Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 31-08-2007, 04:11 PM #26
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack
Quote:
Originally posted by Z
I wouldn't say I don't care...
Quote:
Originally posted by Z
I honestly don't care
Like Lauren said, this is not a mourning of her death but a celebration of her life.

I honestly don't care - that she died 10 years ago.

I wouldn't say I don't care... - that she did a lot of great work in her life.

Do you see the difference there? I care that she put a lot of work into charity. She's an admirable woman. I don't care that she died 10 years ago, that's not important to me.

And yes, I read that the post that said it was a celebration of her life, it was posted at the same time I posted about mourning.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 04:12 PM #27
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by OfficialSuperstar
Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren
Quote:
Lauren to be fair, there seems to be a celebration of her life all the time
So there should.

However, today isn't for us - the public. It's for her family (her sons, her ex-husband) to celebrate the time they had together. Should they have cancelled this occasion just because people are sick of reading about it? Seriously?
Why put it on tv then?
Because there is public demand for it.

The royal family, her friends, her acquaitances didn't put it on TV.
The media did.
They had the service, they only invited close friends - it was the MEDIA who decided to splash it everywhere.
Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 04:14 PM #28

Quote:
Oh Ok I dont see why she needs it all though. We dont need a celebration of her life every few months
Every few months? It's been 10 years, which is a milestone. On September 11th 2011, when people are remembering all those that died in the terror attacks, should people say "move on" and "we don't care"?
Jack is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 04:17 PM #29
Z

Z

Quote:
Quote:
Oh Ok I dont see why she needs it all though. We dont need a celebration of her life every few months
Every few months? It's been 10 years, which is a milestone. On September 11th 2011, when people are remembering all those that died in the terror attacks, should people say "move on" and "we don't care"?
That's an unfair comparison to make, September the 11th 2001 saw the death of around 3000 people, as a part of an act of terrorism, which represented that the USA's not as free as they thought they were.

Princess Diana's death was a car crash. I agree, it's a shame that she died in that way, but nowhere near as tragic as the death of 3000 innocent people.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:18 PM #30

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Lauren Simon
BB2023: Chanelle

Favourites (more):

Im talking about the massive concert held for her, which wa sonly a few months ago
Billy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 04:20 PM #31
Z

Z

Quote:
Im talking about the massive concert held for her, which wa sonly a few months ago
Yeah, I can't remember what that was for, I know it was Diana related. But it seemed so fake to me, it was just a bunch of performers on a stage, in the name of a woman who worked tirelessly for charity, equality, etcetera. I just didn't see the connection there, and it was a pointless PR stunt.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:23 PM #32
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by Z

Princess Diana's death was a car crash. I agree, it's a shame that she died in that way, but nowhere near as tragic as the death of 3000 innocent people.
She was murdered by papparazi. She was also innocent.

Difference between her and 9/11 victims is that she saved thousands of lives whereas the majority of 9/11 victims didn't.

It's unfair comparing how deserving a life is of celebration?!
How can you possibly say that 9/11 victims should be celebrated whereas Diana's death shouldn't be?
Old 31-08-2007, 04:24 PM #33
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by Z
Quote:
Yeah, I can't remember what that was for, I know it was Diana related. But it seemed so fake to me, it was just a bunch of performers on a stage, in the name of a woman who worked tirelessly for charity, equality, etcetera. I just didn't see the connection there, and it was a pointless PR stunt.
1) The money raised went towards her charities.
2) It was William + Harry that organised it, because one of the main passions in her life was music and it was claimed it was the only thing keeping her from suicide.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:25 PM #34

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

the difference between 9/11 is we do a memorial for that once a year
Old 31-08-2007, 04:26 PM #35
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
the difference between 9/11 is we do a memorial for that once a year

"People should get over it"
"I'm sick of seeing it on my TV screen"
Old 31-08-2007, 04:27 PM #36

Quote:
Originally posted by Z
Quote:
Quote:
That's an unfair comparison to make, September the 11th 2001 saw the death of around 3000 people, as a part of an act of terrorism, which represented that the USA's not as free as they thought they were.

It's not an unfair comparison because your argument was that it's been so long that we should move on. All I'm saying is that when it's the 10th anniversary of 9/11 should people move on and "not care" about it?
Old 31-08-2007, 04:29 PM #37
Z

Z

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Z

She was murdered by papparazi. She was also innocent.

