Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 21-03-2022, 11:01 AM #1
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Default Has anyone had joint replacement surgery?

I have an appointment with a consultant tomorrow as I need a knee replacement. Over the last 2 years it's totally gone
I'm a bit worried has anyone had this?
Old 21-03-2022, 11:41 AM #2
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Both my folks have had their knees done.

My ma hasn't had any problems, but my da's was done 2 days before the very first lockdown, so wasn't given the follow ups and physio rehab and has had problems with his ever since.

All that time spent on your knees finally coming back to haunt you?
Old 21-03-2022, 11:50 AM #3
-

-

I haven't although it's likely my shoulder will need done at some point, it's been a problem forever (cracked the socket aged 15, it healed slightly "too big" so dislocates easily and will probably deteriorate more at some point). Also still likely to need my ankle fused at some point .

A friend of mine had both knees done really young (about 22) and is likely to need them replaced a few times over her lifespan.

As Slim says, the physio/rehab being good is as important as the operation going well, if not moreso... and takes some discipline to keep it going properly. I've had physio exercises for my foot since October, I do them most days but honestly not as often as I should, and if I neglect it even for a day I end up with pain/discomfort (above and beyond the usual).
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 11:53 AM #4
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Both my folks have had their knees done.

My ma hasn't had any problems, but my da's was done 2 days before the very first lockdown, so wasn't given the follow ups and physio rehab and has had problems with his ever since.

All that time spent on your knees finally coming back to haunt you?
Haha yep! The medical term is 'slut drop knee' aw poor dad I'm not looking forward to the physio. I'm in my 40s ( just) so a bit young for a knackered joint. I'm just special I guess ...
Old 21-03-2022, 11:53 AM #5
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

A few of my relative have had it done, one of my Mums cousin twice as they wear out after a number of years...10 or so I think

as others have said the physio is the most important bit and you will be out of bed the day after the op ....walking around...with a crutch

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 11:59 AM #6
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I haven't although it's likely my shoulder will need done at some point, it's been a problem forever (cracked the socket aged 15, it healed slightly "too big" so dislocates easily and will probably deteriorate more at some point). Also still likely to need my ankle fused at some point .

A friend of mine had both knees done really young (about 22) and is likely to need them replaced a few times over her lifespan.

As Slim says, the physio/rehab being good is as important as the operation going well, if not moreso... and takes some discipline to keep it going properly. I've had physio exercises for my foot since October, I do them most days but honestly not as often as I should, and if I neglect it even for a day I end up with pain/discomfort (above and beyond the usual).
Aw poor lass, it it due to hypermobility? That can make your joints lax. Why would they fuse your ankle, won't you have a very pronounced limp then and that impact on other joints?
My ex had a shoulder that could dislocate, I didn't see it happen but he said when it did it was very painful
Old 21-03-2022, 11:59 AM #7
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I'm in my 40s ( just) so a bit young for a knackered joint. I'm just special I guess ...
This is why I'm so pissed off about my foot injury... like you expect to deteriorate as you age, that's all part of life, but a completely messed up joint that restricts activity as 36?? It ****ing sux innit. I mean obviously I know people end up with far worse injuries / paralysed etc. and it's nowhere near that bad... but I didn't think I'd be going out for lunch with friends in my 30's and have to be asking them to "slow down a bit" because I can't hobble along fast enough. Meh.
Old 21-03-2022, 12:03 PM #8
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
A few of my relative have had it done, one of my Mums cousin twice as they wear out after a number of years...10 or so I think

as others have said the physio is the most important bit and you will be out of bed the day after the op ....walking around...with a crutch
I think it's 20yrs.. don't want to go through this every 10yrs! :/

I can't wait to be fair, my sister and some people at work are always off walking here and there..lovely places and I'm soo pissed off I cant go!
Old 21-03-2022, 12:03 PM #9
-

-

Quote:
Why would they fuse your ankle, won't you have a very pronounced limp then and that impact on other joints?
My ex had a shoulder that could dislocate, I didn't see it happen but he said when it did it was very painful
I (tragically) fell right through a wooden decking while on holiday in the summer, TiBB was very worried about me it was all very sad, I don't think you were around .

Anyway, I have a complex foot fracture that pretty much always has crap outcomes even when spotted straight away - and mine wasn't spotted for 9+ weeks so the chance of a decent outcome is now pretty much zero. Consultant decided to hold off on surgery and give it 12 months before reassessing. Took about 5 months to be able to walk on it unaided but my weight distribution on it is bad (part of what the physio is addressing) and it aches constantly when I'm on my feet. Likely to have significant arthritis in the joint within 10 years even with surgery - and the only surgical option is permanent plates/fusion of the joint and bone graft.
Old 21-03-2022, 12:05 PM #10
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
I (tragically) fell right through a wooden decking while on holiday in the summer, TiBB was very worried about me it was all very sad, I don't think you were around .

