Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 14-04-2008, 12:44 PM #1

Default 100 years, on 15th April, since the Titanic sank

No alot of people will reallyy care but i just thought i would post this.

Tonight marks the 96th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.
Sod_James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 12:45 PM #2
GetReadyToFly

Favourites (more):
BB12 USA: Rachel
Dancing on Ice 2010: Danniella
GetReadyToFly

Favourites (more):
BB12 USA: Rachel
Dancing on Ice 2010: Danniella

Wow, 96 years, didn't know it was that long ago.
Ruth*Star is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 12:46 PM #3
Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Frozen

Favourites (more):

2012 is the 100 years aniversery!
Harry! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 12:47 PM #4

Quote:
Originally posted by Posted
2012 is the 100 years aniversery!
Yep.
Old 14-04-2008, 12:52 PM #5
Frozen

Favourites (more):

Frozen

Favourites (more):

Theres only one survivor left 'Millvina Dean' (She lives in Southampton)
Old 14-04-2008, 12:53 PM #6

Quote:
Yeh but shes not well at the moment. Shes had to cancel her engagements for this years anniversary services. Dont think shes got long left.
Old 14-04-2008, 12:55 PM #7
Frozen

Favourites (more):

Frozen

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Sod_James
Quote:
Yeh but shes not well at the moment. Shes had to cancel her engagements for this years anniversary services. Dont think shes got long left.
Hopes she lives too 2012.
Old 14-04-2008, 12:58 PM #8

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeh it would awesome. i would love to meet her one day she was only about 2 months old when the Titanic sank and she cant remember nothing about it. her father was killed in the disaster.
Old 14-04-2008, 12:59 PM #9
Frozen

Favourites (more):

Frozen

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeh it would awesome. i would love to meet her one day she was only about 2 months old when the Titanic sank and she cant remember nothing about it. her father was killed in the disaster.
Nose round Southampton.
Old 14-04-2008, 01:12 PM #10

Favourites (more):
UBB: Chantelle
BB11: Josie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Aww and wow 96 years on! x
Christina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 01:45 PM #11
Frozen

Favourites (more):

Frozen

Favourites (more):

Default Titanic doomed by fire raging below decks, says new theory

http://www.independent.co.uk/

A new theory that a fire in a coal bunker on the liner RMS Titanic contributed to its sinking has been put forward, as the fate of the liner remains a subject of debate ahead of the 96th anniversary of the disaster later this week.

Ray Boston, who has devoted 20 years to researching the subject, said the reason Titanic was travelling so quickly through dangerous waters was because of an "uncontrollable" coal fire on board which began during speed trials in Belfast 10 days before it left Southampton.

The fire was still burning when the liner set off, creating a floating time bomb which had the potential to cause "serious explosions" below decks before it reached New York.

Mr Boston cites the testimony of Bruce Ismay, the managing director of the White Star Line, which owned Titanic, to an inquiry into the catastrophe in which he told investigators he was forced by John Pierpont Morgan, the ultimate owner of the ship, to instruct the crew to cross the Atlantic at full speed.

"Morgan thought it was necessary, in order to justify his gamble, that they should reach New York and unload all the passengers before the inevitable explosions occurred," he said.

Fireman J Dilley, a stoker aboard Titanic who survived to give evidence to the inquiry, added weight to the suggestion of an uncontrollable fire in coal bunker six of the ship.

"We didn't get that fire out and among the stokers there was talk that we'd have to empty the big coal bunkers after we'd put the passengers off in New York and then call on the fireboats there to help us put out the fire," he said.

"But we didn't need such help. It was right under bunker number six that the iceberg tore the biggest hole in the Titanic."

At 11.40pm on April 14, 1912 Titanic struck an iceberg while travelling at high speed through the icy waters of the Atlantic, and by 2.20am she had sunk beneath the waves with the loss of nearly 1,500 passengers and crew. Just 711 people were saved.

An inquiry into the disaster, presented to Parliament in the summer of 1912, described the ship as travelling at "high speed" through the dangerous ice-filled waters, giving the crew little opportunity to avoid a fatal collision with an iceberg.