Difference between her and 9/11 victims is that she saved thousands of lives whereas the majority of 9/11 victims didn't.

It's unfair comparing how deserving a life is of celebration?!
How can you possibly say that 9/11 victims should be celebrated whereas Diana's death shouldn't be?

No, I believe she was murdered by crashing at a high speed .

Oh and that's not disrespectful, before somebody jumps me.

She didn't save thousands of lives, she provided the tools to save thousands of lives, but that's not an official figure, just an optimistic estimate, and that can't be denied. I'm not trying to make out that she didn't do great things, because she did, and I don't think I said she wasn't worthy of having her life celebrated? I said that I don't think her life is that worthy that she should be on the front page of the news. Mother Teresa, Mahatma Gandhi, these are the types of people I'd expect to have their lives celebrated in such a manner.

And it wasn't me who brought up the 9/11 victims, originally, I was making the point that there was a huge difference in the circumstances.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:31 PM #38
Nah

Nah

We had a 3 hours special show in France today, maybe because she died in France.
Well what happen is tragic but it had to finish like that. I'm not szying she deserved it but that was her destiny, she was the stereotype of the poor Princess.
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 04:33 PM #39
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by Z

And it wasn't me who brought up the 9/11 victims, originally, I was making the point that there was a huge difference in the circumstances.
Jack brought it up to show that those lives shouldn't be considered more news-worthy than Diana's life. Why should we accept that they're shown on our news every single year yet when Diana is celebrated for her 10 year anniversary people say they should move on?
Thats as if you're claiming that the 9/11 victims should be missed whereas Diana shouldn't be?

Edit: And if it wasn't for the papparazzi chasing her at high speed she'd never have crashed - to me that holds them responsible.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:34 PM #40
Z

Z

Quote:

It's not an unfair comparison because your argument was that it's been so long that we should move on. All I'm saying is that when it's the 10th anniversary of 9/11 should people move on and "not care" about it?
I'd say it's a hugely unfair comparison, there's a massive difference between one person's death and 3000 peoples' deaths. So yes, I'm sticking by my original point, people should move on. Diana's death was saddening for a huge number of people, but it wasn't for me, I don't think that I'm being disrespectful when I say that, because I know and appreciate all of the things she did in her life.

When it's the 10th anniversary of 9/11, people should move on, but they should remember it, and they will, because 3000 people died. I don't think that one person's death should be such a momentous occasion after 10 years. I don't think this would have gotten anywhere near as much as media attention if Diana hadn't been royalty, do you? That's not her fault, obviously, but this media attention, and the over-reaction to her death irritates me.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:35 PM #41

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Ok I apologise Lauren for disrespecting Diana, and she has the right to be missed as does everyone who is passed, as I would hate for someoen to say my gran shouldnt be missed
Old 31-08-2007, 04:35 PM #42
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by Z
When it's the 10th anniversary of 9/11, people should move on, but they should remember it, and they will, because 3000 people died. I don't think that one person's death should be such a momentous occasion after 10 years. I don't think this would have gotten anywhere near as much as media attention if Diana hadn't been royalty, do you? That's not her fault, obviously, but this media attention, and the over-reaction to her death irritates me.
Yet consider this.

Those 3000 lives together don't mean as much as Diana as a mother to William and Harry.
I'd feel the same!

If my mum died, her life would mean more to me than 3000 strangers.
They shouldn't not celebrate just cos people are sick of seeing her face in the media.

Edit: And thank you Billy, that was my point. Although she may not have directly affected someones life - she was still someones mother, someones daughter, a sister, wife etc. They celebrated amongst themselves, it's just unfortunate the media act on it like prey.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:36 PM #43

It was so long ago i was 6 i can just remeber it being on the news like i dident really know wh9o she was then.
CassetteFinger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 04:40 PM #44

Quote:
Originally posted by Z
I'd say it's a hugely unfair comparison, there's a massive difference between one person's death and 3000 peoples' deaths. So yes, I'm sticking by my original point, people should move on. Diana's death was saddening for a huge number of people, but it wasn't for me, I don't think that I'm being disrespectful when I say that, because I know and appreciate all of the things she did in her life.

