Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:58 AM #76
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Ever since time began, jokes have been made about tragic events ... it's human nature, and I am so disappointed that the world has gotten so frightened of saying the wrong thing that it's lost all its humour

A kids joke that was going round at the time of a particularly tragic event .... Why should you not wear loose fitting underwear .... cause cher nob l fallout

Another ... where did the shuttle crew go on holiday ... i wont state that one here

The point is, humour has always been associated with death and tragedy, tasteless maybe, but still humour ... and it's really grim that people try and stop it now because it doesn't fit with their particular political agenda, because as others have said, if the jibe was free of politics, people would be laughing their heads off.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:53 AM #77
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Explain how that is relevant to me or this thread?

Why are some people so intent on siding with their friends they're literally grasping at straws?
Because that particular thread treats death with irreverence. I don't take part in it.... I find it distasteful, but I don't stop other people taking part.

We have thread after thread on here where people ridicule religion and people of faith. The consensus is, how stupid people are to believe fairy stories in an old book probably written by out of work camel drivers. But... if someone is perceived to have insulted Corbyn, suddenly everyone cares about disrespect being shown to Christian martyrs.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:55 AM #78
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
I didn't say ALL members,just some
Kazanne…. step away from the bullsh1t.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:14 AM #79
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Because that particular thread treats death with irreverence. I don't take part in it.... I find it distasteful, but I don't stop other people taking part.

We have thread after thread on here where people ridicule religion and people of faith. The consensus is, how stupid people are to believe fairy stories in an old book probably written by out of work camel drivers. But... if someone is perceived to have insulted Corbyn, suddenly everyone cares about disrespect being shown to Christian martyrs.

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:16 AM #80
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Ever since time began, jokes have been made about tragic events ... it's human nature, and I am so disappointed that the world has gotten so frightened of saying the wrong thing that it's lost all its humour

A kids joke that was going round at the time of a particularly tragic event .... Why should you not wear loose fitting underwear .... cause cher nob l fallout

Another ... where did the shuttle crew go on holiday ... i wont state that one here

The point is, humour has always been associated with death and tragedy, tasteless maybe, but still humour ... and it's really grim that people try and stop it now because it doesn't fit with their particular political agenda, because as others have said, if the jibe was free of politics, people would be laughing their heads off.

omg I was going to post the cher kno will fall off joke on the Chernoybl to see if anyone had heard of it, trust you BOTS

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 03-08-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:54 AM #81
Banned

Banned

A lot of people downplaying this would be screeching in outrage if a left winger said this about the right or if it was labour saying this about a Tory/Brexit party member.

Partisanship at it's finest....

As for the tweet itself, it's just typical dumbass baby boomer humour, inane, pointless and just plain dumb.

Last edited by Tom4784; 03-08-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:46 PM #82
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

Do you know what peers are? What they do?...do you not feel that its distasteful for someone of his supposed standing to be engaging in such juvenile humour about elected officials?...
Can we not look past the alleged 'humour' in the tweet, that is not the issue. It's the disrespect.

I'm not doubting this tweet had some rolling on the floor laughing, I'm also not doubting black humour exists.

But lets see this for what it is, childish mocking from a guy who bought his way into the Lords towards the elected shadow cabinet ...he even manages to offend Catholics too well done 'lord' Sugar.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:10 PM #83
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Do I have to ask why people are suddenly defensive of the Catholic church? I've not seen such hypocrisy on here since... yesterday.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:22 PM #84
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I haven't defended anyone...not suggesting you're referring to me of course. I made a reference to offence to Catholics is all.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:53 PM #85

Quote:

It's just changing topic to be about members. Nothing more, nothing less.

The thread is not relevant unless she's specifically referring to members in this thread. Which she refuses to clarify.

As for the religious insults, people do care. Religious debates have been repeated on this forum ad nauseam for years. It's probably hit the point where people avoid them like the plague. Like I do, not because I don't have an opinion on it, but it's literally repeating the same debate for the 1000th time.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:56 PM #86

Quote:

So... kids jokes are an appropriate method of public communication for a member of the house of Lords?