Anyway, I have a complex foot fracture that pretty much always has crap outcomes even when spotted straight away - and mine wasn't spotted for 9+ weeks so the chance of a decent outcome is now pretty much zero. Consultant decided to hold off on surgery and give it 12 months before reassessing. Took about 5 months to be able to walk on it unaided but my weight distribution on it is bad (part of what the physio is addressing) and it aches constantly when I'm on my feet. Likely to have significant arthritis in the joint within 10 years even with surgery - and the only surgical option is permanent plates/fusion of the joint and bone graft.
Didn't you catch it on video?

Jeremy Beadle would have given you Ł250 for that footage.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 12:05 PM #11
-

-

Quote:
Aw poor lass, it it due to hypermobility?
She was having pain and they discovered that she had basically zero cartilage in them, "reasons unknown" although could just be a birth defect that wasn't apparent until adulthood.

I think it did used to be 10 years between replacements, but the tech improves all the time and they last longer these days.
Old 21-03-2022, 12:08 PM #12
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
This is why I'm so pissed off about my foot injury... like you expect to deteriorate as you age, that's all part of life, but a completely messed up joint that restricts activity as 36?? It ****ing sux innit. I mean obviously I know people end up with far worse injuries / paralysed etc. and it's nowhere near that bad... but I didn't think I'd be going out for lunch with friends in my 30's and have to be asking them to "slow down a bit" because I can't hobble along fast enough. Meh.
Aw, it's **** isn't it :/ shovelling naproxen in like smarties and hoping it doesn't burn through your stomach lining haha!
Keep bugging the docs if it's impacting on your life to such an extent. I wish I'd made more fuss before it got this bad, been hobbling about like a granny for over 2yrs.
Old 21-03-2022, 12:12 PM #13
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Haha yep! The medical term is 'slut drop knee' aw poor dad I'm not looking forward to the physio. I'm in my 40s ( just) so a bit young for a knackered joint. I'm just special I guess ...
It's a process that you do have complete control over, you just have to force yourself through a lot of the pain and fully commit to rehab if you're going to do it.

Not many medical treatments that are in your own hands, so it's a reason to be positive and optimistic. Let us know how your appointment goes.
Old 21-03-2022, 12:14 PM #14
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

It's so odd a guy I work with has this same injury. He's 10yrs younger than you though. He said walking up and down stairs helps. Do you have to wear boots with decent ankle support?

Last edited by Kizzy; 21-03-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 12:17 PM #15
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
It's a process that you do have complete control over, you just have to force yourself through a lot of the pain and fully commit to rehab if you're going to do it.

Not many medical treatments that are in your own hands, so it's a reason to be positive and optimistic. Let us know how your appointment goes.
I will thanks .. I'm forcing myself out today, my son moved out so obviously I'm getting a cat
Old 21-03-2022, 12:21 PM #16
You know my methods

You know my methods

I thought this was a Redway medical thread at first
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 12:33 PM #17
-

-

Quote:
It's so odd a guy I work with has this same injury. He's 10yrs younger than you though. He said walking up and down stairs helps. Do you have to wear boots with decent ankle support?
Yeah, walking boots are now standard footwear . Apparently it used to be much more common ... because the main cause of it was "falling off a horse but your foot gets stuck". Used to happen a lot back when horses were used as cavalry, apparently, and in "frontier times".

Mine was caused by an Air BnB cottage with **** home-made decking. 21st century problems!
Old 21-03-2022, 12:35 PM #18
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
I thought this was a Redway medical thread at first
So you're saying we need to get some good quality weed...
Old 21-03-2022, 12:36 PM #19
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Quote:
apparently its a natural joint lubricant
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 12:47 PM #20
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
From Tiny Tim's Uncle Barry and Smackhead Steve
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 02:20 PM #21
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I have an appointment with a consultant tomorrow as I need a knee replacement. Over the last 2 years it's totally gone
The man who runs one of the local shop had that done a couple of years ago he was fine and must better after he dead now

RIP
michael21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 02:25 PM #22

Quote:
My old friend from primary school had this done, she was then confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life, and sadly tumbled to the death after she mistook the steps at Sainsbury’s for an escalator
Or maybe like the ocean that gently flows.
A friend is like gold that you should treasure
And take care of forever and ever.
glib is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 02:28 PM #23
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Good luck Mrs Kizzleton - sometimes with new knees, they have to fully amputate the lower leg, in order to make sure the joint hinges correctly. But as long as you do the pre-surgery physio they won't need to

Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 02:53 PM #24
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Gee thanks guys :/
Old 21-03-2022, 02:54 PM #25
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Gee thanks guys :/
Your welcome and good luck

Last edited by michael21; 21-03-2022 at 02:55 PM.
michael21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
joint, replacement, surgery