Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 15-02-2024, 08:41 PM #1
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Default MS society sack 90 year old volunteer....

Because she asked about the use of pronouns email signatures..

Fran Itkoff was let go from National Multiple Sclerosis Society after 60 years of service
She was told she had breached diversity and inclusion guidelines after asking about use of pronouns on email signatures
The non profit has supported its initial decision and says staff acted 'with best of intentions'

he National MS Society has defended firing a 90-year-old volunteer for breaching its diversity and inclusion policy after she asked what pronouns were.

Fran Itkoff had served the non-profit for multiple sclerosis patients for 60 years, with her late husband running the Long Beach Lakewood chapter prior to his death.

She was left stunned when her bosses forced her to step down on January 19 following an exchange with a colleague who asked her to use her pronouns in an email signatures.
The organization came under fire and was accused of 'ageism', but doubled down amid the backlash saying its staff acted with the 'best of intentions'.

'Recently, a volunteer, Fran Itkoff, was asked to step away from her role because of statements that were viewed as not aligning with our policy of inclusion,' the non-profit said on Thursday.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...9c58d364&ei=13

where is in the 'inclusion' they speak of in that decision

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 08:49 PM #2
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Doing that work was probably the reason she got out of bed in the day. Heartless inconsiderate bastards
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 09:08 PM #3
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Absolutely shocking.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 04:47 AM #4
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan

These idiots seriously expect a 90 year old to follow what a Non-Binary person is?

Are they absolutely mad?

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 07:16 AM #5
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

…this is really very sad and to me it’s not just about this particular charity…but will surely be something that has to be addressed and ‘navigated’ and compromised on going forward for any charity/non profit organisation in terms of heavily relying on volunteers…because those volunteers are very often retired/older people…?…and not so aware of all inclusivity in terms of pronouns …there must be and have been ways around this that the preferred pronouns were inserted in those emails while the wording/content used still was that of and represented Fran Itkoff…/…or that they were proofed before sent so that they represented both her and the charity…I mean, there are ways around these things and it also requires some understanding from the recipients of the emails in terms of Fran’s age and that it was something she personally didn’t intend any offence by…but wished to continue with her volunteering…there has to be a balance and there has to be a compromise otherwise as a society which is aiming for diversity and inclusivity etc…we won’t go forward…it’ll all reach stops and regress backwards…

…I hope this is looked at and addressed so that the lady can continue to volunteer because she finely represents the blood that runs through the veins of charity organisations and this charity will be looked closely at by others as to their actions….
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 07:57 AM #6
You know my methods

You know my methods

Sickening

putting the narcissistic feelings of people with mental health issues above a human who has lived for 90- years
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 09:45 AM #7
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
…this is really very sad and to me it’s not just about this particular charity…but will surely be something that has to be addressed and ‘navigated’ and compromised on going forward for any charity/non profit organisation in terms of heavily relying on volunteers…because those volunteers are very often retired/older people…?…and not so aware of all inclusivity in terms of pronouns …there must be and have been ways around this that the preferred pronouns were inserted in those emails while the wording/content used still was that of and represented Fran Itkoff…/…or that they were proofed before sent so that they represented both her and the charity…I mean, there are ways around these things and it also requires some understanding from the recipients of the emails in terms of Fran’s age and that it was something she personally didn’t intend any offence by…but wished to continue with her volunteering…there has to be a balance and there has to be a compromise otherwise as a society which is aiming for diversity and inclusivity etc…we won’t go forward…it’ll all reach stops and regress backwards…

…I hope this is looked at and addressed so that the lady can continue to volunteer because she finely represents the blood that runs through the veins of charity organisations and this charity will be looked closely at by others as to their actions….
from what I can gather she was sacked because she did not want to use she/her in her email signature, which you would have thought would be her personal choice

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 10:01 AM #8
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
from what I can gather she was sacked because she did not want to use she/her in her email signature, which you would have thought would be her personal choice
….hmmmm, I think that’s the thing and what makes many stories/the sources etc so difficult to comment on and try to be objective …because that objectivity often isn’t presented in articles from the off…I read that there was a misunderstanding/lack of understanding of inclusivity practises adopted and practised by organisations in this inclusive age we live in…anyways, I hope that it’s resolved in an inclusive way to all as it were because I think it’s something that could be seen in many charity/non profit organisations with volunteers…

Last edited by Ammi; 16-02-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Old 16-02-2024, 10:12 AM #9
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

it's just wrong on so many levels. It's not a legal requirement that someone display pronouns on their emails. It's not right that someone willing to give their time to help others is victimised for not being aware of what is trendy today.