So the victims of 9/11 are more important and should be missed more than Diana? I didn't have to use that example, I could have used a number of examples. Elvis presley died 30 years ago, of which the anninversary was 2 weeks ago. People celebrated his life and music, and remembered him. So why shouldn't people for Diana?
Old 31-08-2007, 04:43 PM #45
Z

Z

Quote:

Jack brought it up to show that those lives shouldn't be considered more news-worthy than Diana's life. Why should we accept that they're shown on our news every single year yet when Diana is celebrated for her 10 year anniversary people say they should move on?
Thats as if you're claiming that the 9/11 victims should be missed whereas Diana shouldn't be?

Edit: And if it wasn't for the papparazzi chasing her at high speed she'd never have crashed - to me that holds them responsible.

Diana's death is celebrated every year, it's always in the news, and that can't be denied. But the lives of those who died in 9/11 aren't more news-worthy, and I don't think in today's media, they are considered more news-worthy, Diana seems to be in the news regularly, even if it's a small article. Does anybody who is reading this fail to see that there is a great difference in circumstances of 9/11, and the death of Princess Diana?

And I would never claim that, I wouldn't be actively disrespectful towards anybody who celebrates her life, but I feel that ten years is a long enough time for people to move on. 9/11 happened almost 6 years ago now, and when the 10th anniversary for that comes, it'll be all over the news too, and I'm sure that will annoy me as well, and actually, the 5 year anniversary media coverage annoyed me too, I'm not sticking up for 9/11 mourners and their continued mourning either, but I think that, beyond family and friends, anybody else mourning any of these people is stupid. And that's my opinion, nothing will change that, I'm not being disrespectful to people who do mourn her death, because I'm sure some of you who do will have been affected by her work positively, and feel grateful towards her and wish to remember her.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:46 PM #46
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by Z
Does anybody who is reading this fail to see that there is a great difference in circumstances of 9/11, and the death of Princess Diana?
There is a difference in circumstance but when it comes down to it, both events had loss of life.

My point is; why is it alright to constantly report about 9/11 (why haven't people "moved on"?), yet Diana's time is up?
Old 31-08-2007, 04:46 PM #47
Z

Z

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Z
Yet consider this.

Those 3000 lives together don't mean as much as Diana as a mother to William and Harry.
I'd feel the same!

If my mum died, her life would mean more to me than 3000 strangers.
They shouldn't not celebrate just cos people are sick of seeing her face in the media.

Edit: And thank you Billy, that was my point. Although she may not have directly affected someones life - she was still someones mother, someones daughter, a sister, wife etc. They celebrated amongst themselves, it's just unfortunate the media act on it like prey.
But nobody here is William or Harry, therefore rendering that point void. I agree with you, I'm trying to state the other side of the argument, I acknowledge that almost everything both you and Jack have said is correct, but I think that everything that I've said, excluding my opinion [well, not really.] is also correct. We could debate this all day, but I can only keep stressing that I simply don't care that she's been dead for 10 years, and I don't think it should be as newsworthy as it is. The same goes for when 9/11's 10th anniversary comes around, while I agree it was a very sad event, it didn't affect me, and it didn't even happen in this country, so as far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't be headlining our media.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:49 PM #48
Z

Z

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Z
Does anybody who is reading this fail to see that there is a great difference in circumstances of 9/11, and the death of Princess Diana?
There is a difference in circumstance but when it comes down to it, both events had loss of life.

My point is; why is it alright to constantly report about 9/11 (why haven't people "moved on"?), yet Diana's time is up?
I don't think 9/11's constantly reported?

For one thing, there's a 4 year gap between the two events, 9/11 is more current, and therefore less stale. Everything I've read about Diana the past few days is rehashed from previous articles.

In short, I've seen it all before, and it's boring.

That's why I feel Diana's "time is up" from the media. I wouldn't mind at all if her death was noted every ten years from now, in fact I'd probably be quite interested to re-read things I'd forgotten, but we read small articles, big articles, all sorts about her, just as we were starting to forget about her.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:50 PM #49
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by Z

But nobody here is William or Harry, therefore rendering that point void.
But those are the ones that organised both the memorial service today AND the concert which renders YOUR point void by saying it's a PR stunt and people should move on.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:50 PM #50

Even 10 years on, Princess Diana sparks so much debate, interest, enthusiasm and admiration. I’d say that in itself is pretty self-explanatory of what an amazing person she was, and I know that I for one will always remember and appreciate her for many years to come.
Bells is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
10, diana, princess, today, years