Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
Twosugars
Stiff Member
 
Twosugars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 5,936
Default Rape reports double while rape prosecutions decrease

Rape charges, prosecutions and convictions in England and Wales have fallen to their lowest levels in more than a decade.

The steep decline comes as the number of rapes recorded by the police has more than doubled over the past six years.

Figures released by the Crown Prosecution Service show convictions fell from 2,635 in 2017-18 to 1,925 in 2018-19, a drop of 26%. The number of prosecutions completed fell by 32% from 4,517 to 3,034, and the number of rape cases charged by the CPS declined by 37% to 1,758.
More here
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2019...el-in-a-decade
Twosugars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #2
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 123,419
Blog Entries: 2

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

rape isn't against the law anymore, didn't you know?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/matee...cEqcszXj9xJ_iG
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:


Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
montblanc
Senior Member
 
montblanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 12,283

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kemi
DOI 2019: Richard Blackwood
CBBUSA2: Tamar Braxton
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

people seem to care more about wanting to put women in jail for "lying" about rape than actual rapists and it's so annoying
__________________





Spoiler:


montblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
Vicky.
0_o
 
Vicky.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 62,901


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montblanc View Post
people seem to care more about wanting to put women in jail for "lying" about rape than actual rapists and it's so annoying
Yup. Also the very very important 'innocent until proven guilty' only applies to the alleged rapist, as 'lies' is ths starting position on the victim.

And yeah rape is basically legal these days. Sorry but when you get victims literally taping their rapes and the rapist still goes free.it kind of shows a huge issue.

Honestly, I hate to think about it but if a (female) member of my family came to me saying they were raped, I think I would discourage them from reporting, because of how trials are. Usually, the victim gets more of a grilling than the alleged rapist for ****s sake..

I know some men get raped too, but the default doesn't seem to be 'liar' to men. Unless a celebrity is ivolved, in which case the rules bend slightly..

Anyway, rising reports just show more women desperate to lie about men just to make them look bad, or dragging themselves through cross examiniations that go on months because they regretted sleeping with someone..yadayada.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKittyFantastico View Post


I wasn't aware you could vote with your vagina. I'm so behind the times, I still use my phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
It's Big Brother, not Brexit. Adjust your seriousness accordingly.
Quote:
In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.

Last edited by Vicky.; 12-09-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 39,966

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

The way rape cases are carried out needs serious overhauling, as it stands the victim is put on trial just as much as the rapist and victim blaming is rife in the system. Too much bias and bull**** gets in the way of establishing one core fact that determines guilt or innocence, did the accused have consent? Everything else doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what the victim wore, what she had to drink, what she was doing prior to the crime happening, all that matters is consent and whether or not she gave it or was even in a position to give it.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
Vicky.
0_o
 
Vicky.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 62,901


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The way rape cases are carried out needs serious overhauling, as it stands the victim is put on trial just as much as the rapist and victim blaming is rife in the system. .
As much as would be bad enough, but victims seem to be treat even worse than the rapist..the system is a joke. Then when a rapist finally gets convicted..tends to be very short sentences. As god forbid we 'ruin the young mans life' or whatever
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKittyFantastico View Post


I wasn't aware you could vote with your vagina. I'm so behind the times, I still use my phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
It's Big Brother, not Brexit. Adjust your seriousness accordingly.
Quote:
In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
AnnieK
Senior Member
 
AnnieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchester
Posts: 8,543


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
As much as would be bad enough, but victims seem to be treat even worse than the rapist..the system is a joke. Then when a rapist finally gets convicted..tends to be very short sentences. As god forbid we 'ruin the young mans life' or whatever
I've mentioned before on here about a rape case I sat through with a family member and this is so true. His barrister and all the witnesses brought up pretty much every sexual encounter she had ever had but previous complaints made about him plus cautions for violence against women were not allowed to be mentioned in court. After the case she always said she would tell anyone to not make a report of rape as its not worth it, she went through hell with the case and the **** she got of his family and friends.
__________________
AnnieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
Mystic Mock
Blues 28th best team.
 
Mystic Mock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: with joeysteele.
Posts: 43,243
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Nick
BBCanada 7: Maki
BB19: Hussain
DOI 2019: Saara Aalto


Default

Tbh I can have a bit of pity with the law when it comes to rape, because unless the rape has been recorded, or the victim is a Lesbian in a male to female scenario then it's gonna be hard to know who is telling the truth out of the alleged rapist or the victim, it's sad but it is also true.

The only thing that I don't get is why the sentencing is so short for convicted rapists? If they're convicted then they should be getting at least 20 years in Prison imo for committing one of the major crimes.
__________________
The Quadtastic Shows - Sonic Boom, Dark, Mindhunter, Revisions
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 123,419
Blog Entries: 2

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Tbh I can have a bit of pity with the law when it comes to rape, because unless the rape has been recorded, or the victim is a Lesbian in a male to female scenario then it's gonna be hard to know who is telling the truth out of the alleged rapist or the victim, it's sad but it is also true.

