Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 24-03-2002, 06:06 PM #1

Default Gareth doesn\'t beat Will

I'm not sure how many singles Gareth sold this week, but it was less than 1 million.

I was just listening to Dr Fox on the Pepsi chart and when he interviewed Gareth just before he played Unchained Melody he said Gareth had the second highest selling debut single of all time, and that by next week he was sure that it would go over the million sales.

After all that hype Gareth still didn't manage to sell as many singles as Will. If it was at any other time the amount he has sold would have seemed phenomenal, but for the second time he just couldn't beat Will.

They have both got good voices but I still think that Will is just that little bit more special. I hope they both go on to do brilliantly well, but I still have a feeling that we will be hearing from Mr Young for a lot longer than Mr Gates.

LEE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2002, 06:52 PM #2

More to the point - what happened to George Michael? Towards the end of the week it looked like Will probably would beat him, but then he only managed number 7!

Ananova says Gareth sold 900,000 singles, which still breaks loads of records. Fastest selling record by a teenager, as well as youngest UK male artist with number one etc. And Britney saying he's cute! He won't be complaining about that.

What's more impressive is that normally they release 2 copies of a single so the really keen fans buy both, and the big releases tend to be heavily discounted to improve sales. Will and Gareth only had one version and there was no discounting. However, it'll be interesting to see what happens with the 2nd singles and albums to see what happens without the push of a tv series/prime time special or high profile tour.

PI Big Band album first! I heard Zoe is releasing a single from that. Be Happy and I've got you under my skin. It's a double-A side because her fans are supposed to be either quite old, or very young. The older fans like I've got you under my skin, and the youngsters like Be Happy. I must be a youngster.
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2002, 06:28 PM #3

I like both of Zoe's songs so that must make me middle-aged?!?

I was pleased that Gareth's single didn't outsell Will's debut total, purely from the point of view that at least it quashes the media hype!

What did happen to George? Even Marilyn Manson, who's hardly mainstream, outsold him.

And Gareth and Britney???!! Well stranger things have happened, I guess? Sounds more likely to be a quotable quote to coincide with the premiere of her "Crossroads" movie though - maybe I'm just cynical.
kaphc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2002, 06:32 PM #4

Quote:
Originally posted by kaphc
Gareth and Britney???!! Well stranger things have happened, I guess? Sounds more likely to be a quotable quote to coincide with the premiere of her "Crossroads" movie though - maybe I'm just cynical.
Britney was in the studio with Dr Fox when he was running down the Pepsi Chart on Sunday and I actually heard her say this.

When Foxy phoned up Gareth just before the number one spot Brittany spoke to him and Gareth seems more overwhelmed by this than the fact that he had got a number one single.

LEE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2002, 07:32 PM #5

I wish Gareth every success with his number 1 single , but I still love The Righteous Brothers singing it, and in Ghost it was so moving
Maggie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2002, 07:58 PM #6

I am in the minority here because I actually prefer Gareth to Will, although as I have said before they are both equally as talented and both particularly nice guys. And speaking as a Gareth fan I still think that Will has had a bit of a raw deal as far as having 19 management 100% behind him. They have not been very fair to him on a couple of ocassions namely the business over performing both A side songs on TOTP and secondly releasing a single by Gareth so close to Will's debut release. I really think they should have left it a few weeks so that Will could have his moment a while longer. It's hard to see just who was the winner sometimes because even though Will did exceptionally well with his record sales he does seem to be being pushed aside to make way for 19's golden boy. Now, as I said I am a big Gareth fan, but I can see that fairness has played little part in the treatment of Will. I hope they both go on to have very long and successful careers.

Honey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2002, 08:28 PM #7

Quote:
Originally posted by kaphc
I was pleased that Gareth's single didn't outsell Will's debut total, purely from the point of view that at least it quashes the media hype!
Me too. Now they've got the debut singles and made their first official marks in the music world, let's hope they can be allowed to get on with the serious business of making something to be proud of. Has anyone else heard it, but I was told Will's album won't be out until the Autumn so they can focus on getting the right material. This is good news, because even if Will and his top-notch team of songwriters and producers can do it in time for the Summer, cynics will assume fast work is shoddy work, so there's no need to give them excuses to criticise. However, the (not that reliable) press give the impression he's really busy recording it between shows and promotional work. We know Will's a fast worker, but Bacharach might not be able to work as fast as he used to. How old do you think he is now? If it's definite he's releasing Light My Fire they might just be interested in getting a few tracks together as potential B-sides. I'm assuming they'll be avoiding another Double-A for a bit.

