Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 31-03-2002, 02:46 PM #1

Default Ronan describes PI tour as Karaoke show on the road!

According to the Sunday Mirror, Ronan Keating has "launched a blistering attack" on PI etc and says the tour is rediculous because they aren't proper pop stars and are only famous for being tv.

Personally I see this as a bit of a pot and kettle black scenario, as it's unlikely he sang an original composition during his Boyzone audition, not for any of their early releases.

I'd heard the rest of Boyzone don't like him anymore because he thinks he's better than them and all that they represented. I've no idea how true that is, but he definitely seems to think he's now a serious musician. I heard his new song on the radio yesterday, and I liked it, but if he's going to turn into a prima donna, then I'll find it hard to enjoy his music.

He is also very critical of the management, but does admit Will and Gareth are talented, so might survive. That interested me, because I thought Westlife came from the same stable, and Ronan was co-manager of them in the early days. I suspect he might have a few gripes about that, and of course the brand new competition that makes it harder for him to get the publicity he needs.

Anyway, here's the link. I'd be interested to hear what you think about it. I used to like him, so I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ronan interview
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-03-2002, 07:32 PM #2
WILDCHILD2K1

WILDCHILD2K1

I sense a bit of jealousy here - same with Robbie who is not happy about Will and his song writing.
Why cant Ronan accept that music is changing? Why cant they go on a national tour - they all have good voices, they entertained the country for months - if its what the fans want, why not give it to them, I want it - Im going - TOMORROW!!!!!!
The whole point that Will won Pop Idol was because people recognized his individuality and fantastic singing voice. At the end of the day, he has worked hard for his place in the music industry, maybe more so than anyone else. He auditioned like all other singers and he made each song his own with a different style.
I dont know about this story, maybe it has been exaggerated because the story on Ananova is a little more postive and Ronan wishes Will welland hopes he does really good with his tour.

I think at the end of the day, Will and Gareth have good voices and a talent; if this is recognised they will continue to do well; the record sales will soon prove this.
The reason Hear'Say havent lasted is because a bunch of producers picked them and not the oublic, unlike Pop Idol, there are a lot of people out there who like Will and are not gonna give up on him, they will continue to buy his records if he keeps up that fantasic voice!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-03-2002, 08:56 PM #3
Administrator

Administrator

It appears to me that Ronan is conveniently using the excuse of commenting on the Pop Idol tour as an opportunity to get his own name back in the public eye, especially as he has a new single out shortly.

However, he did make a valid point, and one which was also discussed on this forum, when he said it was not clever of the management team to bring Gareth's record out on the back of Will's. He also said : '"It's fine for them because they reap the rewards either way but not for the artist - that's not nice and it wasn't nice on Will' - and I totally agree with that comment.

All in all, I think it's just a cute publicity stunt.
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 09:42 AM #4

When is the last time Ronan sang an original song? Right now he's just copying other people and he's probably feeling the pressure.

I personally think the gorgeous Will has a much better voice than Ronan, and it would be interesting to see if Ronan could have coped with the 10 weeks of having to sing all different types of music live and in front of judges and an audience of 500!

I don't think he'd be saying what he is now if he did!!!!!!!
Janette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 09:44 AM #5

By the way, Ronan's new song is a cover of country singer Garth Brooks huge hit "If Tomorrow Never Comes" which Garth wrote for his wife.

And it may be good but it's nowhere near as good as the original!
Old 02-04-2002, 11:22 AM #6

Thanks for clearing that up Janette. I heard him give a very good live performance of it at the weekend on the radio at the weekend, which I enjoyed (pre-reading annoying story), but was frustrated because I was sure it was someone else's song. However, in the discussion no-one mentioned who else had done it, so I thought it was perhaps one of those songs that sounds like it's been around forever.

The way I see what it, Ronan wasn't being critical of the PI finalists. He said he'd heard the show was good, the performances were good and that people enjoyed it. He named Will and Gareth as both having more than enough talent to deserve their place in the charts and made a very positive comment about that talent needing nurturing.