The inquiry found that Titanic's speed, of about 22 knots, was "excessive" considering where it was, off the coast of Newfoundland, and that additional look-outs should have been posted on all sides of the liner rather than just in the crow's nest.

When the look-out spotted the approaching iceberg, he sounded the warning and the vessel was immediately turned hard to starboard and the engines put into full reverse, but it was already too late to avoid disaster.

Mr Boston said it was clear that Morgan was aware of the fire before the ship set sail but that the news was hushed up so as not to alarm passengers.

It was, perhaps, for this reason that Morgan quietly cancelled his ticket on the maiden voyage the day before the ship set sail, said Mr Boston.

"The crew, who had been sworn to silence, knew very well he was not [on board] because they had watched him, late on the night before his ship was due to sail... carrying his own luggage down to his Rolls-Royce on the quayside," he said.

"Why? Because he knew there was an uncontrollable fire down in coal bunker number six."

But not all experts on the disaster agree with Mr Boston's assessment. Geoff Pattison, a member of the American and British Titanic Societies and lecturer at Northumbria University, is sceptical.

"The Diana inquiry took 10 years and millions of pounds to decide that it was an accident, and this is how I view the Titanic," he said.

"I think this is a case of conspiracy after the fact, like the Kennedy assassination. It was just a simple twist of fate."
Old 14-04-2008, 01:48 PM #12
Frozen

Favourites (more):

Frozen

Favourites (more):

Last known Titanic survivor has KC connection

http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8....kcbullion.com

Did the cold Atlantic air wake her before the lifeboat swung away?

Before being popped into a sack, did she sense the confusion and fear on the sloping deck where her doomed father stood?

Surely, her tiny ears picked up the distress blasts from the settling Titanic, the fading cries of those in the black water’s freezing clutch, the moans and gasps from shocked fellow survivors in the rocking boat. Did she even cry?

We will never know. Millvina Dean was only 2 months old when the Titanic went down, and all of her memories are hand-me-downs from her mother.

She was the youngest survivor. Now, at 96, she is the last, the only living direct connection to the tragedy.

A connection with a Kansas City connection.

She and her family were on their way to a relative’s home in Hyde Park. Her father, Bertram Dean, intended to open a tobacco shop here.

They were supposed to leave Southampton aboard another White Star liner, but a coal strike caused them to be transferred to the massive new ship. A third-class berth was all they could afford for their cruise into history.

At their last European stop in Queenstown, Ireland, Georgette Eva Dean got off a postcard to her parents: “Dear Mother, just a card to say we are enjoying ourselves fine up to now. Little baby was very restless. With best love, Ettie.”

Little baby Elizabeth Gladys — now known as Millvina — did not know until she was 8 years old, when her mother was about to remarry, that she was even a survivor of the sinking in the early morning of April 15, 1912.

She lived with her mother and, because of Ettie’s reticence, was not involved in Titanic commemorations until her 70s, although her older brother Bert enthusiastically granted interviews until his death.

Now, Dean has cut back her appearances. She had hoped to be present Friday at a 96th anniversary event in Southampton, near where she still lives, but she canceled because of a chest infection and loss of her voice.

“I am truly sorry that I won’t be able to do the talk on Friday, as I was so looking forward to it, and I hope people won’t be too disappointed,” local press quoted her as saying.

In October, Barbara West Dainton died at age 96 in England, after decades of silence. The year before, the last American survivor, Lillian Gertrud Asplund, passed away at age 99. She had been old enough to remember the ice in the sea.

In past interviews, Dean has said:

•“Before they found the wreck (in 1985) I was living an ordinary simple life.”

•“I have no regrets. I’ve found it all most interesting, and I always like meeting people.”

•“Some people are obsessed with me. Some even look upon me as if I am the Titanic!”

•“I can’t bear iced drinks. The iceberg, you know.”

The iceberg. Many were not aware of the collision, but Bertram Dean was wakened by it. That implies their cabin was forward.

In any event, he left to investigate and quickly returned to get the children dressed and up on deck.

Millvina Dean: “A lot of people thought the ship was unsinkable and stayed in their cabins, but he wanted us out straightaway.”

