Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:15 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
You can't run an economy on the cheap.
Macron is going ahead
with his cut backs
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:45 PM #27

[This weekend, amid the
long-running Yellow Vest demonstrations,
France faced another, separate protest:
a national strike over
President Emmanuel Macron’s plans
to overhaul the pension system]

NYT
Old 07-12-2019, 06:12 PM #28
Nah

Nah

It's not that bad, we just don't have national trains at the moment lmao Nothing unusual again to us
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:14 PM #29
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Macron is going ahead
with his cut backs
He is awful
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:55 PM #30

Old 07-12-2019, 07:00 PM #31
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Is that the fire service protesting? ... things must be really bad
Old 07-12-2019, 07:03 PM #32

Last edited by arista; 07-12-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:38 PM #33
Nah

Nah

He did not ignore the yellow vests wtf
He gave away a lot to ease the situation. If it were up to me I would not have given them a penny!
But whatever, France right now is showing that you can solve everything with violence. So let those lazy asses destroy the country, elect that extreme right party leader Marine Le Pen so she can turn herself into a monster even more.

London take me back! (oh wait, y'all are in trouble too lol)
Old 08-12-2019, 08:20 AM #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Remy View Post
He did not ignore the yellow vests wtf
He gave away a lot to ease the situation. If it were up to me I would not have given them a penny!
But whatever, France right now is showing that you can solve everything with violence. So let those lazy asses destroy the country, elect that extreme right party leader Marine Le Pen so she can turn herself into a monster even more.

London take me back! (oh wait, y'all are in trouble too lol)

Yes he had talks
but the Yellow Vests are staying put
Nothing has changed.

And Capt. Remy
London and UK are Split
on this Election/Brexit Battle
but we are not like the French
who are Rioters

Last edited by arista; 08-12-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:09 AM #35
Nah

Nah

At least they don't block roundabouts anymore, and they are less and less to show up every saturday. Since they agree with the violence that happened, they should be treated as such.
And they always want more and they don't care about the financial repercussions. They are spoilt and greedy, end of the story.
Now that doesn't mean some of their motives are not right, but everybody is facing struggles in their daily lifes. We should take care of the people in difficult situations, but not people who want to sit around and do nothing and be paid for it.

They're a bunch of cowards who waited until a younger president was elected not even two years ago so they can take all of their anger towards him. They would have never had the guts to do it with Sarkozy or Hollande. And that's a weak move for that. Macron is not responsible for the previous presidents' mistakes.

Anyway, Macron is showing those rats that he's much stronger than that. He won't back down and that's a good thing.

About the pensions reform, basically it's saying that your pension won't be based on your best 25 years of your career anymore, but on your whole career instead.
So now people are rioting because pretty much they realize they can't sit around all day and work from time to time to get a decent pension. Get out of here! They are lazy and dumb (they can't even make right calculation based on the formula provided by the government, what a bunch of idiots)
Old 08-12-2019, 11:48 AM #36
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
At least they don't block roundabouts anymore, and they are less and less to show up every saturday. Since they agree with the violence that happened, they should be treated as such.
And they always want more and they don't care about the financial repercussions. They are spoilt and greedy, end of the story.
Now that doesn't mean some of their motives are not right, but everybody is facing struggles in their daily lifes. We should take care of the people in difficult situations, but not people who want to sit around and do nothing and be paid for it.

They're a bunch of cowards who waited until a younger president was elected not even two years ago so they can take all of their anger towards him. They would have never had the guts to do it with Sarkozy or Hollande. And that's a weak move for that. Macron is not responsible for the previous presidents' mistakes.

Anyway, Macron is showing those rats that he's much stronger than that. He won't back down and that's a good thing.

