Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 11-07-2023, 01:04 AM #1
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Default English speaking Shows that sucked in my view thread.

I know I'm arguably recycling the same type of threads, but hopefully they're helping cause engagement onto the site at least.

Plus helping me vent in this case.

I will update this list as it goes along, and all replies are welcome.

The Shows that I'm putting in this thread are obviously English speaking Shows, but for me were just terrible for a number of different reasons.

For me my biggest gripe can be if a Show is dull, I can even handle technically badly written Shows better than Shows that are just dull, and offer no real discussion other than being dull to me.

Anyway here's my list in no particular order.

1. War Of The Worlds

Genres - Drama, Sci-Fi

I just remember there being a lot of walking around with nothing actually happening in the First Season, I don't know if the second or third Seasons are any better, but I just remember thinking that this Show might be the dullest Show of all time, until what's number 2 on my list was made anyway.

Imo story, characters, and pacing of both things are the most important to me being able to enjoy any TV Show, I would say that this adaptation of War Of The Worlds failed in every department that I'm looking for.

The Film starring Tom Cruise is good though imo.

2. FBI: International

Genres - Crime Drama, Police Procedural, Action

Apart from the Dog (who was good) the rest of the Show is a boring mess that doesn't know how to be exciting if it was written in big letters in front of their faces.

For some reason the cases, characters, and the main arc for the season were either underdeveloped, poorly constructed, or just simply forgettable imo.

I know that it's going to at least have a three Season run (barring the Writer's Strike harming it's chances) so maybe they'll get things together in the sequel Seasons.

However I've watched 21 episodes of this Show, and I honestly can't believe that Dick Wolf had a hand in one of the most lifeless Shows ever made.

3. The Mandalorian

Genres - Action-Adventure, Space Western

I personally feel like The Mandalorian is disappointing in quality regardless of how you look at it.

If you judge it as a Star Wars product it's lacking in bigger scale storytelling and world building, plus it only has two main characters to work with, so it's not very Star Wars like.

If I'm to judge it in the Cowboy Bebop lane (the Anime not the Live Action as I haven't seen it) then imo Spike has more charisma than the lead in The Mandalorian, plus there are better character dynamics and more of them in Cowboy Bebop than in The Mandalorian, plus the episodic Sci-Fi meets Western themes are done better on Cowboy Bebop than on The Mandalorian as there is more variation in plot between a Cowboy Bebop episode imo.

Then I compare the lead in The Mandalorian and Baby Yoda's dynamic with Joel & Ellie's dynamic with each other from The Last Of Us Video Game, or how Sugimoto & Asirpa's dynamic from Golden Kamuy with that whole "adoptive Father" trope that's been a popular trend over the last decade, and I feel like The Mandalorian is at the bottom of the list imo.

Compared to the other two series, the biggest issue it suffers from is that it's more busy on playing on how "cute" Baby Yoda is, rather than developing a close bond between the two characters.

Also I do think not letting Baby Yoda be able to speak is harming any proper character interaction that can be done between the two characters on the Show.

And before any of it's fans say that I shouldn't be comparing it to any other work of fiction, I have these two things to say.

1. It is a Star Wars product, so it's fair to compare how it holds up versus the usual Star Wars style.

2. It does borrow heavily from TLOU and Cowboy Bebop, therefore I believe that it's fair to judge the Show by their metric, even if the one series was a Video Game story.

The one positive that I'll give the Show is that it has good Action scenes.

4. Locke & Key

Genres - Fantasy Drama, Supernatural Horror

This was probably the first Show that I watched where I really started to notice the Dull Factor starting to creep into Hollywood.

I don't know if it'll age better after some of the Shows that I've seen since in the dull era of Hollywood, but I just remember breaking after the third episode because nothing interesting was happening, plus I was struggling to like any of the characters.

5. Only Murders In The Building

Genres - Comedy-Drama, Mystery Thriller

I've only seen the First Season and my god I was really disappointed in this Show.

I was personally watching it expecting a reasonably interesting case with a bit of Comedy and Drama thrown in.

Instead what I got was the Show doing filler scenes on big name celebs just to give themselves a pat on the back for getting them to come on the Show.

Plus the Show was way more obsessed with how lonely the three leads are rather than any Comedy or in depth Murder Mystery Whodunit type of story.

Imo I'd have preferred this Show to have been honest with it's trailer, rather than making out that the Comedy and Murder Mystery components were going to be an integral part of the Show.

6. The Patrick Star Show

Genres - Comedy

Look I get that it's an Animated Kids Cartoon, but it's so unbelievably bad that it has to be on this list.

Patrick doesn't suit being the lead imo, and the supporting characters are even worse, the writers even know that there's quality issues hence why there's so many crossovers with the Spongebob characters to try and get people to stomach it.