Good grief.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:57 PM #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasS View Post
I mean it’s not a non existent hypothetical - some people have a dark humour, I bet countless people have made a joke similar - doesn’t mean they’re bad people or should be crucified online. It might be a non existent hypothetical if you are sheltered and haven’t met lots of different people in the real world

I don’t agree with what he said and it is a bit tasteless, but I find it a little embarrassing for people to have such an OTT reaction to something that was a tasteless joke
It is non existent since you're talking about "people in a museum". Not actually referring to anyone real or specific.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:58 PM #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
Very unfair comment as Chuff is not on here much and we don't always agree,isn't she a member that you are discussing aswell, no need to bring her into everything , I agree with some people ,others I do not, that's not cheerleading, it's the way we all are .
Double standard.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:00 PM #89

Quote:
Do I have to ask why people are suddenly defensive of the Catholic church? I've not seen such hypocrisy on here since... yesterday.
"People" "Why people are defensive?"

Because they are?

It's not hypocritical unless you're referring to someone specific and have proof they're acting hypocritically.

But, yeah, you won't add substance to the statement.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:05 PM #90
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
If the bones and skulls are so openly on show, I can’t see why a comment or joke about them is so taboo.
If they deserve respect then give them it and bury them in peace.
Spot on Smudgie !!
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:24 PM #91
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

I neither care whether any find what Sugar says offensive, funny, interesting or irrelevant.

I think the man ignorant, pompous and I've never liked him and likely never will.

An overgrown idiot, playing at stupid games even on his programmes.
Where he has to play the almighty and sits under the delusion he can fire people even before he's hired them.

What a waste of space and time.
In my view.

Last edited by joeysteele; 03-08-2019 at 03:24 PM.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:25 PM #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I neither care whether any find what Sugar says offensive, funny, interesting or irrelevant.

I think the man ignorant, pompous and I've never liked him and likely never will.

An overgrown idiot, playing at stupid games even on his programmes.
Where he has to play the almighty and sits under the delusion he can fire people even before he's hired them.

What a waste of space and time.
In my view.
And insists they call him "Lord". Absolute arse Joey, you're spot on.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:09 PM #93
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

I've read some ridiculous reaching in this thread claiming this crass insensitive humour is ok for teens so it's ok for a peer of the realm, that we shouldn't be defending the church or religion bc they're bad, that the bones are on show so free for all to take the piss out of, etc etc.
I dont begrudge Sugar having fun at Corbyn's expense, political caricature has a long and important tradition.
But dont drag human remains into it, especially those important to a different religion. Why do it? Corbyn has nothing to do with the catholic church anyway.
Take a pic of a flock of sheep or a pile of bricks and compare them to the shadow cabinet.
Dont go into a church and show your contempt to a different tradition if you expect your traditions to be respected.

Last edited by Twosugars; 03-08-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:17 PM #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
I've read some ridiculous reaching in this thread claiming this crass insensitive humour is ok for teens so it's ok for a peer of the realm, that we shouldn't be defending the church or religion bc they're bad, that the bones are on show so free for all to take the piss out of, etc etc.
I dont begrudge Sugar having fun at Corbyn's expense, political caricature has a long and important tradition.
But dont drag human remains into it, especially those important to a different religion. Why do it? Corbyn has nothing to do with the catholic church anyway.
Take a pic of a flock of sheep or a pile of bricks and compare them to the shadow cabinet.
Dont go into a church and show your contempt to a different tradition if you expect your traditions to be respected.

That last sentence, especially.

Last edited by Marsh.; 03-08-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:47 PM #95
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
And insists they call him "Lord". Absolute arse Joey, you're spot on.
Yes Marsh.
You described him better than I did.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
anticorbyn, backlash, lord, sugar, tweet, twitter