It is becoming more and more difficult to know when you could be offending someone else because of social media hysterics. It's going to end up that no-one will want to get involved because people don't want to be chastised about something they weren't even aware of. The people who will end up suffering are the people who need help the most

Last edited by bitontheslide; 16-02-2024 at 10:12 AM.
Old 16-02-2024, 10:18 AM #10
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
it's just wrong on so many levels. It's not a legal requirement that someone display pronouns on their emails. It's not right that someone willing to give their time to help others is victimised for not being aware of what is trendy today.

It is becoming more and more difficult to know when you could be offending someone else because of social media hysterics. It's going to end up that no-one will want to get involved because people don't want to be chastised about something they weren't even aware of. The people who will end up suffering are the people who need help the most
…I would disagree that inclusion/diversity etc is a trend, rather it’s a progression that wasn’t there for every generation …which is why it needs understanding to resolve this and any similar cases that might arise…so that inclusivity isn’t being ‘protected’ for some while exclusivity is happening for others…as well as having a respect for several decades of someone’s time being given in volunteer work to the organisation…
Old 16-02-2024, 10:22 AM #11
You know my methods

You know my methods

people hide behind the word inclusive

weasel word for weasel management trying to appear "virtuous"
Old 16-02-2024, 10:23 AM #12
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
…I would disagree that inclusion/diversity etc is a trend, rather it’s a progression that wasn’t there for every generation …which is why it needs understanding to resolve this and any similar cases that might arise…so that inclusivity isn’t being ‘protected’ for some while exclusivity is happening for others…as well as having a respect for several decades of someone’s time being given in volunteer work to the organisation…
Sure but being inclusive should include this lady and anyone who does not want to display their pronouns as well as those who do

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 10:28 AM #13
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Sure but being inclusive should include this lady and anyone who does not want to display their pronouns as well as those who do
….and for me, I feel that things like this are just the beginning of moving forward and part of progression to find those all inclusive solutions which everyone can have an understanding of and everyone can feel included…and why this is something that has to be addressed…
Old 16-02-2024, 10:29 AM #14
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
….and for me, I feel that things like this are just the beginning of moving forward and part of progression to find those all inclusive solutions which everyone can have an understanding of and everyone can feel included…and why this is something that has to be addressed…
I agree, I think if people want to put their pronouns in emails that's perfectly fine and I'm sure a lot will but it should be optional not forced

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 10:37 AM #15
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I agree, I think if people want to put their pronouns in emails that's perfectly fine and I'm sure a lot will but it should be optional not forced
…I think that I said earlier that I honestly don’t know and won’t comment on ‘forced’ because there’s so much that I don’t know …I’m of the understanding that that there was a misunderstanding or lack of understanding and if that were the case then that should be resolved …there shouldn’t for me be anyone who doesn’t feel included or feels offended from any organisation, let alone a charity…I don’t personally feel that many of these things should escalate into ‘sides’ of that person or that person, type thing..which social media’s can often try to create…I feel that the solution to inclusivity is simple in that it’s created in discussions and understanding…and absolutely not created in exclusion of any kind…that applies to many things/situations for me…

…anyways, as I’ve said…I hope that it’s resolved so that all are and feel valued equally …
Old 16-02-2024, 10:37 AM #16
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Anyone that helps someone suffering from MS is a subject close to my heart, so this type of thing really angers me. It's really just another example of bureaucracy gone wild, they just find new ways of being bureaucratic
Old 16-02-2024, 10:43 AM #17
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

…I don’t think that it’s bureaucracy to be inclusive, I think that it’s progress …but I do think this is something that needs to be looked at, not just because this case but because this also is a pathway if you like to any future similar ones …
Old 16-02-2024, 10:43 AM #18
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Anyone that helps someone suffering from MS is a subject close to my heart, so this type of thing really angers me. It's really just another example of bureaucracy gone wild, they just find new ways of being bureaucratic
Id would not be surprised if they have been infiltrated by Stonewall and their nefarious agenda

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
90, ms, sack, society, volunteer, year