About the pensions reform, basically it's saying that your pension won't be based on your best 25 years of your career anymore, but on your whole career instead.
So now people are rioting because pretty much they realize they can't sit around all day and work from time to time to get a decent pension. Get out of here! They are lazy and dumb (they can't even make right calculation based on the formula provided by the government, what a bunch of idiots)
Nice to get an actual French residents view rather than, 'I wish we were more like the French' and were more militant, in reality we wouldn't really want our city centres turned into battlegrounds every weekend

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 08-12-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:43 PM #37
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Nice to get an actual French residents view rather than, 'I wish we were more like the French' and were more militant, in reality we wouldn't really want our city centres turned into battlegrounds every weekend
Thank you. I think it's in the French people's DNA to go on strike hardly (oh hey the French Revolution!), but some people take it way too far!
I feel very bad for all the shops that must close around Christmas and see their revenue crushed because of it. This is the second year in a row, and many shops have closed or hardly survive. Christmas is usually a strong period for them, but now they are struggling because people don't go into city centres anymore.
All profit goes to Amazon obviously, since people can't go do their Christmas shopping in shops. And ironically enough, the yellow vests and rioters want to evict Amazon so local shops can generate more jobs. I can't.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:03 PM #38
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Thank you. I think it's in the French people's DNA to go on strike hardly (oh hey the French Revolution!), but some people take it way too far!
I feel very bad for all the shops that must close around Christmas and see their revenue crushed because of it. This is the second year in a row, and many shops have closed or hardly survive. Christmas is usually a strong period for them, but now they are struggling because people don't go into city centres anymore.
All profit goes to Amazon obviously, since people can't go do their Christmas shopping in shops. And ironically enough, the yellow vests and rioters want to evict Amazon so local shops can generate more jobs. I can't.
The people striking are professionals and unions, so hardly bums... I of course understand that it is inconvenient and damaging however to me there is something passionate and honourable about fighting for your rights. That's what I find admirable.
We hear tales of great valour and spirit ' Dunkirk spirit' ...That is how I see this, a fight against those who would disempower the citizen.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:14 PM #39
Nah

Nah

Quote:
The people striking are professionals and unions, so hardly bums... I of course understand that it is inconvenient and damaging however to me there is something passionate and honourable about fighting for your rights. That's what I find admirable.
We hear tales of great valour and spirit ' Dunkirk spirit' ...That is how I see this, a fight against those who would disempower the citizen.
What rights are we talking about here? France is not an impoverished country where corruption is everywhere. It's not.
We have the same rights in France, here we only discuss a pension regime that people are mad about because it means they need to pull the finger out of their arse to get to work and stop relying on the government.

I used to strike when I was much younger for much harder causes that created less division in the country. This one is uncalled for and stupid. The unions know exactly what they are doing by harassing a new guy in politics thinking he's weak.
My issue also is that they don't represent a majority a French people, it's always the same unions that are blocking the country and create a climate of tension and division, and don't respect the results from a direct election that took place 2 years and a half ago.
And what about the people who voted for Macron? They just need to shut up and accept it from the sounds of the unions. And that's not right, he was elected by the people so let him do his job.

Last edited by Captain.Remy; 09-12-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:57 PM #40
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
What rights are we talking about here? France is not an impoverished country where corruption is everywhere. It's not.
We have the same rights in France, here we only discuss a pension regime that people are mad about because it means they need to pull the finger out of their arse to get to work and stop relying on the government.

I used to strike when I was much younger for much harder causes that created less division in the country. This one is uncalled for and stupid. The unions know exactly what they are doing by harassing a new guy in politics thinking he's weak.
My issue also is that they don't represent a majority a French people, it's always the same unions that are blocking the country and create a climate of tension and division, and don't respect the results from a direct election that took place 2 years and a half ago.
And what about the people who voted for Macron? They just need to shut up and accept it from the sounds of the unions. And that's not right, he was elected by the people so let him do his job.
It's not personal, it's a policy issue yes?... Whoever were ringing in these pension reforms would garner the same reaction, again why would they have to get to work, they are already workers. It's fine coming from an older person who as you've said protested when it benefitted you to do so... what of these young men working now and worrying about how these reforms will impact them in old age?
Old 10-12-2019, 05:28 AM #41
Nah

Nah

Quote:
It's not personal, it's a policy issue yes?... Whoever were ringing in these pension reforms would garner the same reaction, again why would they have to get to work, they are already workers. It's fine coming from an older person who as you've said protested when it benefitted you to do so... what of these young men working now and worrying about how these reforms will impact them in old age?
I'm actually 29, started protesting at 12 and got elected in pretty much every student union I got into. A true French basterd! But you know what, I grew up and realized that I don't need to rely too much on a President to decide how to live my life. And I respect what and who the people voted for.