It sounds like Gareth's been doing loads too, working mainly with Cathy Dennis. She was quoted as saying he's really keen. She plays him the song and he rushes off to get the hang of it on the piano. I imagine him bounding around like an enthusiastic puppy to match his puppy-dog eyes.
Old 26-03-2002, 03:41 PM #8
Administrator

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Feefs
... I was told Will's album won't be out until the Autumn so they can focus on getting the right material.
I found the following information on the HMV website:

Browse Discography "Will Young"

Evergreen/ Anything Is Possible
Will Young - Release date 25-02-2002
CDS £3.99

Light My Fire (next single)
Will Young - Release date 27-05-2002
CDS £4.99

Title To Be Confirmed (album)
Will Young - Release date 03-06-2002
CD £13.99

So it looks as though the album will be out earlier than you thought, Feefs!
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2002, 04:24 PM #9
WILDCHILD2K1

WILDCHILD2K1

Thanks for that info Kaz, so, Light my fire definetely is his next single!! Cant wait for that one to come out!

I also read in the paper yesterday and this was the Daily Express I think and it was talking about Gareth being more successful than Will. They were saying that Will made a mistake coming out and that in the long term Gareth will have more success
To conclude it, it said:
"Will and Gareth will soon realise that it is down to marketing not melodies that make you successful'
How pathetic is that? Honestly, as much as I like Gareth and wish him all thes best, I seriuosly dont believe that Gareth will last longer than Will.
I might type up some of the artcile later but Ive just got in from school,so give me a while, Ive been workin all day!!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2002, 06:47 PM #10
WILDCHILD2K1

WILDCHILD2K1

Hey, I just got this article from Ananova, tell me wot you make of it?

Pop Idol fans beat noise record at Sheffield gig

Gareth Gates' fans at a Sheffield concert have screamed their way into the record books.

They reached 130 decibels when the Bradford singer was performing at the Sheffield Arena's Pop Idol concert.

This makes them the loudest recorded fans in the history of pop.

The sound is almost as loud as standing 40 feet away from a supersonic jet.

The screams for Will Young reached 120 decibels - eight decibels less than the noise made by fans of Hear'Say last September.

And both sets of Pop Idol fans topped the decibel-readings for former chart idols Take That, Boyzone and Bros.

Gareth told The Sheffield Star: "It was great to come home to Yorkshire and all I can say is wow to the sound. It almost bent my spikes back!"

Story filed: 15:37 Tuesday 26th March 2002

Old 27-03-2002, 10:23 AM #11

Quote:
Originally posted by WILDCHILD2K1
I also read in the paper yesterday and this was the Daily Express I think and it was talking about Gareth being more successful than Will. They were saying that Will made a mistake coming out and that in the long term Gareth will have more success
It's the Express showing it's homophobic side again. Interestingly, The Mail holds similar views that the nation is incapable loving a gay man as a Pop Idol. His continued massive sales and reception at the PI concerts show this is not the case. A few narrow minded people might be turned away, but in the great scheme of things Will is better off being out and minus a few fans than the other way round. Anyway, there will always be the people like Elton John who suddely like him now he's gay.

Some people still think it's ill advised for any young popstar to admit to being in a relationship either, but fortunately times seem to be changing. Most teenage girls will even cope if Gareth gets a girlfriend (although the girls sitting behind me at the concert will probably hate her judging by their reaction to Zoe not reappearing at the end).

In these times where people are becoming more tolerant, the conservative papers are finding it harder to openly criticise a nice gay person, but they know their barbed comments will strike a chord with a portion of their readership. Don't even get me started on what's happened to the suspended police chief.

Wildchild - I love the "40 ft from a supersonic jet" story too. Is this when it is flying at supersonic speeds, because I can't really relate to that, but it sounds LOUD. That story was in today's Star too next to one about some granny knitting Will a Willy warmer now he's lost his lucky pants! What is the world coming go? Someone should tell the Mail she doesn't mind.
Old 29-03-2002, 06:07 PM #12
WILDCHILD2K1

WILDCHILD2K1

Aww, how sweet is that about the granny knitting him some lucky pants - you can just imagine it!

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
beat, gareth