Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 22-08-2007, 12:41 PM #1

Default Heroes - Overrated? *May Contain Spoilers*

*I'm going to do my best to try and avoid spoilers here*

First of it is very clear that the writers are making it up as they go along and not planning far ahead. Heck, even Tim Kring the show creator said that "you shouldn't be looking for logic, just enjoy the show".

Obviously, the whole season of Heroes was building up to 2 events. I'm not going to name them to avoid spoilers, but you know which two. But LOL. Both disappointed... mostly for the fact they made no sense. The amount of power that was given to basically all of the cast members was ridicilious. Yet they didn't use it (except Hayden Panettiere and Greg Grunberg). The thing is, you knew from episode 1 what's going to be in the finale. So the 22 episode build up, suspense went to waste when the finale aired. How cool is that!

It is awfully paced, with at least 4 useless characters. Should I just say Niki? DL? Micah? That being said, seemingly, the writers spend so much time with character development, yet.... yet all of the characters seem underdeveloped.

The episodes are loaded with filler scenes with awkward acting and dialouge, one line that springs to mind is when Claire's Mum says "I don't know him... and I don't know you", you have to see it to appreciate how bad written and presented that line is but of course most people don't remember that because it comes in and ends with a BANG. A cliffhanger. How cool is that! But luckily, every wonder lasts only 1 season. People are already realizing it's low points, and most likely season 2 will be looked at more realistically.

There's the dialouge. WHAT! That's... ridicilious. I can't believe people who write that garbage get nominated for an Emmy. The general writing quality as low. Dialouges, story, all make no sense. There was one episode which I really enjoyed, though, but what a surprise, it was written by a guest writer, and that episode was 1x17 - Company Man.

The acting... where do I begin? Really, Greg Grunberg and Hayden is are the only good actors. Jack Coleman improved as the season progressed, but other than these two... I especially love how Masi Oka is considered an "amazing" actor just because his character is funny. I have yet to see some actin on his part, no only one liners and funny faces.

Then there's the music. I really can't stand it, although I know alot people like it, but for me it's a huge turn off.

Oh and one more thing. The CGI. They have very high budget, yet they won't use it. I don't know what they use it for, but this won't work anymore. If they won't use CGI, they should be thinking renaming the show from Heroes to Average People.

Bottomline is, Heroes is an average popcorn show, that can be entertaining, if you know where to have your expections, and if you're willing to basically turn your brain off. This is my opinion and I understand alot of people here like Heroes and will probably lash out at me saying how bad Lost is etc. but that is fair as it is YOUR opinion as this is MY opinion.

And if you've read this far, well done. As you may be able to guess I am very bored with nothing to do today.
Blowout is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 12:53 PM #2
ylvis♥

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: John & Edward

ylvis♥

Favourites:

I don't see how people can compare it to Lost. IMO Lost is AMAZING. Best TV show i've ever seen. At least, on some level i can understand what's going on in Lost, but I can't say the same about Heroes.
Sarah. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 01:27 PM #3
can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

Favourites:

Ironic how you're talking about bad pacing when you're account is filled with LOST avatars/signatures. LOST even got an episode cut because the pacing was so bad. I think the ratings have also proved this - a drop of around 5 million people? There's nothing more to write about with LOST. I mean, a town in a jungle type place? PMSL OK.....
MarkWaldorf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 02:58 PM #4

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkChap?!
Ironic how you're talking about bad pacing when you're account is filled with LOST avatars/signatures. LOST even got an episode cut because the pacing was so bad. I think the ratings have also proved this - a drop of around 5 million people? There's nothing more to write about with LOST. I mean, a town in a jungle type place? PMSL OK.....
From your post it sounds as though you don't actually watch Lost, at least not anymore (I may be wrong but that's how it comes across). Because if you did you would know there isn't just a town (which is just Baraches not a town) in the middle of the island there's a reason for it which has been explained and makes perfect sense. Also a town in a jungle doesn't make sense to you but people who can turn invisible, fly etc. does?

As for the episode cut, that was the creators decision as they wanted to have two more seasons but as it's a there number 1 show ABC wanted it for three more years so they decided on 16 episodes a year instead of the usual 23 so they didn't have to stretch and extend the storylines and can tell them as they want to.

You really can't compare Lost Season 3 ratings with Heroes Season 1 ratings as Lost has had two years longer to make an impact and have people tune off or new people tune in. I'm willing to bet money that when Heroes is in its third season it will have lost a number of viewers also, all shows do. But because Lost had such a huge audience in it's first season it has more to lose. If you want to do a fair comparison check Lost Season 1 ratings with Heroes Season 1 ratings.

Also there is plenty more to tell on Lost with so much still a mystery and that we now have events of after they are of the island to see.
Old 22-08-2007, 03:26 PM #5
Banned

Banned

I like Heroes more, it's just more interesting then Lost. I really don't like lost it's tedious borng and uninteresting. Great! Let's give each character depth so they can sit around the campfire and gossip about what they think is happening in Corrie!

Heroes has a few useless characters but Lost has about 10. I've always thought Lost takes people for mugs, because I can tell you now, nothing will probably get answered till the last season.

Heroes has problems but it's nowhere as bad as lost is, in my humble opinion.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 03:53 PM #6

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by Blowout
Quote:
From your post it sounds as though you don't actually watch Lost, at least not anymore (I may be wrong but that's how it comes across). Because if you did you would know there isn't just a town (which is just Baraches not a town) in the middle of the island there's a reason for it which has been explained and makes perfect sense. Also a town in a jungle doesn't make sense to you but people who can turn invisible, fly etc. does?