Some of the myths and mysteries around the infamous sinking may never be straightened out, from what the game-to-the-end orchestra was playing (“Nearer My God to Thee” or “Songe d’Automne”?) to why the officers were so cavalier about the ice field ahead of them. A small one: Which lifeboat saved the Deans?
Old 14-04-2008, 02:08 PM #13

Every Titanic historian knows of the fire in the coal bunker and its a known fact that the fire was burning since she left Belfast city. Weather or not the coal fire was 'ragging' is unlikely. many crew members report there being a small burning of coal in one of the bunkers which was discovered and dealt with during the days before the sinking.

To suggests that White Star Line would let a ship sail out to sea with what is discribed as a 'ragging fire' is unlikely.

It's just another conspiracy that is suggested and one, with no doubt, will spark more contreversay about what actually happened on the night of April 14th 1912
Old 14-04-2008, 02:09 PM #14
Frozen

Favourites (more):

Frozen

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Every Titanic historian knows of the fire in the coal bunker and its a known fact that the fire was burning since she left Belfast city. Weather or not the coal fire was 'ragging' is unlikely. many crew members report there being a small burning of coal in one of the bunkers which was discovered and dealt with during the days before the sinking.

To suggests that White Star Line would let a ship sail out to sea with what is discribed as a 'ragging fire' is unlikely.

It's just another conspiracy that is suggested and one, with no doubt, will spark more contreversay about what actually happened on the night of April 14th 1912
Do you know EVERYTHING about the Titanic?
Old 14-04-2008, 02:14 PM #15

Quote:
Quote:

Do you know EVERYTHING about the Titanic?
Well i have been researching and reading into it for 11 years now but to say i know everything is impossible. Im just an amateur compared to the proper Titanic Historians.
Old 15-04-2008, 06:57 AM #16
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

I will consult some experts on another forum and get back to you on this one
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 04:25 PM #17
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

I managed to consult two engineering / science websites

Bad Astronomy

Apollo Hoax

Enjoy
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 04:58 PM #18
Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:
BB14 USA: Britney

Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:

I've taken a lot of interest into the Titanic. I'm hoping to go to the planned big event in Belfast, in 2010.
Callum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 05:15 PM #19
Jay Boy

Favourites (more):
BB16: Harriet
CBB15: Perez Hilton

Jay Boy

Favourites (more):
BB16: Harriet
CBB15: Perez Hilton

titanic sank on April 15th at 2.20, so really today is the anniversary, she only hit the iceberg on April 14th
Fat.Rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 06:02 PM #20

How can they suddenly say a fire caused it ninety six years on? Im still convinced with the iceberg
Xander is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 06:03 PM #21

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

After reading this yesterday, i had a dream about the Titanic but it was a ride at thorpe park and everyone was to scared to go on it xx
Christina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 06:03 PM #22
Frozen

Favourites (more):

Frozen

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum
I've taken a lot of interest into the Titanic. I'm hoping to go to the planned big event in Belfast, in 2010.
Southampton 2012.
Old 15-04-2008, 06:04 PM #23
Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:

Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Callum
Southampton 2012.
That's the one. it's such a tragic story, the film of it always makes me cry.
Callum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 06:15 PM #24

Theres a multi million development going on up in belfast where Harland & Wolfe is atm (Shipyard Titanic was built at) It includes a pravillion and even a sky scraper (As if Belfast has use for one )

It's being named 'Titanic Quarter' and is in a long line of recent developments including: Victoria Square, Waterfront hall, First Asda in NI, New City Airport aka George Best City airport The opel tower, some art gallery, a new chunk of redeveloped road near the Domestic Airport, the city hall redevelopment and a few more smaller things like re-generation/clean up projects.

Official site, look at the header, its going to be pretty impressive:

http://www.titanic-quarter.com/

EDIT: Just before the strange shaped building at the heart of the develepment is an origional Titanic tug boat and a large rectange to make way for a life sized scale lazer model of Titanic. (Dunno how its going to work but it's rumoured to be veeeeery expensive)
Conor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 06:18 PM #25
Frozen

Favourites (more):

Frozen

Favourites (more):

My heart will go on (From my youtube accont)

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
96, decks, doomed, fire, merged, raging, theory, titanic, years