The only thing that I don't get is why the sentencing is so short for convicted rapists? If they're convicted then they should be getting at least 20 years in Prison imo for committing one of the major crimes.
Rapes/victim trying to get away have been recorded and the guy has still been found not guilty. That girl in NI was crying and her clothes had blood on them (testimony by the taxi driver) and the men were still found not guilty
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:


Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
Mystic Mock
Blues 28th best team.
 
Mystic Mock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: with joeysteele.
Posts: 43,243
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Nick
BBCanada 7: Maki
BB19: Hussain
DOI 2019: Saara Aalto


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Rapes/victim trying to get away have been recorded and the guy has still been found not guilty. That girl in NI was crying and her clothes had blood on them (testimony by the taxi driver) and the men were still found not guilty
Were these men rich by any chance? Because that's how rapists can survive not being convicted if they've been proven to be guilty if you catch my drift.
__________________
The Quadtastic Shows - Sonic Boom, Dark, Mindhunter, Revisions
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #11
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 123,419
Blog Entries: 2

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Were these men rich by any chance? Because that's how rapists can survive not being convicted if they've been proven to be guilty if you catch my drift.
That isn't how rapists survive not being convicted though, you are wrong about that, it may be true that rapists may pay victims not to press charges but inside the courtroom it has no bearing, rapists just get off alot
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:



Last edited by Niamh.; 12-09-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #12
Mystic Mock
Blues 28th best team.
 
Mystic Mock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: with joeysteele.
Posts: 43,243
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Nick
BBCanada 7: Maki
BB19: Hussain
DOI 2019: Saara Aalto


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
That isn't how rapists survive not being convicted though, you are wrong about that, it may be true that rapists may pay victims not to press charges but inside the courtroom it has no bearing, rapists just get off alot
Well there's some corruption going on if blatant rapists aren't being convicted by the Jury nor the Judge.
__________________
The Quadtastic Shows - Sonic Boom, Dark, Mindhunter, Revisions
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #13
AnnieK
Senior Member
 
AnnieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchester
Posts: 8,543


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Well there's some corruption going on if blatant rapists aren't being convicted by the Jury nor the Judge.
The problem is quite often its one word against the other, juries seem to believe that if a girl has been drinking, wearing revealing clothes, has had previous sexual partners etc etc then she was somehow "asking for it" and so these rapists get off. Its ridiculous and so backwards. Even when there is physical evidence as Niamh has said, ripped clothing, bruising, blood......its just "rough" sex. The girl I went through a case with even had some of her close friends who questioned it......one girl asked her was it "just sex gone wrong?" No, it was rape....she said no, he did it anyway, that's not rough sex or sex gone wrong, its rape.
__________________
AnnieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #14
bitontheslide
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 20,127

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default

one of the problems is that character assassination has become the norm. People jump to judgement so easily because of the effect of social media. Personally, i think that's the root of so many problems that we now have.

We can say it's not right, but i don't know how it can be fixed.
__________________
TiBB should be free from abuse and transparent in it's operation
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #15
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 123,419
Blog Entries: 2

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
The problem is quite often its one word against the other, juries seem to believe that if a girl has been drinking, wearing revealing clothes, has had previous sexual partners etc etc then she was somehow "asking for it" and so these rapists get off. Its ridiculous and so backwards. Even when there is physical evidence as Niamh has said, ripped clothing, bruising, blood......its just "rough" sex. The girl I went through a case with even had some of her close friends who questioned it......one girl asked her was it "just sex gone wrong?" No, it was rape....she said no, he did it anyway, that's not rough sex or sex gone wrong, its rape.
Yep in a nutshell. People (and not just men either) still have this idea whether it's subconscious or conscious I don't know, that women are responsible for mens "urges", that what they wear, what they drink, where they go(did you go back to his house?) is a factor on whether or not she can claim to be raped because a simple No doesn't cut it
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:


Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #16
GoldHeart
Senior Member
 
GoldHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,420

Favourites (more):
BB19: Akeem
IAC2018: Fleur East
CBB21: Shane Lynch
Strictly 2017: Alexandra Burke


Default

Saw on the news today how domestic violence in general is taken less & less serious, a guy already killed his partner yet was allowed to commit the crime again .
System is messed up .
__________________
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #17
WickedSkengMan
#6Times
 
WickedSkengMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: HomeTown
Posts: 46,650

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2019: Karim Zeroual
Love Island 5: Maura
BB19: Tomasz
IAC2018: James McVey


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
Saw on the news today how domestic violence in general is taken less & less serious, a guy already killed his partner yet was allowed to commit the crime again .
System is messed up .
What do you expect when a man who battered his gf has just been given the highest honour possible yet still denies it despite the proof and conviction
__________________

Spoiler:


WickedSkengMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #18
Twosugars
Stiff Member
 
Twosugars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 5,936
Default

Q and A explained fro the Guardian

Quote:

If a person reports a rape to the police in England and Wales today they have less of a chance of seeing the perpetrator convicted in court than they did 10 years ago.

New figures from the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) reveal rape charges, prosecutions and convictions have fallen to their lowest levels in more than a decade, raising serious questions about how the criminal justice system handles rape cases.

What do the new CPS figures show?