Honestly this may be the worst Kids Show of all time, and I'm not saying that to be melodramatic, I honestly can't think of many things to say that's positive about the Show.

It's terrible as a Spongebob spin-off and it's terrible on it's own merits.

Tbh I'm not even sure if I'd have liked this Show as a kid.

I honestly don't mean to sound so harsh on the Show as I normally do try to be a bit softer on kids Shows, heck I have liked some kids Shows as an adult (including some of the toddler ones) I honestly am not a snob like that, or to other people that like kids Shows as well.

However this Show is just so unbelievably bad, I honestly don't get how Nickelodeon sat there and thought this Show was good quality.

7. Big Blue

Genres - Animation, Adventure, Comedy, Sci-Fi

Tbf to Big Blue it's probably my favourite Show that I've put on this list as there's potential for the second Season to improve things.

Mainly for me is the flat personalities of the characters, there's potential for an eccentric world with a big roster of characters to work with, but they're all written in a very uninteresting way imo.

That's it for now, if you haven't seen these Shows then I recommend you give them a try, and make your own mind up on these Shows.

8. FBI

Genres - Crime Drama, Police Procedural, Action

Tbf I've only seen a few episodes of the original FBI, and I had two major issues as to why I didn't go any further.

1. Far too political, instead of doing good storytelling/cases they instead decided to be heavy handed with their Politics, which for me is a massive trade down.

2. The characters again having zero personality, I honestly don't get this trend with this franchise as to why they don't like characters with an actual personality? Again I don't mean to be so harsh, but of the two FBI Shows that I've watched they don't seem to have a character with charisma.

9. CSI: Vegas

Genres - Police Procedural, Mystery, Drama

I thought that the First Season had issues, but I did try to be hopeful that it would get better in the second Season.

My main issue with the sequel to Crime Scene Investigation is that it is too reliant on the Crime Scene Investigation characters rather than the original characters for Vegas, the original characters are given scraps for storylines rather than being allowed to be iconic.

Plus I would argue that in Season 2 that the Show is written in quite a sexist manner imo, what the Show pretends is Katherine, and Roby have been written to be emotional basket cases that verge on tears over every case (especially Katherine) also one of the lab women in episode 4 had the emotional instability of a Grey's Anatomy character, which to me is the wrong tone for a CSI Show.

Rajan tbf is a female character that's improved so far in Season 2, hopefully she can keep it up.

And Folsom being in shipping drama all of the time is just bad writing and really boring.

10. The Sinner

Genres - Anthology, Crime Drama, Mystery

I've only seen the First Season, but I think that I saw enough with how melodramatic the First Season was to my personal taste.

11. The Midwich Cuckoos

Genres - Horror Drama, Sci-Fi

The pacing imo was horrible.

Literally the first two episodes are you just waiting and eventually watching the women giving birth, something that could've been done within the first 10-15 minutes got dragged out for two episodes.

12. The Suspect

Genres - Police Procedural

I liked the main antagonist of the series, definitely the saving grace to what was otherwise a really badly written Show imo.

In particular the main character's Wife and the two Cops were terrible imo, the main character could also have really irritating material as well.

13. Two And A Half Men

Genres - Sitcom

I've unfortunately saw most of this Show due to some of my family liking it.

But speaking for myself, I've just never found it funny, and tbh borders on being incredibly repetitive.

14. House Of The Dragon

Genres - Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Serial Drama

I'm going to be very controversial with some of the things that I'm about to say, but **** it.

1. Making every major male character an antagonist or unlikable twat, imo it's such blatant Misandry that it honestly amazes me how the Show has got away with it, I am honestly amazed that in the 2020's a TV Show can be so blatantly hateful towards an entire community.

They're not even being subtle with it.

2. GOT was known for being a more mature work that had adult leads from the off, plus was more ambitious in it's storytelling than HOTD's Crab people and who is everyone going to marry storylines, plus being lead by two kids in the first few episodes.

And before anyone says that "of course GOT feels more ambitious, it did 8 Seasons versus HOTD's one" but I would say that from the pilot that GOT delivered shock factor, strong worldbuilding, and iconic dialogue.

So imo it's not an excuse for HOTD's shortcomings in certain areas.

Tbf to HOTD though, it does have good Actors and strong production values in the more shallow areas.

15. Midnight Mass

Genres - Drama, Supernatural, Horror

Tbf I did genuinely like certain characters in the series, for example the Priest, the crazy lady & the Sheriff were probably my three favourite characters throughout the Season.

My main issues with the Show came in other directions that have made the good points unfortunately not be enough for me.

Starting with these issues.

1. Long winded dialogue that just wasn't necessary, and imo just felt like they were trying to be artsy rather than telling a good story (like most of modern Netflix) and to explain what I mean is certain scenes that should've really taken two minutes to say, would instead take about five or six minutes to complete.

