
I agree with pretty much all of this.

I don't know if anyone whinged about the casting of Ariel in the upcoming Mermaid movie, but that doesn't matter as her race isn't tied into the story; changing the race of Mulan or Poke wouldn't work, as they are Chinese and Native American respectively.

I had to google Ghost in the Shell just now to see the story, and it doesn't look like it's tied into race so, like Mermaid, it could be any.

There are so few trans people full stop, let alone actors, so it's understandable they wouldn't prioritize this when casting. Especially if they want a Big Name. Double especially if they need to look a certain way - in Ugly Betty, Alexis Meade needed to appear to be a beautiful woman.

As for sexualities ... if all actors could only play their own sexuality, Broadway would close down!
Some have complained about Ariel being black but they can cast any female for that as long they stick to the red hair but yeah films like Mulan,Aladdin and even Black Panther cast had to be based on the race because of the culture.

Spoiler:

Old 19-07-2019, 05:16 PM #6

As long as the actors aren't playing races they're not (especially involving such offensive things blackface or yellowface) I don't see the issue in switching ethnicity to suit whichever actor is playing the role. However, whitewashing isn't a good look.

When it comes to sexuality, accent, trans-status I don't see the problem in anyone playing the role as long as they can do it.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 05:23 PM #7

Quote:
Double especially if they need to look a certain way - in Ugly Betty, Alexis Meade needed to appear to be a beautiful woman.!
idgi
Old 19-07-2019, 05:26 PM #8
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
idgi
Can you name a trans actress who's as hot as Rebecca Romijn?

Old 19-07-2019, 05:46 PM #9

arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 05:57 PM #10

Quote:
Can you name a trans actress who's as hot as Rebecca Romijn?
I couldn't name a trans actress full stop. Doesn't mean there aren't hot ones.
Old 19-07-2019, 06:28 PM #11
-

-

I went right off ScarJo when someone asked her in an interview if she had seen Infinity War and she said (in a non-joking way - she also knew nothing about the film or any of the characters other than her own) something like "lol no I have a life".

I mean I know plenty of people aren't into these sorts of films but honestly having a straight up dig at the millions of people that are writing your pay cheques?

There's a few MCU actors who are like this about the films and it's crappy . Much rather watch interviews with people like Tom Holland who are actually interested in / excited about the material.

Tom Holland should get her part in whatever this is .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 06:29 PM #12
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I went right off ScarJo when someone asked her in an interview if she had seen Infinity War and she said (in a non-joking way - she also knew nothing about the film or any of the characters other than her own) something like "lol no I have a life".

I mean I know plenty of people aren't into these sorts of films but honestly having a straight up dig at the millions of people that are writing your pay cheques?

There's a few MCU actors who are like this about the films and it's crappy . Much rather watch interviews with people like Tom Holland who are actually interested in / excited about the material.

Tom Holland should get her part in whatever this is .
You leave our ScarJo alone

Are you sure she wasn't joking?

Spoiler:

Old 19-07-2019, 06:49 PM #13
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeB View Post
You leave our ScarJo alone

Are you sure she wasn't joking?
Yes and there are multiple times when interviewers / hosts have mentioned basic in-universe stuff and she has absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 06:56 PM #14

Suddenly, the lack of main role for Black Widow and the delay for her own solo film seems deserved.
Old 19-07-2019, 07:01 PM #15
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

It's a shame really, Black Widow is great tbh

Old 19-07-2019, 07:27 PM #16
Sod orf

Sod orf

Hollywood is currently in its worst state in history. The art of film making has, like many other things, been infested with political correctness, and political correctness ruins everything.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 07:51 PM #17
Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:
I couldn't name a trans actress full stop. Doesn't mean there aren't hot ones.

Laverne Cox is ashamed of you Marsh
You've entered the post apocalyptic ruins of a site about a dead show, where every battle imaginable has already been fought a hundred times over. A cynical world of hardened arseholes where the mods have stopped caring, and the administrator is watching Tetris championships while the rest of us bicker in here.
Mokka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 07:52 PM #18
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Suddenly, the lack of main role for Black Widow and the delay for her own solo film seems deserved.

Spoiler:

Old 19-07-2019, 07:56 PM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Hollywood is currently in its worst state in history. The art of film making has, like many other things, been infested with political correctness, and political correctness ruins everything.
I'm sure whether a trans or cis actor plays a trans character has affected your film viewing pleasure profoundly.
Old 19-07-2019, 07:56 PM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokka View Post

Laverne Cox is ashamed of you Marsh
Old 19-07-2019, 08:03 PM #21
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
I'm sure whether a trans or cis actor plays a trans character has affected your film viewing pleasure profoundly.
Depends if they're good or not. They shouldn't be cast if they're not the best person for the job. But these days it's not about who's best for the job, it's about, do they tick diversity boxes?
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 08:06 PM #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Depends if they're good or not. They shouldn't be cast if they're not the best person for the job. But these days it's not about who's best for the job, it's about, do they tick diversity boxes?
How so?

How do you differentiate between seeing a minority on screen and concluding "a diversity box" and seeing a minority and concluding "actor won the role on merit".

And don't say "the bad ones" because there's plenty of poor actors across the board.
Old 19-07-2019, 08:08 PM #23
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Didn't the BBC set diversity quotas a few years back?

Old 19-07-2019, 08:09 PM #24

Quote:
Didn't the BBC set diversity quotas a few years back?
Increasing the representation in front of and behind the camera is positive?
Old 19-07-2019, 08:11 PM #25
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Increasing the representation in front of and behind the camera is positive?
It's not positive or negative, just something that is.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
casting, controversy, johanssen, scarlett