Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Reality TV Reality TV Show Discussion. Including Survivor, America's Next Top Model, RuPaul's Drag Race and The Only Way is Essex.

Old 26-11-2003, 09:46 PM #26

Quote:
Originally posted by LEE
I agree with you that Susanne is one of the most talented contstants left in there and I hope you are wrong and she doesn't go this weekend.

As to her singing songs that are unsuitable for her voice, she doesn't really have much choice in the matter with Pop Idols format of different themes every week. It does make good television, but it isn't very fair on the performers. I know people will say that they should have the ability to perform different styles of music equally well, but that isn't necessarily true - I mean look at Nora Jones, how would she have done in the disco week, and very few deny her star quality.
I hope I'm wrong LEE, but last Saturday when it was widely acknowledged Susanne performed better than the others she ended up finishing in the bottom two. And the different themes which demonstrate the versitility of the contestants voices have showed for several weeks Susanne struggling to maintain any consistency. She's still in there because she does have a great voice, personality and looks good.

One positive thing I will say is that Susanne appeared more confident on last Saturday's show, let's hope she can build on that.

I'm more or less certain the final will be between Chris and Sam now.
AndyJK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2003, 01:18 PM #27

Quote:
I'm more or less certain the final will be between Chris and Sam now.
Think you may be right, but Michelle could sneak in there. Though all the pushing Simon is giving her could backfire. I dont think that helped Gareth last year when despite all the pushing the best man won.

Personally I would like to see Mark in the final - he seems to be the only one who can actually see both ballads and up beat songs and seems to be growing in confidence. He doesnt have the individuality of Susanne for instance but is an all rounder.

This is the difference between Pop Idol and Fame Academy. I wonder how far Alex would have gone if she had been faced with Disco etc.
BusyBee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2003, 06:19 PM #28

I don't think that anyone is guaranteed to be leaving this Saturday, it's so open. Mark was in the bottom two a few weeks ago and he has been appeared to be safe recently, so anything could happen.

On another note, The Sun has published a story saying that the contestants only earn £150 pounds a week (plus living in the mansion and going to showbiz events of course )

Also they won't make a huge amount if their Christmas single goes to No.1.

Quote:
£150 a week pauper idols

POP Idol finalists are being paid £150 a week — while show bosses rake in millions.

Show judge Simon Cowell gets £1MILLION for four months work — around £60,000 a week.

And wannabes such as Susanne Manning and Michelle McManus will get less than 18 per cent of profits from their Christmas single between them.

If they get to No1 by selling 250,000 copies of Merry Christmas (War Is Over), each will earn £7,000.

Pop Idol bosses will take more than £500,000.

An insider said: “The contestants were forced to sign tight contracts.

“They live in-house and rehearse non-stop, with very little time off.

“These poor kids live in a goldfish bowl — and then there is no guarantee they will make it.”

The remaining singers — Michelle, Susanne, Sam Nixon, Chris Hide and Mark Rhodes — reckon their measly pay does not reflect the workload.

And losers will be banned from working for three months after the December 20 final.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...550320,00.html

Although the winner should do very nicely out of the series, judging from last year anyway. And don't forget that the finalists will get a cut from album, tour profits etc.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2003, 11:52 PM #29

I thought they'd receive more royalties for the single. I don't always believe what they say in the Sun so it's possible they made up the figures.

On RI:SE this morning, they were discussing Pop Idol and the contestant bookmakers predict will leave this Saturday, and which is (in order of most likely):

Susanne
Mark
Chris
Michelle
Sam
Old 29-11-2003, 09:41 PM #30

Well I think it could be Susanne whose time is up on the show tonight unless her fanbase starts hammering the redial button - which could happen.

It was a bit unfair of Pete to bring up the bullying allegations of the week in front of Susanne though. All that has done is inform anyone who wasn't already aware of them, and remind anyone who was of them.

The others were all of pretty similar quality I thought. Oh, and has anyone noticed that Foxy says the same things every week about the contestants. He always brings up the 'image vs talent' thing with Michelle and the vicar remark with Chris.
Old 29-11-2003, 09:57 PM #31

This is why I don't read the Sun, Mirror or trashy tabloids anymore. I haven't bought a copy of any of these newspapers for years. The journalism in our country is vile as Russell Crowe said on Jonathan Ross on Friday. If this was a story made up just to sell newspapers, quite frankly I'm sickened by it.

Susanne is definitely going tonight. I wasn't impressed with her performance at all. It was a combination of nerves and the wrong choice of song, which was a shame as the theme this week was a great chance for Susanne to shine. So I'm not even going to vote for Susanne tonight.

To his credit Sam was absolutely brilliant and is now my choice to win Pop Idol, although I still think Chris might snatch it.
Old 29-11-2003, 10:04 PM #32

I'm usually a big Susanne fan, but even i would admit that she wasn't great tonight. I hope she stays though.

My thoughts are as follows:

Michelle - brilliant
Chris - don't unserstand why everyone thought he was good tonight cos I thought he was terrible and out of tune for most of the song.
Susanne - disappointing
Mark - OK but not brill
Sam - Not struck on his performance at all tonight.

All in all I was really disappointed this week, I expected it to be excellent but it was mediocre, don't know who I want to go tonight, but for the record I don't think Susanne was the worst performance - I'd give that accolade to Chris.
LEE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-11-2003, 10:35 PM #33

Tonight's result was right, but I hope we haven't heard the last from Susanne.

I switched over to Pop Idol extra after and during the show Simon gave out Pete Waterman's mobile phone number out on air! Someone phoned him up shortly after and Pete eventually had to leave the stage.
Old 30-11-2003, 12:20 AM #34

Hurrah for Michelle - a champion for the 'larger lady....'

I thought Sam disappointing.. is he only 17??? (missed that bit of info!!)
blinkinlovely is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 02:38 PM #35

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
Strictly 2016: Greg Rutherford

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
Strictly 2016: Greg Rutherford

Sam is evens at the bookmakers to win
I think they might sing their christmas song during the results show
BigSister is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 04:25 PM #36

I think its now got to the stage where people have picked who they want to win and whatever their performance they will vote for them.

I too thought Chris was truly awful last night and Sam tried too hard. After her performances over the last few weeks Susanne had to pull out something extra special and to be honest she didnt. She therefore deserved to win. I love her voice though and with the right vehicle she could go far. Pop Idol is just not the right competition for her I think she would have done better in Fame Academy.

Who will win - I think Sam is this year's Gareth but will he overcome Michelle who has been consistently good throughout the series.
BusyBee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-11-2003, 08:57 PM #37

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyJK
I switched over to Pop Idol extra after and during the show Simon gave out Pete Waterman's mobile phone number out on air! Someone phoned him up shortly after and Pete eventually had to leave the stage.
That was so funny - Simon kept repeating the number and they bleeped it out on the repeats.

The programme might be lacking outstanding singers this year but the entertainment value of the show is top-notch.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:21 PM #38

Quote:
Originally posted by James
That was so funny - Simon kept repeating the number and they bleeped it out on the repeats.

The programme might be lacking outstanding singers this year but the entertainment value of the show is top-notch.
I still can't believe Simon did that I wonder if Pete took offence at it. It's very difficult to tell when Pete's angry or upset as he's so laid back.

And I think Mark will go tonight.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
idol, pop, who's