The number of rape cases being dealt with by the CPS has sharply declined in the last year. The service charged, prosecuted and convicted fewer cases despite more alleged rapes being recorded by police in the year to March 2019.

The latest data shows charged cases fell by 38% from 2,822 to 1,758; prosecutions dropped by 33% from 4,517 to 3,034; and convictions declined 27% from 2,635 to 1,925. However, alleged rapes recorded by the police increased by 9% from 54,045 to 58,657 in the same period.

In effect there were three convictions for every 100 rape cases recorded by the police in England and Wales last year.

Why is the CPS prosecuting fewer rape cases?

The CPS has pointed to the police as a leading cause of the growing gap between the number of cases being reported and those going to court. It says key reasons for this include police referring fewer cases, cases being more complex and lack of response from the police after requests for further information.

This, however, is only part of the picture. While police referrals are down, having fallen 27% since 2014, they pale in comparison with the decline in the number of cases the CPS decides to prosecute, which has dropped 51% in the same period.

This decline in prosecutions has also taken its toll on the number of convictions.

Why are rape cases becoming more complex?

The requirement for full disclosure is believed to be more common in rape cases, meaning rape complainants are now reportedly routinely asked to grant full access to their digital devices and personal records or risk having their cases dropped.

A phone can hold as many as 35,000 pages of evidence, according to the Big Brother Watch civil liberties group. This volume of evidence, which has to be reviewed by police, means cases take longer.

Why has there been a rise in reported rapes?

This increase is believed to be a result of more victims coming forward following high-profile coverage of historical abuse cases, such as that involving Jimmy Savile, and those around the #MeToo movement, as well as improvements to police crime recording.

Rape is still an under-reported crime. The Crime Survey for England and Wales estimates that only about one in six victims of rape or assault by penetration report the incident to the police.

Has there been a policy change within the CPS?

The Guardian reported last year that prosecutors were instructed to “take the weak cases out of the system” to make the CPS’s conviction rate look better. However, Max Hill, the director of public prosecutions, has strongly denied any suggestion of a policy change at the CPS.

End Violence Against Women and the Centre for Women’s Justice have launched a legal challenge against the CPS’s treatment of rape cases, calling for a judicial review. The groups claim the CPS changed the way it handled cases in 2016 and point to the shift away from a previous “merits-based approach” to prosecuting rape.

What do the figures mean for people reporting rape?

An “end-to-end” review of how rape is treated by police and the CPS is under way to help understand why more cases are not being prosecuted.

Dame Vera Baird, the victims’ commissioner for England and Wales, said: “Rape is often a serial offence so this policy, or failure, whichever it is, is likely to be putting the public at risk. This review has to be done in a fully independent and accountable way and victims and their organisations must be involved at every stage.”

Twosugars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #19
GoldHeart
Senior Member
 
GoldHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,420

Favourites (more):
BB19: Akeem
IAC2018: Fleur East
CBB21: Shane Lynch
Strictly 2017: Alexandra Burke


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSkengMan View Post
What do you expect when a man who battered his gf has just been given the highest honour possible yet still denies it despite the proof and conviction
Ikr What a great message it sends out , you can be violent & get away with it & you can commit more horrible crimes .

That's why I get fed up of the system & these crime documentaries . I just get wound up at the senseless injustice.
__________________
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #20
bitontheslide
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 20,127

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default

if people don't get satisfaction within the law, it won't be long until they look for justice outside of it, particularly if they see some obvious bias in judgements
__________________
TiBB should be free from abuse and transparent in it's operation
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #21
Vicky.
0_o
 
Vicky.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 62,901


Default

Sounds defeatism, but basically it seems men can pretty much do whatever they like, aslong as the victim is a woman. The amount of men I have heard about over the past year who have killed women and used 'sex game gone wrong' as an excuse, and got away with it is utterly insane. Thats the new go to excuse, and judges are lapping it up. Some people consent to kinky stuff, I don't think it should EVER be accepted that someone consented to being killed (basically even if they outright consent to being killed, they still have not consensted as being in the frame of mind where you would consent to that, means you are mentally incompetant tbh). There needs to be a line, and there currently is not. BDSM people keep kicking off when this is discssed, but tbh I care more about dead women than about someones kink. If there was a law on the topic, it wouldnt affect consensual BDSM partners at all anyway, unless they also went too far and killed someone, noone would know what they were doing in their bedroom..and honestly, regardless of what kink you are into, it should always be classed as too far if it ends in serious injury or death tbh. A law would just mean abusive people couldn't cry 'but bdsm!' when they hurt someone badly. Meanwhile, sensible BDSM partners have nothing to fear, unless they also go too far on someone one day, in which case, they deserve punishment.

Liberal feminsts, **** off with your 'kink shaming' or 'sex negative' accusations please. I don't give a crap and will always prioritize womens safety over appearing 'right on'. Thanks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKittyFantastico View Post


I wasn't aware you could vote with your vagina. I'm so behind the times, I still use my phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
It's Big Brother, not Brexit. Adjust your seriousness accordingly.
Quote:
In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.

Last edited by Vicky.; 14-09-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
decrease, double, prosecutions, rape, reports

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:33 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts