Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 22-01-2020, 02:13 PM #1376

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I don’t see them being similar at all. They are as different as chalk and cheese in their personalities - and the circumstances couldn’t be more different.
Diana was 19 yrs old when she married, Meghan was 37, a mature woman (or should be) and should have thought carefully about what she was getting into, though IMO she never intended to be a dutiful royal wife, she had other plans.

Diana carried out her duties for many years under terrible strain and bulimia besides before she went kind of rogue, which she had good reason to do, Meghan gave it barely more than a year even though she was welcomed into the family who didn’t want to repeat their mistakes with Diana.
Meghan has the love of a supportive husband, Diana did not.

Diana earned the love and acceptance of the people before she tried to do anything political, like her land mine campaign, and she was actually divorced then anyway.
Meghan came into the family with all guns blazing, looking to make them more ‘progressive’. Fine, once you have earned respect and acceptance, but not off the hoof. I mean, who did the upstart Diva think she was?
After her divorce, with a settlement of a paltry 17 million in royal terms, Diana was offered numerous money making deals from the likes of perfume houses and TV networks and turned them all down. Meghan (and Harry) wanted to give up their public funding, which is only 5% of their income to make millions with commerical deals.
Not the same at all.

That’s a great assessment.... Diana and Meghan really draw no comparisons whatsoever.
Old 22-01-2020, 02:20 PM #1377

Quote:
I don’t see them being similar at all. They are as different as chalk and cheese in their personalities - and the circumstances couldn’t be more different.
Diana was 19 yrs old when she married, Meghan was 37, a mature woman (or should be) and should have thought carefully about what she was getting into, though IMO she never intended to be a dutiful royal wife, she had other plans.

Diana carried out her duties for many years under terrible strain and bulimia besides before she went kind of rogue, which she had good reason to do, Meghan gave it barely more than a year even though she was welcomed into the family who didn’t want to repeat their mistakes with Diana.
Meghan has the love of a supportive husband, Diana did not.

Diana earned the love and acceptance of the people before she tried to do anything political, like her land mine campaign, and she was actually divorced then anyway.
Meghan came into the family with all guns blazing, looking to make them more ‘progressive’. Fine, once you have earned respect and acceptance, but not off the hoof. I mean, who did the upstart Diva think she was?
After her divorce, with a settlement of a paltry 17 million in royal terms, Diana was offered numerous money making deals from the likes of perfume houses and TV networks and turned them all down. Meghan (and Harry) wanted to give up their public funding, which is only 5% of their income to make millions with commerical deals.
Not the same at all.
Thank you for your reply. There are parts that I do not agree with, I personally (and I know this is a very unpopular opinion) was not a big fan of Diana other than her as a mother but she more than Meghan knew what she was getting into with regards to the Royals, her birth status meant they were in similar circles. She was also wife of the Heir to the Throne and so had far more pressure on her to conform even though she fought against it for years (as reported by many correspondents). The language you use when discussing Meghan shows that you are not really willing to see any other view of her (upstart diva etc) and I would never try to change anyone's opinion as I personally will not change mine either.

I've enjoyed discussing this with you but I think we have reached an impass now but thank you for your opinions on this.
Old 22-01-2020, 02:23 PM #1378
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
Gushing over Megan and Harry like they are family praising them for putting their family first while they take archi away from his grandad great grandad and grandmother his uncle and cousins.

Especially when his great grandad is virtually bed ridden.

So yea they are such thoughtful people.
Why are you framing withe winsors as the waltons? ..
Old 22-01-2020, 02:28 PM #1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
That’s a great assessment.... Diana and Meghan really draw no comparisons whatsoever.
In Jet's and your opinion. In mine I see great comparisons and I think that is why Harry is so drawn to Meghan, he sees a lot of his mother's attributes in her.

Both strong women
Both uncomfortable with Royal life and spoke openly about it
Both with very strong views on their chosen causes
Both adored their children
Both wanted a "normal" life for their children
Both enjoyed a love/hate relationship with the media depending on how it fit the cause

Anyway, as said its all opinion anyway, only Harry and Meghan know the real reasons behind their exodus.
Old 22-01-2020, 02:41 PM #1380

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Thank you for your reply. There are parts that I do not agree with, I personally (and I know this is a very unpopular opinion) was not a big fan of Diana other than her as a mother but she more than Meghan knew what she was getting into with regards to the Royals, her birth status meant they were in similar circles. She was also wife of the Heir to the Throne and so had far more pressure on her to conform even though she fought against it for years (as reported by many correspondents). The language you use when discussing Meghan shows that you are not really willing to see any other view of her (upstart diva etc) and I would never try to change anyone's opinion as I personally will not change mine either.

I've enjoyed discussing this with you but I think we have reached an impass now but thank you for your opinions on this.
That's a good point Annie, though she could never have anticipated the obsessive interest the people, the press and paparzzi (who had little restrictions on them, not like nowadays) were going to have for her. The Diana circus was a phenomena that hadn't happened with any royal before or since.

When I first saw Meghan with Harry as his girlfriend at the Invictus games I was delighted for him, he looked so happy, and she looked gorgeous.
It was the engagement interview that I began to have doubts about her, (not that my doubt should mean anything of course) and there has been too much food for thought since to make me warm to her at all.
Old 22-01-2020, 02:59 PM #1381

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
In Jet's and your opinion. In mine I see great comparisons and I think that is why Harry is so drawn to Meghan, he sees a lot of his mother's attributes in her.

Both strong women
Both enjoyed a love/hate relationship with the media depending on how it fit the cause

Anyway, as said its all opinion anyway, only Harry and Meghan know the real reasons behind their exodus.
Diana and Meghan went about these things in different circumstances, different ways and at different times in their royal roles.

Last edited by jet; 22-01-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 22-01-2020, 04:23 PM #1382

Quote:

Both strong women

I disagree. Diana was never seen as a strong woman when she joined the Royal family....she really was anything but.
Diana was never uncomfortable with Royal life...
Both adored their children?....most mothers do
Of course they had strong views on their chosen causes...they chose them
Yes they both want/wanted a “normal” life for their children....but when you marry into the Royal family that was never going to be the case. Diana did everything she could to balance normality with commitment and she did a great job..Meghan has pretty much denied Archie his heritage to some extent.

As for the media....possibly the one thing they do share. However, Diana had to deal with so much more press attention at a very young age...Meghan at a mature age had already enjoyed press attention as an actress...so she was well versed.
Most of Diana’s press attention was positive...an endearing vulnerable young lady who played her role perfectly...during her marriage she took on her responsibilities throughout personal difficult times. Meghan however...a beautiful lady but she inevitably bought her diva actress attitude into her role...and it hasn’t gone down well. She could have turned it around at any point...but she didn’t want to.
Old 22-01-2020, 04:37 PM #1383

Quote:
Yeah, starving herself and throwing herself down a flight of stairs are the actions of a comfortable woman.
Old 22-01-2020, 04:43 PM #1384

Quote:
a magazine interview

Liz Cundy
Old 22-01-2020, 04:44 PM #1385

Quote:
Gushing over Megan and Harry like they are family praising them for putting their family first while they take archi away from his grandad great grandad and grandmother his uncle and cousins.

Especially when his great grandad is virtually bed ridden.

So yea they are such thoughtful people.
Look at you ranting about all this when there's kids dying in Africa. Have some respect.
Old 22-01-2020, 04:45 PM #1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Yeah, starving herself and throwing herself down a flight of stairs are the actions of a comfortable woman.

I think you should be blaming Charlie and his heartless mistress for all of Di’s troubles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 22-01-2020, 04:45 PM #1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
I think you should be blaming Charlie and his heartless mistress for all of Di’s troubles

I don't believe I suggested otherwise.
Old 22-01-2020, 04:57 PM #1388

Quote:
I don't believe I suggested otherwise.

Fair enough .. maybe you should / could have expanded on your thoughts though . I took it as a slight /criticism of Di ..

Old 22-01-2020, 05:00 PM #1389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Fair enough .. maybe you should / could have expanded on your thoughts though . I took it as a slight /criticism of Di ..

Oh, not at all, no criticism towards Di.

An example of how she didn't exactly cope well under the strains of Royal life, which included her tumultuous marriage. I doubt many people would cope well under that pressure.
Old 22-01-2020, 05:08 PM #1390
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Diana, a daughter of an earl so born and bred aristocrat, couldn't cope with the gossipy and backstabbing royal household. Why Meghan at 36, coming from different country, should be expected to put up with it?

Last edited by Twosugars; 22-01-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 22-01-2020, 05:10 PM #1391

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I disagree. Diana was never seen as a strong woman when she joined the Royal family....she really was anything but.
Both adored their children?....most mothers do
Of course they had strong views on their chosen causes...they chose them
Yes they both want/wanted a “normal” life for their children....but when you marry into the Royal family that was never going to be the case. Diana did everything she could to balance normality with commitment and she did a great job..Meghan has pretty much denied Archie his heritage to some extent.

As for the media....possibly the one thing they do share. However, Diana had to deal with so much more press attention at a very young age...Meghan at a mature age had already enjoyed press attention as an actress...so she was well versed.
Most of Diana’s press attention was positive...an endearing vulnerable young lady who played her role perfectly...during her marriage she took on her responsibilities throughout personal difficult times. Meghan however...a beautiful lady but she inevitably bought her diva actress attitude into her role...and it hasn’t gone down well. She could have turned it around at any point...but she didn’t want to.
Good points, rusticgal.
I think its very sad that Archie is being denied his heritage, and being taken away from his great grandfather and great grandmother, his grandfather, his uncles and aunts and all his little cousins, who he will may well grow up hardly knowing. Harry and Meghans gain (if that is what it turns out to be) will be Archies loss.
Old 22-01-2020, 05:12 PM #1392
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Good points, rusticgal.
I think its very sad that Archie is being denied his heritage, and being taken away from his great grandfather and great grandmother, his grandfather, his uncles and aunts and all his little cousins, who he will may well grow up hardly knowing. Harry and Meghans gain (if that is what it turns out to be) will be Archies loss.
Ridiculous and hysterical.
They will be visiting.
Old 22-01-2020, 05:14 PM #1393
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Ridiculous and hysterical.
They will be visiting.
Will they, rang to tell you did they.
Old 22-01-2020, 05:18 PM #1394
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
They kept the cottage for that very reason.
Not to mention they said so.
Keep up
Old 22-01-2020, 05:21 PM #1395

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Diana, a daughter of an earl so born and bred aristocrat, couldn't cope with the gossipy and backstabbing royal household. Why Meghan at 36, coming from different country, should be expected to put up with it?
Diana put up with it for years and years before she cracked.
I have never heard of Meghan getting backstabbed by the royal household though, what happened there? Tell all!
Old 22-01-2020, 05:22 PM #1396
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

It's just a shame as Harry appears to have had these feelings for a while that he didn't step back and go away and get married without any fuss, all the rowing back came after the wedding, I think they would have gained a lot more respect if they laid their cards on the table from the off

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 22-01-2020, 05:24 PM #1397
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Diana put up with it for years and years before she cracked.
I have never heard of Meghan getting backstabbed by the royal household though, what happened there? Tell all!
All this gossip your "respected royal correspondents" rely on to write hateful pieces in the Daily Hail
Old 22-01-2020, 05:26 PM #1398
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
It's just a shame as Harry appears to have had these feelings for a while that he didn't step back and go away and get married without any fuss, all the rowing back came after the wedding, I think they would have gained a lot more respect if they laid their cards on the table from the off
Life doesn't work like that.

And Harry has enough respect as it is.
Old 22-01-2020, 05:27 PM #1399

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Old 22-01-2020, 06:09 PM #1400

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Quote:
You can't blame being a member of the royal family for being bulimic..That's a disease!
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
back, family, harry, meghan, members, prince, royal, senior, stepped