Notices

International Big Brother Big Brother around the world!

Old 23-12-2001, 08:21 PM #26

Ok people calm down. We all love Helen and Paul and we all have been looking round for quotes, we're bound to be looking in some of the same places. It doesn't matter where we find them, the whole point of this board is to share our feelings and thoughts, not to be exclusive to one board or one site.
And it's christmas so lets all be nice to each other :xmas2:
Janette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2001, 09:48 PM #27
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by WILDCHILD2K1How sarcastic can you get?! Its not like they are your Helenisims, yeah you might have found them but the quotes are all over the net.
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkI believe I owe an apology.......

Sorry Helen for not asking you if I could use your quotes.

I will try to next time.

Wildchild: How sarcastic can I get? A LOT more, believe me.

Of course the quotes aren't mine, and of course I don't have an exclusive right to use them.

But Mark blatently copied and pasted from http://eyeonreality.tv/features/helenisms.php

At the very least it is unpolite not to credit the source. A lot of work went into compiling the list - not just by me, but by friends and those who have posted in another forum.

At the other extreme it is plagerism. Before you all shout "Ah, but it was Helen that said them", it is not so much Mark using the quotes themselves, but the fact he mearly copied and pasted without any attempt to credit. Not only did he copy the quotes, but the explanations which went with them - take the Helenism concerning Bubble's attempt at the record, for example. He directly published MY explanation.

I do not mind that Mark made the post he did as such. In fact, it is flattering that others think the work I have done is worth reproducing. And it would be churlish to refuse to share such snippets with the rest of the BB community.

But Mark should take heed of the phrase 'credit where credit's due". Perhaps he is not too familier with the importance of this concept yet - those who have studied in higher education will appreciate what I am trying to say - but it is VITAL that other peoples work is accordingly credited.

I know this is not the first time that people have had to mention this to Mark. Just to clarify what is considered acceptable: If there is just a snippet of text is used, like above, then some basic acknowledgement (e.g. I found these at http://eyeonreality.tv) is usually sufficient. If more substantial, such as an entire passage of text or some form of graphics, then permission should be obtained.

The beauty of the online BB community is that each site is unique and takes things from a slightly different angle. For a site to just take the best aspects of others and centralise the work of others will lead to a dull experience.

Let's keep it diverse. Make your own features - take inspiration from others by all means, but give it a unique twist rather than trying to amalgermate the entire BB community onto one site. And give credit where it's due!
disco is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2001, 10:26 PM #28

Disco, when you first posted a comment about the Helenisms, I asked Mark about it, asked him where he had got them from.

He said that he didn't remember, that he'd copied them off a site months ago cos he'd thought they were really funny, and forgotten about them. After starting the section on favourite quotes and Helenisms he found them on his computer and added them to the already existing thread.

I think it's been a misunderstanding, Mark probably shouldn't have just copied them wholesale, but I really don't think he remembered where they were from. I know that way before starting bbfans/eyeonreality.tv you had (and still have) your davidprince.com site. I remember reading your section on Helen there ages and ages ago and I'm sure this is where Mark must have got them from.

May I apologise on Mark's behalf. There is enough room out there for several BB sites and I for one do not see why any of us needs to compete. The majority of posters know of the existence of all of the sites, quite often posting on several and surely we should all be friends. In fact I thought we were.

Let's lighten up guys and have a very Merry Christmas and look forward to the start of BB3 in the New Year.

:santa::xmas2::frosty::rudolph::xmas::snowman:
LEE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2001, 11:18 PM #29
Banned

Banned

Thanks for that, LEE. Like I said, I don't mind Mark posting them, just that a bit of acknowledgment would have been nicer than Mark's attempt to patronise.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark
I believe I owe an apology.......

Sorry Helen for not asking you if I could use your quotes.

I will try to next time.

Happy Christmas Disco!

Mark
Anyway, hope you all have a fantastic Christmas :xmas:
disco is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2001, 11:40 PM #30

I'm sure it's very easy to forget where you originally got half your stuff from. I know I got about 10 different emails containing long lists of Helenisms both during and after the show. There are also loads of web-sites that have a core 15 or so. So as an idea, I don't think it's realistic for there to become a single source.

Some lists are definitely better than others and those that create them thoughtfully should be praised. Being an obsessive it annoyed me most when some people had obviously taken to exaggerating some of them. In particular "Dove's a bird innit" was often changed to "What is a dove?"

At least these ones are reasonably accurate.
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
favourite, helenisms