2. This is probably much more subjective tbf, but I couldn't stand how much talk there'd be over the one guy being an Alcoholic, don't get me wrong if I was watching a Soap Opera or an out and out pure Drama then I know what I'm getting myself in for because they're genres that are much more grounded in reality and topical matters of the day, but I'm watching what was sold on the trailers as primarily a Supernatural series, yet I felt like the Show in execution couldn't be arsed with developing that side of itself until the last two episodes. Which ironically has a really stupid scene in the Supernatural side of the plot (which I won't spoil for anyone that hasn't watched it) but even that side of the plot has problems once you see it get more focus.

3. Sermons that would never end, they'd eat up a **** ton of the run time, which ironically is the one downside to the Priest character imo.

But yeah for me I would've done the Sermon scenes because of the nature of the Show, but have trimmed their length slightly so that we get a better paced episode and overall story.

4. The final scene is just typical Netflix
Spoiler:

of course the only survivors were the teen characters, I swear Netflix are just a more up themselves version of CW.

5. What felt like a 20 minute chat from the one from Hush and Haunting Of Hill House about "life after death" like seriously! How is this entertaining? I like to try and understand the appeal of certain scenes and Shows, but this particular scene baffled me at just how dour it was to watch.

16. Ted Lasso

Genres - Sports Comedy-Drama

I know that James likes Ted Lasso, so I won't go into why I didn't like the Show personally, but I just didn't like it.

Novels that I didn't like:

1. The Stormlight Archive: The Way Of Kings
Genres - High Fantasy

Okay I'm prepared for abuse for this opinion, but I found it to be a bit dull.

Tbf I haven't read the whole Book, and admittedly I didn't hate everything about it, but the story is not as eventful as I was expecting (away from Szeth's prologue chapter) plus there were just too many Shallan POV's for my taste.

I understand that a lot of my critique of the Book is very much subjective, so you guys might like Shallan's character, I personally though found that reading through her chapters were a chore.

I also never see it as a good sign when I have to try to make myself read something, it should just be enjoyable for me after a certain point.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 06-09-2023 at 05:36 AM.
Mystic Mock is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 06:57 AM #2
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

i very much love watching The Mandalorian, and don't call him Baby Yoda, his name is Grogu

i also love love love Only Murders in the Building, i always love a good murder mystery, and i also find many scenes very funny and it has a top cast too, great combination of older and newer generation stars i mean Shirley MacLaine's role in season 2 even Sting's guest role is a proper acted one, a fictionalized version of himself

and in upcoming season 3 of that we'll get a guest role from Meryl Streep

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:29 AM #3

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post

i very much love watching The Mandalorian, and don't call him Baby Yoda, his name is Grogu

i also love love love Only Murders in the Building, i always love a good murder mystery, and i also find many scenes very funny and it has a top cast too, great combination of older and newer generation stars i mean Shirley MacLaine's role in season 2 even Sting's guest role is a proper acted one, a fictionalized version of himself

and in upcoming season 3 of that we'll get a guest role from Meryl Streep
Grogu imo is a flat character, but thanks for reminding me of his actual name as I did genuinely forget.

And as I've said before, I like people to make up their own mind on things in general, not just with TV Shows, so I'm glad that you were able to enjoy both Shows.

KRO!
Old 12-07-2023, 07:59 AM #4
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Grogu imo is a flat character, but thanks for reminding me of his actual name as I did genuinely forget.

And as I've said before, I like people to make up their own mind on things in general, not just with TV Shows, so I'm glad that you were able to enjoy both Shows.
nah

especially with the Frog Lady and her eggs, those scenes were hilarious how Grogu was eating some of those eggs, what she said were among the last of her kind

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 07:03 PM #5

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
nah

especially with the Frog Lady and her eggs, those scenes were hilarious how Grogu was eating some of those eggs, what she said were among the last of her kind
Speaking for myself, I honestly don't know if modern Hollywood knows what Comedy even is.

KRO!
Old 16-07-2023, 07:05 PM #6
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Speaking for myself, I honestly don't know if modern Hollywood knows what Comedy even is.
name 5 classic comedies
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 06:26 AM #7

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
name 5 classic comedies
Parks & Recreation
Community
Arrested Development
Malcolm In The Middle

I know that's only four, but if we include Animation there's Shows like Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama plus others that I'm probably not thinking of right this second.

And for kids Comedies there is Spongebob and Gumball.

If we go UK based there is My Family, Allo! Allo! (although I haven't seen every episode of it, but I do enjoy the episodes that I have seen)

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 18-07-2023 at 06:28 AM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
english, shows, speaking, sucked, thread, view