Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:30 AM #51
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

I have just heard they spend 83 minutes paying tribute to him.....what a waste of time the night before Parliament shuts down, and he allowed it??? baffling!

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:41 PM #52
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I have just heard they spend 83 minutes paying tribute to him.....what a waste of time the night before Parliament shuts down, and he allowed it??? baffling!
At the end of the day Cherie, the vast majority of Westminster politicians (especially those late in their careers) have absolutely no element of personal risk in Brexit... and that's part of what makes it so scary. Yes, they can be passionate about it. Yes, many care deeply about what happens to the country. But none of them are going to have less comfortable lives on a personal level based on the outcome. They have homes abroad, they have assets and investment portfolios, they have large off-shore private pension funds. More than enough to live comfortable lives 'til the end of their days, even if the UK economy collapses over-night on the 31st of October.

Bercow doesn't want it to happen, I'm sure it makes him very angry, but personally? He's going to be just fine, so he's allowed himself a moment (or 83 apparently) to have his ego stroked a bit.

Of course, some like Mr Johnson & friends most likely have their investments organised specifically to benefit from such an outcome.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 10-09-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:43 PM #53
it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Tera
BBUSA22: Janelle

it’s a mad, mad world

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Tera
BBUSA22: Janelle

Shame, I like him a lot

OOODEEHHHHH

Spoiler:

Matthew. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:52 PM #54
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
At the end of the day Cherie, the vast majority of Westminster politicians (especially those late in their careers) have absolutely no element of personal risk in Brexit... and that's part of what makes it so scary. Yes, they can be passionate about it. Yes, many care deeply about what happens to the country. But none of them are going to have less comfortable lives on a personal level based on the outcome. They have homes abroad, they have assets and investment portfolios, they have large off-shore private pension funds. More than enough to live comfortable lives 'til the end of their days, even if the UK economy collapses over-night on the 31st of October.

Bercow doesn't want it to happen, I'm sure it makes him very angry, but personally? He's going to be just fine, so he's allowed himself a moment (or 83 apparently) to have his ego stroked a bit.

Of course, some like Mr Johnson & friends most likely have their investments organised specifically to benefit from such an outcome.
I couldn't agree more, it was just the idea that he was made out to be practically some kind of saint when he has essentially picked a time to resign that he will be remembered for and will go down in history...this idea that he is some paragon of virtue who was the best thing since sliced bread is kinda laughable, not to mention the complete glossing over of the bullying of young women allegations

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 10-09-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:56 PM #55

Quote:

Yes it was wrong
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:57 PM #56
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, it was just the idea that he was made out to be practically some kind of saint when he has essentially picked a time to resign that he will be remembered for and will go down in history...this idea that he is some paragon of virtue who was the best thing since sliced bread is kinda laughable, not to mention the complete glossing over of the bullying of young women allegations
He may be a knob sometimes but he singlehandedly revived parliamentary democracy
And for that he's one of the great speakers
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:42 PM #57
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

He didn't encourage the tributes to himself.

Through the time, it wasn't all just tributes, many were rising on points of order then coupling that with a message personally to him.

Nothing wrong I could see and apart from Gove, the fact it seemed to irritate the Con front bench.
Was good to see,.for me anyway.

I agree, unsurprisingly, with Twosugars, he is likely to be seen as one of the great speakers.
From his other reforming changes too.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:29 PM #58
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

The tributes were fine. He's been a speaker for almost 10 years and it's a tradition to thank an outgoing speaker etc anyway.
They sat till late, he squeezed the Grieve papers release business and a corbyn motion for rule of law.
They achieved plenty on this last day.

Last edited by Twosugars; 10-09-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
31st, bercow, commons, house, october, speaker, stand