As for the episode cut, that was the creators decision as they wanted to have two more seasons but as it's a there number 1 show ABC wanted it for three more years so they decided on 16 episodes a year instead of the usual 23 so they didn't have to stretch and extend the storylines and can tell them as they want to.

You really can't compare Lost Season 3 ratings with Heroes Season 1 ratings as Lost has had two years longer to make an impact and have people tune off or new people tune in. I'm willing to bet money that when Heroes is in its third season it will have lost a number of viewers also, all shows do. But because Lost had such a huge audience in it's first season it has more to lose. If you want to do a fair comparison check Lost Season 1 ratings with Heroes Season 1 ratings.

Also there is plenty more to tell on Lost with so much still a mystery and that we now have events of after they are of the island to see.
No, I don't watch it. My dad has both seasons on DVD, which I tried watching, but couldn't get into. Also my friend who watches it told me of the 'town in the jungle' thing - so I hadn't seen for myself whether was it was a town or not.

Heroes had to have the whole Sylar storyline all the way through, because it won't run into series 2. Tim Kring has said each season is a different volume - series 2 explores how new heroes react to their powers. But with LOST, it always continues from the finale into the next season.
Old 22-08-2007, 04:00 PM #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Dezzy
I like Heroes more, it's just more interesting then Lost. I really don't like lost it's tedious borng and uninteresting. Great! Let's give each character depth so they can sit around the campfire and gossip about what they think is happening in Corrie!

Heroes has a few useless characters but Lost has about 10. I've always thought Lost takes people for mugs, because I can tell you now, nothing will probably get answered till the last season.

Lost has had questions answered though, we know why the Polar bears are there, why Locke is in a wheelchair, why the Plane crashed, what Kate did, what the Dharma did and what happended to them and many more. But this isn't supposed to be a Heroes VS Lost thread, the two aren't even similar and you can't compare something in it's third season to something fresh and new in it's first sesson.
Old 22-08-2007, 04:09 PM #8
ylvis♥

Favourites:

ylvis♥

Favourites:

Quote:

Tedious, boring, uninteresting? I'm sorry but I've been a Lost fan from day 1 and I started watching heroes, and I don't care if i miss it because it doesn't interest me. Have you watched all 3 series, every episode of Lost? It doesn't seem like you have to call it boring!

Actually Lost doesn't have useless characters, each one of them has a reason to be on the island, which is explained in their flashbacks! And as you say nothing gets answered, well a lot of things had to be answered in Season 3, and were, yet still there are unanswered things that people still want to find out which makes them watch the next season. Which is how a TV show should work, if theres nothing to wonder about, then why keep watching?

The last thing you say is also untrue. I really don't see any major problems with Lost at all.
Sarah. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 04:52 PM #9

The one good thing Heroes has going for it is Hayden as she is fit!
Lostie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 05:45 PM #10

Favourites:
Strictly 2009: Chris & Ola
I'm a Celeb 2009: Gino D'Acampo

Favourites:
Strictly 2009: Chris & Ola
I'm a Celeb 2009: Gino D'Acampo

I love Heroes.. but I've missed the past two episodes which is a shame. It was a little hard to understand at first but the more you watch all the episodes, the more they make sence. Lost on the other hand confuses me soo much!
Sophii3x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 10:48 PM #11

i havent seen Heroes or loat
be i think heroes looks ok

but lost is the most overrated show after Dr Who
SiMoN! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 11:22 PM #12

Quote:
Originally posted by SiMoN!

If you haven't seen it, how do you know it's overrated?
Old 25-08-2007, 06:19 PM #13

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Quote:

I think he might just mean all the hype over it or something?
Old 25-08-2007, 10:26 PM #14

Quote:
Quote:

i mean from the bits i have seen and heard about
SiMoN! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 10:46 AM #15

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
But what I mean is that if you haven't seen the show it could live up to all the hype.

There is one thing we have in common MarkChap?! I love Buffy, it was my obsession before Lost came along, I love Angel also.
Old 26-08-2007, 10:53 AM #16

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
But what I mean is that if you haven't seen the show it could live up to all the hype.

There is one thing we have in common MarkChap?! I love Buffy, it was my obsession before Lost came along, I love Angel also.
You're the second person to tell me that today on here. Buffy is the best television show ever created IMO. It was my obsession too, never missed an episode. I didn't really get into Angel, it seemed a lot darker than Buffy and I was only a child when it was out. Do you still watch it today? I'm rewatching all the episodes now.
Old 26-08-2007, 10:59 AM #17

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

You're the second person to tell me that today on here. Buffy is the best television show ever created IMO. It was my obsession too, never missed an episode. I didn't really get into Angel, it seemed a lot darker than Buffy and I was only a child when it was out. Do you still watch it today? I'm rewatching all the episodes now.
Yeah I still watch them on DVD and when I catch them on TV. Chosen and Once More With Feeling are the best.
Old 26-08-2007, 11:04 AM #18
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I love Buffy and Angel, it's amazing! Best episodes of Buffy were The Gift, Becoming (think that's what it is called), once more with feeling and the dark Willow episodes!
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 11:15 AM #19

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I love Buffy and Angel, it's amazing! Best episodes of Buffy were The Gift, Becoming (think that's what it is called), once more with feeling and the dark Willow episodes!
The Gift is amazing, such an emotional episode. I'm not ashamed to admit I did cry when she died.

Quote:
Yeah I still watch them on DVD and when I catch them on TV. Chosen and Once More With Feeling are the best.
They're great episodes, Chosen could have been better though. OMWF was a fantastic episode!

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
heroes, overrated, spoilers