Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 08-03-2024, 04:02 PM #26
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Constantine ... there's a character in DC Comics I love called that, was he a magician of sorts?
It is indeed the DC Constantine - though I'd say the CW Legends of Tomorrow version is a more faithful adaptation of the character. It's from 2005 i.e. pre-Iron Man i.e. back when comic adaptations were a little looser than they tend to be now.

Standalone it is a decent enough film though. I've heard they're doing a sequel, presumably with him as a more "seasoned" Constantine and thus closer to the source material.

Last edited by Soldier Boy; 08-03-2024 at 04:03 PM.
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 04:09 PM #27
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Not to be a geek also but Constantine (cononically) is not a magician or exorcist (though he does do magic and exorcisms) - he is a Warlock, i.e. a sorcerer who uses dark/demonic magic (albeit in this case mostly to do good things).

This is an important distinction if you happen to be someone who is a little obsessive about these sorts of details
Old 08-03-2024, 04:11 PM #28
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
…he was an exorcist person, I think he was half angel and was very helpful with supernatural type stuff…maybe he was based on a DC character, I’m not sure actually but that could be so…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
It is indeed the DC Constantine - though I'd say the CW Legends of Tomorrow version is a more faithful adaptation of the character. It's from 2005 i.e. pre-Iron Man i.e. back when comic adaptations were a little looser than they tend to be now.

Standalone it is a decent enough film though. I've heard they're doing a sequel, presumably with him as a more "seasoned" Constantine and thus closer to the source material.
I've since looked into it, and while he's based on the same character, I'm not surprised they took some liberties with the material - I wouldn't have thought Keanu would be playing him as a bisexual chainsmoking potty-mouthed Scouser

A while back I was quite into CW, but it fizzled out when I didn't have the resources to watch it all I didn't get to LoT before that point, but I've heard it's great.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 04:15 PM #29
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
Not to be a geek also but Constantine (cononically) is not a magician or exorcist (though he does do magic and exorcisms) - he is a Warlock, i.e. a sorcerer who uses dark/demonic magic (albeit in this case mostly to do good things).

This is an important distinction if you happen to be someone who is a little obsessive about these sorts of details
Oh I am, I'm sure I've bitched here before about adaptations not being comic-perfect

My favourite thing said about Constantine was when Tim Hunter said "he'd probably trap the demon in a packet of Silk Cut and then forget about it"

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 04:19 PM #30
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:

A while back I was quite into CW, but it fizzled out when I didn't have the resources to watch it all I didn't get to LoT before that point, but I've heard it's great.
The first season was OK, then it had a couple of absolutely great seasons (genuinely the best of CWDC along with the first few seasons of Arrow). The last season and a half wasn't as good unfortunately, a lot of the core cast dipped out and the replacements just weren't up to scratch.

CW Constantine is indeed a bisexual (not unusual for The CW) potty-mouthed (semi-unusual for the CW) chain-smoking (EXTREMELY unusual for the CW) working-class... English person. IIRC I don't think he's Scouse, or if he is it's a very light accent. Turns out being from Liverpool was the stretch too far .
Old 08-03-2024, 04:21 PM #31
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Oh I am, I'm sure I've bitched here before about adaptations not being comic-perfect

My favourite thing said about Constantine was when Tim Hunter said "he'd probably trap the demon in a packet of Silk Cut and then forget about it"
Funnily enough I think there's a Legends episode where it turns out he has a demon trapped in a painting under an old sheet in his attic that he just sort of lobbed up there and forgot about for decades. I wonder if it's a reference to that quote...

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
english, keanu, reeves, thought, years