I just think it's a shame he had to spoil what could have been a constructive contribution to the debate by implying we, the viewing/purchasing public have gone mad by thinking the PI tour is legitimate musical entertainment. That somehow being familiar with their musical talent through watching them sing a variety of musical styles for weeks on end is less legitimate than having released more singles. It is classic double standards, because I know for a fact that Westlife (who he co-managed) featured on the Smash Hits tour before they'd released a record either. It comes across more that he thinks they achieved their fame through devious means, rather than not being talented. If he really did feel that Popstars and Pop Idol were that scurrilous, then he shouldn't have appeared on the Irish version of the show. I doubt there are many artists in the charts who got it by being spotted busking outside Simon Cowell's favourite lap-dancing club.

There are lots of dodgy goings on in the music industry, but PI didn’t invent them, it simply let us take a peak at what has been going on for years. If anything, the process was less dodgy and more rigorous than the normal boy band or teen idol recruitment due the (partial) transparency. The really devious promotion occurs when we don’t realise it - the back handers or schmoosing required to get the relevant artist onto the relevant play-lists, or an interview in Smash Hits etc, and of course to get the radio stations to stop playing the previous record in time for the new one. This was a big nightmare for EMI and Kylie. There was talk of deleting Can’t get you out of my head, because it’s continued success was completely knackering their schedule.

BTW Ronan. The real reason they wouldn’t release a Boyzone/Ronan record close to a Westlife record is because people can’t differentiate between them. We had weeks to work out the difference between Will and Gareth, and I don’t think any of us got confused. I think it would have been nice for Will to have one extra week at the top now we know how well it did, and that no-one bought George Michael, but I still think it is to his benefit to not have him sitting at the top of the charts for weeks. His second single will be so much better I’d rather people go to listen to that.

I’m far less worried about Will, Gareth or any of the others than I am of most pop novices. Their reputation already carries weight, so the record companies know they can’t be pushed about as much as normal.

I translate it rather as “They’re getting all the publicity, it’s not fair and I want some”. He’s as much a part of the establishment as Cowell, and knows what he needs to do.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:44 PM #7

I used to like Ronan Keating - gone right off him now though!

I think my interest started to wane when I realised that everytime he sang live he seemed to go into 'pub singer' mode; over the top, lots of growls in the voice etc - did my head in.

Have not heard his version of 'If Tomorrow Never Comes' but agree with Janette - he'll never come close to Garth Brooks version - that's a classic. Barry Manilow did a version too but let's not even go there! To be fair, Boyzone did a decent version of Tracy Chapman's 'Baby Can I Hold you' - again though, nothing could ever touch the original.

Anyway Ronan, suppose a bit of publicity will do your record sales no harm at all - or is that me just being cynical?
susieq is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 10:57 PM #8

I'm sure that's exactly why he's done it!

BTW another country cover he did was "When You Say Nothing At All", no mention of the original artist who was Alison Krauss.

And Boyzone did "I Love The Way You Love Me" which was again by a country singer called John Michael Montgomery.

I have all these originals, and Ronan just doesn't compare!

Can't he find a good original song to sing?
Old 04-04-2002, 08:40 AM #9

I'm going to confess my ignorance. I didn't even know "When you say nothing at all" was a cover until now. I rather liked his version, but that's made easier when you have nothing to compare it against.

I don't really mind covers, because if like me you are musically ignorant, or just young (real reason, honest) then there would be lots of great songs you would miss out on if covers were banned. I agree about Tracy Chapman being better, but I always preferred Boyzone (or almost anyone else) to the Bee Gees' versions of songs.

This might seem hypocritical, but one of the few exceptions is Night Fever. They're version of it is the best, and no-one, even Will can't compete. Actually I didn't like Will's version, but that's not the point. On the whole the Bee Gees were (are?) great song writers, but aren't up to scratch on the performance side. Night Fever and Staying Alive are unusual in that they suit the cat wailing effect.

BZ classic Words - they did a good job. BGs version shouldn't be allowed on the radio.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
describes, karaoke, pi, road, ronan, show, tour