The thing is, this reform is not a bad one.
You have to understand that here in France we offer a lot of assistance and a lot of workers have special regimes (going into retirement earlier, earning more etc...) that previous governments gave them just to keep peace.
It's time that it ends, and obviously they're mad about it. Though it needs to be kept for the harder jobs with hazard conditions.

Also the thing with having your pension calculated on your overall career and not your best 25 years is that it requires stepping up and do your best. And typically this is not what we are taught in France at a young age.
What we are taught is that work is rubbish, being competitive is bad, and also don't be too ambitious. And obviously, go strike for the most little thing.

Macron is young, fresh, full of 21st century ideas, he's trying to take us to a new era, but those unions would rather disrespect him and the results of an election.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:47 AM #42

[Macron is young, fresh, full of 21st century ideas,
he's trying to take us to a new era,
but those unions would rather
disrespect him and the results of an election.]

Yes they liked him when he Won.
but now the Cut backs
are splitting France
Much like the UK.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:38 AM #43
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Not kizzy accusing Captain Remy of being one of those pesky boomers who dared to be born in the 60s

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 10-12-2019, 10:13 AM #44
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I'm actually 29, started protesting at 12 and got elected in pretty much every student union I got into. A true French basterd! But you know what, I grew up and realized that I don't need to rely too much on a President to decide how to live my life. And I respect what and who the people voted for.

The thing is, this reform is not a bad one.
You have to understand that here in France we offer a lot of assistance and a lot of workers have special regimes (going into retirement earlier, earning more etc...) that previous governments gave them just to keep peace.
It's time that it ends, and obviously they're mad about it. Though it needs to be kept for the harder jobs with hazard conditions.

Also the thing with having your pension calculated on your overall career and not your best 25 years is that it requires stepping up and do your best. And typically this is not what we are taught in France at a young age.
What we are taught is that work is rubbish, being competitive is bad, and also don't be too ambitious. And obviously, go strike for the most little thing.

Macron is young, fresh, full of 21st century ideas, he's trying to take us to a new era, but those unions would rather disrespect him and the results of an election.
I don't agree with that attitude tbh, government don't give rights to keep the peace they are hard fought and hard won reform. To suggest cretain sectors forgo those is unfair.
I wouldn't expect any parent or teacher would suggest working hard is bad or wrong.

As any politician your leader works for the citizens, reforms are suggested and voted on, he is not in that position to inflict his will without analysis and debate.

Should a sector via their representatives disagree they are within their rights to voice their objections. That is democratic, democracy does not begin and end with a vote for a leader.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:15 AM #45
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Not kizzy accusing Captain Remy of being one of those pesky boomers who dared to be born in the 60s
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:44 AM #46
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Not cherie not actively part of the debate, just mocking from the sidelines ...
Old 10-12-2019, 10:52 AM #47
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Not cherie not actively part of the debate, just mocking from the sidelines ...
I have been part of the debate, nothing more to be said from me, Cpt Remy is doing a fine job

Old 10-12-2019, 01:22 PM #48
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I have been part of the debate, nothing more to be said from me, Cpt Remy is doing a fine job
A fine job if what, expressing his opinion? I'm sure he appreciates that cherie.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:10 PM #49
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
A fine job if what, expressing his opinion? I'm sure he appreciates that cherie.
Of stating what is actually going on in France kizzy

Old 10-12-2019, 08:09 PM #50
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Oh and there's me thinking the last few posts were just a personal opinion as to the individuals striking as well as a slur on them as a collective?
Having one French voice on the forum does not state what is actually going on in France any more than the opinion of you or I could explain the situation here.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
france, national, pension, reductions, strike